Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

That catgirls jetpack is literally pointed at her butt, she will fry her tail and butt the second she hits the on switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Phil Foglio stuff never fails to evoke a near visceral reaction that's offensive to the eyes in a hard to pin down kind of way. Dude's style just sucks.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Phil Foglio stuff never fails to evoke a near visceral reaction that's offensive to the eyes in a hard to pin down kind of way. Dude's style just sucks.

I find it very easy to pin down.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Wrapped up our Arkham Horror game tonight, turned out we were closer to finishing than I thought since I had misread the rule about where the clue and doom tokens go, but it still took us 2 additional hours to finish. We probably played overly conservative (we ran out the headline deck) so I think 2-3 hours is probably about where we will land when we play next.

Final verdict: It's good, I think. I definitely liked it more than eldritch horror. It's not as mechanically interesting as the Arkham LCG, but the rules are a lot clearer. We've played maybe a dozen games of the Arkham LCG and never once haven't hosed up something related to the scenario or agenda. Having read the rules reference, I only really have one outstanding rules question I am unsure of.

For some people, the tone of the game might be fairly off-putting. The board state can certainly be tense, but it also had a Gurren Lagann reference and a card where you time traveled into the future to eat at a hipster diner serving $5 avocado toast. So maybe not a good pick up if you legitimately care about the mythos.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Had an amazing game of Inis the other night. The other two players went all in on the Iron Mine, which was the capital, and has that advantage card where the person you attack loses a clan and a card. By the end, about five rounds in, that tile had two sanctuaries and six citadels in it. The whole thing kept seesawing between them; one would build a citadel, and then use Craftsmen and Peasants to plonk down four clans, and then the other would play Druid to pick up C&P, and put down four of his clans. Somehow they kept fighting, in spite of the constant festivals. Each of them was wiped out completely at least once, but they just coming back in brilliantly. Since there were so many clans there, whoever had the lead always had a victory condition from it, but somehow the margin always slipped away just before the end of the round.

They both lost, of course, but it was spectacular. I've also noticed our metagame shifting from "Always take Geis", to "Epic Tales win the game", to "Druid is the most important card".

ed. VVVVVV Oh yeah, I only won because of Bard. It took an entire round of cards to set up getting that Deed, but it was worthwhile.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 4, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Krazyface posted:

Had an amazing game of Inis the other night. The other two players went all in on the Iron Mine, which was the capital, and has that advantage card where the person you attack loses a clan and a card. By the end, about five rounds in, that tile had two sanctuaries and six citadels in it. The whole thing kept seesawing between them; one would build a citadel, and then use Craftsmen and Peasants to plonk down four clans, and then the other would play Druid to pick up C&P, and put down four of his clans. Somehow they kept fighting, in spite of the constant festivals. Each of them was wiped out completely at least once, but they just coming back in brilliantly. Since there were so many clans there, whoever had the lead always had a victory condition from it, but somehow the margin always slipped away just before the end of the round.

They both lost, of course, but it was spectacular. I've also noticed our metagame shifting from "Always take Geis", to "Epic Tales win the game", to "Druid is the most important card".

This will soon evolve into “bard is the most important card” and if you pass bard to the person with Druid wtf is wrong with you?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
The best non abstract to handicap is Galaxy Trucker - you just fire out additional rough road cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krazyface posted:

ed. VVVVVV Oh yeah, I only won because of Bard. It took an entire round of cards to set up getting that Deed, but it was worthwhile.

Our metagame shifted from "Druid is the most important card" to "Who wants to buy a copy of Inis?" after about three plays. The guy who owned it fell completely in love with it, then completely out of love with it. And everyone else would rather play Kemet. :shrug:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
We've played Inis 10 times and still quite like it. We play with a house rule that the palyers who are not the Brenn decide where the capital is.

Metawise, druid is definitely the best card, but sometimes you pass druid? Druid is great if you can string out your turn and don't need to fight immediately.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Nov 4, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We play Inis two player only.

Played the Aztec game at Sasquatch. Greatly enjoyed it but it’s not for everyone. Also played Underwater Cities and Reykholt. Tried to play PreHistory but it was so horribly convoluted we gave up.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

For some people, the tone of the game might be fairly off-putting. The board state can certainly be tense, but it also had a Gurren Lagann reference and a card where you time traveled into the future to eat at a hipster diner serving $5 avocado toast. So maybe not a good pick up if you legitimately care about the mythos.

