Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

7-2 going in to the last two rounds. Live for top 8 if the breaker Gods favor me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Skyl3lazer posted:

7-2 going in to the last two rounds. Live for top 8 if the breaker Gods favor me.

I think that's wholly dependent on which rounds you got your losses in. The later, the better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's a pretty :thunk:-tastic Spirits list that went 5-1 in the latest MTGO Modern Challenge...

1 Birds of Paradise
1 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
4 Collected Company
1 Dismember
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
2 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Horizon Canopy
2 Island
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
1 Misty Rainforest
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Path to Exile
2 Plains
1 Razorverge Thicket
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 Seachrome Coast
3 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
1 Temple Garden
1 Windswept Heath
//sideboard
2 Auriok Champion
1 Cleansing Nova
2 Disdainful Stroke
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Gaddock Teeg
2 Knight of Autumn
1 Negate
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Tireless Tracker

Also a more bog-standard list at 4-2 with a singleton SoFaI, which I think we were arguing about a while back.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i'm the four mana sorcery-speed spell in the deck filled with flash fliers

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm definitely not convinced that Aether Vials are better than not whiffing on 75% of your Companies but I feel pretty strongly that Jace and Scavenging Ooze aren't the answer.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lost out on top 8 at a legacy 1k by placing 9th with everyone above me ID'ing :sigh:

Edit: infect is still a hell of a lot of fun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

I'm definitely not convinced that Aether Vials are better than not whiffing on 75% of your Companies but I feel pretty strongly that Jace and Scavenging Ooze aren't the answer.

I miss Rattlechains. My singleton copy won me a game against Jund last time by flashing it in for a LotV -2 to (I think) save a Drogskol lock

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

This is the list that won GP Atlanta

Creature (30)

4 Drogskol Captain
1 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
3 Reflector Mage
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom

Instant (6)

4 Collected Company
2 Path to Exile

Artifact (3)

3 Aether Vial

Land (21)

3 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath

60 Cards

Sideboard (15)

1 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dromoka's Command
2 Knight of Autumn
3 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Unified Will
1 Worship

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Hey Johnny how did you feel about this? Because I really want to try running a deck like this, mostly as an excuse to finally show my Moat the light of day. I feel like this deck's success is directly tied to whether RiP is main-deckable.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

*nods sagely*

This is what I ended up on:

4 Brainstorm
4 Ponder
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Force of Will
2 Spell Pierce
2 Counterspell
2 Supreme Verdict
2 Enlightened Tutor
3 Energy Field
3 Rest in Peace
2 Helm of Obedience
1 Humility
1 Detention Sphere
1 Blood Moon
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
1 Gideon of the Trials
4 Island
2 Plains
3 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Karakas
2 Arid Mesa
3 Scalding Tarn
4 Flooded Strand

//Sideboard
2 Pyroblast
2 Hydroblast
1 Flusterstorm
1 Wear//Tear
1 Seal of Cleansing
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Keranos, God of Storms
1 Vendilion Clique
1 Meekstone
1 Pithing Needle
1 Kozilek's Return

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

i'm the four mana sorcery-speed spell in the deck filled with flash fliers

Sometimes you get a turn 3 Jace after you Spell Queller turn 2 and that just does things

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sometimes you get a turn 3 Jace after you Spell Queller turn 2 and that just does things

In my experience what it does is next to nothing.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Hey Johnny how did you feel about this? Because I really want to try running a deck like this, mostly as an excuse to finally show my Moat the light of day. I feel like this deck's success is directly tied to whether RiP is main-deckable.

It's weak to Solidarity but the Rest in Peaces are surprisingly good against newer builds with Mission Briefing and AK, especially when you have one turn 2 in literally every single game.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
So, I've been testing a spicy version of 42 Land Seismic Swans pile with 2x Drake Haven and 6x cycling duals. The deck discarding to do pretty much everything anyway means that discards making drakes is fun as hell.

Since the deck needs ~ 39 lands to "Go Off" (4 to cast swans, 10 to deal 20 to the face, 24 to draw 48 of the 49 cards remaining in the deck on T4, 1 in case the last card is a land), discarding a couple early game to sneak an extra draw on T2 (when there's not much to do otherwise), I reckon I can discard up to four cycling lands (each draws one, so 70% chance of a land I don't need to draw while going off) without some other source of damage having hit my opponent (God bless T1+T2 "Fetch -> Untapped Shock" openings).

