Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I am pondering the special sets of issues affecting identical twins, such as one of my boys has a best friend in day care, but she cannot tell if it's him or his brother and sometimes confuses them. I wonder how that affects you as a person growing up, being confused for somebody else, even by your best friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So our kid (6mo) is usually really happy and playful. Then a couple weeks ago he got a cold from daycare. We sent him a few days until we were told they aren't allowed to suck out his nose, only we could do it if we wanted to drive there twice an hour. That was a big deal since his nose was very runny and we/they couldn't use a paci because he couldn't breathe through his nose. Even bigger a deal because he started swallowing mucous and vomiting it out after almost every feeding, and was constantly hungry because we were feeding him less and more frequently to keep his tummy from getting really full. He seemed on the up and up this past weekend, and Sunday he was as happy and playful as he's ever been. Monday, his daycare called. They weren't going to send him home, but wanted to let us know he'd been screaming bloody murder since he'd been dropped off at 830, even after a bottle--and they were concerned because this is the exact opposite of how he usually acts there. We had opted out of sending him a couple days last week so are concerned that a few days away from daycare jarred his expectations, but he's home on the weekends and usually fine-ish. We've kept him home all this week so far other than the 2-3 hours he was at daycare Monday, and it's been kind of nightmare-ish. I have a flexible schedule, but my wife does not even though she works from home, and she can only really take time to feed him which she does while on calls. But overall it's been poo poo because he's been uncharacteristically angry 95% of the time; he's happy with literally almost nothing we do. He's always napped badly, but now he wakes up from a 30min nap rubbing his eyes as if he's still tired but won't let us put him back to sleep until he's overtired later on. He will start crying as soon as we even walk toward his bouncer, swing, or tummy time mat and cry the whole time in them or on them or with any of his other toys when he usually enjoys playing with them. And he's not even happy being held or walked around (he prefers being held while we are standing so he can look around) when he's usually demanding physical contact with either of us.

We're exhausted, we can't get work done for having to attend to him and hold him or walk him around at all times before he's even remotely happy. We love to hold him and give him attention, but can't do it 24/7, and at any rate when he's not even happy with that we aren't sure what to do for him that will make him happy. We think he might be happier at daycare with other babies, but are gun shy after Monday and loathe to have another screaming episode there--but it's wearing us down keeping him home every day and trying to work.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Have you taken him to the doctor? He could have an ear infection.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Alterian posted:

That was my first thought as well.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
This is an absurd question to come from a father of a 7mo, but is there a like... secret way to fastening diapers that I don't know about?

Little guy is ~18 pounds so he's well within the range of the size 3 diapers he wears, yet about 75% of the time he has a blowout. These aren't semi-cute "oh look my shirt is wet!" blowouts, we're talking poop all the way up his back. He also frequently pees through them

He's super active now with crawling and pulling himself up, and ever since introducing solids his poops have become much more 'adult like' in frequency and, uh, volume, so maybe that's why? But he gets frequent diaper changes and he's in good quality diapers from Costco.

I know poop is a big part of my life now but this seems extreme

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Get bigger diapers

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Alterian posted:

Ben Nevis posted:

That was my first thought as well.

Yes. When he threw up five times Saturday, the nurse said over the phone that our pediatrician instructed parents to go to urgent care after their infant throws up 4 or more times.

We took him and he threw up on me when I picked him up from the scale. Didn’t even occur to me to bring an extra T-shirt. Anyway, we saw the urgent care PA (this wasn’t the pediatrician’s office) who said he was totally fine, no ear infection or anything, he would just need to ride out the congestion and we were already doing everything we could to help him by sucking out his nose and putting him to sleep on a slight incline, humidifier, etc. He has since dried out in his sinuses and congestion is going or almost gone, no vomit last 48 hours.