I'm still looking forward to playing the game, and won't let one stupid thing ruin the experience, but this really does sound pretty dumb.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It boggles my mind that you can have a hot, in demand game with solid interest in the form of backed up pre-orders and still be in a position of "well there's just no way whatsoever to move forward on this, sadly."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sinteres posted:

I'm still looking forward to playing the game, and won't let one stupid thing ruin the experience, but this really does sound pretty dumb.

Even the original FFG version had the bank encounter where you're behind the little old lady counting out pennies and lose 1 sanity, but that was one card. If it's more than just one or two that could really cut into tone.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I introduced three players to Root yesterday and everyone loved it. I managed to win the first game as Woodland Alliance partially because I just knew more about how the game worked, but the Alliance also won the second game pretty handily.

Game 3 was far less interesting as the Birds went to into Turmoil on turns 1 and 2 and the Cats had no pressure on their infrastructure.

Still, everyone acknowledged that the game is great and two of them want to buy their own copies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Some Numbers posted:

Birds went to into Turmoil on turns 1

this is continually one of my favorite things I see happen when a new player tries the birds :allears:

Though I did introduce it to a friend last week who just went ham on adding 2 cards each turn and rolled us. He just clicked hard with the faction and game as a whole and did some really impressive stuff with the Dynasty, doubly so because it was his first game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bottom Liner posted:

this is continually one of my favorite things I see happen when a new player tries the birds :allears:

Though I did introduce it to a friend last week who just went ham on adding 2 cards each turn and rolled us. He just clicked hard with the faction and game as a whole and did some really impressive stuff with the Dynasty, doubly so because it was his first game.

I'm ashamed to admit that it was actually me that did that. I got Ambushed by the Cats both turns and couldn't build.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Even the original FFG version had the bank encounter where you're behind the little old lady counting out pennies and lose 1 sanity, but that was one card. If it's more than just one or two that could really cut into tone.

That’s a funny joke though. I have no idea how Gurren Lagann makes sense in Arkham Horror, and avocado toast is a dead horse.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kiranamos posted:

That’s a funny joke though. I have no idea how Gurren Lagann makes sense in Arkham Horror, and avocado toast is a dead horse.

It was pretty subtle, subtle enough where I doubt anyone not familiar with the show would catch it. So subtle it might not even be intentional and maybe me and my friend are just giant nerds.

Something along the lines of you brush some snails off a trash heap and find a common item. As you look at the snail, it's spiral shell makes you think of outer space.

Played a second game today and it ran about 3 hours and none of the cards we pulled were as silly, but then this scenario didn't have any anomaly encounters. Liked it even more on second playthrough though so would recommend to any eldritch horror fans.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Failboattootoot posted:

It was pretty subtle, subtle enough where I doubt anyone not familiar with the show would catch it. So subtle it might not even be intentional and maybe me and my friend are just giant nerds.

Something along the lines of you brush some snails off a trash heap and find a common item. As you look at the snail, it's spiral shell makes you think of outer space.

Played a second game today and it ran about 3 hours and none of the cards we pulled were as silly, but then this scenario didn't have any anomaly encounters. Liked it even more on second playthrough though so would recommend to any eldritch horror fans.

Aargh I am an Eldritch Horror fan (while acknowledging its weaknesses) but I don’t think I want to have both games at once. Can you be more specific about why you think AH is better? I had a look at the rules and thought it didn’t seem different enough. While I like the idea of it leaning even more into the scenario approach the fact it only has 4 made me wonder about whether I prefer the kind of variability EH has instead.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

That sounds more like an Uzumaki reference to be honest.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Blamestorm posted:

Aargh I am an Eldritch Horror fan (while acknowledging its weaknesses) but I don’t think I want to have both games at once. Can you be more specific about why you think AH is better? I had a look at the rules and thought it didn’t seem different enough. While I like the idea of it leaning even more into the scenario approach the fact it only has 4 made me wonder about whether I prefer the kind of variability EH has instead.