Questions:

I'm trying to decide if Swan Song is better than Spell Pierce in the side though. Since the Swan token is pretty much free for me to handle (block with Drake/Swan, or kill with Vortex/Seismic), it comes down to "hard counter vs. tax" and "hits planeswalkers and non-creature artifacts vs. not hitting those things". What do you guys think?

I did try testing with Blood Moons in the side, which is still an option I'm considering. T3 moon is a solid roadblock vs. many decks; and between 9 Islands, scrylands, cycling lands and Faithless Looting I have (approx) a 75% chance to have 3 "Mountains" and 2 Islands by T5. Though I'd probably do a 10/10 split of Mountain and Island if I was to go that route (to get my odds up to ~80%), I think. Dunno what I'd take out for 2 Moons, though.

Deck: 42 Land Swans

//Main
Creatures:
4 Swans of Bryn Argoll

Enchantments:
4 Seismic Assault
2 Molten Vortex
2 Drake Haven

Sorceries:
4 Treasure Hunt
1 Day's Undoing
1 Faithless Looting

Lands:
4 Canyon Slough
2 Fetid Pools
9 Island
11 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Steam Vents
4 Temple of Epiphany
4 Wandering Fumarole

//Sideboard
2 Abrade
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Echoing Truth
1 Glorious End
1 Laboratory Maniac
2 Lightning Bolt
1 Molten Vortex
2 Spell Pierce
1 Sphinx's Tutelage
2 Tormod's Crypt

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

This is the list that won GP Atlanta

Creature (30)

4 Drogskol Captain
1 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
3 Reflector Mage
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom

Instant (6)

4 Collected Company
2 Path to Exile

Artifact (3)

3 Aether Vial

Land (21)

3 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
2 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath

60 Cards

Sideboard (15)

1 Geist of Saint Traft
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Dromoka's Command
2 Knight of Autumn
3 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Unified Will
1 Worship

Reflector Mage seems nifty, I've been looking for a deck to run that in...

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

it's pretty medium. Much of my poor performance came from me not playing any magic since, uh, April, but the deck felt very bad against discard. I don't even thinking my black opponents had particularly nutty hands - a thoughtseize and a duress basically made it so I couldn't do anything fast enough to stop them from killing me. And you're mostly right - you need RP + Energy field specifically to be good. If your meta is mono Mox Diamond decks, this deck is great.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I placed 28th in legacy champs with no karakas lands and i think i was the highest placed lands player? idk but basically gently caress karakas.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BG turbo depths very rudely blew up my karakas with an Assassin's Trophy

that deck seems pretty real

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I placed 28th in legacy champs with no karakas lands and i think i was the highest placed lands player? idk but basically gently caress karakas.

Nice, congrats!

I really need to find a decklist for that Dan Miller esper miracles list; I've been playing online with strixes and lilianas, and I may just crib that list wholesale because it is fun and lit.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So having played a bunch more matches with new miracles it seems like it's lost all the inevitability it used to have. Gotta play way more aggressively. I think I also want to run a keranos because it fucks with so many of the things I have a hard time with now. I'm on the UWr version with only mentor/Jace maindeck and an entreat in the board.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

L0cke17 posted:

So having played a bunch more matches with new miracles it seems like it's lost all the inevitability it used to have. Gotta play way more aggressively. I think I also want to run a keranos because it fucks with so many of the things I have a hard time with now. I'm on the UWr version with only mentor/Jace maindeck and an entreat in the board.

The new miracles is so much air that it's unsurprising people keep trying to jam SFMs in to it.

e; I saw a sweet UW delver list that played SFM alongside daze/delver because it puts another card in your hand and brainstorms get better.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

The new miracles is so much air that it's unsurprising people keep trying to jam SFMs in to it.

e; I saw a sweet UW delver list that played SFM alongside daze/delver because it puts another card in your hand and brainstorms get better.

If I was gonna do SFMs I'd probably be playing maindeck cliques instead of mentor and probably the 4th snapcaster.