But, it’s made me wonder because of how he’s acting. When I stand him up, which he usually likes, he leans his head to the left and lifts his left leg so I’m having to hold him in the air. I am wanting to maybe seek a second opinion from our own pediatrician, but every time we call the triage nurse they say it sounds normal, he’s a baby blah blah. Which it could just be normal and we are being the big babies about it, but it’s concerning because it’s like he’s a completely different baby than he was even a month ago.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

sullat posted:

Get bigger diapers

Definitely. Every blowout issue my kids had was solved by going up a size. Those weight ranges listed on the diaper aren't accurate

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Definitely. Every blowout issue my kids had was solved by going up a size. Those weight ranges listed on the diaper aren't accurate

Agreed, agreed, agreed. And feel free to try different brands/types of diapers because they all fit differently. It makes a bigger difference when they start motoring around, to make sure the fit stays snug.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

life is killing me posted:

But, it’s made me wonder because of how he’s acting. When I stand him up, which he usually likes, he leans his head to the left and lifts his left leg so I’m having to hold him in the air. I am wanting to maybe seek a second opinion from our own pediatrician, but every time we call the triage nurse they say it sounds normal, he’s a baby blah blah. Which it could just be normal and we are being the big babies about it, but it’s concerning because it’s like he’s a completely different baby than he was even a month ago.

If he's been sick for a week and constantly crying tell the triage nurse to gently caress off you are demanding a visit with your pediatrician.

If it's nothing, then it doesn't hurt anything and they get to bill for a visit. If it's something then everyone will be glad you went.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Pro Tip: When they get more moblie but also sleeping longer at night, get diapers for the daytime to deal with the mobility and the overnight diapers for sleep. They can really make a difference.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

If he's been sick for a week and constantly crying tell the triage nurse to gently caress off you are demanding a visit with your pediatrician.

If it's nothing, then it doesn't hurt anything and they get to bill for a visit. If it's something then everyone will be glad you went.

Well we could get him to the doc either way because the triage nurse is just there to phone on the weekends when the office is closed and tell us whether or not, in their opinion, we should go to urgent care or wait til the next week to see our own doc.

That’s how the urgent care visit went, it was nothing she said and now I wonder.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
It very easily could have been nothing then and now it’s something. Ear infections can come on incredibly quickly after a virus.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
So whats the longest yalls babies went without pooping? Right now my almost 2 month old is on day 6. I basically live in constant fear of the impending explosion and worry as each day passes without it.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

1up posted:

So whats the longest yalls babies went without pooping? Right now my almost 2 month old is on day 6. I basically live in constant fear of the impending explosion and worry as each day passes without it.

We had a one year old who went about a week, we got her on laxatives prescribed at that point. She was very angry and very constipated.

I’d imagine a 2 month old won’t have solid poops, but even still that’s not great? Are they still feeding as normal? Are you getting wet nappies? Longest I’ve had with a teeny baby is like a day or two at most.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

1up posted:

I think ours was a week, for our breastfed first baby. Our pediatrician barely batted an eye when we asked if it was normal. I guess if the baby isn't feeling discomfort all is well.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
Speak of the devil and it shall appear 💩💩💩

Allegedly breastfed babies can poo poo as little as every 7-10 days, one article even claimed 2 weeks, but it doesn't really help that feeling of oh no something ain't right here. I know intellectually that feeling is stupid and wrong since he pees fine, farts without issue, and when he does poop, it's the normal mustard sauce like before his shits slowed down. It was just surprising to go from 2x a day to once every 5-6 days so far.

His sister was the total opposite; she poo poo so much it was a constant battle to soothe her angry rear end in a top hat. Damned babies, can't just throw me a bone and be remotely similar.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, breastfed babies can go awhile without pooping. Our son’s pediatrician said it was because he’s using most of the milk he eats to grow and such, and that it’s completely normal for him to go days without pooping.

As such blowouts are a common thing with our six month old. Lots of OxyClean used in this house and baby’s laundry done every day.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Bile soap is a magical remedy for poop stains and such.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

First time parent here with a one-week-old son at home. He was 2 weeks early, and we think we’re slowly getting the hang of things..

1) feeding: my wife is pumping and tries to breastfeed, though he doesn’t really like breast feeding compared to the bottle. She’s trying to be more consistent with breast feeding instead of just grabbing the bottle when she’s frustrated. We’re feeding him every 3 hours usually 30-50 mL at a time, and we feed him for around 5-10 minutes. We sit him fairly upright and use the dr browns bottles, but he doesn’t really burp that often and he usually spits up a little bit of milk every time. Sometimes within 5 minutes of finishing and other times 20 minutes after. We try and hold him upright after feeding for 20-30 minutes so he spits up less. Anything else we can do here?

