Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
someone once pointed out that Brown Eyed Girl is clearly about anal sex:

quote:

Hey, where did we go
Days when the rains came ?
Down in the hollow
Playing a new game

and id say that pretty well spoiled the song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Ok I like that song a lot more now

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't mean in regards to spoilers specifically but rather what do you look for in music if you judge it primarily - or even solely - on the craft involved in creating it?

Are the prog rock people innately better than, say, Sam Cooke or Pete Seeger just because they are more proficient technical musicians?

Prog rock people can play very fast and in uncommon time signatures but that doesn't make them better musicians than Sam Cooke or Pete Seeger.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
When you talk about music you get into neuroscience and the way different brains react to music is both fascinating and strange. Give me a child under three with sensory issues and I can literally rewire their brains with sounds and lights without anyone on earth knowing exactly why it works.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cebrail posted:

Prog rock people can play very fast and in uncommon time signatures but that doesn't make them better musicians than Sam Cooke or Pete Seeger.

Exactly, and that's why I'm curious: what exactly is "the craft" being analysed in the context of music? With literature, it's largely down to the prose style, isn't it?

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

learnincurve posted:

When you talk about music you get into neuroscience and the way different brains react to music is both fascinating and strange. Give me a child under three with sensory issues and I can literally rewire their brains with sounds and lights without anyone on earth knowing exactly why it works.

It's something music does that people increasingly want from literature. This ability to simply experience it, rather than to engage with it. It's the "relatibility" of characters, the ease of the prose, the empathetic response people get from plot going according to their predictions and desires. It's not featuring "problematic" situations. It's substituting the characters' morals for the author's. It's total shite.

I get the feeling that people increasingly want to be passive when it comes to books. Editors and agents saying, "I want to wow'ed!" Bollocks. The book can only do so much if you're willing to do nothing. Engagement seems lower and lower, with people wanting stories that reveal. At least an old man yelling at clouds is an active participant in something.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it might be particularly bad now but it's not new, aristotle was making GBS threads on the desire for spectacle in the 4th century BC

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

it might be particularly bad now but it's not new, aristotle was making GBS threads on the desire for spectacle in the 4th century BC

I am that active aul lad yelling at faraway clouds.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think what you are talking about is that your average joe does not don’t want to be seen as someone who likes low-brow literature, so it’s the whole literary fiction genre that’s increasingly been made dumber instead, and becoming more like formulaic mass produced romance novels.
They are safe, predictable, follow a few set patterns, and the actual character descriptions are so vague you can very easily imagine it’s you with Fabio the stable boy/sparkly vampire. My dad had a good point when he said that my grandma likes audiobook versions of books about nurses because she can tune out and tune back in again without losing anything because the plot is basically interchangeable - I bet you could do exactly the same with any recent book involving the disappearance of a girl.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sorry, I was unclear. I didn't mean in regards to spoilers specifically but rather what do you look for in music if you judge it primarily - or even solely - on the craft involved in creating it?

Are the prog rock people innately better than, say, Sam Cooke or Pete Seeger just because they are more proficient technical musicians?

craft and technical proficiency aren't the same, and overly technical music usually sucks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Craft is not a question of complexity but of understanding of mechanics

Townes Van Zandt is the greatest goddamn songwriter of all time and his music is as far from prog rock as possible

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
How did the Real Literature thread get locked? Makes no sense at all.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
what did you do, hieronymous

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

what did you do, hieronymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Simon & Garfunkel's Cecilia is about a guy threatened by his gf using a dildo, cmv

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
gently caress

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Wont be fooled again by the who is actually about an aggressively gullible person who keeps believing songs are secretly about dirty things despite that obviously not being the case

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Closer by nine inch nails is actually about zookeeping.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

who gives a poo poo what all those lameass grandpa rock songs are about

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My noise tape of beeps, boops and sighs is about the self service checkout in the supermarket.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
do you guys listen to music while reading? i do, but only classical or stuff that could charitably described as "minimalist" or "ambient" but more accurately described as "just a bunch of weird noises", like a car door slamming repeatedly overlaid with static or someone yelling in a cistern

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
"gently caress the cistern!" a cry often heard by numb legged readers.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
im not kidding about the cistern thing, New Sounds did a whole show about it

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm totally kidding about a noise tape featuring a self service supermarket checkout. haha ha

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

do you guys listen to music while reading? i do, but only classical or stuff that could charitably described as "minimalist" or "ambient" but more accurately described as "just a bunch of weird noises", like a car door slamming repeatedly overlaid with static or someone yelling in a cistern

Yeah, sometimes. If I can find something minimal enough that that fits the mood. I found a Spotify playlist called Organic Experimental, and it's really good to read to. I listened to Ennio Morricone compositions when reading westerns. It really just depends.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I have tinnitus so it's either music or the long droning ringing that haunts my existence.

I like listening to soundtracks since they're designed to make you focus on what is happening.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Tim Hecker?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I have a lot of Spotify playlists that are like movie and video game soundtracks with themes based on what I’m reading—medieval-style music for medieval history books, stuff like that. Regular music distracts me from what I’m reading, but since soundtracks are supposed to set a mood while fading into the background anyway they help me focus.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i'm freaking amped to read a thick novel while listening to my favorite film and videogame soundtracks + tim hecker babies first ambient. are you clowns for real?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

A human heart posted:

i'm freaking amped to read a thick novel while listening to my favorite film and videogame soundtracks + tim hecker babies first ambient. are you clowns for real?

gently caress yeah dude nothing gets me harder than experimental drone music while reading Borges

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I listen to true crime podcasts while reading techno thrillers

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

A human heart posted:

Tim hecker is good a human heart

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Ambient music sucks major rear end

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Tim hecker is good a human heart

i listened to his first album and it was ok but then there's like 10 of the drat things and he's supposed to be some kind of avant garde magical man now, i'm not falling for that

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Cant stand yhese avant garde magical men why camt they all be down to earth like david tibet

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
The right soundtrack for any book are the public transport noises from the country of thr author

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Marin Karin posted:

I have tinnitus so it's either music or the long droning ringing that haunts my existence.

I like listening to soundtracks since they're designed to make you focus on what is happening.

I've been listening to a lot of jazz ever since a few years ago when I read that book with the jazz vampires

here's some good jazz (skip to the 47:45 mark approx): https://us.ivoox.com/en/episode-358...0aPG7on5QJfU-Yw

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

A human heart posted:

i listened to his first album and it was ok but then there's like 10 of the drat things and he's supposed to be some kind of avant garde magical man now, i'm not falling for that

hmm saving for scoff thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I always listen to soft jazz covers of video game music when I read