Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Uh, who the hell wants the English dub, ugh. Real waifus speak Japanese with subtitles.

Splicer posted:

A tier III building costs 300 for 4 vs 350 for 4 + a 20% bonus. A tier 4 is 420 (nice) resources for 5 + no bonus. But we're talking about whether it's worth building on tile resources. So our booster buildings are actually 4 + at least 1 from the tile, so 5 total. Same as a different t4 that overwrites the resources, and it cost you 70 less minerals. So even as raw resource producers they, at a minimum, match overwriting a tile, and when you take into account that the mineral processor boosts your slave plant and the nexus comes with unity it's a clear winner.

Even planet modifiers don't impact placement much. A t4 + 1 is 6 resources, so a +20% planet modifier is only keeping pace with what the tile would get you. When you take into account how modifiers are additive 6*(1+0.x) is actually better than 5*(1.2+0.x). You have to hit the +50% mods before ignoring resources starts being worth it.

There's very very rarely a numerical efficiency benefit to ignoring tile resources. What it does give you is operational efficiency since you can manage pops on a per planet rather than a per tile basis and pop management is tedious as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

e: beaten by your later post on the last bit

Determined to prove my point, while in work today I ran a few tests along these lines to see what sort of difference is made (it was a ridiculously quiet day), and it seemed like under ideal conditions a whole planet strategy gets about 90% return compared to a mixed planet strategy and only gets worse if you assume the mixed planet strategy does smart things like fill blank slots with mines on mineral bonus worlds. The only time a single planet strategy hits parity is when dealing with low resource worlds (e.g. the blank worlds from horizon signal, or after biological ascension if the mixed strategy doesn’t go 100% in the micro with resettlement.

In short, I was totally wrong last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Reveilled posted:

Uh, who the hell wants the English dub, ugh. Real waifus speak Japanese with subtitles.

Here you are, friend https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=699768748

edit: apparently this is the updated version https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=825050563

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

In short, I was totally wrong last night.

Look at this guy, gathering evidence and then changing his mind. You don't belong on the internet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What I still can't figure out about 2.2 is how we'll be doing science planets. Before you could cover an entire planet with nothing but labs, but now it seems there's no science related districts, only buildings. So you'll end up building a bunch of farms and mines and things to employ and house people and then spend your very precious building slots on labs instead of holo-theatres or whatever else your planet might need.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

lol if you use any advisor mod other than the Waluigi advisor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

What I still can't figure out about 2.2 is how we'll be doing science planets. Before you could cover an entire planet with nothing but labs, but now it seems there's no science related districts, only buildings. So you'll end up building a bunch of farms and mines and things to employ and house people and then spend your very precious building slots on labs instead of holo-theatres or whatever else your planet might need.

Can you build duplicate buildings? Cos if not I would assume you'd hit the cap on science output fairly quickly and the main determinor is how many city worlds you have.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Have there been any reveals of mechanics where you get direct benefits or direct penalties based on your total pops?

turol
Jul 31, 2017

Epicurius posted:

Beyond the ability to play as machine empires and a new machine fallen empire? It adds a new event chain for empires that have synths, allowing robot rebellions.

Yeah, about that... I was in the middle of The War In Heaven as the Non-Aligned League, having already defeated one of them when that event popped up on one of the other members. One of my fleets was in their space on their way to the front and got into a fight with a machine fleet. With power ~900 but thousands and thousands of ships. So many ships in fact that their side of the combat window was empty. I quit and reloaded to see if it would fix it and now the save is corrupt. It will load but the game will get soft-locked and the top bar won't show up.

No revert possibility since I was achievement hunting (the aforementioned WIH) and now I have to do it all over again.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Dropped back into vanilla and ironman for a bit to hammer out a few achievements. Wound up getting the fully-built ringworld achievement a few years before the one for being at peace for 200 years. A quick calculation says it might have been more economical to just build habitats around all the planets in my ringworld system (7 habitats for 70k gives 105 tiles versus 110k for the ringworld's 100), but looking at the numbers on my ringworld it feels like the ringworld is more productive. Unity production is definitely lower, but I no longer need unity.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Ringworlds are really only there to be less of a ui nightmare to use than habitats - and also look a hell of a lot cooler. So it's a toss up.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 5, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well they're also about twice as efficient in terms of cost increases, each planet you own increases your costs for everything and a habitat only has 12 tiles by default, a ringworld has 25.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Splicer posted:

Have there been any reveals of mechanics where you get direct benefits or direct penalties based on your total pops?

Initially they were going to have mechanics like a research lab gave you 5 researcher jobs plus an extra job per 10 pops or what ever. But they found that system confusing for players so got rid of it and it's just pops = unlock building slots now.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I think you mostly just build houses and such to increase pop for a big research planet if I understand it right? If you want to prioritize science you would mostly just want city districts and slam out those sci buildings.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

lol if you use any advisor mod other than the Waluigi advisor.

Darkest Dungeon announcer. :colbert:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I think you mostly just build houses and such to increase pop for a big research planet if I understand it right? If you want to prioritize science you would mostly just want city districts and slam out those sci buildings.