2) sleeping at night. We’re pretty sure he hates swaddling and being restricted. We’ve tried the halo swaddles and miracle blankets and he’s fine if we hold him, but he’s miserable when we lay him down in the bassinet. He’ll only sleep for 5-30 minutes swaddled before screaming bloody murder. Today we tried a sleep sack which was a bit looser and he seemed to tolerate that better since his arms were a bit freer, though still constricted. Any other tips? He definitely always rolls to his side regardless of what he’s wearing so we think he’s just gonna be a side sleeper.

3) our lack of schedule. She’s on paternity leave and I have night classes, but we’ve basically been taking shifts at night since he’s only slept with us holding him or him being in the rock and play downstairs with one of us. I might pass out at 9 pm, and she’s up with him until 11, she’ll wake me up and I feed/change him and watch him for a few hours while she sleeps. Then she gets up and pumps/feeds/changes him while I sleep a few more hours, rinse/repeat. There’s gotta be a better way. We’re walking around like zombies which is what everyone says is normal, but just looking for any other possible tips/suggestions.

4) his nails! He’s scratching himself up a lot and we have long sleeve onesies that he wears which cover up his hands and we also have gloves-but what to do about the nails? I’m terrified of using clippers and the nurses recommended filing them or just peeling them off after a bath. Suggestions?

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 4, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

1up posted:

3 days in our case. I'd recommend talking to your GP just in case. When it did come, it was not the entire body weight of the baby being emptied into her nappy in one go. Likely you'll have a few poop nappies in a row over a few hours.

nwin posted:

1) feeding:
Sounds like you're doing it right here. Maybe stop for 1 min breaks every 10ml or 3 min so allow things to settle. Aside from that, keep up with the pumping the extra milk to keep the supply up in case things change. Occasionally babies do eat asymetically to production. As for burping and spit ups, I'd chat with your GP about it since you're doing the right thing here.

nwin posted:

2) sleeping at night
Our kid did NOT want her arms in a swaddle, the moment she was out of that womb it was moro reflex whenever she felt like it and no swaddle would stop her. We just swaddled her body with the halo swaddles.

nwin posted:

3) our lack of schedule.
Here we kind of need to know what rooms you have available. Ideally Little One sleeps in your bedroom within 6ft of you (so they can smell your CO2 and sleep better we were told). We are in a 2br condo so the master bedroom was for the 3 of us at this age. I'd try to move the sleep contraption you described in there and dedicate it to sleep only. In our case we both woke for every wake up and both helped one and other. Once our one was changed etc and on the boob I'd go back to sleep since I couldn't be any more help (usually). This ended up being workable for us if we went to bed early (8:30 was fine). In your case the night classes complicate this a bit but I'd recommend all try to sleep in the same room as him from 9pm onwards. He'll move to his own room around 6mo.

I have a feeling I'm missing something about your situation though.

Also, take note of the point you think to yourself that you're not the only parents to feel tired with a kid without someone saying that overused phrase to you first. I literally caught myself reassuring myself with that one...

nwin posted:

4) his nails!
Time to brave up and use dedicated baby safety nail clippers. Watch a few videos on it first. We did exactly that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Heners_UK posted:

Here we kind of need to know what rooms you have available. Ideally Little One sleeps in your bedroom within 6ft of you (so they can smell your CO2 and sleep better we were told).

I have a feeling I'm missing something about your situation though.

Close to your setup. We have the master bedroom which is small and has a bassinet in it where he sleeps, and then a second bedroom we turned into his room with a crib and recliner, though we haven’t put him in there (crib)at all. Those rooms are upstairs. Downstairs is the living room with another bassinet and a rock and play where he spends the majority of the time unless we are trying to go to sleep at night.

