Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Beat the odds and somehow got a shiny Plusle instead of Pinsir, why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Got em.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

My Go+ has a better catch rate for shiny's than I do for non-community day Pokemon.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So with yesterday’s Gengars, I should keep Lick and swap Psychic for Shadow Ball, correct?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Does shiny gengar look just like regular gengar?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Heffer posted:

It’s very similar. But when we get his Mega Evolution... :getin:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ballz posted:

So with yesterday’s Gengars, I should keep Lick and swap Psychic for Shadow Ball, correct?

That is correct.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Does pinsir evolve into anything or do I have a ton of candies for nothing?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Woodchip posted:

Does pinsir evolve into anything or do I have a ton of candies for nothing?

Mega Pinsir

In 3-4 years.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Heffer posted:

Basically.

If we get mega evolutions though he's gonna be sweet.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Okay so what does mega evolution gengar look like?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Heffer posted:

Okay so what does mega evolution gengar look like?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

E: eh, double post that could've been one, but there's shiny and non

Heffer
May 1, 2003

what the gently caress

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
7th stop in a row today. Got a berry, 2 balls and 7 gifts but no upgrade item. Is it not guaranteed anymore? stuck on last part of celebi line.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Gengar rules. Mega Gengar is even more ridiculous. :getin:

For those who don't follow the main Pokemon games, there was a unique ability called Shadow Tag that Wobbuffet got that prevented opposing Pokemon from switching out. Wob was pretty much a brick wall with Counter so you could swap him in and trap something that couldn't hurt Wobbuffet for a guaranteed kill. It was so powerful the Smogon nerds threw a temper tantrum and banned him outright.

Then Mega Gengar got Shadow Tag.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Didn't manage to get a Pinsir, but somehow found an unown in the wild, which seems even more rare.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How long are pinsirs going to hand around for? There are still a ton around.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Lmao Pidgeys and Caterpies are basically nonexistent this month in Chicago, even before the Pinsir infestation. Great work, Niantic.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yay got a shiny Pinsir finally

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

BGrifter posted:

Wob was pretty much a brick wall with Counter so you could swap him in and trap something that couldn't hurt Wobbuffet for a guaranteed kill.

Counter is a move that waits for the opponent to attack first and then deals double the damage back, for anyone (myself included) who forgot moves actually do things in the main games other than being mashed.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Willsun posted:

Counter is a move that waits for the opponent to attack first and then deals double the damage back, for anyone (myself included) who forgot moves actually do things in the main games other than being mashed.

Makes sense as wobbuffet looks like it'd bounce back and headbutt you if you punched it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mustached Demon posted:

Makes sense as wobbuffet looks like it'd bounce back and headbutt you if you punched it.

That's basically what it is. It's one of those weighted dolls you punch and it comes back up. It has no actual regular attacking moves, only Counter and its special move equivalent Mirror Coat, as well as stuff like Destiny Bond and Encore. Encore means it can force the enemy to use the same move over and over again, meaning it can reliably pick whether to use Counter or Mirror Coat. The Shadow Tag ability stops the enemy from being able to foil this by switching out. Destiny Bond makes the enemy faint as well if it causes the user to faint in that turn. Again, Shadow Tag means you can't switch out to avoid that. The combination of its moveset and ability means it was placed in the same "BANNED FOREVER TOO OP" tier along with powerful legendaries and poo poo. It's a punching bag/Weebl who forces you to punch him until he dies and takes you with him.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

That's basically what it is. It's one of those weighted dolls you punch and it comes back up. It has no actual regular attacking moves, only Counter and its special move equivalent Mirror Coat, as well as stuff like Destiny Bond and Encore. Encore means it can force the enemy to use the same move over and over again, meaning it can reliably pick whether to use Counter or Mirror Coat. The Shadow Tag ability stops the enemy from being able to foil this by switching out. Destiny Bond makes the enemy faint as well if it causes the user to faint in that turn. Again, Shadow Tag means you can't switch out to avoid that. The combination of its moveset and ability means it was placed in the same "BANNED FOREVER TOO OP" tier along with powerful legendaries and poo poo. It's a punching bag/Weebl who forces you to punch him until he dies and takes you with him.

Wasn’t the main problem with Wobbuffett that if you ever fought a mirror match you had to spend ages using up all of your non-attack moves just to use struggle, making it a fun killing slog?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Gann Jerrod posted:

Wasn’t the main problem with Wobbuffett that if you ever fought a mirror match you had to spend ages using up all of your non-attack moves just to use struggle, making it a fun killing slog?

That was also one of the fun possibilities with Wobs. Struggle does more damage now iirc but "two Wobuffets and they both have leftovers" before that change used to be a great way to get yourself trapped in a literal unending, unwinnable battle.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Adventure sync gives you a fairly ridiculous amount of poke balls as a reward for 25km, which is pretty doable.