It feels like a more even experience. It's very much Eldritch Horror, but it seems a lot less prone to cosmically making GBS threads on you because you random'd some hosed up mythos cards. The big reason for this is that you don't have a mythos deck, you have a mythos cup, and you have to draw every token in the mythos cup before you return the previously drawn tokens to the cup. so the only time the mythos phase ever double shits on you is the unlucky event of gate bursting on the last draw, refilling, and then pulling it again. But this is a lot more rare than drew an absurd and hateful mythos card.

Improvement tokens can be easily acquired through the focus action, and spent for rerolls so you don't end up having to camp out in Australia until you manage to pass a strength improveing encounter. You are limited to 1 improvement per stat and have a cap on the number of improvement tokens you can have, but this lets you improve yourself noticeably early on. The display is 5 cards instead of 4 and is strictly item cards so you are a lot more likely to have something useful in the display than in EH, especially post expansions, 200 card item decks. Since the headlines deck is where the get hosed cards are, the encounters are usually a lot less destructive to fail. Also, the board is smaller on the whole and you can move 2 spaces with the move action instead of just 1, with the option to spend up to $2 to move 2 more spaces so you can book it 4 spaces with a move action. Makes it a lot easier to get to the problem areas and deal with the problems.

By the same token, even though it's less prone to utter fuckery, it actually does require a little bit more thought in what you are going to do. Getting 2+ monsters engaged on you can be a huge problem since you only fight one with the attack action. Also, the way gates work now is maybe the single best improvement. You have an event deck, that is about 20 cards, 4 from each of the 5 areas that make up the board. Whenever you pull the spawn clue token in the mythos phase, you draw the top card of the event, then take the top 2 cards of that areas encounter deck and shuffle it along with the event you just pulled before putting it back on top,. But if you draw the doom token, then instead, you draw from the bottom of the deck, and place a doom next to the area(s) with the doom symbol on them and discard it. When you draw the Gate Burst token, you take the top card of the event deck, spawn 1 doom in each of the 3 neighborhoods of that district, and then put that card in the discard pile, shuffle the discard pile, and then place it back on the bottom of the deck. This is where the Pandemic I mentioned in my first post comes in.

So, to get back to gates, you don't spawn gates in AH, but you can spawn anomalies that server a similar function. Anomalies spawn when a district has 5 doom in it, or if a single neighborhood gets 3 doom in it. Once the anomaly spawns, any time you would put doom in that district, it instead goes on the scenario sheet (which so far has been the failure condition of both scenarios I've done) and thus far, there is no way to get doom off the sheet. To clear the anomaly, you have to remove all of the doom in the district (you can remove doom with a new ward action, which is a lore check). Or you can have anomaly encounters which tend to clear doom as well. Unlike gates in Eldritch Horror, which you can often ignore for a fair bit of time before really needing to deal with them, anomalies immediately become a top tier priority to deal with because they will push you to lose the game, especially if you know you just shuffled 3 riverside cards in a stack of 5 cards back on the bottom of the deck

Lastly, virtually all the monsters will move around and the majority of them are going to be hunting somebody specific, so the board state is more interesting. Also, the monsters that don't move tend to be such a huge problem you need to get to them and kill them, since most of them put more doom on the scenario sheet, or on their space.

So even though the game is, in a lot of ways, easier than Eldritch Horror, it doesn't feel that way. It feels like you have more control over what happens to you (though it's still random as hell, just less so) since you have easier access to the tools you need to succeed, but it also forces you to make tougher considerations when you take your actions.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 5, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

taser rates posted:

That sounds more like an Uzumaki reference to be honest.

Spiral Power is the central focus of Gurren Lagann and is basically used for everything from magic to space travel.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Failboattootoot posted:

So even though the game is, in a lot of ways, easier than Eldritch Horror, it doesn't feel that way. It feels like you have more control over what happens to you (though it's still random as hell, just less so) since you have easier access to the tools you need to succeed, but it also forces you to make tougher considerations when you take your actions.

Thanks for this super detailed response, I really appreciate it. I am keen to at least try it now and will probably cave and pick it up. One last question, any views on scalability? You’ve been playing 2 player, right, it presumably feels good at that player count?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

al-azad posted:

Spiral Power is the central focus of Gurren Lagann and is basically used for everything from magic to space travel.

Yes I'm aware, but Uzumaki has spirals that drive people insane that are implied to have originated from space.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Spirals and other weird geometry giving you brain damage is a thing in cthulhu mythos, I don’t think its specificially a gurren lagann reference.

Avocado toast is also related to the madness of dealing with elder beings, so that’s not out of place either.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Blamestorm posted:

Thanks for this super detailed response, I really appreciate it. I am keen to at least try it now and will probably cave and pick it up. One last question, any views on scalability? You’ve been playing 2 player, right, it presumably feels good at that player count?

Scaling seems suspicious, not gonna lie. So far only 2 things have scaled: a few elite monsters have health that scaled with player count, and then every player always draws twice from the mythos cup so more players means a lot more poo poo happens faster. My hunch is that 3 and 4 players will probably still be fine, but I am unconvinced 5 and 6 players won't get incredibly hectic very fast.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Got to try both Lowlands and Nusfjord this weekend. While I enjoyed the puzzles going on in each, I can't foresee myself adding them to my collection. I have too many WP games as it is, and neither one really does enough to surpass things like Feast for Odin or Keyflower. For Lowlands though, it's the first time that I can recall a "Big Money" strategy actually working out.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Fellis posted:

Spirals and other weird geometry giving you brain damage is a thing in cthulhu mythos, I don’t think its specificially a gurren lagann reference.

It’s definitely this.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Non-euclidean geometry, hell yeah.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Fellis posted:

Avocado toast is also related to the madness of dealing with elder beings, so that’s not out of place either.

I don't care about Cthulhu mythos, but I am curious about this.

Also, who was the goon that had words about Men at Work? I read the rules, and it looks cool, but I am wondering how you go about loading a meeple with a beam or brick logistically.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I realize this thread is not the target audience, but I ran some demos of Fantastic Beasts: Perilous Pursuits over the weekend, and it's actually pretty good for what it is. It's a dice placement game, but has some good player interaction, since you can give other people dice to activate their abilities. it takes about an hour to play, and if you know people that like the setting, and like more casual games, you might want to give it a look.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody know a board game meetup in the CA peninsula area? Talking Mountain View / Palo Alto / San Jose.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
You could check out the Mountain View Games Kastle. Haven't been but it looks like they have regular events on the calendar.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

I don't care about Cthulhu mythos, but I am curious about this.

Somewhere in hidden corners of the deep web, there is a link. Take that link, apply ROT13 and cut and paste into a private build of FireFox configured with ‘-Dapply-secret-key Cthagn’.

Follow that link, and you will know the truth that has blasted the sanity of so many. Revealed to you will be the secret name of the most powerful race of the Elders.

And that name is Boomer.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I got super spoiled by stopping by Game Knight during my last trip to Portland.

More places should embrace being just a venue, and not trying to sell games also. It seems to work pretty well. Liquor license + safe space for nerds to nerd = moneyz.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There's a nice board game bar down in the city whose games are well maintained. I hate playing anything more complex than a party game there because it's loud as gently caress and that stresses me out and makes me irritated. Food was aces, though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SuperKlaus posted:

Anybody know a board game meetup in the CA peninsula area? Talking Mountain View / Palo Alto / San Jose.

Did you try meetup.com? Free to users, many board game groups are posted there.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's good advice. Games Kastle has a meetup on Tuesdays (election board game hype? Break out your copies of 1960) and I'll see what's on that site.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

jeeves posted:

I got super spoiled by stopping by Game Knight during my last trip to Portland.

More places should embrace being just a venue, and not trying to sell games also. It seems to work pretty well. Liquor license + safe space for nerds to nerd = moneyz.

Most board game cafes are this, aren't they?

There's a place in Ottawa called (used be more, but they all go out of business except) The Loft, that has a pretty good selection, some tasty, if maybe a little overpriced, food, and booze.

I mean, sure, they sell some board games, but for the most part the focus is on playing, food, and booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horrible accident!
Jan 16, 2005

squashed by obelisk
but it was my own fault

SuperKlaus posted:

I can only speak for palo alto but theres a larger monthly meetup at the one of the libaries, and some weekly ones are at happy donuts and antonio's nut house. I've only been a handful of times but it was good fun. I think the nut house is more about casual games and drinking, but happy donuts and the big monthly meetup both have a pretty nice variety of games and folks to play with. Theyre all on meetup.com for more specific details!