We thought maybe he didn’t like one of the bassinets, so we tried swapping the upstairs/downstairs one, but that didn’t make a difference. We’d love to use the rock and play upstairs but the GP said not to use that for night time because SIDS. Also we have two cats and we worry about them jumping in there. They haven’t been too interested in him yet but it’s only been a week.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

For nails, we just bit them when they were sleeping.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

nwin posted:

First time parent here with a one-week-old son at home. He was 2 weeks early, and we think we’re slowly getting the hang of things..

3) our lack of schedule. She’s on paternity leave and I have night classes, but we’ve basically been taking shifts at night since he’s only slept with us holding him or him being in the rock and play downstairs with one of us. I might pass out at 9 pm, and she’s up with him until 11, she’ll wake me up and I feed/change him and watch him for a few hours while she sleeps. Then she gets up and pumps/feeds/changes him while I sleep a few more hours, rinse/repeat. There’s gotta be a better way. We’re walking around like zombies which is what everyone says is normal, but just looking for any other possible tips/suggestions.

4) his nails! He’s scratching himself up a lot and we have long sleeve onesies that he wears which cover up his hands and we also have gloves-but what to do about the nails? I’m terrified of using clippers and the nurses recommended filing them or just peeling them off after a bath. Suggestions?

3. The first month was very, very tough. Bottom line is that your baby is 1-week old so he needs to be fed every 2 hours (or whatever your Pediatrician says) since their stomachs are so tiny. That means you or your spouse will be up throughout the night. It sucks, but there is no way around it other than making sure that you sleep whenever the baby sleeps during the day, so that you are prepared to be up throughout the night. If you have family around, then maybe they can watch the baby during the day so that you can take naps to catch up on sleep. My daughter is now 7-months old and I can't remember the first month, it's now all a blur.

4. Our daughter was born with extremely sharp nails. Her face was all scratched up by the time we took her home from the hospital. You can put mittens or socks on his hands to keep him from scratching himself in his sleep. We just filed them while she napped with a FridaBaby nail file. Newborn's nails are soft that you don't really need to trim them if you have a good file. We started trimming them with a FridaBaby nail file when she was a little bit older.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

1) feeding: my wife is pumping and tries to breastfeed, though he doesn’t really like breast feeding compared to the bottle. She’s trying to be more consistent with breast feeding instead of just grabbing the bottle when she’s frustrated. We’re feeding him every 3 hours usually 30-50 mL at a time, and we feed him for around 5-10 minutes. We sit him fairly upright and use the dr browns bottles, but he doesn’t really burp that often and he usually spits up a little bit of milk every time. Sometimes within 5 minutes of finishing and other times 20 minutes after. We try and hold him upright after feeding for 20-30 minutes so he spits up less. Anything else we can do here?

2) sleeping at night. We’re pretty sure he hates swaddling and being restricted. We’ve tried the halo swaddles and miracle blankets and he’s fine if we hold him, but he’s miserable when we lay him down in the bassinet. He’ll only sleep for 5-30 minutes swaddled before screaming bloody murder. Today we tried a sleep sack which was a bit looser and he seemed to tolerate that better since his arms were a bit freer, though still constricted. Any other tips? He definitely always rolls to his side regardless of what he’s wearing so we think he’s just gonna be a side sleeper.

1. Our doc said, and so did the docs and nurses in the maternity ward, that our son shouldn’t have a bottle until 4 weeks. He needed to learn to breastfeed and get better at it, and introducing a bottle that early would make it so he wouldn’t want to breastfeed because he gets milk so much quicker from the bottle and would end up preferring the bottle. If your wife can, and wants to breastfeed then might help if she kept doing so before introducing bottles. I’m not a pediatrician so really you should do what they say or whatever works, but these things are what ours said. I mean if you want him to bottlefeed, which I know is common because sometimes Mom can’t produce milk or doesn’t want to nurse because it’s too painful for her or whatever...well, my wife nurses but now that we have ours in daycare she has to pump around the same times he would feed to keep up supply and because her breasts get too full. There’s also formula and nothing wrong with that either.

