Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Black August
Sep 28, 2003

7 isn't the best or my favorite, but it holds a special place because it just didn't give a poo poo and had a creative life to all of it. A remake will strip the soul down to the ugly minimum to produce a bland gray melodrama.

Which is funny because if anything, with the world dying, it'd be a loving awesome time for an even more radical and extreme take on the game's themes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Speaking of games about climate change, the entire Atelier Dusk trilogy is set in a post-post-apocalyptic world where humans broke the world but now it's been a while and civilization has mostly recovered.

The third one takes a much more pessimistic bent with it turning out the world is still dying even though people stopped doing the things that were killing it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
7 actually is the best one eat my butt

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol, john da lancie narrates the opening of AC3

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

I started XCOM 2 and the actual combat system is pretty good. The overarching strategic stuff kinda sucks though

The occurring problem with Xcom is people want it to have a strategic layer but nobody ever actually enjoys doing the strategic layer when its complicated.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Instead of playing XCOM, which is a lesser Mario x Rabbids, just play Mario x Rabbids

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got like...halfway through that game or so

The gameplay ruled but I loving hate those lovely rabbit fuckers

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

goferchan posted:

VI isn't my favorite overall but I refuse to believe anyone could place it at the bottom in good faith . It's a really solid JRPG with some great twists on the formula in the second half ......., not accusing u of being insincere just very curious about your reason in therrv
I just found the whole game to be kind of unengaging. Cast was kind of flat, World of Ruin was a bit of a chore, wasn't into Kefka as a villain, didn't think much of the game thematically etc.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The occurring problem with Xcom is people want it to have a strategic layer but nobody ever actually enjoys doing the strategic layer when its complicated.
maybe that's true but I think other games have done the strategic layer better, even the original xcom's geoscape better than new-xcom's

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also the soundtrack rips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pTMsTGNvs

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of games about climate change, the entire Atelier Dusk trilogy is set in a post-post-apocalyptic world where humans broke the world but now it's been a while and civilization has mostly recovered.

The third one takes a much more pessimistic bent with it turning out the world is still dying even though people stopped doing the things that were killing it

I suppose they learned about the runaway greenhouse effect.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

so we're doing the family thanksgiving thing per usual and i wanna try to play a round of Trivia Murder Party, which I guess was on some jackbox pack or another. there any easy way to do that besides find the pack and buy it for... idk, switch if i can? i have no idea how these jackboxes work

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

so we're doing the family thanksgiving thing per usual and i wanna try to play a round of Trivia Murder Party, which I guess was on some jackbox pack or another. there any easy way to do that besides find the pack and buy it for... idk, switch if i can? i have no idea how these jackboxes work

It was on Jackbox 3.

That game is sold only in the pack. I also got it for the Switch and it was a hit at the party I brought it to, it was like being the woman from the E3 trailer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was on Jackbox 3.

That game is sold only in the pack. I also got it for the Switch and it was a hit at the party I brought it to, it was like being the woman from the E3 trailer

"it's on the switch" is basically exactly the answer I wanted to hear (and should have looked for) :cheers:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*runs into thread gasping for breath*

It's all right folks I can settle this.

IX
X
X-2
V
VII
XII
IV
II
III
I

XIII

VIII

:colbert:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What's the opposite of the :hai: emote because

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Starting with the lowest first I see, though I have to question your poor opinion of X-2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also VI is just not on the list I guess

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Well actually the best ff is the ff series is trash

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I liked 4, 6, most of 7, some of 10, and Tactics

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chumbler posted:

Starting with the lowest first I see, though I have to question your poor opinion of X-2.

Imagine being a person who thinks FF9 is a garbage game :holymoley:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also VI is just not on the list I guess

It's the only one I've not played cause the ROM I had bugged out during the first fight that you get Sabin :negative:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
final fantasy games vary enough in execution and theme in ways that will make it easier for some of them to connect with specific people than others, with a lot of games that were groundbreaking at the time but have a lot of awkward writing issues that newer jrpgs generally handle better while even the worst games aren't nearest enough to the bottom of the barrel for jrpgs, that you will very frequently find people who really like the ones people generally say are bad and people who don't really care about the ones people generally say are incredible

anyway all of the ff7 side story stuff was a really long time ago and considering it kind of ended off with crisis core and they've said that they'll keep a lot of the weirder stuff in the ff7 remake i think it's kind of presumptuous to say they're going to lose ff7's humor, but that's assuming the ff7 remake ever actually forms into, a thing that exists

