Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
It is a bit weird how Arcana hasnt been made plentifully obtainable outside farming Magicites.
Id easily use Greens to buy em every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Shoenin posted:

It is a bit weird how Arcana hasnt been made plentifully obtainable outside farming Magicites.
Id easily use Greens to buy em every week.

We are. I think we're about 3/4 months out to a pretty big Gyshal Shop upgrade. Link to reddit page detailing new shop prices.

You can get 4 5* Arcana at 2000 Greens each weekly, and 5000 greens if you want more. That said, the weekly and monthly things available at the greens shop get pretty great, so green spending actually gets tight and requires you to pick and choose.

Quick List extracted from previous link [Amount Available x Greens Required each]:
    Weekly:
  • Mythril (1 x 100)
  • Stamina (4 x 100)
  • Stamina (4 x 1000)
  • 5* Arcana (4 x 2000)
  • Crystals (6 Types x 10 x 2500)
  • 5* Orbs (6 Types x 10 x 1000)

Monthly:
  • Mythril (1 x 1000)
  • MC3 (2 x 3000)
  • 5* Motes (5 Types x 10 x 1000)
  • 4* Motes (5 Types x 40 x 400)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Geocities Homepage King posted:

I did it. Everyone is now level 99. Help.

Congratulations! Now it's time to make a new account, and start over!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Did some general cleanup today, vaulted a bunch of RMs, that sort of thing. Decided to finish everyone's 3* dives. I ran out of vit motes on the last character. Meanwhile, I have ~5.5k dex motes leftover. Nice.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Did some general cleanup today, vaulted a bunch of RMs, that sort of thing. Decided to finish everyone's 3* dives. I ran out of vit motes on the last character. Meanwhile, I have ~5.5k dex motes leftover. Nice.

Yeah it's kind of silly how unbalanced mote costs are, and the bottlenecks that causes. They really need to just merge all the types and have them be based on rank only.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Daily draw today was Garnet Chain!!! Stoked as gently caress for this, it was the only big thing I was missing for my truly disgusting lightning mage team. The only problem now is Garnet has too much stuff to do.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

i got edward's usb out of a daily draw, that's pretty good right?

Yes. It's excellent. Give him Mage's Hymn and either Mana's Paean or Allegro Con Motto and he can buff a mage party all by himself.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Can't remember the last time I got anything decent from the daily draw :(

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Today was my fourth Tiger Claw (VI). The one thing worse than a 1* is a 5* you have no use for :negative:

It's gone in the vault for the day that legendary weapons exist.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pulled on the FF9 banner today.
Freya USB/BSB
Amarant USB
Beatrix LMR
Garnet BSB (dagger of resolve)

Nice stuff for Freya; it's a shame I find dragoons a bit clunky, but if I decide to dive her that USB supports her trance well (reduced jump airtime, trance has a chaser to jumps). Amarant goes into the "I have so drat many physical fire attackser" pile. Beatrix's cover LMR is LOLbad but 10atk is 10atk. And Garnet's BSB is nothing special.

Still, 5/11 for 15 mythril, 3 of which are at least useable even if I'm not using em? Quite good.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DeadButDelicious posted:

Can't remember the last time I got anything decent from the daily draw :(

I haven’t played regularly since maybe June? When did they upgrade the daily draw?

Generalissimo
Jun 13, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I haven’t played regularly since maybe June? When did they upgrade the daily draw?
About a couple months after that.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

pichupal posted:

We are. I think we're about 3/4 months out to a pretty big Gyshal Shop upgrade. Link to reddit page detailing new shop prices.

You can get 4 5* Arcana at 2000 Greens each weekly, and 5000 greens if you want more. That said, the weekly and monthly things available at the greens shop get pretty great, so green spending actually gets tight and requires you to pick and choose.

Mag fuckin neato. Quality of life, no matter how small, is always good!

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Pulled on the FF9 banner today.
Freya USB/BSB
Amarant USB
Beatrix LMR
Garnet BSB (dagger of resolve)

Nice stuff for Freya; it's a shame I find dragoons a bit clunky, but if I decide to dive her that USB supports her trance well (reduced jump airtime, trance has a chaser to jumps). Amarant goes into the "I have so drat many physical fire attackser" pile. Beatrix's cover LMR is LOLbad but 10atk is 10atk. And Garnet's BSB is nothing special.

Still, 5/11 for 15 mythril, 3 of which are at least useable even if I'm not using em? Quite good.

Garnet's BSB1 is nothing special but having a lightning boost knife that's decent at ATK/MAG/MIND is pretty useful! I have Prompto use it in my Kraken clears because he doesn't know how to sword or spear. I like to think he's modified it into a GUN KNIFE for all the machinist abilities.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Hi again, it’s the returning player who constantly mentions he’s returning.

I’m hitting the point where I can clear Difficulty 180s for the most part if they aren’t element/realm specific.

I’m closing in on my ability cap now and while I have plenty of mythril to expand it I’m wondering if there’s some sort of base list of how many 5*s and of what rank I should be angling for to do end game content.

I have one of every 5* spellblade, black magic, and summon at R2 as well as the holy/earth knight blades and the 5* earth monk ability, but it’s clearly not enough to field a full elemental team except maybe earth and holy.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

R3 for offensive abilities is minimum, R4 is nice, R5 only needed if you have a ability doubler or rank boosting sb. For support abilities (prot,affliction break etc) R1 is usually enough.

What abilties you should make depends on who you have soulbreaks for.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

You'll want the abilities you use regularly to be r3 for sure but you can get by with r2 for quite a while and just upgrade to r3 when you find yourself running out. If you're at the ability cap already you might be saving too many low rank skills like single-hit mage spells etc that you'll never use again, see if you got any you can toss. You'll need to expand ability slots a bit eventually but I found it wasn't until I had a pretty broad selection of 5* and 6* skills made.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
In terms of conquering element dungeons, what am I looking at? 4 of each relevant spellblade? Four of each chain element spell? Two of each? One of each plus making sure I have every single other phys/mag skill and cobbling a team from that?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the 5* spellblades kinda suck these days. unimpressive potency, no frills to make up for it.

bring whatever abilities match the characters you're bringing, which obviously comes down to what SBs you've got. don't hone it until you need it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It all depends. For your eventual holy team you'll probably need several assault sabres since physical holy is exclusive to knights. But your earth team might end up being one monk, one spellblade, one heavy user so you wouldn't need multiples of those.

But again, it'll mostly come down to what relics you pull.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Amarant USB is nice with a chain, that elemental reflect jacks your numbers up quickly.

I have one copy of every (maybe almost every, I think I'm missing a few of the redundant Dark abilities) 5*. What you hone really does depend on what you need. All things being equal, one copy of each black magic 5* isn't a bad place to start so you can field a mage team when needed, but physical...I rarely have people using the same abilities in my elemental teams, outside of black magic or physical holy (Assault Sabre being the only real great option there).

For example : my physical lightning team:
Lightning (USB) with lightning 5* spellblade and celerity abilities
Edgar (USB) with the Machinist lightning abilities
Kain (AOSB) with the Dragoon lightning abilities
Plus a healer and a support

So it really depends on who you have that has good SBs and what they need to make the most of them.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I think the last time I needed 'a lot of copies of one ability' was during the pre-big ability buff (which itself was a year ago) Cagnazzo fight, where I needed more thunder abilities so made a bunch of Swift Bolts and/or lightning spellblades

Now my multiple copies are pretty limited, boiling down into 3 categories; A) Havent unlocked the higher tier (a second Chain Firaga into Firaja) B) Not enough options to go around (Assault Sabre for knights, SSS for my Ice spellblades) or C) Utility (Lifesiphon, Wrath)

Ive thought about dumping my third LS if I run out of space. The max copies you'll probably need of any ability is 3, one for each of the DPS you're fielding

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Arcon posted:

I think the last time I needed 'a lot of copies of one ability' was during the pre-big ability buff (which itself was a year ago) Cagnazzo fight, where I needed more thunder abilities so made a bunch of Swift Bolts and/or lightning spellblades

Now my multiple copies are pretty limited, boiling down into 3 categories; A) Havent unlocked the higher tier (a second Chain Firaga into Firaja) B) Not enough options to go around (Assault Sabre for knights, SSS for my Ice spellblades) or C) Utility (Lifesiphon, Wrath)

Ive thought about dumping my third LS if I run out of space. The max copies you'll probably need of any ability is 3, one for each of the DPS you're fielding

If you're really going balls-to-the-wall nuts you make six to eight copies of Assault Saber, and then have your dudes spam nothing but.

I've only ever seen that done with people who already own Marche USB, Orlandeau USB, and Ramza USB2/Chain, though, and even then you really don't need it unless you're doing some amazingly overblown "I nuked down this endgame boss in 10 seconds" shenanigans.

Aside from that, the quoted post is generally a good rule of thumb; most mages will only need one stack of a spell if you're gonna hone up to R4 unless you have thirstycast (or 'true doublecast' as some people refer to it, which is the 100% double-cast spell effect on some USBs) or something removing your cast time; most things will die in a lot sooner than 10-12 turns (your 8 spells + SB casts) per character. Two R3s is a little cheaper orb-wise but cuts down on your in-battle versatility, but for some characters (Tidus with Sharpshooter skills, Vivi with Black Magic) you're generally going to just want to spam the murder button anyway.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So how do you guys build DPSs, then? Liphesiphon/Wraith and then 1 big hit ability?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

So how do you guys build DPSs, then? Liphesiphon/Wraith and then 1 big hit ability?

i don't think i've used lifesiphon in half a year. 1-2 5*+ elemental abilities, and an imperil somewhere on the team if the boss doesn't have a weakness

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That’s generaly* fine early on where sb spam ruins things (used that for some 4* magicites). Later you’ll want to transition to dps right away thanks to chains, 6* abilities or start with element lmrs.

* some subset of skills want to be comboed, like ninja skills - one builds blinks, second does more damage with blink, dark zone users might want memento mori to doom themselves first etc.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Fat Samurai posted:

Once you're at the endgame, most skill loadouts are more like two 5* to 6* abilities, depending on character and what they're used for. Lifesiphon or Wrath does build up gauge faster, but damage skills do actual damage while also building bar.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks, the OP said “get a lot of Lifesiphon” and I thought I was doing something wrong because usually only carry one for my biggest USB that cannot use Spellblades nor spells.

YMMV, I guess.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Lifesiphon is definitely good as a budget option, since hones are expensive at the start. Lifesiphon in to BSB and it's commands is really handy early on, but most Ultras require you to use actual skills, so that's what you're eventually aiming for.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

OK, I see stuff like this all the time. But I don't know what USB2 is for Ramza. Nor do I know for what USBn is for any character. Is there a list somewhere that tells me? I mean, I know that USB2 means it's the 2nd USB released for Character X, I just don't know the orders, so I have no idea what's being referred to in cases like the above.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

There's different ways to find out, people in the discord have a bot that can look them up, there's a spreadsheet that's kinda hard to look at, my preferred way is using the ffrk.pdf and the soul breaks are listed under a character with the newest on top, oldest on bottom (generally - they're still sorted by type first, so for example a character with an older chain might have a newer usb that came after the chain, but the chain will be higher because chains > usbs or w/e logic you wanna use there)

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16K1Zryyxrh7vdKVF1f7eRrUAOC5wuzvC3q2gFLch6LQ/htmlview#gid=168115296 For in depth info, but https://ffrkstrategy.gamematome.jp/game/951/wiki/Character is also fine if you don’t need to see actual numbers behind stuff.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

OK, I see stuff like this all the time. But I don't know what USB2 is for Ramza. Nor do I know for what USBn is for any character. Is there a list somewhere that tells me? I mean, I know that USB2 means it's the 2nd USB released for Character X, I just don't know the orders, so I have no idea what's being referred to in cases like the above.
Usually we refer to Enlir's spreadsheets for help remembering, since it's updated regularly.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16K1Zryyxrh7vdKVF1f7eRrUAOC5wuzvC3q2gFLch6LQ/edit#gid=938172420
The official wiki only lists things as they're added in Global, but it does have the soul breaks listed in order per character, too.
https://ffrkstrategy.gamematome.jp/game/951/wiki/Home

On the discord, there's a bot that pulls from Enlir's and lists in order (like if you want to know, say, Bartz's bursts- just please do that in the bot-spam channel).