2. We heard a million different things from our nurses after our son was born. One even said he could be swaddled and laid on his side and every other nurse said not to put on his side. One other swaddled him with his arms out to self-soothe, which we later found out most newborns just aren’t capable of doing until much later. I’ve also learned over time from other parents and books that some babies just will hate the swaddle, all are different. It’s kind of trial and error. Swaddling up to 3.5 months for ours helped calm him down when there was nothing else that would work, and then we’d give him a pacifier and rock him, etc. Again, trial and error. But either way he’s gonna wake up a lot and he will probably be cluster feeding, which MIGHT explain the constant wake ups, so it might not even BE the swaddle he hates unless he does substantially better with the sleep sack.

3. My wife and I resigned ourselves to the fact there’d be little sleep and we’d be on our kid’s schedule. Not much scheduling you can do, and at his age he probably can’t adhere to any schedule you set anyway. All he knows is hunger and sleepiness right now. You can get more efficient at how y’all handle it, but basically you’re probably in for some hazy days. You’ll be surprised after a few days, though, how sleepy you don’t feel, you’ll adjust to it a bit. But take naps when you can. Basically, he will sleep on y’all during the day and in bassinet at night and wake up on his own only to feed and one of you will have to wake up with him. For us, there wasn’t much I could to in the middle of the night but stay half-awake to keep my wife awake while she nursed our son. I am probably not the only dad who felt completely useless during the first month to month and a half. Eventually we did an alternating schedule (still only benefited me more than her) where we’d change every other diaper, and having the first diaper change wake up was the worst one for either of us. During that time, one of us would go back to sleep while the other changed his diaper and put him back to bed. But, I’m not one to talk about schedule or sleep because ours is 6mo now and wakes up every hour and a half hungry as poo poo and screaming like he’s being dismembered. Cherish the days when he just eats and goes right back to sleep, because it ends and you’ll look back fondly on the newborn days if for no other reason than that. When his sleep cycle changes at ~4mo, it’s absolute hell.

4. We got safety nail clippers and like everyone else he scratched himself a lot so we used mittens at night and would otherwise clip/file while he slept on one of us.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

1. Our doc said, and so did the docs and nurses in the maternity ward, that our son shouldn’t have a bottle until 4 weeks. He needed to learn to breastfeed and get better at it, and introducing a bottle that early would make it so he wouldn’t want to breastfeed because he gets milk so much quicker from the bottle and would end up preferring the bottle. If your wife can, and wants to breastfeed then might help if she kept doing so before introducing bottles. I’m not a pediatrician so really you should do what they say or whatever works, but these things are what ours said. I mean if you want him to bottlefeed, which I know is common because sometimes Mom can’t produce milk or doesn’t want to nurse because it’s too painful for her or whatever...well, my wife nurses but now that we have ours in daycare she has to pump around the same times he would feed to keep up supply and because her breasts get too full. There’s also formula and nothing wrong with that either.

Yeah, our pediatrician said to get him the food however we can. He did leave the hospital weighing 5 pounds 10 ounces, so getting some weight on him was important. Both lactation consultants at the hospital said to not believe the hype about nipple confusion and feel free to use a bottle along with breastfeeding, so there definitely appears to be no standardization for this stuff. Her supply is more than keeping up with demand so that's good at least.

Last night was the worst night. Prior to bed, we put him in a sleep sack in the bassinet downstairs and the dude was out like a light for 1.5 hours, so we thought "This is it-we found something that works! We might actually each sleep in the same bed at the same time tonight!" Nope-We fed and changed him and then 30 minutes later tried putting him down and he lasted ~10 minutes. He was then up with one of us throughout the entire night and the only time he would stop was if we held him. There were some brief moments I was downstairs with him and had him in the bassinet downstairs and I got a 15 minute nap in before he started crying again, but those were few and far between. We're thinking he was cluster feeding, because he would take between 25-50 mL each time, but instead of lasting 3 hours like normal, we were feeding him every 1.5 hours at different times in the night. Just nothing at all would work-he wouldn't need changed, he wasn't cold, it had only been am hour + since feeding, but when we gave him the bottle he latched on for a bit and would take a power nap.