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't wait for the Honey Bee Inn to be rendered in ultra hi-def

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope the wutai sidequest just straight-up displays an og ps1 ff7 dialog choice prompt when don corneo makes his choice at the end, with zero explanation

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I need to see 4K 1080 200fps dynamic lighting Aeris with violently shaking hands, clenched teeth and steely wide eyes telling Cloud, no, dress as a woman

IT’S THE ONLY WAY.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FF4, FF5, and FF6 are the only FF games I've played. I enjoyed all of them but never completed a single one because I don't have patience for JRPGs after a certain point.

FF6 was the closest I came to beating. Did basically everything other than the Cultist's Tower. After finally slogging through that area and beating the boss I got wiped out by his deathblow ultima.

Never picked up the game again after that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just play ancient cave

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Lufia fuckin rocked

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah but what if someone romhacked ff5 to have lufia in it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my personal problem with ff is that i dig jrpgs but not one of the ff games i've played had a combat system that i could get into past the first like ten hours so i always end up just cheating through it all in like the last five or ten hours whereas there are tons of other jrpgs with turn-based systems that i have had way more fun with

like i enjoyed the writing in ff7 and 9 a lot and there are some cool beats in ffx but i don't think i could ever push myself to replay those as, games, over like shadow hearts 2 or trails of cold steel

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 5, 2018

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

homeless snail posted:

yeah but what if someone romhacked ff5 to have lufia in it

Every FF has an Ancient Cave hack now

Because Lufia ROCKS

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Black August posted:

Square had the first Lovecraft Anime RPG and they hosed it UP with Cross and then buried it because success must take the form of blind obedience to a hasbeen man who hates RPGs taking 10 years to poo poo out a roadtrip and haute cuisine simulator

I dunno if I'd call Chrono Trigger "Lovecraft Anime" but it is the best JRPG that has ever been and Cross is a horrendous sequel in every conceivable way. Like there's a weird contempt for CT running throughout it. No, you don't get to time travel this time! No, nobody you like comes back! And the art style is totally different! And so is the story! And so are the mechanics! And we replaced it all with garbage gently caress you!

Like there was no need for them to just shove the entire cast of the first game in a fridge at the start of it and basically say "Everything these cool people worked for collapsed into ruin 10 minutes after the ending". Lots of games have sequels where the characters don't return, but there isn't a cutscene showing the protagonists of the previous game being shoved into a meat grinder in the opening of every FF.

The White Dragon posted:

i would suggest that ff15 is amazing in spite of tetsuya nomura.

I would suggest that it is not amazing at all, because of Tetsuya Nomura, and I wish his hands fell off so he'd stop making bad games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lurdiak posted:

but there isn't a cutscene showing the protagonists of the previous game being shoved into a meat grinder in the opening of every FF.

iirc this is the plot of ff4: the after years

quote:

I would suggest that it is not amazing at all, because of Tetsuya Nomura, and I wish his hands fell off so he'd stop making bad games.

i mean sure it could've been better but it touched my heart

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
REvil4 latest: I've bumped into my old friend Ada. We snarked at each other and then she tried to blow me up so I think I've got a shot with her. That's like a secret agent's idea of flirting, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Chrono Trigger is not the best JRPG

maybe best SNES JRPG if you define JRPG narrowly enough to exclude Fire Emblem

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

iirc this is the plot of ff4: the after years

Kinda I guess, but that game also sucks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

Chrono Trigger is not the best JRPG

this. i replayed both ff6 and chrono trigger this year, and i must say, i enjoyed 6 a lot more. like they're both good, and CT had a lot more to teach me about sprite tricks and level design, but i think 6 was way better, no question.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This isn't a position I can be argued away from.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the greatest JRPG (excluding SRPGs) is, for the record, Valkyrie Profile 2

The rest of the top 5 is filled out by Final Fantasy VIII, Valkyrie Profile, Atelier Ayesha, and Atelier Lydie and Suelle but I'm not sure about the order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
It's not even the best SNES jrpg since both Romancing SaGa 2 and Tactics Ogre are on there

• Locked thread