Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It makes me happy that Sakurai probably added Guile as an assist cause he is his SF main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm trying to beat the radiance on hollowknight and I want to kill myself, please help

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm trying to beat the radiance on hollowknight and I want to kill myself, please help

Just dont. Why are you wasting your time on an hour long bossrush in a game where combat is moderately more engaging than Joust?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

Just dont. Why are you wasting your time on an hour long bossrush in a game where combat is moderately more engaging than Joust?

Two bosses is a boss rush these days?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Andrast posted:

Two bosses is a boss rush these days?

Sorry, thinking of Absolute Radiance from Godmaster

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Skeletons are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhhRcE9wjk

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Finally beat it after a solid hour trying. Hollowknight is the best game I've played in years.

So was radiance what made all the bugs sentient?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Nov 5, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Finally beat it after a solid hour trying. Hollowknight is the best game I've played in years.

So was radiance what made all the bugs sentient?

no, radiance is what made all the sentient bugs crazy

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

It makes me happy that Sakurai probably added Guile as an assist cause he is his SF main.

I never knew until recently Sakurai was really good at SF2 and fighting games in general. Apparently in a column he wrote he told Melee players "just play a real fighting game like Virtua Fighter 2" lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I never knew until recently Sakurai was really good at SF2 and fighting games in general. Apparently in a column he wrote he told Melee players "just play a real fighting game like Virtua Fighter 2" lol

Minor sidenote, but I love that they specifically made it so Ryu can be controlled with optional quarter-circle Street Fighter 2 inputs :allears:.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

i think "legend"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You probably shouldn't feel too happy for Salurai because...

https://twitter.com/rr_gale/status/1058633923738193920

Yeah, this is pretty :yikes:. What the gently caress is wrong with the people at Nintendo!? Like there was a later version of the game being referenced that replaced the enemies with generic bandits, so there's absolutely no excuse here!

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 5, 2018

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They're Japanese and don't realize it's considered offensive? It might get changed with a patch cause I think it's too late in the cycle to do anything now.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I somehow didn't expect those replies :stare:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lodin posted:

They're Japanese and don't realize it's considered offensive?

Yeah probably

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lodin posted:

They're Japanese and don't realize it's considered offensive? It might get changed with a patch cause I think it's too late in the cycle to do anything now.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Like there was a later version of the game being referenced that replaced the enemies with generic bandits, so there's absolutely no excuse here!

Also this wasn't this first time this sort of poo poo has happened either. I don't think ignorance works as an excuse here.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Wait, so is the content in Smash racist, or is it just a reference to an old game that incidentally also had racist content?

Because I mean poo poo you can't reference Bugs Bunny if that's your standard.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also this wasn't this first time this sort of poo poo has happened either. I don't think ignorance works as an excuse here.

More of an explanation than an excuse.

Obviously they should more aware of this stuff by now.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Imagined posted:

Wait, so is the content in Smash racist, or is it just a reference to an old game that incidentally also had racist content?

Because I mean poo poo you can't reference Bugs Bunny if that's your standard.

Do you really need someone else to tell you if "angry native American with feather and loincloth" might be bad?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Japanese culture has a large tendency to copy imagery from American media without the cultural context necessary to understand why certain imagery is now considered offensive. Unlike Americans, who have that cultural context but are merely too lazy and entitled to give a poo poo.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's no loincloth :eyepop:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m boycotting this game!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Likely outside of the context in which the original led "sprite" appeared, people in QA or localization didn't realize what they were looking at and their number one question was "Why is MGAW hanging dong?"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Augus posted:

Japanese culture has a large tendency to copy imagery from American media without the cultural context necessary to understand why certain imagery is now considered offensive.
They also took Wizardry seriously.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Fetus posted:

You probably shouldn't feel too happy for Salurai because...

https://twitter.com/rr_gale/status/1058633923738193920

Yeah, this is pretty :yikes:. What the gently caress is wrong with the people at Nintendo!? Like there was a later version of the game being referenced that replaced the enemies with generic bandits, so there's absolutely no excuse here!

Wait wait wait they took the previous move (which was just G&W with a torch) and added a feather and loincloth?

The gently caress were they thinking?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Licarn posted:

I somehow didn't expect those replies :stare:

Big surprise that video game fans on twitter are idiots.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How many people have been banned from the resetera thread so far

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Al Borland Corpse posted:

How many people have been banned from the resetera thread so far

Not enough probably.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They have itchy trigger fingers over there. I get the impulse to just throw the banhammer when someone says something stupid but I think they should at least get something explained to them first and then see if they are still idiots or repeated idiots in multiple topics before flipping the switch

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
This whole thing feels really attention grabby to me. Like this is the hill you want to die on? THIS is what draws the line?
That said. 100% white male here. So I can only speak for myself because I obviously lack the necessary perspective. And if this is bothering people. Just change it. It seriously cannot take much effort to get rid of a feather. Especially since this is Game&Watch.

It's a bit of a catch 22 though.
Change it now and you'll have an equally loud group of people yelling about censorship. So a dumb 2 frame animation will land Nintendo in hot water regardless of the outcome. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Change it, but have a 1 in 65535 chance of showing the feather version.

Do we know what time November's batch of NES games are going to drop, or is it just "some time in November"?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's a really easy change cause you just have to change the meshes on the animation, and the E3 build was using the Smash 4 mesh anyway

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The bottom line is that someone in the American division of Nintendo should have said nope and explained why it's not ok.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shine posted:

Diablo 3 is the sort of game my wife and I will excitedly binge on for like two weeks, then completely lose interest, then 4-5 months later one of us will say "hey, we haven't played Diablo in a while!" and binge for another two weeks. Having a couch co-op version sounds really nice, so we'll probably get it on Switch when the cycle repeats itself.

That’s exactly what season journeys are for.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Do we know what time November's batch of NES games are going to drop, or is it just "some time in November"?
Going to assume on the 10th, like last month.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

It's a bit of a catch 22 though.
Change it now and you'll have an equally loud group of people yelling about censorship. So a dumb 2 frame animation will land Nintendo in hot water regardless of the outcome. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.
This is not a catch 22. If it's not changed, Native Americans and people who sympathize with them will be upset at the insensitive depiction in the Ultimate welcoming happy fun time game. If it's changed, racists and ignorant people will be angry for dumb reasons and that is fine, if not actually a good thing because the ignorant folks might learn something in the end and the racists are terrible and deserve to be unhappy.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 5, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lodin posted:

The bottom line is that someone in the American division of Nintendo should have said nope and explained why it's not ok.

Maybe people in the American division did see it but they are all super loving racist so they let it through.

Kinda makes you think about the operation Nintendo is really running over there.

:thunk:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This is not a catch 22. If it's not changed, Native Americans and people who sympathize with them will be upset at the insensitive depiction in the Ultimate welcoming happy fun time game. If it's changed, racists and ignorant people will be angry for dumb reasons and that is fine, if not actually a good thing because the latter might learn something in the end and the former are terrible and deserve to be unhappy.

I had to read this a few times before I understood you weren't saying that last part about native americans and their sympathizers

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

I had to read this a few times before I understood you weren't saying that last part about native americans and their sympathizers
Yikes. Edited for clarity, thanks for pointing that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone post the BB Labo deal yet?

W/ GCU it's 2 of the main 3 kits for $80.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12199417-nintendo-labo-kits-2-for-99-gcu-member-2-for-79?src=frontpage

Pretty pretty pretty good.