E: if there's ever a world for young peezy to coexist with SFM in a deck it's the miracles shell right now. That could be sweet, get slightly lower to the ground than mentor and take advantage of all the cantrips.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 5, 2018

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

please do not put daze and stoneforge mystic in the same deck

L0cke17 posted:

So having played a bunch more matches with new miracles it seems like it's lost all the inevitability it used to have.

this was my problem with helm (not that it "lost" inevitability). Unless the energy field really, REALLY ended the game, opponents could wriggle loose and I have like 2 ways to win the game

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

please do not put daze and stoneforge mystic in the same deck

Also do not put Delver of Secrets and Swords to Plowshares in the same deck.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
But definitely do put back to basics, terminus and Lily the last hope in the same deck because it's lit af

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I just remembered that Hallowed Moonlight is a card. Is it SB material worth considering in Modern? Stops Vial, Company, Through the Breach, Madcap Experiment, Dredge's creature suite, tokens, Chord, Eldritch Evolution etc. However, Stony Silence in most every white SB can stop Vial if need be, and then Grafdigger's Cage hits almost everything else on that list if you need the coverage.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I just remembered that Hallowed Moonlight is a card. Is it SB material worth considering in Modern? Stops Vial, Company, Through the Breach, Madcap Experiment, Dredge's creature suite, tokens, Chord, Eldritch Evolution etc. However, Stony Silence in most every white SB can stop Vial if need be, and then Grafdigger's Cage hits almost everything else on that list if you need the coverage.

I don't think so. Problem is, most opponents would just fail to find or not put something into play with those cards so at best you've gotten a slight tempo advantage for 2 mana. Seems real bad against vial. One of the main advantages of white in modern is the sideboard enchantment options, I'm not sure where you'd play moonlight in a situation where there are better options.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I don't think so. Problem is, most opponents would just fail to find or not put something into play with those cards so at best you've gotten a slight tempo advantage for 2 mana. Seems real bad against vial. One of the main advantages of white in modern is the sideboard enchantment options, I'm not sure where you'd play moonlight in a situation where there are better options.

Yeah, when you put it that way those types of effects seem much better to shut down using permanents rather than just a one-time shut-off. I was just thinking about it because I've been getting the urge to play a Through the Breach deck again, and that's one of the few cards I listed that's hosed by Moonlight but not something else that I listed.

Also how come Grafdigger's Cage doesn't see more SB play? Is it just too easy to destroy a 1-mana artifact in Modern?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Also how come Grafdigger's Cage doesn't see more SB play? Is it just too easy to destroy a 1-mana artifact in Modern?

It's too narrow for me but has it's uses.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, when you put it that way those types of effects seem much better to shut down using permanents rather than just a one-time shut-off. I was just thinking about it because I've been getting the urge to play a Through the Breach deck again, and that's one of the few cards I listed that's hosed by Moonlight but not something else that I listed.

You can play it in your mix of GY hate, but dredge usually plays several ancient grudge in their sideboard along with nature's claims so I think it's a bit more vulnerable to being taken care of than the enchantments are. Plus a deck like storm can just go off until they find their unsubstantiate and get rid of it, and there's still a bunch of cards in their graveyard to cast after that, as opposed to something like RiP/leyline/spellbomb. If chord/coco decks are more popular, than cage becomes a lot more playable in the mix instead.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

i tried it for a while and it is not a good card. it's not actually good against dredge or vials, because they just say "cool, i'll do it next turn instead". Against all those other cards, if they do anything except cast the spell you're expecting, you get severely punished for holding up two mana and not doing anything with it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Continuing the topic of borderline SB cards in Modern, any love for Ravenous Trap? Someone pointed out to me that casting Faithless Looting turns it on, as does your opponent Thought Scouring themselves. Feels like a decent alternative for non-black decks who are siding in Surgical against GY decks, though obviously it's a weaker choice against certain combo decks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Continuing the topic of borderline SB cards in Modern, any love for Ravenous Trap? Someone pointed out to me that casting Faithless Looting turns it on, as does your opponent Thought Scouring themselves. Feels like a decent alternative for non-black decks who are siding in Surgical against GY decks, though obviously it's a weaker choice against certain combo decks.

I think it's underplayed.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ShaneB posted:

I think it's underplayed.

Agreed, depending on what's popular. Pretty good alternative to surgical if you're on a budget, and if the meta becomes all dredge/phoenix decks then it's a perfectly reasonable hate option.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I keep coming back to it as my extra GY hate in Mill, since that deck wants its opponent to have a full graveyard in a lot of cases (and it's good insurance against decks running Emrakul). Agreed on it being a good SB option in areas with a lot of Dredge and Phoenix decks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of super niche sideboard cards I’m an admin on the bant spirits page on Facebook and someone recently posted “what if people start sideboarding raking canopy against us?”

gently caress it, give em the win. Especially if they have soul scar mage.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

Speaking of super niche sideboard cards I’m an admin on the bant spirits page on Facebook and someone recently posted “what if people start sideboarding raking canopy against us?”

gently caress it, give em the win. Especially if they have soul scar mage.

That's not even a guarantee or anything, you can still alpha-strike them just fine unless they're simultaneously removing your stuff.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uninverted posted:

That's not even a guarantee or anything, you can still alpha-strike them just fine unless they're simultaneously removing your stuff.

People post A LOT of dumb garbage on that Facebook group. I spent months telling people not to play bloodghast and strangleroot geist

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Deck: GWu Counters Company

//Main
3 Birds of Paradise
1 Breeding Pool
4 Chord of Calling
4 Collected Company
2 Courser of Kruphix
4 Devoted Druid
3 Duskwatch Recruiter
2 Eternal Witness
3 Flooded Strand
4 Forest
1 Gavony Township
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Horizon Canopy
4 Knight of the Reliquary
2 Misty Rainforest
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Plains
1 Scavenging Ooze
1 Shalai, Voice of Plenty
1 Temple Garden
2 Tireless Tracker
3 Vizier of Remedies
1 Walking Ballista
4 Windswept Heath

//Sideboard
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Knight of Autumn
3 Path to Exile
4 Spell Queller
2 Stony Silence
2 Unified Will

Display deck statistics

I top 32'd regionals with this deck. Some quick thoughts:

• Tons of lightning bolts in the room. In nine rounds, I played burn, skred, jund, and FOUR arclight phoenix decks (the other two were amulet titan and GB rock). x/4s did a lot of work and the few times I played a knight of the reliquary at less than 4/4 I immediately regretted it.
  • The land value engine (knight, tracker, courser) felt really good. I thought courser was pretty questionable when I first saw people running it in this deck but it was great against all the red decks I played against, and it pulled its weight in the fair matchups too. More than once I had a giant knight brick wall a flipped thing in the ice.
  • I think a second scavenging ooze in the main deck would be really good right now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

uninverted posted:

The land value engine (knight, tracker, courser) felt really good. I thought courser was pretty questionable when I first saw people running it in this deck but it was great against all the red decks I played against, and it pulled its weight in the fair matchups too. More than once I had a giant knight brick wall a flipped thing in the ice.

I've had the pieces for GW Counters Company for a while but I keep going back to regular GW value decks because 4 KotR/4 Courser/3 Tracker is a great value engine, especially since my meta skews aggro and midrange. At the same time I feel like having an unfair angle to your deck is a good place to be in Modern right now. Have you tried a more fair GW deck, and if so what put you onto the combo instead?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I've had the pieces for GW Counters Company for a while but I keep going back to regular GW value decks because 4 KotR/4 Courser/3 Tracker is a great value engine, especially since my meta skews aggro and midrange. At the same time I feel like having an unfair angle to your deck is a good place to be in Modern right now. Have you tried a more fair GW deck, and if so what put you onto the combo instead?

I came to it from the opposite direction. I've been playing combo company decks since the melira/anafenza days and just added the value stuff recently. I think the raw power of the combo version is so much higher that it's a mistake not to play it. A pretty decent grindy midrange deck that kills you if you tap out is a lot stronger than a great grindy midrange deck that doesn't. The turn three freebie wins are also not to be underestimated, I had a bunch of those today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Tournament report from bubbling out at a modern. Open today. 221 people, 8 rounds. Watch as I get paired up against tron four times!

F2F open R1
Vs Austin on green tron
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: we both mull to 6 I keep 2 lander with wanderer, selfless, supreme, captain. Opponent cantrips a lot but only ever draws towers. I eventually draw a third land and the lords get it.

G2: I have double wanderer and phantasmal image and draw a Captain first draw. Opponent hits T3 tron with no payoff spell. I draw and play a damping sphere (it’s just ok) opponent cantrips and finds a sanction of ugin. Then passes. I swing and pass. Opponent finds a forest and passes so i coco at end step he nature’s claims the sphere in response. I hit two lords off coco, then untap and play lord phantasmal and swing for way more than lethal.

