Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1059435094421712896

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I remember reading that Arthur C Clarke story where one side loses the war they were previously winning because they keep putting untested weapons into full production, and I always thought nobody was that stupid.

Oops.

That story is cool. I forget what it was called though, but it was told from the point of view of a surrendered high-ranking officer from the side that was winning until they started putting in more untested half-assed improvements.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

lmao

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1059438494362296320

lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

but it's government grade fippis four ten

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

crucial really dropped the ball there, surprised at how well the evos held up given they're by far the more popular brand. comparison with regular and pro would be interesting, and more recent versions/brands in-use

only real issue i have is that these aren't exactly sold as secure solutions and this relies on bitlocker ignorance by the people using it (so a 1:1 overlap on a venn diagram)

e: worth reading the replies by one of the authors of the paper https://twitter.com/bvgastel/with_replies

Meliarion
Feb 28, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

That story is cool. I forget what it was called though, but it was told from the point of view of a surrendered high-ranking officer from the side that was winning until they started putting in more untested half-assed improvements.

Superiority by Arthur C Clarke?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

crucial really dropped the ball there, surprised at how well the evos held up given they're by far the more popular brand. comparison with regular and pro would be interesting, and more recent versions/brands in-use

whenever anyone mentions them i still hear "I'd love to have the SAMSUNG SDD 840 EVO" in my head

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i was expecting the crucial variety of issues to be more widespread, but they didn't exactly have a lot of devices to mess with

if more detailed research happens in the future i'd be surprised if crucial were the exception

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I'll keep using veracrypt tyvm

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Meliarion posted:

Yeah, that's the one.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Security; Actually The Antithesis.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh hey, whattya know ssds are actually poo poo garbage for gently caress idiots, who could've seen that coming?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

trusting oems to do things correctly remains microsofts #1 folly

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this is some powerful styming, welcome back anime dog tits

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Meliarion posted:

thanks, enjoyed re-reading this

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hackbunny posted:

I'll keep using veracrypt tyvm

:yossame:

and/or encrypted lvm

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Stymie posted:

oh hey, whattya know ssds are actually poo poo garbage for gently caress idiots, who could've seen that coming?

you're right you should be running a self-encrypting HDD that will surely avoid this issue

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
just go back to using IDE drives and shuffle the data lines around. no problemo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

so what the gently caress was MS thinking letting the drives handle the key management instead of leaving that to the TPM and just releasing the key to the drive at boot so it could accelerate the AES instructions. You can still gently caress that up too, but the scope is much smaller and easier to validate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Meliarion posted:

:yeah:

Here is a link with the story for those interested:
http://www.mayofamily.com/RLM/txt_Clarke_Superiority.html

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

so what the gently caress was MS thinking letting the drives handle the key management instead of leaving that to the TPM and just releasing the key to the drive at boot so it could accelerate the AES instructions. You can still gently caress that up too, but the scope is much smaller and easier to validate.

it sounds like that's what they're doing, the problem is the drive accepts any key to decrypt

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

No, it accepts any password, not any key. That's not how AES works.

The key _should_ be derived from the password but apparently it's simply stored somewhere on the SSD unencrypted and the drive only does a very simple password check.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

it sounds like that's what they're doing, the problem is the drive accepts any key to decrypt

my read was that once bitlocker saw the drive supporting hardware encryption they just turned it over to that entirely

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just got an email from these guys... without further comment:
https://www.agilepq.com/solutions/solutions

quote:

OLD PARADIGM ( 1998-2015 )
Memory is expensive and computing devices did not have constrained resources​
Use memory sparingly
Use wired computing power
Calculate matrix algebra to encrypt/decrypt data​
Classic encryption​ is CPU intensive to encode (14 processes),
decode (14 processes) and utilizes 100 algorithms requiring 3MB of storage

NEW PARADIGM ( 2015 - PRESENT )
Memory is cheap and IoT endpoints have constrained resources
Use more memory for algorithmic instruction implemented in C-code
(trades use of CPU cycles for use of RAM)​
Obfuscation beyond classic encryption​
CPU light to encode (1 process), decode (1 process) and utilizes 2 algorithms
with only 2.4KB​
Battery powered – limited / finite energy source​
Use linear computation of key space
Relies on algorithmic instructions implemented in C-code as opposed to
mathematical equations
Fast, energy efficient and agile​
Facilitates one-way-functions​

wow, C code instead of mathematical equations!

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

my read was that once bitlocker saw the drive supporting hardware encryption they just turned it over to that entirely
which is interesting, since I had to put my samsung into a special mode and then manually secure erase it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

just got an email from these guys... without further comment:
https://www.agilepq.com/solutions/solutions

wow, C code instead of mathematical equations!

back in the old days computers were vast and infinite because memory was expensive, these days memory is cheap so you don't get any of it ever

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ssds are gimmick devices that prosumers gobble up in droves because they've been told that they're faster without actual direct knowledge of their performance vs. a good quality hdd

when actually used for functions more intensive than just browsing facebook and checking email in a $2000 custom rig, surprise surprise they're terrible and unreliable

the tip-off should be that they're all peddled by fly-by-night garbage vendors like ocz and crucial

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hahahahahah

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Stymie posted:

ssds are gimmick devices that prosumers gobble up in droves because they've been told that they're faster without actual direct knowledge of their performance vs. a good quality hdd

when actually used for functions more intensive than just browsing facebook and checking email in a $2000 custom rig, surprise surprise they're terrible and unreliable

the tip-off should be that they're all peddled by fly-by-night garbage vendors like ocz and crucial

I guess you've never played video games from an SSD my friend

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

I guess you've never seen Stymie post in YOSPOS my friend

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stymie posted:

this is the a+ stymie content you leave him off ignore to read

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chalks posted:

and god willing i never shall

i just hope they keep making high quality hdds until the ssd market implodes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

jesus, I didn't even consider the likely outcome of "platter enthusiasts" the same as vinyl records

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jesus, I didn't even consider the likely outcome of "platter enthusiasts" the same as vinyl records

this is a poor analogy because with vinyl, the difference in quality is largely a matter of taste and nostalgia vs. other forms of media that offer more convenience or modern advancements in sound fidelity

it's not that hdds : vinyl :: ssds : mp3s, it's more like hdds : vinyl :: ssds : listening to a dog's rear end while it shits right into your ear

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

this is the a+ stymie content you leave him off ignore to read
anyone responding to it earnestly should be punished

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol if you ignore anyone on this forum

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

and god willing i never shall

i just hope they keep making high quality hdds until the ssd market implodes

God help me, I know im reply to Stymie, but can't you conceive of workloads where random access performance is more important than sequential access? Like no matter how fast HDDs get they can't compete on that metric vs ssds.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

anyone responding to it earnestly should be punished

Please chastise me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005