This morning he's back to being an angel, so who knows.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

nwin posted:

Yeah, our pediatrician said to get him the food however we can. He did leave the hospital weighing 5 pounds 10 ounces, so getting some weight on him was important. Both lactation consultants at the hospital said to not believe the hype about nipple confusion and feel free to use a bottle along with breastfeeding, so there definitely appears to be no standardization for this stuff. Her supply is more than keeping up with demand so that's good at least.

Last night was the worst night. Prior to bed, we put him in a sleep sack in the bassinet downstairs and the dude was out like a light for 1.5 hours, so we thought "This is it-we found something that works! We might actually each sleep in the same bed at the same time tonight!" Nope-We fed and changed him and then 30 minutes later tried putting him down and he lasted ~10 minutes. He was then up with one of us throughout the entire night and the only time he would stop was if we held him. There were some brief moments I was downstairs with him and had him in the bassinet downstairs and I got a 15 minute nap in before he started crying again, but those were few and far between. We're thinking he was cluster feeding, because he would take between 25-50 mL each time, but instead of lasting 3 hours like normal, we were feeding him every 1.5 hours at different times in the night. Just nothing at all would work-he wouldn't need changed, he wasn't cold, it had only been am hour + since feeding, but when we gave him the bottle he latched on for a bit and would take a power nap.

Our doctor showed us a technique with the bottle where you sort of hold it sideways, then gradually tilt it up a bit to let some milk flow, but not completely upside down. Basically make baby work for it a bit more like a nipple rather than just letting gravity dump it all down. Worked really well and cut down on gas, spit ups, and no problem switching between nipple and bottle. Also, make sure you have the smallest opening bottle nipple too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Douche4Sale posted:

Our doctor showed us a technique with the bottle where you sort of hold it sideways, then gradually tilt it up a bit to let some milk flow, but not completely upside down. Basically make baby work for it a bit more like a nipple rather than just letting gravity dump it all down. Worked really well and cut down on gas, spit ups, and no problem switching between nipple and bottle. Also, make sure you have the smallest opening bottle nipple too.

We have the smallest opening, but that technique might be worth checking out. So you hold a full bottle so the nipple is kinda point up instead of down like normal?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

nwin posted:

We have the smallest opening, but that technique might be worth checking out. So you hold a full bottle so the nipple is kinda point up instead of down like normal?

Yeah sort of. I'm bad at explaining things, but this video demonstrates it pretty well. We held our guy a little more at an angle, but otherwise that's how we did it. At any time, the bulb of the nipple should only be half full at most.

https://www.mamanatural.com/paced-bottle-feeding/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

No, there really isn’t any standardization, and it can be frustrating figuring out to whom you should listen about certain things. Although no one is infallible, your pediatrician is probably one with the most knowledge I’d guess. It sounds like since yours was 2 weeks early, that affected the method of feeding recommended; there really is no one way to do it. My BIL and SIL had to supplement breastmilk with formula for their son. My other BIL’s son was exclusively on formula by week 2 because his now ex-wife had no interest in breastfeeding and he was underweight because she thought rules against snacking applied to babies who simply need to eat when they need to eat—and it forced him to do all the feeding without breastmilk. They are both healthy kiddos now, first kid 1 and the other 2.

All that is to say, your doc is right, it doesn’t matter how he gets the milk or formula, as long as he gets it when he demands it.

Sleep is tough. Like I said, my son is doing what yours is doing—and he’s 6mo. We have no idea what to do as by all accounts he should be sleeping through the night or close to it so we must have failed along the way to sleep train him. But for yours it sounds normal and he is cluster feeding so not much sleep is in your near future. Is he co-sleeping with y’all in his bassinet? He might need to know y’all are there and yeah he can smell if you are or not. He can smell Mom’s milk too. Last night was my first overnight alone with my son while Mom went to a concert, which was literally her first night away from him and without the need to wake up six times to feed him. I fed him five bottles of breastmilk in the past 18 hours plus three bottles of formula because there was no breastmilk left. But while she can just throw him on her boob and be half-awake, I had to listen to him scream while I heated a bottle each time he woke, feed him, and then wake him back up as he fell asleep because if I didn’t burp him I knew he’d wake up in 30 minutes needing a burp—then it would take me 30 minutes to get him to sleep. So, I feel your pain with the lack of sleep.