(Looks like I've been beaten to the punch on both, but hey, a bit of visual example, too!)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for the links. That's a lot of data to take in, but that's OK with me.

Also, what's the general power ranking for Bursts? I'm thinking it's Chain > USB > OSB > BSB > SSB > Default > Shared, but I'm not sure where AOSB and Glint fit in...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's about right. Worth noting that BSBs are being phased out in Japan just like SSBs currently are for global. GSBs are roughly superior to most BSBs mainly because they're instant cast and because most burst commands aren't very useful anymore. AOSBs are kind of hard to gauge because while their damage potential is massive, you can only ever use them once per battle.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Bursts - the entry effect can be a budget option for enelement or if it is a party buff/imperil and you don’t have a better usb. The commands are generaly weaker than 5* abilities, but you can make a lot of them work especially early on or with chains.

There are some notable expections that legit hold up - Squall bsb2 is insanely strong, Papalymo and Maria can do 6 hits which makes them theoretically stronger than even chain spells, Alpinaud and Raines chain for instant casts, healer instant command command and medica don’t have an ability equivalent either...

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

I did it! My first Crystal Tower clear! :woop:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

That's about right. Worth noting that BSBs are being phased out in Japan just like SSBs currently are for global. GSBs are roughly superior to most BSBs mainly because they're instant cast and because most burst commands aren't very useful anymore. AOSBs are kind of hard to gauge because while their damage potential is massive, you can only ever use them once per battle.

AOSB's costing 1.5x as much as USB's is a big deal as well, especially for something that generally doesn't do anything other than a lot of damage. Of course, if the damage is enough to kill the boss, it doesn't need to do anything else. So they definitely have a use, but I generally find characters with just USB's to be more useful than those with just AOSB's.

Also, chains are really powerful but you only want one of them in your party. I would say chains and USB's are roughly in the same tier of power level, AOSB and Glint are more in the Legend Materia group where they're good complementary pieces, and OSB's are down in the mostly-outdated section with BSB's.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I used to not really value OSBs until the buff to 5* abilities to generate more SB gauge, now I look forward to them as an easy boosting damage option for even mediocre characters (read: don't have much else for) as it's easy to build to an OSBs' strengths (+elemental gear, against an elemental weakness, damage boosting RMs, and having en-element which is admittedly trickier without either having a start-battle-with LMR or using another SB to provide it) and have it all come out as a frontloaded benefit as a tangent to what I'm already likely doing (elemental damage). This goes triple for AOSBs but their once-a-battle use and three bars requirements definitely necessitates having all the previously mentioned support for it on hand.

unrelatedly I have Noctis' AOSB and Glint and I swear to god I will find the day where I can justifiably build him up to 4 bars and use them both and not be massively disappointed

Eight-Six fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rujasu posted:

AOSB's costing 1.5x as much as USB's is a big deal as well, especially for something that generally doesn't do anything other than a lot of damage. Of course, if the damage is enough to kill the boss, it doesn't need to do anything else. So they definitely have a use, but I generally find characters with just USB's to be more useful than those with just AOSB's.

Also, chains are really powerful but you only want one of them in your party. I would say chains and USB's are roughly in the same tier of power level, AOSB and Glint are more in the Legend Materia group where they're good complementary pieces, and OSB's are down in the mostly-outdated section with BSB's.

Glints range the gamut between "as good as USBs on the right character" (Quistis, Bartz, Yuffie) to "as bad as SSBs" (Celes, early enelement stacks). OSBs are slightly lower than AOSB I'd figure - they do less damage but can be used indefinitely, so they actually have a little better utility for 5* magicite than AOSBs, but they're not fight enders any more.

As stated, you just want one chain in your party, anything more than that isn't really important. You aren't going to run multiple chains in a team but that first one is huge. USBs are your bread and butter (I'd generally rank between USBs with Brave Mode > Thirstycast > Rank Chaser > Overstrike Finisher > Normal Chaser > Quickcycle > Other, as far as DPS goes) high end gear and as stated, LMRs don't do much of anything unless you already have good kit on the character. They're okay for poverty builds on their own but you generally won't rush to use a character with just their LMR.