Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

There's plenty of sporty activities furry friends can enjoy, but competition, and especially paid competition *will* ruin everything.

the only moral animal sport is the puppy bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stexils posted:

the only moral animal sport is the puppy bowl

Puppy CTE is no joke.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Memento posted:

Do they have steeplechase in the US? Horse racing over jumps and pools of water and poo poo? Every year here the racing season starts and every year some poor horse falls over and breaks a leg and they shoot it. I'm not a fan of horses but I'm even less a fan of sending them out to die so people can gamble.

Also the jockeys get injured to but gently caress'em they had the choice not to do it.

They do but it's very limited unlike Great Britain. They just had the Virginia Downs at Great Meadow race, which is one of the few I've seen domestically. I literally can't even watch it; horses aren't meant to do that kinda crap naturally, and it's loving cruel.

Regarding most horse races, every day I reckon I see about 30 tracks a day, with about 20 races a piece. Most days nothing happens but when they do get hurt it sucks because they had no agency in it.

Dogs loving LOVE chasing poo poo. I would bet a greyhound at full tilt would do amazing at Pier jumping. But again, owners don't have any incentive to keep an injured dog alive so they just kill them, and I can't wait for Florida to criminalize greyhound racing.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 5, 2018

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Mr. Apollo posted:

I get a Chris Foss vibe from this.

just wanted to quote you as I got a weird jpeg artifact 70s to 80s paperback pulp scifi vibe too :)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't want to be too hard on you but if you think that's what eurotourism is about oh man are you american. And if you paid cruise money to hang out in the sun and drink well, I guess I said I wouldn't too hard on you.

Going to Europe is for looking at war memorials and finding pubs to get drunk in, who the gently caress goes to a beach or shopping?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Dogs loving LOVE chasing poo poo. I would bet a greyhound at full tilt would do amazing at Pier jumping. But again, owners don't have any incentive to keep an injured dog alive so they just kill them, and I can't wait for Florida to criminalize greyhound racing.

How about a whippet?

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2018/10/11/17963868/spitfire-the-whippet-31-foot-jumo-worlds-most-athletic-dog

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Going to Europe is for looking at war memorials and finding pubs to get drunk in, who the gently caress goes to a beach or shopping?

There's pubs on the beaches, ain't there? Probably plenty with war memorials too—beaches, not pubs. Kill three birds with one stone.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ok good point, there are five specific beaches that it's acceptable to visit while a tourist in Europe, although the French don't really do "pubs" so you're only hitting two of the three.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, it's France. They need pubs like fish need swimming pools.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Welp, glad im on the south west corridor.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Wasabi the J posted:

I work in a network communications company broadcasting horse races.

Dog racing is the wildest wrecks, hands down. 70 lbs of dog doesn't stop if it loses traction at 55 MPH and a dog will wipe out half the other dogs running. There's no good news. They die from their injuries or are simply put down.

Now harness racing is way more dangerous than thoroughbreds and quarter horse.

Jockeys don't die as often as drivers; drivers are the riders that do harness races. Those wrecks are way more violent, since you're adding a cart and harness and wheels to the equation. Most people have seen the video of the cart get pole vaulted.

Not as many have seen the one where the gate car spun out on ice and all the horses in the field crashed into the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhynju2qetY

I hate animal sports.

So did that first horse to hit lose just his harness or his whole drat horse head?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Memento posted:

Do they have steeplechase in the US? Horse racing over jumps and pools of water and poo poo? Every year here the racing season starts and every year some poor horse falls over and breaks a leg and they shoot it. I'm not a fan of horses but I'm even less a fan of sending them out to die so people can gamble.

Also the jockeys get injured to but gently caress'em they had the choice not to do it.

There's a one day meet near me every year. Trump's NJ golf course is like two miles west of the track.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Not as many have seen the one where the gate car spun out on ice and all the horses in the field crashed into the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhynju2qetY

I hate animal sports.

Why are they racing in January in New Jersey? It's cold! There must be a ton of off track betting or something.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Further to the cruise ship talk I've been watching more videos of ship related OSHA things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ar6DWDVWXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPy2DHHnlqQ

not going to lie but getting to sail one of these things must feel great. I wonder can they just go manual and grab the wheel and go manual mode. That'd be sick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMO-uIep4GE

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm so glad we're working towards banning dog racing in Australia.

Turns out like 90% of dogs bred for racing don't make the cut. So they're killed. Not by vets, that would cost money.

