Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Although, funny enough, Mantracker is a Canadian show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I just found that out haha.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
mood music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqn9fXzYWoo

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is a great TV scene, not film, but it’s sooooo good
https://youtu.be/te_U-Ukz1vY

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Great scenes featuring generals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X66Cp4-1p_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QwHF7Pu5k

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

If we include television, then "Three Men and Adena" from Homicide: Life on the Street counts as perfect.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

If we include television, then "Three Men and Adena" from Homicide: Life on the Street counts as perfect.

Good God, absolutely. Just an amazing 40-some minutes of acting from three powerhouses. It's basically a televised stage play.

I have always loved that Homicide never solved the Adena Watson case.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, there's "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" from Miami Vice.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

Good God, absolutely. Just an amazing 40-some minutes of acting from three powerhouses.

I have always loved that Homicide never solved the Adena Watson case.

It's maybe the best non-resolution ever. Like, just the detectives switching their notions is more than enough. Such a great episode of TV.

It's wild that you have that back-and-forth patter between Pemberton and Bayliss, maybe the epitome of interrogation scenes, and Moses Gunn still steals the whole thing out from under them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If I had to pick one short film I'd consider perfect and possibly the best of all time I'd probably go with Duck Amuck

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

axelblaze posted:

If I had to pick one short film I'd consider perfect and possibly the best of all time I'd probably go with Duck Amuck

Not The Procedure?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LesterGroans posted:

MY DOGG!!!!

Homicide: Life on the Streets is a great show throughout but man, did it peak early.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

MY DOGG!!!!

Homicide: Life on the Streets is a great show throughout but man, did it peak early.

Even though the final season is really rough ("OMG who will go with whom to the policeman's ball" bullshit, yikes), it's still better than pretty much every drama that was on TV at that time.

And the movie is great.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lurdiak posted:

MY DOGG!!!!

I mostly remember Reed Diamond drama for the last few years, but good God, we had a series starring Yaphet Kotto, Melissa Leo and Andre Braugher and it barely gets an "also ran" level of respect. For shame.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The movie utterly redeems the weaknesses of the last 2 seasons for me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Lurdiak posted:

The movie utterly redeems the weaknesses of the last 2 seasons for me.

Timby posted:

And the movie is great.

Yeah, the movie is great. It makes some amends to Jon Polito, which is always good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

Not The Procedure?

That's perfect in it's way but it's pretty much a perfect execution of a simple absurd idea while Duck Amuck is a perfect implementation of dozens of complex absurd ideas.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also I really need to watch Homicide again. I haven't watched it since it aired and I only recall small bits and pieces. The first episode I watched was the one where Pembleton had a stroke and that left a hell of an impression on me

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axelblaze posted:

Also I really need to watch Homicide again. I haven't watched it since it aired and I only recall small bits and pieces. The first episode I watched was the one where Pembleton had a stroke and that left a hell of an impression on me

The first three seasons (outside of the Robin Williams episode in S2) are pretty much unimpeachable television. Beyond Three Men and Adena, Night of the Dead Living is great and its final scene is used in the last shot of the movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

gently caress, I just remembered one of my favourite episodes is Vincent D'Onofrio stuck under a subway car, and I think that was a mid or late series episode. That one's so good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

gently caress, I just remembered one of my favourite episodes is Vincent D'Onofrio stuck under a subway car, and I think that was a mid or late series episode. That one's so good.

Subway is kind of halfway through the sixth season, yeah. It's another great hour of TV, because both D'Onofrio and Braugher bring their A-game. When Homicide did those "small cast, one set" stage play shows, it was impeccable. Although I wonder how much of a pain in the rear end it was for the MTA.

The City that Bleeds is also great, even though it revisits the "main characters get shot" trope. Belzer kills it in the third season, both during that arc and afterwards.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

Subway is kind of halfway through the sixth season, yeah. It's another great hour of TV, because both D'Onofrio and Braugher bring their A-game. When Homicide did those "small cast, one set" stage play shows, it was impeccable. Although I wonder how much of a pain in the rear end it was for the MTA.

The City that Bleeds is also great, even though it revisits the "main characters get shot" trope. Belzer kills it in the third season, both during that arc and afterwards.

I happened to catch Munch's last episode of SVU on TV and there was a flashback to Homicide and it was surprisingly touching,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

I happened to catch Munch's last episode of SVU on TV and there was a flashback to Homicide and it was surprisingly touching,

Belzer is happy smoking weed and drinking wine in France.

Good for him.

Edit: Although the way SVU basically turned him into a background character, then gradually wrote him off, was bullshit. I did appreciate the uncredited Lewis cameo in his roast, though.

Timby fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 5, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anyone feels like becoming infuriated today, check out the Movie Details subreddit where morons pat themselves on the back for noticing the most basic of details about films and misread the meaning and intention of scenes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timby posted:

The first three seasons (outside of the Robin Williams episode in S2) are pretty much unimpeachable television. Beyond Three Men and Adena, Night of the Dead Living is great and its final scene is used in the last shot of the movie.

I actually really liked the Robin Williams episode.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

If anyone feels like becoming infuriated today, check out the Movie Details subreddit where morons pat themselves on the back for noticing the most basic of details about films and misread the meaning and intention of scenes.

Eh, seems pretty harmless, especially as far as subreddits go

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

I actually really liked the Robin Williams episode.

I understand what it was going for but it was really fist-handed in its writing and execution. I've been casually re-watching Homicide as of late and it sticks out as a kind of "stunt" episode (understandable, since they were always on the brink of cancellation).

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Did you ever watch Last Train to Freo?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axelblaze posted:

Eh, seems pretty harmless, especially as far as subreddits go

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'm not sure if that is backing up or contradicting my post

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Okay this made me laugh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
were we talking about perfect short films?
https://twitter.com/jkusunoki/status/1059223762434973697

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was not expecting this direction for Poppy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQsxWKfTSU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Skwirl posted:

were we talking about perfect short films?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just can't
https://twitter.com/chaeronaea/status/1059158291048251392

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Perfect short film? That's easy, The Book of Life. Not an instant wasted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd like to add, completely without irony, Resident Evil Extinction (the second one) to my list of perfect movies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

I'd like to add, completely without irony, Resident Evil Extinction (the second one) to my list of perfect movies

What's your area code? Because I'm calling the police on you for a mental health check.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

precision posted:

It felt like a very accurate metaphor for George Bush's America at the time it came out, but now we live in an even worse version of hellworld, so it seems quaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

What's your area code? Because I'm calling the police on you for a mental health check.

Why would you want him dead? It seems a little harsh.