Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Congratulations Ofaloaf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Wiz getting hired turned the original CK2+ into base features of CK2, so with Ofaloaf's hiring I'm looking forward to CK3 being set in post-post-apocalyptic America.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Consolations (phone autocorrected to this twice so it stays) Ofaloaf!

I'm trying to remember who's starting next month... I think you might do some work on Stellaris! Maybe?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Ofaloaf, when you get to Paradox HQ, can you please go to the Stellaris desk and ask that they make the background noise that plays during a crisis be controlled by the "ambient volume" slider instead of the effect volume slider, given that's it's an ambient effect please thanks

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
it's handled like a sound effect in code ok :mad:

but you're right :mad:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

There was more than one freelance hire at the same time, I think, so the Stellaris hire might be someone else. I'm theoretically hired for EU4, but every document I've seen so far has a big honkin' "OR YOU MIGHT END UP ASSIGNED TO WHATEVER IF NEED BE" caveat.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

There was more than one freelance hire at the same time, I think, so the Stellaris hire might be someone else. I'm theoretically hired for EU4, but every document I've seen so far has a big honkin' "OR YOU MIGHT END UP ASSIGNED TO WHATEVER IF NEED BE" caveat.

please fix the bug where your colonial nation refuses to use their colonist to do anything but endlessly improve their capital and the only way to get your colonial nation to colonize is to subsidize it so much that it will go over the colonist limit and have another colonist colonizing while the first one toils away in the capital

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

LordMune posted:

it's handled like a sound effect in code ok :mad:

but you're right :mad:

thank you the validation is all I really needed

jk, all I really need is 2.2

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Gratz Ofaloaf

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Congrats Ofaloaf! :3:

You stopped working on After the End a little while ago, right?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm theoretically hired for EU4, but every document I've seen so far has a big honkin' "OR YOU MIGHT END UP ASSIGNED TO WHATEVER IF NEED BE" caveat.

congratulations on getting to work on victoria 3

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Enjoy posted:

Who would want to be a project manager though, that job looks awful

Game design, now that's a discipline that has some weak links...

HEY

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

What people think game design is: "I'm more of an ideas guy, but have we thought about making an economy simulator set in the 19th century? It would have to simulate the economy and population and how they interact."

What game design actually is: *stares at spreadsheets all day* "hm, maybe I should tweak this value by 0.1?"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
whatever you want to say about johan's dev diaries for imperator, they do give you a good idea of what he spends his time thinking about

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ArchangeI posted:

What people think game design is: "I'm more of an ideas guy, but have we thought about making an economy simulator set in the 19th century? It would have to simulate the economy and population and how they interact."

What game design actually is: *stares at spreadsheets all day* "hm, maybe I should tweak this value by 0.1?"

I honestly can't imagine playing a GSG without also being the kind of person who thinks that making spreadsheets is fun, so I'd expect the same for designing them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I honestly can't imagine playing a GSG without also being the kind of person who thinks that making spreadsheets is fun, so I'd expect the same for designing them.
I wish they'd hire more mediavalists/anthropologists with an appreciation for soap operas and other poo poo like that myself, though mostly just for CK2, because while they're getting there, they aren't quite in the drama I think would be great for that game

Like, the set-ups happen already: I find out my wife has been seduced by my breton chancellor who's a syphilitic dwarf; but my options are always the same. There's no way to have his daughter kidnapped in revenge and sold into slavery or anything more elaborate and the game mechanics themselves punish me for having him gelded, i.e there's a lack of execution.

Like, I know Paradox feels that such things are adequately addressed via mods but especially now with Holy Fury I'm seeing things that people have always told me ~just mod it~ to get happening there so who knows? I'd love a Paradox Pak solely about drama between characters: cheating, friendships, things related to focuses, family and whatnot on the par of Way of Life. So when I find out that the masked man who has been organizing outlaws on the edges of my lands is actually my long-lost twin brother and my moral opposite has gathered discontent lords to challenge my rights to my titles, I can duel him to the death on an open field or have him seduced by a femme fatale that poisons him

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The game "mechanically punishes"you because of course if you have a fun time hacking people to bits for no reason but personal beef people will hate you. I don't think the game needs more elaborate sadist options, they already have enough, although maybe putting in events where you have no choice but to be a sadist if you've got bad traits might make sense.

Monks and Mystics was largely about allowing you to live a civilian life if the whole ruling business isn't going too well, Holy Fury is adding events about how you're a ruler and establishing your legitimacy is a big deal with coronations, crowns, and province decay, or even that you're part of the landed warrior class and have to constantly train for combat like with warrior lodges.

Also now you can be fat or skinny.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

The game "mechanically punishes"you because of course if you have a fun time hacking people to bits for no reason but personal beef people will hate you. I don't think the game needs more elaborate sadist options, they already have enough, although maybe putting in events where you have no choice but to be a sadist if you've got bad traits might make sense.
I dont interpret what Deceitful Penguin is asking for as "more sadist options". I think its more of a "more interesting/in depth/colorful" options. Not " 'I caught my Steward embezzling', select option A, B, or C" rather " 'I caught my Steward embezzling via filching a horse from the stables every time he rides to port to collect the harbor fees', select option A "Fire him and repossess the horses", B "Fine him and make him ride a straw horse for the next month", C "have a horse ride him down to the harbor", or D "something related to either one of his traits or one of yours" ". But then there would be another, completely different, set of options if the embezzling reprisal if he was fudging the books or letting his friends dock in port for free.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 4, 2018

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/1059061322644680706
Intrigued by Phoenician sailors leading directly to Hetairoi.

Also Amphipolis is the only name on that map where the phi has been transcribed as an f rather than as ph, game is ruined.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I can't wait to Embrace Large Burly Men.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Monks and Mystics was largely about allowing you to live a civilian life if the whole ruling business isn't going too well, Holy Fury is adding events about how you're a ruler and establishing your legitimacy is a big deal with coronations, crowns, and province decay, or even that you're part of the landed warrior class and have to constantly train for combat like with warrior lodges.

I thought M&M was about more supernatural conspiracies, which is why I skipped it. Am I wrong?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Happy to say that yet another goon starts working with Paradox next month.

omg yes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

I thought M&M was about more supernatural conspiracies, which is why I skipped it. Am I wrong?

You're half wrong. M&M introduces the societies. The monastic orders give you something to do during peacetime, generally lead to your char replacing sins with virtues, and give you a toggle to embrace or renounce celibacy (after you get promoted once). The Hermetics are not exactly supernatural, it's just a tad bit unrealistic for a 9th century person to invent a personal hand gun (would make sense if this were gated behind the game reaching a certain year). There's nothing supernatural here.

Assassins are a really cool feature for Shiites, it's a welcome way to keep up in the overwhelmingly Sunni world. There's nothing supernatural here, either.

Satanists are the "offenders", if you don't like this sort of thing. Personally, I like occasionally joining them, if my char has the right traits. But it's very powerful and can get a bit tiring after a while. The important thing for you is that you can use a game rule to disable satanists when you start a new game, so you can play with or without this feature while still retaining the other societies.

I really like M&M for all the things you can do while being at peace, it definitely livens up the game. More events are always good, so this is a recommended DLC in my opinion.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well yeah, if you didn't want to go be a scholar or a monk, you can also run a secret cult, with either a normal heresy/religion or worshipping satan to bring about the antichrist. There's also treasures, commanding allies, and a fourth action for every councilor to persecute members of secret cults, train commanders, and reduce infamy.

It's not the best DLC, but it does give you things to do beyond seeking territory.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well yeah, if you didn't want to go be a scholar or a monk, you can also run a secret cult, with either a normal heresy/religion or worshipping satan to bring about the antichrist. There's also treasures, commanding allies, and a fourth action for every councilor to persecute members of secret cults, train commanders, and reduce infamy.

It's not the best DLC, but it does give you things to do beyond seeking territory.

I'm pretty sure secret cults are part of the M&M free patch? But yes, commanding allies is nifty, and the fourth councilor jobs are nice, too.

Monks and Mystics is no Way of Life, but still enjoyable. Just not a priority if you are relatively new to the game. It's fine to wait for a sale here. But there's a lot more to it than just satanists, it shouldn't be ignored just because one has an aversion to the supernatural stuff.