I'm not going to bring the thread down by saying how the breeders get rid of their "excess", suffice to say that anything you're thinking of right now - it's worse.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

More Ship OSHA: This article is the story of the El Faro, a ship that didn't quite make it through a hurricane based on the recovered bridge voice recordings.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
My understanding, possibly from earlier in this thread, is that cruise ships are a near-endless source of OSHA material given the imbalance of power between the companies and the generally-poor employee pool they draw from. As a customer, though, I love the idea of flitting between several destinations I don’t know very well and never having to worry about locating a hotel or a restaurant.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

RoastBeef posted:

More Ship OSHA: This article is the story of the El Faro, a ship that didn't quite make it through a hurricane based on the recovered bridge voice recordings.

Great read. Holy poo poo it sounded like that thing went down fast towards the end of the recording. I would have thought they would design launchable lifeboats a bit better considering that system they had was useless if they ship was listed to the wrong side.
It's crazy to think how these giant feats of engineering hold up in the sea's so well. At least now we know how a modern ship handles category 4 hurricanes.

related video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHlEXn37dVg

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

MisterOblivious posted:

They're being researched and tested. Mostly passive stuff that let people carry heavier objects by redistributing the weight, spring loaded arm braces for people working with their arms over their heads all day, and the aforementioned "chairless chair."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARz9Hikl6Pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWmFEoDjUc4

:stare:

We are living in the future!

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i want both right meow, how much you think they cost

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Former DILF posted:

i want both right meow, how much you think they cost

The offbrand chairless chair on amazon is $1k

The noonee ones aren't really purchasable anywhere unless you're a big corp at this point yet, and no US distributors at all

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Azhais posted:

The offbrand chairless chair on amazon is $1k

The noonee ones aren't really purchasable anywhere unless you're a big corp at this point yet, and no US distributors at all

What kind of capitalism are we living in if we can't even purchase mechanical exoskeletons that exist?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Mr. Apollo posted:

Needs more coloured stripes and/or chequerboard patterns on the ship.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Maxwells Demon posted:

What kind of capitalism are we living in if we can't even purchase mechanical exoskeletons that exist?

i'm sure you can purchase one... thousand. for your factory, that you own, as a capitalist.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I’ve worked on cruise ships and they’re absolutely terrifying floating shrines to box ticking and technically satisfying rules.

They thirst for human sacrifice and I have no idea how we don’t have a titanic on an annual basis.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Mr. Apollo posted:

My aunt and uncle went to Cairo on their honeymoon too. They landed in the evening of June 4, 1967 so their trip was quite short.

drat, that sucks. Were they able to fly out?

My one uncle's family was in Beirut, teaching at the Anglo-American school there when the war came. They loaded their family up into a VW bus and drove out. They stayed with us outside of Zurich for a bit, 1973.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Can't remember if I read the explanation before, but even if the cars are lashed down properly, who the gently caress transports vehicles completely exposed to sea spray? Were they scrap?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The way it's set up it looks like a ferry

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

DrPossum posted:

lol if you voluntarily expose your body to the cancer-cursing sun

:hfive:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Mr. Apollo posted:

This reminds me of the Animals in War memorial in London. The inscription reads “They had no choice.”

Just like soldiers who aren't allowed to quit! :v:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Just like soldiers who aren't allowed to quit! :v:

the difference between a draft horse and a draftee is that the war department has to pay for the former

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Got some potential for OSHA coming up soon, a truck will be delivering a deckel fp2 milling machine, I am somewhat worried the guy will screw up when unloading it, it will be delivered via truck with a liftgate. Here's hoping I won't be crushed, or worse, the machine will be damaged.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TTerrible posted:

I’ve worked on cruise ships and they’re absolutely terrifying floating shrines to box ticking and technically satisfying rules.

They thirst for human sacrifice and I have no idea how we don’t have a titanic on an annual basis.

Unless a drunk captain flips one, boats have a pretty solid failure mode. Having to evacuate one because the power or plumbing went out seems more common.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrPossum posted:

lol if you voluntarily expose your body to the cancer-cursing sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5Otla5157c

schmug
May 20, 2007

"hahahaha, that's loving awesome" :allears:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

We're back to weekly Russian bridge collapses.

http://tass.com/emergencies/1029317

http://tass.com/emergencies/1029319

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6B3uvhrcQk

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Another two part piece for you all.  First bit about Eltham Well Hall, going back to 1972.  It’s a properly different world we’re looking at here, which tells a bit of a story when you compare it to a more recent event.