R2 vs Chris on BANT SPIRITS *air horn*
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: opponent opens with shock wanderer, I open with fast land hierarch. So we both know what’s up. I end up baiting a queller so I can coco after and I get em. I win the lord race

G2: I keep a decent hand and draw a vial T1, then a second vial T2 but I never get over 3 mana and keep drawing cocos. Opponent draws many lords.

G3: I keep a T1 vial hand and my opponent plays all 3 vials. Opponent goes for a coco and I vial in a Captain in response for the captain lock and sac wanderer to counter. Opponent has vial on 2 and 3 and plays a worship with one card in hand. I move to combat (for lethal) opponent activates vial and puts in a spell queller and I activate vial before damage to return it to hand, gg.

R3 vs mono-blue tron
Lose the die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: I draw a Mix of land and spells and kill my opponent through an overloaded cyclonic rift

G2: mull to 5 (no lands in 7 or 6) opponent has natural tron into wurmcoil with chalice on one. I’m still at one land lmao

G3: my 7 has 3 sideboard cards and 1 land so I kill to 6. Has spells and creatures. Opponent has natural tron and walking ballista and I never see a fourth land while drawing 3 coco’s. RIP ME.

R4 vs G-Tron
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: I coco after my opponent lands an ugin and hit drogskol lock which is good. Then opponent plays ulamog followed by ulamog and double wurmcoil and I cannot race.

G2: I keep a creature filled hand and coco at end step into just a Geist (lmao) so I swing, opponent doesn’t have tron yet so I crack canopy at end step which drew stony silence, then untapped and drew damping sphere. Played both and opponent scooped.

G3 I had T1 hierarch into T2 damping sphere into triple end step coco’s. And that’s a lotta dimp.

R5 vs G-tron
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: I mill to 6 and my opponent mulls to 5. I represent a clock while my opponent spins the wheels and comes up short.

G2. I have a tough decision here. My opponent goes T1 tron land, map pass. I go T1 hierarch pass. Opponent plays a forest and passes. My decision is between playing T2 Geist or T2 stony silence. I opt for geist to rep the clock (as opponent can just crack map in response) this does leave a window where they can play and crack a second map (risky, but fine). Instead they play a sultan scrying and I play the stony next turn. Opponent gets tron online and plays a ballista for 3 and then a ballista for 5 (saccing sanctum of ugin to get an ulamog). while I chip in with a mausoleum wanderer and selfless spirit. I sac canopy and draw a path then untap upkeep draw a damping sphere which means no ulamog. I path and swing for lethal, opponent nature’s claims an egg to stay alive but has a blocker. I draw a phantasmal to pump wanderer for exactly lethal.

R6 vs BANT SPIRITS
Lose the die roll
DRRRAAAAWWWWW 1-1-1

G1: opponent has more lords which is a deciding factor.

G2: we both land worship but I vial in a phantasmal copying knight of autumn after no blocks are declared.

G3: opponent lands worship but I have an overwhelming board state of 9 lords. I don’t find a knight of autumn in time and that’s game. Into the draw bracket

R7 vs Will on THE ROCK (gb)
Win the die roll
Win 2-0

G1 I land a T2 Geist and swing in a couple times. Opponent uses discard to shred my hand and then represents a hissing quagmire. Eventually I have two cards in hand and my opponent goes for a liliana which I spell queller; then he goes to abrupt decay the queller, which I also spell quell.

G2: I eat back to back to back to back inquisitions but they can’t get my coco. Board is supreme phantom, wanderer, selfless spirit and I swing in then coco during combat hitting two lords, hit opponent for 14 putting them at 2. They draw and scoop it up.

R8 vs neon on amulet combo
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1 I go hierarch into kira into lord into coco lord lord while my opponent doesn’t see an amulet and thus dies

G2: I snap off T1 hierarch, then T2 spell queller a scrying, then play damping sphere. Opponent taps out for rec sage on my sphere and I play a second one followed by eidolon of rhetoric. Opponent only draws signet bounce lands that tap for a colorless.

Got 9th out of 221. Bubbles out of top 8 lmao owned

Decklist and sideboard:

Creature (30)
4 Drogskol Captain
1 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
3 Reflector Mage
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller