Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that's just asking for an rear end kicking. They should have waited a month and said "hey everyone that thinks that game sucks come try our awesome poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can’t blame them for thinking they could compete I suppose. The game does everything CoD did at the time, and flat out does it better, plus more (obviously awesome giant robots).

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh I agree it does compete with those games, when tf1 came out my friends were describing it as future call of duty.

That's just a pretty big blunder on their part trying to go head to head against an established game franchise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Can’t blame them for thinking they could compete I suppose. The game does everything CoD did at the time, and flat out does it better, plus more (obviously awesome giant robots).

Battlefield was already meant to be EA’s big competitor to COD ever since BF3 though. Releasing TF2 right in between them was just forcing it to compete with EA’s own property too, not just COD, and pretty much sending it out to die

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh I agree it does compete with those games, when tf1 came out my friends were describing it as future call of duty.

That's just a pretty big blunder on their part trying to go head to head against an established game franchise.

Yeah, Call of Duty sucks but it still does numbers because it's established. Trying to compete with it is a really dumb idea.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Digirat posted:

Battlefield was already meant to be EA’s big competitor to COD ever since BF3 though. Releasing TF2 right in between them was just forcing it to compete with EA’s own property too, not just COD, and pretty much sending it out to die
At the time, I chalked it up to EA maybe trying to grab the folks who don't like the World War setting, and catch the modern/sci-fi FPS crowd. But Infinite Warfare was that year, with the Modern Warfare remaster, so even though IW was awful, it was fighting uphill even more.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I'm still pretty impressed I can still get games (ps4) pretty frequently in this whenever I have the itch, which has been a lot lately. I hope if there is another Titanfall they don't gently caress it up :v:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Has TF2 ever been a free PSN+ title? I feel like it should be, but I don't think EA gets on board with the free PSN+ system.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Captain Beans posted:

Has TF2 ever been a free PSN+ title? I feel like it should be, but I don't think EA gets on board with the free PSN+ system.

EA has made BF3 PS+ during the last console gen. so it COULD happen.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
So I tried to play this last night and got the absolute poo poo kicked out of me for 2 hours.

Last on every leaderboard, tryhard people with Pro Displays in the 6000s running around getting 40+ kills on Attrition and just merc'ing everyone and everything. Lost every game and again I must stress I was dead last and contributing nearly nothing, we're talking 1:5 k/d ratios here.

It was actually a terrible experience so I wouldn't recommend people of average skill get back into the game, it's functionally dead in my experience. Only the dedicated remain.

If you're good like Wazzit and company, yeah this game still has a ton of life in it. Got a game every 2 minutes, too bad about the quality of 'em

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

So I tried to play this last night and got the absolute poo poo kicked out of me for 2 hours.

Last on every leaderboard, tryhard people with Pro Displays in the 6000s running around getting 40+ kills on Attrition and just merc'ing everyone and everything. Lost every game and again I must stress I was dead last and contributing nearly nothing, we're talking 1:5 k/d ratios here.

It was actually a terrible experience so I wouldn't recommend people of average skill get back into the game, it's functionally dead in my experience. Only the dedicated remain.

If you're good like Wazzit and company, yeah this game still has a ton of life in it. Got a game every 2 minutes, too bad about the quality of 'em

PC or Console, cause I imagine it would be harder to pick it up on PC

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Tf2 literally spoiled me on shooters. Everyone i go into now im just like why does this suck so loving much look at tf2 theres your standard loving meet it.

Also christ the art in COD:BLOPs is so loving bad it makes me miss this game even more.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

drrockso20 posted:

I play on PC but from my couch, which means I'm using a controller. I've always been average-at-best when it comes to shooters, but I still manage to land in the middle of the scoreboards pretty frequently and I have a blast doing it. :shrug:

I hope Titanfall 3 plays just as well with controller.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

New black ops is pretty alright tbh

That said, nothing beats TF2’s overall ease of entry into gameplay. You don’t have to have an insane KDR to contribute to the team by any means, and that’s one of my favorite things about it.

You find some sweaty lobbies on TF2 for sure, but much less than any other FPS. With some group coordination you can easily beat the sweatiest of lobbies

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Seconding the hope for TF2 on psplus free game. Never had as much fun with a console online as with that game, and the thought of the nz/aus community numbers jumping back up makes me wetter than the Pacific

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Titanfall 2 is the best FPS ever made.

There. I said it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

drrockso20 posted:

Console, and I already had picked it up. My guy was Gen 5 and change, so it was very disheartening to see that it was almost 100% super-harddcore players on a Friday night.