Just curious—are y’all doing skin to skin contact? That was heavily recommended to us in his first couple months and when he was still a newborn he slept on us that way during the day. But, hospital pediatrician and nurses also said a lot of other things that seemed to be their opinion. They leave new parents to wing it when, just speaking for us, we were amazed that we were allowed to take him home and have carte blanche for parenting and no oversight. So if something works and it’s against the advice of a pediatrician or nurse, it still works because your kid is not the same as all the others.

In the end I’m just a dad with only 6 months more experience than you, which doesn’t say much other than I barely know what I’m doing each day. I win as long as I keep him alive and unhurt and happy.

I’m gonna stop rambling. Congrats on the new little one and good luck! It really is rewarding even when it’s tiring and frustrating.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah his bassinet is in our room but it’s at the foot of the bed-were going to try moving it next to mom tonight.

We’re doing skin to skin also with him and mom usually once a day for 60 minutes.

Glad to hear I’m not totally off base with my thinking. :rip: sleep I guess.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

nwin posted:

We’re doing skin to skin also with him and mom usually once a day for 60 minutes.

If you're not already you should also try skin to skin - it's just as effective for baby/dad bonding as it is for baby/mom, and in my opinion it's pretty much the greatest feeling in the world your kid zonks on your chest during a skin to skin session.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

butros posted:

If you're not already you should also try skin to skin - it's just as effective for baby/dad bonding as it is for baby/mom, and in my opinion it's pretty much the greatest feeling in the world your kid zonks on your chest during a skin to skin session.

Ah ok good to know-I did it once but didn’t realize it had any value like mom/baby.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Ah ok good to know-I did it once but didn’t realize it had any value like mom/baby.

Yeah they aren’t picky at that age. It just helps their body temperature regulate. I do remember around 2 months our son seemed to want Mom more and would cry every time I held him—as soon as I’d give him to Mom he’d calm down. I believe it was because he could smell her milk and he wanted to be close to her and it made him feel secure that he was near the milk. But now he doesn’t care as much, though he will snuggle more with Mom than with me. Overall he’s not as snuggly as he was, he wants to play.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My bub had issues latching at first and I used a syringe to feed in the early days. Eventually used nipple shields and was able to get her to latch.

I tried to wean her off in the early weeks several times but it was so stressful having the breast rejected and her screaming for milk, so I stuck with the shields and she gained weight steadily. Then one day at 4 months she was diving at the boob before I’d got the shield on, so I let her go for it, and she latched like she’d been doing it all along.

I also got given a bassinet which I felt obligated to use, but I hated it. It was a stand-alone bassinet that I couldn’t put next to the bed easily. I ended up buying a co-sleeper bassinet so I could sleep with my arm around her or give her a pat at night and it was so much better for my sleep.

It doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything wrong, but I personally didn’t want to bottle feed too early, not for nipple confusion problems, but for the difference in flow. Nipple shields helped me enormously.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I'm a huge fan of preemie nipples (don't quote this out of context) in terms of bottle feeding coexisting with breastfeeding. It's a very low flow and teaches the baby they still have to work for milk no matter the source

We eventually switched to 1's around 6 months

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone got experience with daylight savings time and the end thereof? This is our little guy’s first DST end and he’s losing his mind with tiredness currently, an hour early.

Anyone do anything different for this?

femcastra posted:

I personally didn’t want to bottle feed too early, not for nipple confusion problems, but for the difference in flow. Nipple shields helped me enormously.

Yeah this is what we were told—not because our kid would be confused but because he could get milk quicker from the bottle than from the breast, and would prefer the bottle if given the choice too early.

Although we gave him a bottle the day he was 4 weeks old because I wanted the bonding time with him and to be able to feed him.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

nwin posted:

Yeah his bassinet is in our room but it’s at the foot of the bed-were going to try moving it next to mom tonight.
Bing! Correct. Do this.

Also, try white noise if you haven't.

nwin posted:

Agreed with others that you, Dad, should also be doing Skin-to-Skin too. I had my shirt off in the damned operating theatre after the C-Section. You can easily wonder round your house with your shirt off.

