Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ward: I wonder if A Farewell To Arms was on Imp's reading list. Like usual, though, I genuinely have trouble parsing what the hell that scene looks like and what's going on; they mention Imp several times before/after the recording, but nobody thinks to mention that she's missing an arm then. I wonder if March's minion didn't armjack her for some nefarious, never-to-be-revealed purpose, and swapped it with someone else's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

sunken fleet posted:

Void Domain - It's a lot like Harry Potter, except instead of being a gormless capital "H" hero who gets by with the power of love and friendship Eva is instead a vicious girl with a penchant for brutal blood magic and deals with demons. It has an edge over a lot of other web fiction in that it is already complete! No waiting for updates here. The whole thing comes in at a hair over a million words. (The author has moved onto another project Vacant Throne that I know nothing about but if you like one you might like the other.) The "hidden world of magic" that exists in setting requires a bit of suspension of disbelief but if you can get past that it's all pretty well set up, the author clearly put a lot of thought into how the magic in his setting "works" and came up with some creative stuff. Plus who doesn't like reading about evil magicians, demons, and our marginally less evil protagonist all battling each other to the death?

I started reading this but then a few chapters in I got distracted by the author's new ongoing story, Vacant Throne, which I'm enjoying much more. Not that anything was wrong with Void Domain but I'm very partial towards portal fantasy/isekai especially when there's some element of uplift (which I'm actually not entirely certain is actually going to happen in this story, but I appreciate it when protagonists question things that other stories take for granted, like everyone speaking English).

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Omi no Kami posted:

Ward: I wonder if A Farewell To Arms was on Imp's reading list. Like usual, though, I genuinely have trouble parsing what the hell that scene looks like and what's going on; they mention Imp several times before/after the recording, but nobody thinks to mention that she's missing an arm then. I wonder if March's minion didn't armjack her for some nefarious, never-to-be-revealed purpose, and swapped it with someone else's?

Ward: My reading of that was that, IIRC, the limb thief can track limbs that are traded out. Perhaps they have swapped out one of Imp's arms so that they can track their group's movements?

I'm very much over March if she disarmed Aisha permanently.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Illuen posted:

Ward: My reading of that was that, IIRC, the limb thief can track limbs that are traded out. Perhaps they have swapped out one of Imp's arms so that they can track their group's movements?

I'm very much over March if she disarmed Aisha permanently.

Yeah, I've never been 100% clear on how swapping parts works or what it confers, but that makes more sense than "They needed memory erasing powers and Aisha wasn't playing ball," which was the only other thing I could think of.

March is one of those characters whose depiction feels quite dissonant to me- every time she's on-screen she acts like a violent jerkass, but the way she casually, somewhat-amiably socialized with Parian during the fallen thingie, as well as the way the Undersiders just kinda shrug and go "Oh not, not that rascally fellow again" feel at odds with that depiction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SITB posted:

I don't think that Black is going to survive this book. Even if what you predict will come true, I heavily doubt that Black is going to outlive Malicia by more than a chapter or two.

Though I don't think that Black is going to kill Malicia because of her deal with the Hidden Horror, Black has always been goal oriented and his whole 'thing' was how he could discard everything to achieve his goal (As opposed to Malicia, who recently had the opportunity to consolidate her control of Praes and yet is willing to risk it all to save Black).

Basically, Black is literally the worst and doesn't deserve the love of his friends and his surrogate daughter.

Regarding Black, I would completely agree prior to the events of the "Akua's Folly" incident. It seemed to be implied that something about Black's perspective changed after that and Catherine's reaction to it (IIRC someone commented on him seeming more engaged/"alive" than he had in ages), and there hasn't really been a chance to get a deeper look into his perspective now.

As a comment on something from a while back, I liked how Grey Pilgrim was able to defeat Black due to Black's experience being heavily limited to almost solely dealing with Callowan heroes; it just makes perfect sense that someone whose constantly fought the same sort of enemy would end up with blind spots about the way other enemies and narratives behave.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is there a one size fits all solution to getting notifications whenever a web serial updates; I would really like a solution that at minimum works for Wordpress/Fictionpress/Royal Road. I know they have RSS or email updates, but it would be nice if I could just have a unified channel for receiving notifications. As far as I can find, though, if I want anything like that I'd have to write one myself and scrape the contents off Fictionpress pages.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
What's wrong with RSS in particular?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nothing, but Fictionpress doesn't have it as far as I can see. I was hoping for something like Sonarr where someone's already done the legwork of making a single app compatible with multiple sites (except instead of loading torrents it just sends me links).