On 11th June 1972 Robert Wilsdon was booked to drive the return leg of an “excursion” trip from London to Margate, on the Kent coast.  It was a day trip for tourists, specially scheduled. Now they’d be called “charter” trains. He was supposed to book on about 3pm in London but instead phoned up his rostering manager that afternoon and told them he’d go directly to Ramsgate for about 5pm to take the train out of the depot.  

He arrived in Ramsgate, took the train to Margate, had a short break, then drove it back to London full of tourists on their way back from the beach. At Eltham Well Hall the track dips sharply and curves.  There is a 20mph speed restriction. Wilsdon shut off power at about 60mph at the top of the hill but didn’t apply the brake at all. He hit the curve at about 65mph and derailed the front few coaches, killing himself and four passengers.

A few days later Wilsdon was tested and found to have been blind drunk. There were discrepancies between the alcohol levels in his blood and those in his urine, indicating that in fact his body was still absorbing alcohol so he had probably been drinking in the immediate run up to the accident. The levels were consistent with him having drunk about 8-9 pints of beer. He had seen an awful lot of other staff during the day and no one had raised any alarm.

Wilsdon had been accompanied all shift by his “Secondman”, a grade that no longer exists. This was the eighteen year old P.E. Stokes, who survived and was interviewed in hospital. He said when Wilsdon had met him at Ramsgate he had smelt of alcohol, but they had worked together for 2 years and Stokes had often seen him in nearby pubs around the depot socially.  He believed “Bob” could “hold a great deal”, and didn’t think to inform anyone. He said Wilsdon had told him he’d drunk 2-3 pints with his brothers at lunch, then drunk a bottle of sherry with them in the afternoon. When they’d got to Margate Wilsdon had told him they had some time so they both went to the pub. They had about 2-3 pints each there before getting back to the train. They got back in the cab and, reading between the lines in his report, Stokes then fell asleep.  He remembered pretty much nothing else other than Wilsdon’s last words as the train tipped: “loving hell”.

Wilsdon’s brothers admitted they’d been drinking with him at lunch but both denied they’d drunk sherry with him in the afternoon.  They said he never drank sherry. Given that the blood alcohol results were already in by this point it isn’t clear what purpose this obvious lie serves.  Wilsdon was very drunk. If it didn’t happen with them then it happened while he was on duty, which was even worse. The inquiry came to the conclusion either his brothers were lying or he had a bottle of spirits with him in the cab of some description. Two bottles of beer were found unopened in the cab, as a gift from the excursion organisers to Wilsdon and Stokes.  This was common for trains of this nature.

After the accident British Rail changed its policy on drinking.  Previously it had been against the rules to drink on duty. Now it became against the rules to book on under the influence.  The inquiry considered this sufficient. The limit of its recommendations on the subject were to suggest tighter controls on train crew booking on for duty away from their depot, as when they did that it meant no one could verify if they were fit for duty or not.

I find the whole thing horrifying, from a modern point of view.  Obviously the incident is terrible, and I have little sympathy Wilsdon, but the inquiry does not read well. Back then it seems like it was an industry of alcoholics and those making excuses for alcoholics and desperately trying to avoid having to do anything about the problem.

Wilsdon definitely booked on drunk, and he definitely saw other members of staff when he did so. None of them raised the alarm, as it was in fact not uncommon.  What difference would it have made if he had booked on at his home depot as the report recommended? I doubt anyone would have given a poo poo there either. The report noted it was already against the rules for crew to drink on duty, but then failed to draw any conclusions from the fact that Stokes and Wilsdon were doing so without anyone being the slightest concerned about it while it was happening.  Shouldn’t that make you question the culture you were dealing with?

The report briefly considered recommending rules similar to those governing airline pilots, where at the time they were not allowed to drink for 8 hours before a shift.  This was rejected out of hand as it would be: “unfair to the ordinary responsible, sober, and decent driver who likes a drink with his dinner.”

There aren’t that many people still around on the railway who were around then.  When you speak to the ones who were this story doesn’t seem all that out of the ordinary.  Back then when the rostering manager needed to find the booked cover crew they would phone the local pub.  Even if it was against the rules it was clearly not enforced. Much like the culture of fatigue there was a culture of hard drinking that wouldn’t change for several years yet.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PainterofCrap posted:

drat, that sucks. Were they able to fly out?

My one uncle's family was in Beirut, teaching at the Anglo-American school there when the war came. They loaded their family up into a VW bus and drove out. They stayed with us outside of Zurich for a bit, 1973.
Yeah, they woke up to explosions and people running around the hotel in a panic. They found out what was going on and raced to the airport and got one of the last flights out before it closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS