Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Only cronenberg stuff I've seen is Eastern Promises, A History of Violence, and The Fly. What should I get as a blind-buy from criterion? Videodrome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Mahasamatman posted:

Only cronenberg stuff I've seen is Eastern Promises, A History of Violence, and The Fly. What should I get as a blind-buy from criterion? Videodrome?

I think so. Wether it’s his best or not (it’s my favorite), it’s probably the most essential.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Mahasamatman posted:

naked lunch

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'd definitely go Videodrome, although Dead RIngers/Naked Lunch are both good picks also

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Brood is solid if you’re into weirdo 70’s horror, though I’d pick up Videodrome first if you don’t have it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Videodrome is essential, and Dead Ringers is worth it for Jeremy Irons giving what may be the finest performance in horror cinema.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Buy Videodrome

Also, the Criterion for Dead Ringers has been oop for like 15 years.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Boo, Criterion! Boo!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion lost the rights because the Morgan Creek library was distributed by Warner Bros.

Shout! Factory only got the rights after they had left WB, which is also how they got The Exorcist III and Nightbreed.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

I saw a Barnes and Noble had a bluray copy of Repo Man and Thief about 20 miles from me so I figured it would be fun to drive out and pick those up (couldnt order repo man on the website.) I got there and they were both DVD copies, but I did grab Videodrome and Blood Simple.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Goons....I did a bad bad thing....

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Goons....I did a bad bad thing....

Send bludes

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion lost the rights because the Morgan Creek library was distributed by Warner Bros.

Shout! Factory only got the rights after they had left WB, which is also how they got The Exorcist III and Nightbreed.

The German edition of Dead Ringers looks like the one to get judging by Caps-a-holic's comparison. However, I'm not sure if it's region free.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Send bludes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So that’s where I recognized Gritty from.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mahasamatman posted:

I saw a Barnes and Noble had a bluray copy of Repo Man and Thief about 20 miles from me so I figured it would be fun to drive out and pick those up (couldnt order repo man on the website.) I got there and they were both DVD copies, but I did grab Videodrome and Blood Simple.
That's why you call ahead and tell them to hold stuff! Think, man! Think!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thief is so good. For some reason Thief reminds me a lot of Blackhat because of how lean it feels.

Has anyone in here seen the Director's Cut of Blackhat that was VOD only? I've read that the entire flow of the movie is different from the producer-mandated theatrical cut.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i watched it when fx aired it and all i remember is that they shifted the placement of the nuclear reactor explosion sequence

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

One movie I almost bought the other night then ended up putting back on the shelf was Mike Leigh's Naked. I watched that last year and it's a very good movie but it's so dark and cynical. I don't know that I could own something like that. When do you pull something like that off your bookcase and watch it? I feel the same way about Son of Saul and Come and See and Fish Tank. I'm glad I watched them but I don't know if I can watch them again ever. Ditto documentaries like Hoop Dreams or Dying at Grace. Those both had a huge effect on me but I don't know if I could watch them again anytime soon (OK I think I could definitely watch Hoop Dreams again some day...) How do you guys feel about downers in your collection?

Horror movies or dark comedies this never seems to apply to for me. I could watch Hereditary 20 more times or ditto Brazil. Mullholland Drive occupies a weird middle space here.

I'm gonna buy 2 more movies this sale, but I've almost bought Naked three times now and I don't think I'll end up buying it.

Mahasamatman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 5, 2018

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I love Naked. Considering how dark, lonely, and forboding it is a lot of the time...god drat is it ever funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVOhXc3QWE&t=47s

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

I saw Hausu/House on Halloween w no prior knowledge aside from its trailer. A loving fever dream. Absolutely insane.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I've never seen it but I told my boss that I picked up the blu and it looks like we're gonna do a friend's only show on the 50 foot screen one of these nights :slick:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mahasamatman posted:

... How do you guys feel about downers in your collection?

I own Salò, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have no issues rewatching a downer if it's a quality film. I just watched Come and See for the first time this weekend and I'd be willing to rewatch it in the near future, especially if it was released with a commentary track.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Naked is so good. I could watch it anytime. I'm an extremely cynical person tho, which makes any depressing media more palatable I suppose.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cloks posted:

I own Salò, so take this with a grain of salt, but I have no issues rewatching a downer if it's a quality film. I just watched Come and See for the first time this weekend and I'd be willing to rewatch it in the near future, especially if it was released with a commentary track.

I'd argue downers are the best films.

I've only watched Salo once, but I've seen films like Irreversible, mother!, Naked, Melancholia, Antichrist, Blue Valentine, etc quite a few times each.

My two favorite films of all time have some major bummer moments, The Thin Red Line and Andrei Rublev.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Boywhiz88 posted:

I saw Hausu/House on Halloween w no prior knowledge aside from its trailer. A loving fever dream. Absolutely insane.

House is like an all-female cast R-rated live-action Scooby-Doo musical where the theater slipped a couple tabs of LSD into your drink at the concession stand and it doesn’t start to hit until 20 minutes in.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Kurosawa's filmography is varied enough that it's impossible to say whether High & Low or Kagemusha is more essential. If you want the full picture of who Kurosawa was as a filmmaker they're both essential.

I've put off seeing Kagemusha as it's the last major Kurosawa film I haven't seen.

Dodes'ka-den is severely underseen and underrated. It reminds me of Small Change (1976) which is another great but less heralded film by a well known director.

Mahasamatman posted:

When do you pull something like that off your bookcase and watch it? I feel the same way about Son of Saul and Come and See and Fish Tank. I'm glad I watched them but I don't know if I can watch them again ever.

How do you guys feel about downers in your collection?

I feel that Come and See is too good to be seen only once.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Maybe it's just how close some of these things are to stuff that I really care about. Andrei Rublev is definitely my favorite film, but it's got some real rays of light in it. Naked, Come and See, Dying at Grace, Amour, Son of Saul... these things maybe are just too close to real world problems I deal with or have dealt with, or my anxiety over Nazis being back in a big way. I made a shopping list of criterion stuff to buy and then realized as I was about to buy some of them that I don't know what state of mind I'd have to be in to watch them. All 5 of the above movies are 5/5 on my letterboxd but they just get to me too much. Feel too real. Whereas stuff like Leviathan (2014) or scorsese's Silence I could probably watch anytime. I'm a hot mess though, was just wondering if this happened to anyone else with particular films or a set of films.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I bought the Allan King boxset probably two years ago, I bought it for Dying at Grace, and I still haven't worked up the nerve to watch it. If anything, I think I've become less willing to confront my mortality.

I don't really have this same sort of trouble with any fiction.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 5, 2018

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Has anyone in here seen the Director's Cut of Blackhat that was VOD only? I've read that the entire flow of the movie is different from the producer-mandated theatrical cut.

Yeah, it works much better by having the nuclear explosion in the middle of the film. It feels like the stakes keep getting higher instead of, literally, starting the film with a bang. Also, when compared to the theatrical version, it's almost painfully obvious that the VOD is the original cut. I wish it was available on BD.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Rollersnake posted:

I bought the Allan King boxset probably two years ago, I bought it for Dying at Grace, and I still haven't worked up the nerve to watch it. If anything, I think I've become less willing to confront my mortality.

Dying at Grace changed my understanding of life.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

have you seen la gueule ouverte? it's maybe the only fiction film about death that is as harrowing as dying at grace imo

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I stopped by B&N without anything in mind and just ended up grabbing the Monterrey Pop set to give my dad for Christmas. I think I'm gonna stop by again and grab something for myself, what're your top blind-buys?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Toebone posted:

I stopped by B&N without anything in mind and just ended up grabbing the Monterrey Pop set to give my dad for Christmas. I think I'm gonna stop by again and grab something for myself, what're your top blind-buys?

If you think space is cool, get ‘For All Mankind’.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Toebone posted:

Pierre Etaix

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Toebone posted:

what're your top blind-buys?

Dekalog, Essential Jacques Demy, The Night of the Hunter, A Brighter Summer Day, A Touch of Zen

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Toebone posted:

Any Wes Anderson, but mostly Rushmore and Moonrise Kingdom

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Stalker, Sword of Doom, and A Touch of Zen are probably my biggest blind-buy hits. I've rewatched all three since buying them and enjoyed them even more than the first time.

Also the Apu trilogy. Those movies are timeless and I can see myself going back to them every few years.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Toebone posted:

in the realm of the senses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
A Touch of Zen looks awesome, I think I'll grab that and maybe Sword of Doom. Thanks!