Yeah if you want more science you need more building slots. More building slots means more pops. More pops need more housing and the best source of housing is city districts.
Assuming science buildings are upgradeable, that's another option - but considering last we saw them in action the building upgrades took rare resources upfront and as upkeep, you're making a big commitment by choosing to upgrade your labs over something else.

Of course with all these policies it's entirely possible there's a bunch of ways to get extra science with trade-offs in other areas with policy options.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Maybe station labs will finally get a buff to non-garbage status and useful to subsidize science gain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah if you want more science you need more building slots. More building slots means more pops. More pops need more housing and the best source of housing is city districts.
Assuming science buildings are upgradeable, that's another option - but considering last we saw them in action the building upgrades took rare resources upfront and as upkeep, you're making a big commitment by choosing to upgrade your labs over something else.

Of course with all these policies it's entirely possible there's a bunch of ways to get extra science with trade-offs in other areas with policy options.
Wiz's big thing about forced Synth upgrades is that he doesn't want there to be one right answer, which in an optional upgrade situation would presumably be filling your poo poo jobs with robots and only putting synths in good jobs. But what if robots and droids don't give you any of the good pop benefits? They already won't be generating trade, but if they also didn't count toward building unlocks there'd be a very strong incentive to replace them with synths or biopops. Your FALGSC empire is a happy utopia and all, but the "Jam the mines full of miserable Synths" empire next door is substantially outproducing you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rynoto posted:

Maybe station labs will finally get a buff to non-garbage status and useful to subsidize science gain.

in one of the preview streams i definitely remember seeing technologies that will upgrade station output so they don't fade away in importance as you get further into a game

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's worth noting that habitats also had the option for research districts, which as far as I've seen is unique to them (city worlds don't). That might be an interesting unique role for habitats if they're a way to go relatively all in on science.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Right, time to have another go at the game instead of talking about it :v:

Much as I want to do the Rogue Servitor thing I think I should try familiarizing myself with the game first rather than bog myself down in too many divergent mechanics, so I'll go with the bog standard UNE unless anyone has other ideas

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
You do a bog standard Commonwealth of Man.

It's a lot more direct. I found it easier to play and understand when I was starting out.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I actually learned a ton on my short lived commonwealth game. I especially learned about how wars are fought and why it's important to secure borders, and not to overextend. And also keep your naval capacity up

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Commonwealth it is, then.

When should I let my science ships research these anomalies instead of getting on with surveyal?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ciaphas posted:

When should I let my science ships research these anomalies instead of getting on with surveyal?

When they'll finish in a reasonable amount of time. It's based on level difference.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ciaphas posted:

I usually base it on how soon I'll be claiming more systems. If I already have a buffer of surveyed systems around my empire, then I'll analyze pretty much everything, whereas if I'm waiting on a survey before claiming, or trying to snake out and claim a chokepoint, I'll usually put off analyzing even if it's 80 days or less.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ciaphas posted:

Fast researching ones I'll queue at the end of the system survey, as that allows my constructor ships to start building while I'm researching anomalies. Once my science ships are ahead of my constructors I'll research those as they pop up.

Level 6+ anomalies get delayed, as those are always going to end up taking a good chunk of time, and more levels or traits help shave off a lot of time. Once I'm consolidating systems I'll look at those, or if I've got the spare resources for another science ship I'll build one to go start working on those. It is a good idea to not put them off too terribly long, as they tend to be what you need for your precursor event chain, and get you some decent science for your troubles. Finishing the event chain unlocks a new system that should be connected to your borders (if not, you probably haven't been expanding at a proper speed) that usually has +10 minerals/energy/science, along with enough unity for an unlock and some other resources.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ciaphas posted:

No, take Map the Stars for increased Anomaly Discovery, along with opening the Discovery tree, and survey as much as possible. Research once they're inside your borders.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

No, take Map the Stars for increased Anomaly Discovery, along with opening the Discovery tree, and survey as much as possible. Research once they're inside your borders.

Technically correct if you're trying to maximize your map the stars effect, but you lose a lot of time travelling back for those, and trading some edict time for earlier resources is a pretty good deal most of the time. If you're worried about maximizing your edict you should focus on getting a second ship out asap more-so than delaying low level anomalies.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Sometimes you do get unlucky with the Precursor system spawns though. My most recent game I started literally next to a Materialist FE (as in one of the hyperlanes from my home system connected to one of their systems) which cut off an area for me and the Vultaum system happened to spawn connected to a star there. It was close to my home system in terms of distance but quite far away in terms of hyperspace lanes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have no freaking idea what I should be spending influence on so I haven't touched edicts this time.

Also it's been thirty years, where is everyone else :psyduck:

(edit) how is that literally all i accomplished in like 3 hours

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

q!=e

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I have no freaking idea what I should be spending influence on so I haven't touched edicts this time.

Also it's been thirty years, where is everyone else :psyduck:

(edit) how is that literally all i accomplished in like 3 hours

With the way your economy starts out, you can usually afford to spend your starting influence on one use of 'map the stars' edict, which gives a bonus to survey speed and anomaly discovery chance. If you're planning on opening the discovery tree, wait the initial 8-12 months to do that first and then start it.

Your build-up seems pretty solid so far. Since you haven't run into any enemies yet you could have held off on expanding your fleet as much and gotten a third set of science+constructor ships. Ideally your expansion rate ends up limited by your influence, and once you start running into other people and can't expand into their systems you'll use the influence on edicts (peace time) or on making claims on their systems (pre-paring for war). As you get more tech you'll get options to boost energy and mineral production empire wide, which can be a decent spot to throw some influence. Some govt types have additional edict options.

One thing to check out is your factions (f7 by default). If you hover over the dots on the left side you'll get more info about how to make that faction happy, and being happy raises the base happiness of any pops in that faction, and gives you influence based on how happy they are and what percentage of your population are in that faction.

edit: one thing you can try to do to secure more space is to snake a bit more with your early grabs. So shoot through a cluster to get the exit, then backfill later.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 6, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ZypherIM posted:

With the way your economy starts out, you can usually afford to spend your starting influence on one use of 'map the stars' edict, which gives a bonus to survey speed and anomaly discovery chance. If you're planning on opening the discovery tree, wait the initial 8-12 months to do that first and then start it.

Your build-up seems pretty solid so far. Since you haven't run into any enemies yet you could have held off on expanding your fleet as much and gotten a third set of science+constructor ships. Ideally your expansion rate ends up limited by your influence, and once you start running into other people and can't expand into their systems you'll use the influence on edicts (peace time) or on making claims on their systems (pre-paring for war). As you get more tech you'll get options to boost energy and mineral production empire wide, which can be a decent spot to throw some influence. Some govt types have additional edict options.

One thing to check out is your factions (f7 by default). If you hover over the dots on the left side you'll get more info about how to make that faction happy, and being happy raises the base happiness of any pops in that faction, and gives you influence based on how happy they are and what percentage of your population are in that faction.

edit: one thing you can try to do to secure more space is to snake a bit more with your early grabs. So shoot through a cluster to get the exit, then backfill later.

yeah both factions are telling me, poetically enough, to go kill and or subjugate the hell out of other nerds that don't appear to them to even exist yet (adopt Supremacy and stuff like that)

so just like real politics, it's dumb as poo poo :v:

(edit) And re: the fleet, I overexpanded because of a severe pirate problem (the normal start one but he was like 550 strength :psyduck:), thinking I could just mothball half the fleet, but I can't see a way to do that besides discard the ships outright

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Black Pants posted:

Just place them on their own planet. You don't need a mix of robots and biotrophies on each planet you own, you just need a ratio of robot to bio pops across the entire empire. So colonise somewhere they can live comfortably, relocate them over there, and then start work using your +200% habitability on the robots to fill up planets with production.

Nah start with them spread out. Think about it like building robots on a new planet. You want to be able to grow them in parralel once you get habs. Sort of the same way you can resettle to fill up a new planet and then build robots in parralel on the rest of your planets.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

(edit) And re: the fleet, I overexpanded because of a severe pirate problem (the normal start one but he was like 550 strength :psyduck:), thinking I could just mothball half the fleet, but I can't see a way to do that besides discard the ships outright

iirc fleets automatically have reduced maintenance while they're chilling in orbit around their home starbase (and there are starbase upgrades that can reduce maintenance further), that's the closest you get to mothballing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also refit the fleet to have minimal components which will significantly reduce their upkeep, but refitting them to full readiness will take a long time as well as cost a lot of money so it's unlikely to be worth doing.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

There is an admiral trait that reduces upkeep, and I'm pretty sure that it has a higher chance of being gained than other traits. In the prosperity tree there is a pick that reduces ship upkeep across the board, and there are some techs related to upkeep/upgrade cost I believe.

Don't worry about building too many ships really, a 20-corvette fleet is pretty standard early. Then if you want to actually fight someone you can build some anchorages (or get the first +20 fleet cap tech) to field a second fleet and/or build a bigger fleet as your cap goes up from ship size techs (there are cap increases in green research as well).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ZypherIM posted:

Technically correct if you're trying to maximize your map the stars effect, but you lose a lot of time travelling back for those, and trading some edict time for earlier resources is a pretty good deal most of the time. If you're worried about maximizing your edict you should focus on getting a second ship out asap more-so than delaying low level anomalies.

Oh yeah, also build like 5 science ships, so you know which systems you need to get to ASAP.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah i guess i just assumed mothballing for storage/reduced maintenance costs would be an option in a game as expansive as this seems to be. seems a strange omission :shrug:

But yeah I'll burn some excess materials on at least two more science ships and get out there finding some sapients tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ciaphas posted:

yeah i guess i just assumed mothballing for storage/reduced maintenance costs would be an option in a game as expansive as this seems to be. seems a strange omission :shrug:

But yeah I'll burn some excess materials on at least two more science ships and get out there finding some sapients tomorrow

I've only ever had luck with mothballing my fleets when I played a Fanatic Pacifist game where I had a bazillion fully-upgraded bastions that could hold off an enemy fleet for the in-game year it took to un-mothball the fleets.