Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Gonna prolly gonna dive in anyways but it’s pretty nutso that the case and pencil add up to 230 dollars before tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Isn't the new case around 200 alone, which is insane. I was happy with the 20 dollar case I had for my Gen 1 Pro, even if it did add a bit of bulk to it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Gonna prolly gonna dive in anyways but it’s pretty nutso that the case and pencil add up to 230 dollars before tax.

Try it with the keyboard lol.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MarcusSA posted:

Try it with the keyboard lol.

330 bucks for the keyboard case and pencil.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Every time I’ve tried that keyboard I’ve loathed it, tbh. It felt impossible to type very much on. So squishy.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Yeast posted:

Wired: The entry level iPad Pro 11" has an 8 core processor

Tired: Only the 1Tb storage option model gets 6Gb of RAM
What the gently caress? That is bullshit. What possible reason could they have to make system memory dependent on storage?

I mean, I know why they did it, but that's pretty brazen, even for Apple :mad:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Are there actual, decent usb-c headphone adapters? I have air pods, but for plane travel I have custom iems and watching movies on an iPad with them is what I do on flights. When I want to get fancy I have a lightning line out adapter and an external amp, but even the iPad Pro headphone jack sounded fine. I can’t imagine it’s Bluetooth or nothing, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Are there actual, decent usb-c headphone adapters? I have air pods, but for plane travel I have custom iems and watching movies on an iPad with them is what I do on flights. When I want to get fancy I have a lightning line out adapter and an external amp, but even the iPad Pro headphone jack sounded fine. I can’t imagine it’s Bluetooth or nothing, right?

Yeah, they’ve been out for a few years because Of Motorola and as of last year google pixel. I would imagine it’s similar sound quality and function to the Apple lightning to headphone adapter.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

The old pencils are lightning to charge and the new pros have no such ports. Granted, they could have made it work via dongle.

The old pencils come with a female to female lightning adapter which is how I charge my pencil currently, independent of the iPad.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just buy the apple one, it's probably fine
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ultimate Mango posted:

No, the whole "Sound over USB-C" is a big huge mess of dongles that work only with a specific device or maker, lovely sound or analog routing that's not really according to a standard. Either use bluetooth or the Apple dongle. Third-party is a messy minefield. That's why a lot of people are quite pissed about Android phone makers abandoning the headphone jack just to ape Apple without having a universal solution like Apple. Once Apple moves the iPhones over to USB-C it will hopefully get better, also once Qualcomm makes their new Bluetooth standard, that should finally make sound, pairing etc. less of a shitshow.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Where's the goon favorite place to sell used iPads these days? Is ebay ok or kind of a poo poo show?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Swappa is generally easiest, and you can usually get a fair price. If you're upgrading to another iPad, it's worth seeing what Apple will give you for a trade, since they're occasionally competitive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Swappa is generally easiest, and you can usually get a fair price. If you're upgrading to another iPad, it's worth seeing what Apple will give you for a trade, since they're occasionally competitive.

I just checked my first gen 12.9 128GB cell and apple would only give me $250 for it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I was going to do the $125 for my 64gb cellular mini but now I'm having second thoughts.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah they’re offering 325 for my 10.5 64gb wifi and nothing for the smart cover or pencil.

I feel like I could get 550 somewhere else for all of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eh, I'm just giving my old poo poo to my dad.

I'd rather he get use out of a not really out of date device than Apple pay me some token trade-in value and turn around and make even more profit off of me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

I was going to do the $125 for my 64gb cellular mini but now I'm having second thoughts.

Mini 2 or 4? The Mini 2 is selling for $100 on swaps alone.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Why am I looking to trade in my 10.5? I use it to watch videos and browse the forums. :psyduck:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Why am I looking to trade in my 10.5? I use it to watch videos and browse the forums. :psyduck:

The spirit of Stebe compels you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duckman2008 posted:

Mini 2 or 4? The Mini 2 is selling for $100 on swaps alone.

Mini 4 space gray 64gb cellular

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Did they drop the price on the old Pencil at least?

If you want a cheaper version, get the Logitech Pencil, it’s at least $20 less.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deadguy2322 posted:

If you want a cheaper version, get the Logitech Pencil, it’s at least $20 less.

The Logitech Crayon doesn't have pressure sensitivity if that's important.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lordshmee posted:

Wonderful. Just what I wanted, a third cable to swap on my power brick :(

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075HR2FJF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I thought today was iPad day 😑

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Blinkman987 posted:

I thought today was iPad day 😑

Today was smart folio day for me, it’s tiny even for the 12.9.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Picked up the previous-gen iPad Pro 10.5, as there was a good deal on Ebay for a refurb with freee shipping along with an additional 15% off code (ended up paying just over $600 cad on the 64gb model, compared to $800 from Apple), my primary want was the 120hz screen first and foremost, so the newest model wasn't really worth an extra $400 to me.

Gotta say coming from an iPad Mini2 (which was verging on unusable at this point) it obviously blazes and the smoothness of the 120hz display is fantastic, but I was also pleasantly surprised by how less obnoxiously reflective the screen is. My iPad2 was largely used as an e-reader and this will likely be the #1 utility for this too, but really the mini kind of sucked in that regard as the screen was so drat reflective. I had to angle it specifically when anywhere near a natural light source. The Pro though hardly displays any distracting glare/reflection at all which is awesome, I can notice far less eye strain even in the brief period I've had it for.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Are they on display early or can I not even play with one until next week?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Are they on display early or can I not even play with one until next week?

I stopped by an apple store, not until the 7th.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Duckman2008 posted:

I stopped by an apple store, not until the 7th.

Lame but I guess it makes sense. If you can see but not buy it forces everyone to sleep on the decision.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple never puts things on display until launch day. The original Watch *might* have been an exception, but that makes some sort of sense for something you wear.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
I really want a new gen 3 ipad, but jesus the price for me being as creative as a tin of can, I just can't justify it.

Seeing gen 2 prices sink to about 600ish usd for a used 10.5" 64 gig including a pen and a cover just feels so much better in value ...

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm an Apple noob, how good is their shipping usually? My ETA for the iPad I just ordered says it's gonna show up on Wednesday, but it also hasn't shipped yet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fadam posted:

I'm an Apple noob, how good is their shipping usually? My ETA for the iPad I just ordered says it's gonna show up on Wednesday, but it also hasn't shipped yet.

Usually very good, if anything things come early.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

bless

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The defiantly get the goods out on time and 99% of the time ups is good about getting it there. It’s that 1% where the fucker doesn’t knock on the door and just leaves a note.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thanks fellas. Hopefully it gets here on Wednesday.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

fadam posted:

It's likely to arrive on time. It may have actually shipped already -- it takes Apple a while after shipping to actually mark the order as shipped. If you search UPS by "reference number" and use your phone number as the reference number, the package might show up that way.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I am so excited about the new Pro. One thing that's struck me through this is how hard bad the tech coverage is. Almost everyone Apple invited to the event just incorrectly regurgitates the feature checkbox that anyone could get anywhere, and maybe one sentence of their actual impressions on the size, weight and almost nothing on pencil-screen friction. I just want hours of subjective tech love poetry to justify my indulgent sight-unseen purchase and to keep slamming hype into my veins. It's like they have no idea what their job is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

chaosbreather posted:

It's like they have no idea what their job is.

Their job is to crank out as many separate articles and videos as they can with as little time and effort wasted between them so as to maximize clicks.