Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, they're not planted in the corners. The property lines and fences are square though, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You'd think they'd offset the rows by a half-field length to let them fit tighter.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MikeJF posted:

You'd think they'd offset the rows by a half-field length to let them fit tighter.

Would make the roads a pain in the rear end, and the places where this sort of farming/irrigation is used aren't really starved for space.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I played some more today and had a go at doing one of those new fangled videomajigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYiE2f2e5zU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

serious gaylord posted:

I played some more today and had a go at doing one of those new fangled videomajigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYiE2f2e5zU

a) This is a beautifully detailed little euro town and I love it.

b) Pardon the stupid question, but how do you capture the video stream from this game? Is it via Steam or a secondary app? I have a hilarious tsunami setup that I'd like to share but I have no idea how to get the video captured.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Albino Squirrel posted:

a) This is a beautifully detailed little euro town and I love it.

b) Pardon the stupid question, but how do you capture the video stream from this game? Is it via Steam or a secondary app? I have a hilarious tsunami setup that I'd like to share but I have no idea how to get the video captured.

I use the cinematic camera mod and OBS to record. I have to set the cinematic camera to run at like 5fps and speed the video clips up in my video editor to get any sort of smooth gameplay in the more detailed parts of the city.

Speaking of said city, it was drasticly low on industy, so I spent the day giving it some.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I once spotted the village where I live from a plane on my way home, and this looks eerily similar, so good job on that:)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

My newbie city had a horrible old fashioned interchange where my 6 lane feeder road crossed a highway where it curved (the highway), so I built the ugliest interchange with flyover ramps (and a tunnel) ever imagined by mankind. Shortly thereafter I realized that the 6 lane feeder was horribly inadequate for the traffic so I had to make it a single direction with another 6 lane going in the opposite direction, which I then connected up to my ugly interchange.

Surprisingly, it works quite well, even if it is visible from space and ugly.

I went through my entire city and turned off every single traffic light, and now traffic flows much better pretty much everywhere... doesn't seem right.. haha..

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I hope that Cities Skylines 2 (if they ever make it) will deal with the stupidity of traffic flowing much better without traffic lights. It feels really exploitative.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Or they'll explicitly acknowledge it as a feature using some handwavey bullshit about 'it's the future so they're self-driving cars!' :nallears:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

It'd be funny if they added wrecks to the game so that when cars approached traffic light-less intersection they all just crashed into each other. Probably slow the game down to glacier speed but it'd still be amusing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, driving without traffic lights is similar to just having hyper-efficient traffic lights that let people through with just enough time to get through without being hit.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Major noobs posting in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yITr127KZtQ

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I said crashes, not traffic. The cars are not crashing into each other and causing car accidents where people get out of their cars and scream at each other. That's what I'm looking for :getin:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mayveena posted:

I said crashes, not traffic. The cars are not crashing into each other and causing car accidents where people get out of their cars and scream at each other. That's what I'm looking for :getin:

Yessssssss, and make it so that there is a 'risk aversion' factor for drivers like how TMPE has a factor for cims ignoring traffic rules. I want to watch some sovcitizen assbag plow through an intersection and cause a 15-car pileup because traffic lights are an admiralty court. It would at least make the lovely traffic situation at high industrial levels more believable.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I just want them to make roundabouts a road type so they work properly. Failing that, some sort of mod that auto-bulldozes the home of whoever stops on roundabouts to let traffic enter :argh:

...or make bad karma an actual thing, and auto-generate a lightning storm above their house. I am an angry God-mayor, turning all who fail to follow the rules of the road into pillars of salt

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

spincube posted:

I just want them to make roundabouts a road type so they work properly. Failing that, some sort of mod that auto-bulldozes the home of whoever stops on roundabouts to let traffic enter :argh:

...or make bad karma an actual thing, and auto-generate a lightning storm above their house. I am an angry God-mayor, turning all who fail to follow the rules of the road into pillars of salt

You can make functional roundabouts with TM:PE's lane editing. That editor honestly the most useful feature in the entire mod.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The one issue I have with this is that it assumes the interchange is operating in a vacuum.

While the big problem with lit junctions in CS is that they can easily cause traffic to back up into several other junctions during the stop period and that can jam up the entire network.

spincube posted:

I mean, people do stop IRL to let people out when they shouldn't so I can't fault them for realism :v:

I've nearly gone up the arse of a few people who stopped in the middle of moving traffic to let someone out of a junction.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

True warrior poets know that road network design is more important than intersection design.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

You can make functional roundabouts with TM:PE's lane editing. That editor honestly the most useful feature in the entire mod.

What's TM:PE?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I agree but when you do just have a junction you want to optimize you don't necessarily have an infinite expanse of platonic ideal highway attached to all the exits and that does inform how you build them.

The Locator posted:

What's TM:PE?

Traffic Manager: President Edition.

Basically vital for any sort of proper traffic balancing unless all your junctions are experiencing uniform traffic flow from all sides.

On the subject of industry I've found that industries will use all forms of cargo transport to move things between all stages of production if you let them.

For example the oil field in the bottom left ships crude to the terminal at the right, which then trucks it over to the refinery, the refinery then trucks the secondary goods over to the factory in the middle, which then trucks the finished goods to the cargo train, which then trains them over to the port and onto a boat which then boats them upriver to the city to sell.

My only complaint is that trains/boats don't hold very much stuff, so my rail lines are clogged and the river looks stupid.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 5, 2018

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Having to play through SimCity 2013 for my child's school project brought up all sorts of bad memories and really makes me appreciate how much better Cities: Skylines is - even without any mods. Today I'm showing them the joy when you're buying resources and the agents (still!) get lost and your city tanks because of it.

I DO REGRET THIS STILL!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Junctionnnnn

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Junctionnnnn

There's something immensely satisfying about this picture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's pleasingly angular and it works better than the previous attempt that fed into either end of the overpass. Created lots of clutter. The crossroads in the middle is a bit tidier though I'm not sure about throughput, hoping it should be better as it has more lead up roads.

I really wish you could just... widen a crossroads and toggle sliproads on and off. They're really awkward to try and put in manually.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 6, 2018

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

spincube posted:

Bad drivers delenda est.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stacckkkkkkkk

I really want to put a turbine in somewhere but I don't think I had space, only just fit this drat thing in.

Also feels weird using it as basically a double offramp but eh, big industry going in in the forested side and the main CBD likely in the city side so it'll get used.

I also have to say that move it is the best loving tool, I couldn't have built that thing without it, it lets you drag the curve spline and then adjust the heights afterwards which is a loving godsend.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 6, 2018

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Oh man, I forgot about that Move It mod. Even had it installed but not enabled since the last time I poured time into this game.

So finally having used it: :ck5:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How are you supposed to connect up the multiplatform stations tidily?

I like using them but I don't know how I'm supposed to connect them.

I got to, well, here basically and I just dunno. Ideally I would like to connect every platform to the mainline both ways, with the station being its own offshoot so it keeps the bulk of the congestion off the main line, but I'm at a loss how to do this without paving over half the city in railtracks.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

OwlFancier posted:

I got to, well, here basically and I just dunno. Ideally I would like to connect every platform to the mainline both ways, with the station being its own offshoot so it keeps the bulk of the congestion off the main line, but I'm at a loss how to do this without paving over half the city in railtracks.

Take a look at real train stations. What you're trying to do it pretty weird irl and would normally take up a ton of space. Looks like you're trying to apply transport tycoon logic to skylines.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well it's also that the rails glitch out a lot if I try to connect them realistically, as in nearly parallel with smooth curves.

If I could actually do smooth connections I'd have less issue but the game really doesn't like connecting lots of rails together like that.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I don’t see how smooth connections comes in to it. Try experimenting on paper with how you’d get each of the 12 rail lines from the station to intersect with each of the 4 rail lines in the trunk in a perfect world. It’s a tall order.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not asking how to technically connect them I'm asking how you make one that looks OK while taking into account the weird scale and sharp junction graphical limitations of skylines.

Anyway I think I've bodged something together that doesn't look terrible.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

OwlFancier posted:

Use a station with through tracks instead of a terminal like you have, and put it to the side of the main line, with its tracks parallel to the main line. You'll just need an offshoot from the main line on each end. It might take more space but there's no way you're going to get a station that big looking good without taking up a decent amount of room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't super want an inline station because that means I have to run a shitload of lines out of either end.

Fairly OK with this setup though I want more railyard poo poo to fill the gaps betweeen the tracks:

Right side's gonna lead to the dockyard at some point too.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Trying to comprehend the signalling required for that design is doing my head in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well obviously you give way to the right when you enter the roundabout. And it's polite to signal left when you're going to leave it.

Trains have indicators I'm sure.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 7, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

I don't super want an inline station because that means I have to run a shitload of lines out of either end.

Fairly OK with this setup though I want more railyard poo poo to fill the gaps betweeen the tracks:

This kills the train.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uh, no, it makes the train go round in pretty circles.

I don't want no boring poo poo where the drat train only goes in and out on one track, I laid many tracks and you'll bloody well use as many of them as possible.

Look I had a train set as a kid and I once made it go all the way from the living room to my upstairs bedroom I think I know how to do trains.

The only town near me I could think of with a big train station was newcastle and that has two rail bridges that go like 100ft in the air over a river at different points in order to make a big train roundabout that goes through half the town but only has one station on it afaict.

So don't you go complaining about my nice train roundabout.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I like it. But why isn't the platforms to the lower left connected left on the upper track? Both connections near the top are facing right.