Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/Nacion_ESPN/status/1051942714554630144

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I hope that dude is getting some big workers comp.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I can't get much info on the African guy at all, including his height. He may be 5'7 though, which is no good against the 6'1, fast and athletic Andrade. The guy is undefeated and seems to have big power, so he may be a live dog, but he's fought nobody outside of Africa, taking the fight on very short notice, and is basically a total enigma. I don't like his chances unless he's some sort of Ricardo Mayorga dark-horse.

So the sketchy African website I read that said Kautondokwa was 5'7 was wrong, according to the weigh in today, the African is 6'2, maybe even 6'3 - he's taller than Andrade, who's usually the taller fighter if all of his fights. This combined with Kautondokwa's power makes this an intriguing fight to me now. Kautondokwa has a legit puncher's chance if he's anywhere close to a world class fighter (still remains to be seen).

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Andrade is exactly the type of guy who would basically beat himself against some completely unknown fighter, if you're the betting type, this could be a fun one to drop for 7/1 odds

Jump King fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 20, 2018

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Andrade is exactly the type of guy who would basically beat himself against some completely unknown fighter, if you're the betting type, this could be a fun one to drop for 7/1 odds

Andrade losing to a (more or less) random African fighter would be kinda depressing for me. He's been one of the top prospects all the way back since he was beating Danny Jacobs in the amateur and became a two time national Golden Gloves champion. Despite all of the political poo poo which he's self-inflicted or has happened to him if he can't get this strap when literally everything has gone his way before the fight would be a huge disappointment-to me, someone who really wants this sport to take off in America-to see perhaps the best of that generation of American amateurs of the last decade fail so spectacularly.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 20, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Conversely, imagine how great it would be to see some unknown Namibian guy who was probably fighting on hardwood for peanuts like 2 years ago get a fluke chance at a world level fight and then, despite coming in as a late replacement opponent, excel in his first chance at greatness. Seriously, Walter Kautondokwa said in an interview that he thinks god himself set this fight up so he could succeed. He thinks this chance is so good its divine will and it's a late notice fight on another guy's home turf that everybody thinks he'll lose. Kautondokwa can, more or less, secure himself a legacy with one punch here and if you don't think that'd be amazing I'm sure why you're into boxing.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
With this guy and Indongo I think there must be a Namibian Frank Warren out there that's tight with the WBO

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Did Katie Taylor not make the broadcast or did I miss it?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The face I made my MMM Whatchya Say questioned my boxing fandom

Can't question Tevin Farmer though. The time seems right for the Gervonta Davis fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

look, this sport is grounded in unknown guys coming from overseas and knocking out hometown favourites, okay

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I would have also been fine with him winning by DQ when Andrade late hit him

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This fight is loving bad

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

This fight is loving bad

The Murata fight, by contrast, was very good.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Andrede looks like rear end. Dominate 4? rounds, lazily cruise control the rest cool good look

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I'm only watching in the hopes andrede gets ko'd but I guess that's probably true of everyone watching

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
So Kautondokwa is obviously not world class, but Andrade was boring as hell in their fight, which isn't going to help him any. At least he has the WBO strap now, but he's basically cemented himself now as an Erislandy Lara-style high risk/little reward type of fight for anyone. Don't see him getting a fight with either Canelo or GGG anytime soon.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

He’s with DAZN and has the only middleweight belt Canelo doesn’t have, I think there’s a good chance he gets Canelo eventually, provides he holds onto the belt.

In the mean time I imagine Saunders is going to try challenging him.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

He’s with DAZN and has the only middleweight belt Canelo doesn’t have, I think there’s a good chance he gets Canelo eventually, provides he holds onto the belt.

In the mean time I imagine Saunders is going to try challenging him.

Maybe at some point, but I envision Canelo’s 2019 involving fights with David Lemieux and then a third GGG fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If Andrade fights Saunders and the winner of Jacobs-Derevyanchenko in the mean time that would sufficiently build the fight between Canelo and whoever ends up with the belt at the end of all that

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Bob Arum has taken to giving Al Haymon the nickname "Mr. Cancer" so get ready for another round of lawsuits followed by no crossover fights happening ever again

https://youtu.be/X_fl4mgTHFA

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

its ok, bob arum will die soon

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There's just not enough money in them working together. They have competing talent and deals with competing networks. There's not an easy way for them to do "neutral" events, ESPN and CBS aren't going to split viewership. Even if they did, someone still picks the venue, the judges, and the referees. We like to think boxing can be unbiased but the reality is the promoter of a fight has huge influence over how it unfolds and that's before any blatant corruption or intentional fight fixing. Guys like Crawford and Spence are business assets worth millions of dollars, their promotional companies aren't going to put their futures in the hands of a competitor.

Crawford gets $3 million fighting whoever he wants on ESPN. Spence isn't getting him a $50 million dollar purse, at least not if they held the fight tomorrow. Is $10 million worth Crawford and Top Rank risking his future earning potential in the hopes that Mr. Haymon and Showtime give him a fair shake in their promoted event? Probably not, when he can just stay the course and get better offers down the road.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

There's just not enough money in them working together. They have competing talent and deals with competing networks. There's not an easy way for them to do "neutral" events, ESPN and CBS aren't going to split viewership. Even if they did, someone still picks the venue, the judges, and the referees. We like to think boxing can be unbiased but the reality is the promoter of a fight has huge influence over how it unfolds and that's before any blatant corruption or intentional fight fixing. Guys like Crawford and Spence are business assets worth millions of dollars, their promotional companies aren't going to put their futures in the hands of a competitor.

Crawford gets $3 million fighting whoever he wants on ESPN. Spence isn't getting him a $50 million dollar purse, at least not if they held the fight tomorrow. Is $10 million worth Crawford and Top Rank risking his future earning potential in the hopes that Mr. Haymon and Showtime give him a fair shake in their promoted event? Probably not, when he can just stay the course and get better offers down the road.

But apparently there is enough money to finally make Spence - Garcia

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1055537006367756290

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The SituAsian posted:

But apparently there is enough money to finally make Spence - Garcia

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1055537006367756290

err won't garcia be giving up a bit of size?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I I hate this fight

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I I hate this fight

Total waste of time for Spence, could easily damage Garcia’s future career, and robs us of a top 5 fight in boxing in Lomachenko/Garcia, maybe forever. Bad stuff all around.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Spence has 3.5 inches of height and 4 inches of reach over Garcia. I know Mikey has wanted a big fight for a while, but this is a little too big. What's the game plan for winning? He's not knocking Spence out and he'll need to be twice as quick to win the fight at range.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Spence has 3.5 inches of height and 4 inches of reach over Garcia. I know Mikey has wanted a big fight for a while, but this is a little too big. What's the game plan for winning? He's not knocking Spence out and he'll need to be twice as quick to win the fight at range.

Maybe he's not planning to win so much as he's just wanting to pay homage to his brother when the fight is essentially a shot for shot replay of Chico Corrales - Robert Garcia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QypyB5A0zmU

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 28, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jacobs derevanchenko is turning out great so far

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Both of them are super good, and 300 rds of sparring makes for a weird as gently caress dynamic

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
There were a lot of moments where their familiarity led to a lot of feinting but when they started trading it was real good and tense. Jacobs with an 8-4 win seems about right but Sergiy is no joke either.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhQu_gGXrOg

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
*Pause*

https://twitter.com/boxingscene/status/1057436272266891264?s=19

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well Burnett-Donaire was a pretty good fight but then Burnett suffered a back injury while throwing a punch and had to retire at the end of the 4th round. Goddamn shame.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Josh Taylor - Regis Prograis is the best potential fight in boxing that nobody will know about

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Monday Bandele posted:

Josh Taylor - Regis Prograis is the best potential fight in boxing that nobody will know about

I probably still favor Regis-for no other reason than I've seen more of him-but Taylor has really impressed me as well. It's probably a 50-50 fight and-all else equal-if they meet I would very slightly favor whoever is hosting the fight

Speaking of fights that's flown under the radar ya'll should check out Miguel Berchelt-Mickey Roman on ESPN+ (or however you can) if you want to see a great stereotypical Mexican war.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Where do you guys get your daily boxing coverage? How about more in depth analysis?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Dejan Bimble posted:

Where do you guys get your daily boxing coverage? How about more in depth analysis?

These days I get the majority of stuff through Twitter. Dan Rafael of ESPN and Mike Coppinger of The Ring are probably the most active reporters while Michael Benson is a UK based reporter who seems to have the beat pretty covered. Boxingscene.com is the biggest aggreagator of news but the site is mess imo so just checking their twitter is the way to go. While the best daily site is Bad Left Hook.

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn
https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger
https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn
https://twitter.com/boxingscene

R/boxing is actually a pretty strong source of actual conversation and more in-depth analysis since it's really heavily moderated.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Reddit's /r/boxing is indeed a very active community; good for day-to-day boxing updates and discussion, posts on upcoming and recent fights, and discussing historical or mythical fights and fighters.

Bad Left Hook is the best boxing blog that I've come across for editorials, recaps, and analysis. They also do a podcast that's decent.

Fightnews, Boxing Scene and Fight Hype are probably the best straight boxing news sites. Fight Hype has a lot of exclusive video interviews with fighters. Fightnews has the rankings of all 4 major sanctioning bodies, as well as the boxing schedule for the year.

Chris Mannix has probably the best boxing podcast (it's a low bar), but he very recently left Yahoo for Sports Illustrated, so it's unclear when he will be able to resume podcasting. If he does resume it's worth listening to. He gets good guests, including top promoters and fighters.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

floyd's fighting a 125lb kickboxer in japan on new year's eve for some reason