That, combined with friends, might make the game somewhat playable in an area with few stops/gyms. Assuming at least some pokemon spawn there, you can catch them and trade them with your friends and send gifts from the town's only pokestop to each other.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
My nephew stopped playing the game a year ago because he was always out of poke balls. Straight up deleted the game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Smalltime goals, but I finally got my Gold Bug Badge today, meaning I have everything but Dragon complete!

Dragon is at 15/50 Bronze. :negative:

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I've caught 29,887 pokemon and am still at 197/200 dragons. missing dratini community day didnt help

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Dratini community day and the alolan exeggutor event are what got me my medal.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I think I finished my dragon badge on the Lati@s raids but yeah again, 80% of the catches were from Dratini community day (and this very rare Dratini nest I got to visit once in the first two months of the game before they were removed permanently). It really is the only somewhat normal way for people to get gold because there's hardly any viable biomes that spawns more Dratini/Bagon, and windy is just a very unpredictable weather condition that usually gets overshadowed by other weather conditions irl.

Even if you get windy, the mobs and mobs of common flying and psychic types drown out everything and you're still just as unlikely to see any dragon types.

If you missed Dratini day you missed out on the only chance to get gold dragon badge. Or else raid like crazy on dragon legendaries.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I am at 397/397 in my dex and still only 108/200 on my dragon badge. Only at 37/100 on raids, too!

Edit: what is the max dex number right now?

Sanford fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Nov 5, 2018

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

We could hope that the next community day after Cyndaquil will be Bagons, but good luck with that. Also it means everyone's going to have mences with their community day move (probably dragon claw) clogging up gyms afterwards.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

That was also one of the fun possibilities with Wobs. Struggle does more damage now iirc but "two Wobuffets and they both have leftovers" before that change used to be a great way to get yourself trapped in a literal unending, unwinnable battle.

According to Bulbapedia two Wobs could only have an infinite standoff with each other until G3, because from G4 onwards any Pokemon with Shadow Tag would be unaffected by another Pokemon's Shadow Tag. Meaning you can't Shadow Tag a Wob (unless that Wob has the not nearly as cheesy hidden ability of Telepathy). In G4 Wob was definitely still banned from competitive play with Smogon rules so "INFINITE WOB ON WOB" definitely wasn't the only reason it was banned.

Also, today I got my Shedinja. I tried him out in a gym to see if he is as useless as the prophecies foretold and he died in like two seconds to a neon green Espeon. It's okay stupid ghost bug, I still love you and I will stare at your death hole any time you want.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sanford posted:

I am at 397/397 in my dex and still only 108/200 on my dragon badge. Only at 37/100 on raids, too!

Edit: what is the max dex number right now?

I'm at 401 in Dex seen and haven't seen at least 9 that I've seen as friend's buddies so it's minimum 410

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So is there some magic to make adventure sync work? My Gear Fit tracks my walking distance during work. At the end of the day I sync that data to Google Fit. I have adventure sync activated in PoGo but it's not scraping the data from Google Fit.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm so happy, I finally found one after 900 Karps.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Untrustable posted:

So is there some magic to make adventure sync work? My Gear Fit tracks my walking distance during work. At the end of the day I sync that data to Google Fit. I have adventure sync activated in PoGo but it's not scraping the data from Google Fit.

This might not work for you due to how the data is synced into Fit:

https://thesilphroad.com/news/adventure-sync-breakdown-summary/

quote:

The current consensus is that ALL 3rd party fitness trackers will NOT credit distance towards weekly goals UNLESS they have native support for HealthKit or Google Fit (in essence, only the Apple Watch). All 3rd party apps that rely on an intermediary ‘sync/import’ app are counted as “manual input” data, which could be easily falsified and appears to be disallowed by Pokémon GO. Claims of various 3rd party peripherals or ‘sync’ apps earning in-game distance credit are believed to be mis-attributing distance awarded from the prior week before the feature launch. They should not see distance credited in-game moving forward if the Pokémon GO app is COMPLETELY closed.

So right now the only guaranteed way to get Adventure Sync to do its thing is to have your phone in your pocket with the screen off and tracking your steps. Or have a wearable device with native health app support.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yep so basically I'm going to ignore the feature until Mi Bands are supported and anything I get is an unexpected bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

According to Bulbapedia two Wobs could only have an infinite standoff with each other until G3, because from G4 onwards any Pokemon with Shadow Tag would be unaffected by another Pokemon's Shadow Tag. Meaning you can't Shadow Tag a Wob (unless that Wob has the not nearly as cheesy hidden ability of Telepathy). In G4 Wob was definitely still banned from competitive play with Smogon rules so "INFINITE WOB ON WOB" definitely wasn't the only reason it was banned.

The other reason if I remember correctly is because G4 was slow enough where you could get away with swapping wob into something and if you encored a non-attacking move, it was a free switch into a setup sweeper and the setup sweepers in that gen were pretty deadly.