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Argue posted:

Is there a one size fits all solution to getting notifications whenever a web serial updates; I would really like a solution that at minimum works for Wordpress/Fictionpress/Royal Road. I know they have RSS or email updates, but it would be nice if I could just have a unified channel for receiving notifications. As far as I can find, though, if I want anything like that I'd have to write one myself and scrape the contents off Fictionpress pages.

I use Newsify on iPhone. It works for 90% of the serials I’m currently reading.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Argue posted:

Nothing, but Fictionpress doesn't have it as far as I can see. I was hoping for something like Sonarr where someone's already done the legwork of making a single app compatible with multiple sites (except instead of loading torrents it just sends me links).
Annoyingly it looks like they used to
https://blog.fictionpress.com/2012/07/09/710-update/
https://blog.fictionpress.com/2013/11/05/atomrss-feeds/

The only thing I was able to dig up was one for the author page, which is useless
https://www.fictionpress.com/atom/u/804592/

But yeah, "modern" sites are moving away from RSS, presumably because they want lockin/account signups or whatever?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 4, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, I've never been 100% clear on how swapping parts works or what it confers, but that makes more sense than "They needed memory erasing powers and Aisha wasn't playing ball," which was the only other thing I could think of.

March is one of those characters whose depiction feels quite dissonant to me- every time she's on-screen she acts like a violent jerkass, but the way she casually, somewhat-amiably socialized with Parian during the fallen thingie, as well as the way the Undersiders just kinda shrug and go "Oh not, not that rascally fellow again" feel at odds with that depiction.

My read was that the arm doesn’t share her unnoticeability power, which means if she tries to sneak up on you you’ll still be able to see a disembodied arm, which may in turn break the entire effect. Could be wrong, though!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's a comicrocket rss for mother of learning that I seem to remember works ok.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

There's a comicrocket rss for mother of learning that I seem to remember works ok.

Oh phew, thanks, I really only needed that. And it conveniently also has one for Harry Potter and the Natural 20, so I'm all good. Now I just have to wait for an update to see if I get alerted fast enough.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Hierophant telling a capital G-od (not even a choir) to shut up, and then Warlock kicking it in the mouth certainly is something. Full on divine intervention certainly is messy. There's definitely a power up in the works for witnessing that

lurksion fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 5, 2018

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

lurksion posted:

Annoyingly it looks like they used to
https://blog.fictionpress.com/2012/07/09/710-update/
https://blog.fictionpress.com/2013/11/05/atomrss-feeds/

The only thing I was able to dig up was one for the author page, which is useless
https://www.fictionpress.com/atom/u/804592/

But yeah, "modern" sites are moving away from RSS, presumably because they want lockin/account signups or whatever?

Fictionpress has the worst rss feeds I've ever seen and are a special level of broken; the feed generator was clearly written by someone who doesn't understand xml or rss, doesn't use rss themselves, and doesn't even test their own code. They're only available for authors, not stories, and instead of publishing new items ("story A chapter X") they republish the old items with new dates. So most rss software will see "story A chapter 1" with a new date, not consider it a new entry, and not show you the new chapter. I wrote my own rss aggregator and they're the only feeds I had to implement special handling for.

I can count on one hand the number of sites I want to keep up on that don't offer feeds. But the death of google reader really did irreparable harm and slowed down/killed interesting new tech, like pub/sub.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

lurksion posted:

Hierophant telling a capital G-od (not even a choir) to shut up, and then Warlock kicking it in the mouth certainly is something. Full on divine intervention certainly is messy. There's definitely a power up in the works for witnessing that

That was a loving incredible chapter.

With how often the Choirs seem to interfere with mortal business, it's been a damned shame watching under do seemingly nothing.

that they chose to intervene now, in the manner that they did is just :discourse:

I am in love with this chapter. I really am.

and the final line.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patron: That was a pretty satisfying chapter after the Raskghar attack seemingly coming out of left field. I enjoyed Pisces remarking on the nature of Goblin society, also him delving into the first steps of becoming a [Biomage], lol.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The most interesting thing to come from the recent PracGuide chapter is that it seems like Tikoloshe may have actually loved Masego? Though I guess it's possible that he was just fulfilling Wekesa's desire for his husband to also love their son. At the very least he obviously loved Wekesa. It seems like Hierophant was surprisingly actually a bit too cynical towards his parents.

I also think there's a pretty good chance Tikoloshe and Warlock were correct to be concerned about the information Masego picked up from the Dead King's reflection being some kind of trap. While I get Masego's perspective, I found myself kinda siding with their reasoning.

edit: Another consequence of this is that Alaya is kinda hosed. Warlock was an important asset to her, and Black is also captured. I think she only really has Assassin left (and what the gently caress is his deal? he's one of the weirder and less understood Named).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 7, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I wonder if (PracGuide)Scribe will go work for Malicia if Black bites it. I guess it probably depends on the circumstances around that death because there will inevitably be some sort of rescue attempt from the both of them and maybe Catherine as well.

And yea, losing Warlock is a huge loss for the Empire. Semi-related: did the story ever clarify what happened to the Witch? Unless I missed something, she and Warlock had their duel and it was left unresolved, and then all of a sudden Masego was getting recalled across the continent with no explanation of how that fight planned out. Please correct me if I missed where it says that Warlock won.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Another thing is I dont think anybody told Masaego about the two dads theory that the info the dead king put out was a trap

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Silynt posted:

Semi-related: did the story ever clarify what happened to the Witch? Unless I missed something, she and Warlock had their duel and it was left unresolved, and then all of a sudden Masego was getting recalled across the continent with no explanation of how that fight planned out. Please correct me if I missed where it says that Warlock won.

When he started to lose, Warlock took his ball and went home nuked the battleground and fled in the confusion. Less a win and more a draw.

Ytlaya posted:

I also think there's a pretty good chance Tikoloshe and Warlock were correct to be concerned about the information Masego picked up from the Dead King's reflection being some kind of trap. While I get Masego's perspective, I found myself kinda siding with their reasoning.

Eh. Why would the Dead King be pretending to think about some booby-trapped fake ritual at the moment of his apotheosis?

Loshe's whole theory on the Book of Darkness seems to boil down to "after great trauma, some guy I knew acted different."

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

New PracGuide: My insane, demon-summoning, possibly-undead, piece of haberdashery waifu is still the best.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
As the foremost lakeomancer of my generation, I agree.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

new Worth the Candles are up

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cryophage posted:

Eh. Why would the Dead King be pretending to think about some booby-trapped fake ritual at the moment of his apotheosis?

Loshe's whole theory on the Book of Darkness seems to boil down to "after great trauma, some guy I knew acted different."

Their point - that seems to make sense to me - is that someone like the Dead King wouldn't have lasted so long without contingencies in place, since he would have inevitably been killed by some hero and would want to inhabit the body of a powerful mage. Tikoloshe himself says that it isn't a guaranteed thing, but it's a very big risk and the fact that the full contents of the Book couldn't be acquired kinda contributes to the idea that it's a "lure" to make powerful mages seek the Dead King out.

All this being said, I agree that it would at least make sense for them to speak with Masego about it. But both Tikoloshe and Wekesa are smart guys, and they wouldn't think the idea had some merit if it didn't.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Lone Goat posted:

new Worth the Candles are up
Eh? Where? I don't see anything on archiveofourown.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!

Cicero posted:

Eh? Where? I don't see anything on archiveofourown.

Seriously, I was refreshing the page repeatedly for a moment there, but see nothing

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
If someone had done that to me with mother of learning I’d be so sad. I’m psyched about the next chapter. It’s going to be amazing.

Hopefully Zorian waking up early has a few advantages! Guessing Silverlake will glass his home within minutes of waking up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Affi posted:

If someone had done that to me with mother of learning I’d be so sad. I’m psyched about the next chapter. It’s going to be amazing.