Also, for both of you, you don't need to do a continuous set period of time skin to skin.

nwin posted:

Glad to hear I’m not totally off base with my thinking. :rip: sleep I guess.

Honestly this isn't that bad and changes every week. Heck for a lot of us it changed simultaneously last night! Sleep will stabilise and you have permission to do what you need to and to try different approaches until one works. I'm being literal when I say you can drag yourself through broken sleep weeks. Hell I'm going to bed earlier than when I was a 10 year old at the moment so I get enough hours in.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Anyone got experience with daylight savings time and the end thereof? This is our little guy’s first DST end and he’s losing his mind with tiredness currently, an hour early.

Anyone do anything different for this?

This will only help for next time, but for the 4 days prior to the change, we push bedtimes back in 15 minute increments.

So our son goes to bed at 6:45 and daughter at 7:45. 4 days before, it becomes 7 and 8; 3 days before it becomes 7:15 and 8:15; etc. That slowly gets them used to the hour difference and has them on the new schedule once DST ends.

We'll do the same thing in reverse when DST starts up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So a few things:

1) he's not sleeping at night. We think it's due to either:
a) Maybe he has acid reflux
b) maybe his days/nights are mixed up

2) Problems with changing and him peeing all over the place

We've been using the Dr. Browns bottles with the "1" nipples. After reading some suggestions about how he might be taking in the milk too fast, I found out that they make Preemie nipples, so he's been on those for the last two days.

Little guy still isn't sleeping well in the bassinet at all. He's 11 days old now and we're thinking he might have acid reflux-we have an appointment with the pediatrician tomorrow and will check with her. He also only sleeps on his side. Anytime we lay him down in the bassinet or crib, he just automatically rolls to one side or the other and stays there.

Another possibility is having days/nights mixed up.

The night before last he was completely happy during the day and sleeping away just fine in his rock n play or when we held him. I put him in the bassinet downstairs and he slept peacefully for about 1.5 hours at one point. At night we tried putting him in the bassinet upstairs and he lasted anywhere from 5-30 minutes before he was gurgling/crying/shifting around a bunch. We ended up taking shifts downstairs in the rock and play and holding him through the night.

Yesterday during the day-totally fine. Did just about the same schedule: he was fine in the rock n play and about an hour in the bassinet, but when I went to class, my wife said she tried to lay him down an hour after feeding and he started spitting up a lot of the breast milk. When I got home at 10pm he was pretty fussy and so I fed him again and held him for about an hour, and then put him in the rock n play and he was fine. I tried the bassinet once (at least 30 minutes after I had fed him, more like an hour I would bet), but he started squirming around a bunch and looking/sounding like he was going to spit up some more.

Now it's the morning and I had him in the rock n play for a bit, but he's currently in the bassinet doing fine. He's made a few noises but nothing bad. He also ate about an hour ago and he's not spitting up at all. I think it's weird because if it was reflux, why isn't he doing it anytime we lay him down in the bassinet?

Both bassinets are the travel kind, so the mattresses are the foldable type and they have a netting underneath them for support. I say that because I've read that we can put books underneath the mattress to provide an angle. We have one in the downstairs and it kinda works, but the upstairs one doesn't work because the book just weighs down the mesh, so it doesn't make any kind of difference. Maybe the netting is stronger in the one downstairs-I dunno.

As for the days/nights thing, not sure what to do if that's the case. I've read to keep him up (so he sleeps during the night due to being tired) or not keep him up (he's so young that he needs all the sleep he can get). I don't think I should be striving to keep a newborn awake, honestly. If I see him in the rock n play too much during the day snoozing away, I'll usually pick him up and hold him for a bit when he is awake after a diaper change, but the little guy seems to be way more interested in sleeping than just staring at me while he poops.

Also trying to think of better ways to change him. He's peed on himself and us a few times now. We're putting a washcloth over him while we change him and that at least catches the pee if he lets it go, but not sure if there's any better ways. The peepee teepees don't seem like they would work well, but maybe I'm wrong.

nwin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 7, 2018