Maybe it's because Red Dead and CoD siphoned off the casuals? I hope so. Would like to play again someday.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Console, and I already had picked it up. My guy was Gen 5 and change, so it was very disheartening to see that it was almost 100% super-harddcore players on a Friday night.

Maybe it's because Red Dead and CoD siphoned off the casuals? I hope so. Would like to play again someday.

Weird, I haven't run into too many hardcore players since I reinstalled a couple days ago, maybe you just got really unlucky?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

There are definitely some annoyingly good players, but I find it's more of a time of day kind of thing.

What's your setup, pilot/titan?

Also, many people underestimate the value of going after minions, which makes a huge difference early/late match.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I played a couple rounds on Xbox last night and just had average fun games. My PC is dead currently or else I would've tried there too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

New black ops is pretty alright tbh

That said, nothing beats TF2’s overall ease of entry into gameplay. You don’t have to have an insane KDR to contribute to the team by any means, and that’s one of my favorite things about it.

You find some sweaty lobbies on TF2 for sure, but much less than any other FPS. With some group coordination you can easily beat the sweatiest of lobbies

Having random poo poo to kill helps even when you have the game down but you want to try a new loadout. In the new CoD changing my guns up absolutely tanks my ability to contribute to the game at all while I get a feel for them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Huh well maybe I had a bad go at it. I'll try again.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I had some good games about a week ago evening est time. However, these past two nights it's been a lot of getting steam rolled to the point where I only broke 100 score on attrition once out of like 12 games :v:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kithyen posted:

I had some good games about a week ago evening est time. However, these past two nights it's been a lot of getting steam rolled to the point where I only broke 100 score on attrition once out of like 12 games :v:

lol dude I was pushing 30 most of the time. Like I said, that's getting rekt to the point it isn't fun. I don't need to be a superstar but not getting my bhole turned inside out would be nice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol dude I was pushing 30 most of the time. Like I said, that's getting rekt to the point it isn't fun. I don't need to be a superstar but not getting my bhole turned inside out would be nice.

Okay, try this loadout. Start watching the minimap for crowds of peons and just throw C4 at them, instant death. C4 and Thunderbolt combo also works on Reapers. Also, if you decide to take A-Wall and see a couple Reapers throw that wall down and tear them to shreds with the R97.

- turn on auto sprint option
- widen the FoV in options

Pilot -

choose either

- Stim (mobile) w/ Alternator, run and gun, fast reload (tap fire the Alternator like a pistol for best results)

- or A-Wall (stationary) w/ R97, extra ammo, run and gun

- C4 or Frag grenades (C4 is all around one of the best for attacking minions, works very well against Titans, too)

- Explosive Expert Kit 1 (allows incredible precision with nades, hastens nade cooldown)
- Titan Hunter Kit 2 ( combine this with Thunderbolt and you'll have a Titan before everyone else)

Boost should either be Extra Battery or Pilot Sentry Turret

AT weapon should be Thunderbolt w/ extra ammo and fast reload. Fire it like a travelling AoE, that is not at titans but past them down a hallway (watch your Titan meter go UP UP UP)

Titan

For now you should ALWAYS spawn in titan and then work your way in. Many noob titans are lost to unfortunately placed or timed titan drops.

Gonna suggest Tone here to get started. Play Tone like a support. Hang around other titans and give them shields. Fire pulse beacon super often to help the whole team get wall hacks.

titan kit should be Overcore and Pulse Echo.

Get as many locks on enemy titans as you can from medium-long range BEFORE you fire your basic missile volleys. You'll have a Salvo Core in no time because of Overcore. Fire Salvo Core straight up into the sky, let the missiles travel for a second, then aim your cursor at a titan and watch the insanity drop from orbit and absolutely gently caress them up.

Avoid short range battle when using Tone unless you're up against a Scorch and know your surroundings. Avoid drawing the attention of Ronin since Ronin is a Tone counter. Stick somewhat close to friendly Scorches and Legions. Let friendly Ions and Ronins go do their own thing. Tone is an incredibly effective pilot hunter, too. Embrace that!

Good luck!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 5, 2018

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was on the verge of buying Black Ops 4 to get my Shoot Things urges sated but then I remembered that in a just and good world Titanfall 2 should've been considered the de facto gold standard for fast-paced multiplayer shooting, and it died a horrible, insulting death and I got so disgusted by the injustice of it all that every whim I had to buy Blops vanished into the ether

Goddamn it Titanfall 2 was so loving good and I feel like a madman who sees the hands that control the world operating beyond the veil of mortal ken as people walk idly by HOW DID PEOPLE NOT SEE HOW GOOD THIS GAME WAS, WHY DID PEOPLE REFUSE TO PLAY IT, WHY

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Songbearer posted:

HOW DID PEOPLE NOT SEE HOW GOOD THIS GAME WAS, WHY DID PEOPLE REFUSE TO PLAY IT, WHY

"I want BOOTS ON THE GROUND" *rabble rabble*

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Never thought of using Amp Wall + R97. Hmm gonna try that out.

I've made it to Gen 5 and Tone is still level 6 or so. I will never play Tone. Little too brain dead for me.

I did discover that Monarch is NOT the Titan to play when you're getting back into the game, lol!

Songbearer posted:

Goddamn it Titanfall 2 was so loving good and I feel like a madman who sees the hands that control the world operating beyond the veil of mortal ken as people walk idly by HOW DID PEOPLE NOT SEE HOW GOOD THIS GAME WAS, WHY DID PEOPLE REFUSE TO PLAY IT, WHY

People want those stupid rear end realisitc games (anecdotal experience)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I've made it to Gen 5 and Tone is still level 6 or so. I will never play Tone. Little too brain dead for me.

Fair enough. I'm a Scorch main followed by Northstar, but I feel weird recommending those two to people who are having a hard time because they're so particular. I think Tone is far more balanced than when the game launched and requires more strategy as a support player now, but if he's not your bag then I'd say go Legion or Ion.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Songbearer posted:

I was on the verge of buying Black Ops 4 to get my Shoot Things urges sated but then I remembered that in a just and good world Titanfall 2 should've been considered the de facto gold standard for fast-paced multiplayer shooting, and it died a horrible, insulting death and I got so disgusted by the injustice of it all that every whim I had to buy Blops vanished into the ether

:same:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

People want those stupid rear end realisitc games (anecdotal experience)

I mean, one of the main selling points the BLOPS developers hit on its reveal was "No more jetpacks or wallrunning yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhh!!!"

:smithicide:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be fair, all those extra movement options raises the skill ceiling really high for dumb idiot casuals like myself.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Blops III wallrunning sucks compared to the intuitive, natural as your own skin wallrunning and momentum preserving slide maneuvers TF2 gave you. There's no hitching or weird mechanical mount/dismount moments or anything to slow you down like Blops has. You get to feel like a greased up future soldier mix of RoboCop, Spiderman and Icarus all at once.

TF2 was the best shooter ever and frankly if all they ever released was more content for it I probably wouldn't play anything else again but new monster hunter releases.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 6, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Gimme Lost Planet 2 x Titanfall 2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Xarbala posted:

To be fair, all those extra movement options raises the skill ceiling really high for dumb idiot casuals like myself.

This is the reason. Titanfall 2 has enough skill based movement that it's going to alienate large audiences, and it feels more like a shooter from the early 00s.

And Respawn was so cagey about the inclusion of skill based moves like slide-hopping prior to release that I get the feeling even if EA gave them free reign over the game...they would've been even happier if Respawn had dumbed it down a bunch.

I dunno, the relationship between Respawn and EA has been so weird to watch unfold.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

TF2 was the best shooter ever and frankly if all they ever released was more content for it I probably wouldn't play anything else again but new monster hunter releases.

This is fairly accurate to my position on things, give or take a little TLoU.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Argas posted:

Gimme Lost Planet 2 x Titanfall 2

GODDAMMIT I how could I forget about Lost Planet 2!?! That game knew what cool was and was rad enough to let you actually do it too. The railway cannon level where you and your squad work together to load the cannon and aim down the throat of a miles long giant centipede? Or the Space Vatos level with the hoverbikes and mobile bases you use to kill a giant spider with the death star laser? Using your grappling hook to attach to an akrid's face and emptying your shotgun into it's eye?

Super Sentai Power Moves in multiplayer activated by coordinating emotes?!??!!

It was too pure for this world and Lost Planet 3 just wasn't the same

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 6, 2018

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
yeah I recently tried to get back in and got the poo poo kicked out of me, as much as I love the game I'm way out of the skill range now.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Its a terrible thing to know what the best game ever is but to have the world deaf and insensible to The Truth.

Still hoping for a TF3 with minimal EA interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Senethro posted:

Its a terrible thing to know what the best game ever is but to have the world deaf and insensible to The Truth.

Still hoping for a TF3 with minimal EA interference.

I sit with my controller, playing BLOPS 2+2, and weeping for what could have been.