Hopefully Zorian waking up early has a few advantages! Guessing Silverlake will glass his home within minutes of waking up.
Silverlake doesn't seem like the type to do head-to-head fights if she can avoid it. Even without his items and poo poo Zorian is a highly skilled mage, especially at mind magic, so I doubt she'd take the risk of confronting him right after waking up. She's more of a schemer.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Prac guide. Dread Emperor Irritant is absolutely the best. That brazen motherfucker! Beyond being an oddly successful Dread Emperor, he's also a capable shoemaker!
Also, more Akua is always a treat.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 7, 2018

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kellanved posted:

Prac guide. Dread Emperor Irritant is absolutely the best. That brazen motherfucker! Beyond being an oddly successful Dread Emperor, he's also a capable shoemaker!
Also, more Akua is always a treat.

no hero would ever kill a shoemaker

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

SerSpook posted:

no hero would ever kill a shoemaker

He’s lucky he never ran into the Saint of Swords. What’s one shoemaker more or less in the grand scheme of things, more or less?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Uldor posted:

Seriously, I was refreshing the page repeatedly for a moment there, but see nothing

Oh oops maybe I missed a previous update? 128 is the newest one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I really liked about the recent PracGuide chapter with Warlock is that Warlock also points out the very clear illogical aspect of Amadeus's whole philosophy/worldview. Namely that "good always wins and evil always loses" isn't really true in any meaningful sense. Any time a villain stays active/dominant for decades, that's effectively a "win"; calling it a loss when they're defeated (which is basically inevitably simply by virtue of villains being immortal) isn't really any different from calling it a loss for Good when the Dread Empire inevitably starts winning again (or Evil otherwise makes a resurgence). Like Warlock said, Black has basically put himself in a situation where he's the "winner" dominating a bunch of weak-ish heroes (well, compared with the people like Pilgrim or Saint of Swords, anyways).

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Cicero posted:

Silverlake doesn't seem like the type to do head-to-head fights if she can avoid it. Even without his items and poo poo Zorian is a highly skilled mage, especially at mind magic, so I doubt she'd take the risk of confronting him right after waking up. She's more of a schemer.

I think that the author will write it like that but if I'm being honest I'm pretty sure that Silverlake would wipe the floor with Zorian if she attacked him immediately after exiting the time loop(assuming she doesn't sleep in way later than he does). They went head to head once already and Zorian didn't really "win" that time, it was more of a draw - and that was after he spent god knows how much time and resources making magical contingency items to deal with her. I don't believe that an ancient witch like Silverlake doesn't have some sort of magical tactical nuke lying around in her super secret dimensional space that would give her a considerable edge over some equipped-like-a-total-novice mage. If nothing else it would probably be fairly trivial for her to take his family hostage.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sunken fleet posted:

I think that the author will write it like that but if I'm being honest I'm pretty sure that Silverlake would wipe the floor with Zorian if she attacked him immediately after exiting the time loop(assuming she doesn't sleep in way later than he does). They went head to head once already and Zorian didn't really "win" that time, it was more of a draw - and that was after he spent god knows how much time and resources making magical contingency items to deal with her. I don't believe that an ancient witch like Silverlake doesn't have some sort of magical tactical nuke lying around in her super secret dimensional space that would give her a considerable edge over some equipped-like-a-total-novice mage. If nothing else it would probably be fairly trivial for her to take his family hostage.

Yeah, Zorian without Zach's help and time to prepare his golems isn't particularly exceptional in combat if someone else knows about his mind abilities and uses Mind Blank in advance. I mean, he's good, but like "skilled regular battle mage" good.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, Zorian without Zach's help and time to prepare his golems isn't particularly exceptional in combat if someone else knows about his mind abilities and uses Mind Blank in advance. I mean, he's good, but like "skilled regular battle mage" good.

Although his versatility is pretty great- a lot of battle mages are very specialized by design, whereas Z&Z are probably some of the only mages in the world who can continuously change tactics for hours without running out of new spells that they've polished to peak efficiency.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Wouldn't this depend on where the Primordial dumps Silverlake? She may very well have to fight herself first, no? It also depends on if she even knows where Zorian lives. The Primordial could tell her but I don't think he'd think of that tbh.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012
Mother of Learning: The thing about Silverlake is that she is scared of death. That was why she signed on the Primordial offer and it is speculated that is why she didn't use simulacrums.

She isn't going to jump Zorian and Zach unless she is confident of her skills to kill them because she is too wary of dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

I gave void domain a try, but after finishing book one I don't think it's for me... could someone spoil me about what the deal was with arachne's obsession with/attachment to Eva? That's the one outstanding thingie I'm somewhat curious about.

She just really likes Eva.