Do you need M&M for the new warrior lodges in Holy Fury? Probably not, right?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I really disliked M&M all around. There only being a tiny handful of societies to join feels cheap and repetitive. These weird niche societies become everyday things, and there's a satanist around every corner now. I like goofy poo poo in CK2, but it feels like they're forcing it in M&M instead of letting it happen organically as part of the game's systems.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I really disliked M&M all around. There only being a tiny handful of societies to join feels cheap and repetitive. These weird niche societies become everyday things, and there's a satanist around every corner now. I like goofy poo poo in CK2, but it feels like they're forcing it in M&M instead of letting it happen organically as part of the game's systems.

But again, you can have every feature of M&M except the satanists if you turn them off at game start. I usually disable satanists now, because as you said, over time there tends to be a one around every corner. And there will be a lot more societies to join come Holy Fury, so there will hopefully be more variability then. Having M&M is still better than not having it, otherwise you're back to holdings feast or waiting for Way of Life events to fire during peace.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The secret societies mechanic in M&M is fantastic, one of my favorite features of CK2. But there's not enough of them and they're not deep enough on an individual level either. I feel like every DLC since should have introduced at least one society to go with it, but I can see how that's prohibitive with their development model. But if you're not playing Christians you are too often only given the Hermetic society and devil worshippers. And if you're playing a pagan you only get the devil worshippers.

I feel like they should have turned the character focus into societies. If you're doing seductions you join the playboys club, if you're doing war you join the fight club, etc etc.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demiurge4 posted:

The secret societies mechanic in M&M is fantastic, one of my favorite features of CK2. But there's not enough of them and they're not deep enough on an individual level either. I feel like every DLC since should have introduced at least one society to go with it, but I can see how that's prohibitive with their development model. But if you're not playing Christians you are too often only given the Hermetic society and devil worshippers. And if you're playing a pagan you only get the devil worshippers.

I feel like they should have turned the character focus into societies. If you're doing seductions you join the playboys club, if you're doing war you join the fight club, etc etc.

Luckily, Holy Fury brings warrior lodges to those pagans and allows reformed pagans (provided they pick the right reform ideas) to join the Hermetic Society.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
drat, congrats Ofaloaf.

new imperator dev diary, on Greeks: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-5th-of-november-2018.1126896/

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Greece looks like a proper thunderdome if I ever saw one, these Dev diaries where they explain the starting situation is much more exciting. Epirus seems like a very fun start to learn about the game.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 5, 2018

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Goddrat that topo map gets me hot and bothered

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder what movement is going to be like if they don't actively show province borders, just settlements and international boundaries. Also there are going to be playable vassals, that's interesting. I wonder how much the corruption system extends to them.

Fuligin posted:

Goddrat that topo map gets me hot and bothered

All topographical lumps just look the same to me.

Torrannor posted:

But again, you can have every feature of M&M except the satanists if you turn them off at game start.

Let's be honest, the hermetics are pretty goofy too. Worrying about scholarly rulers on the other side of the planet, inventing the gun before the discovery of gunpowder.

Societies beyond secret religions really seem like they ran out of ideas halfway through.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

There's like one guy on the workshop churning out these really well done society mods that are default compatible with pretty much everything (including big overhauls like After the End and CK+), I recommend checking those out if people want more variety. Orders of Chivalry and the Great Trade League are the names of two.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I wonder how conquest will work in imperator, there's just too many provinces to walk around to take.

Seems like never ending wars is the way to go :)
(and never ending civil wars)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fuligin posted:

There's like one guy on the workshop churning out these really well done society mods that are default compatible with pretty much everything (including big overhauls like After the End and CK+), I recommend checking those out if people want more variety. Orders of Chivalry and the Great Trade League are the names of two.

Thanks, these seem neat. I'll subscribe to his stuff for the next week before everything breaks. While I'm at it, what are some other decent flavor mods? Not looking for any huge overhauls or anything. Just simple mods like these that add a bit more to the game.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

From this and the last dev diary, it looks like Imperator has a lot of nations already in alliances at game start. I hope that doesn't make things too samey from game to game.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Family Values posted:

From this and the last dev diary, it looks like Imperator has a lot of nations already in alliances at game start. I hope that doesn't make things too samey from game to game.

I'm sure it won't take too long for a "Everyone is a single province minor!" mod with no established alliances to come out.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/7381/Paradox_Interactive_Collection/

That's a cool 600 Euros...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

popewiles posted:

Was anyone else really psyched when the announcement for Rome 2 was initially made and then became steadily less excited with each and every dev diary?

A few pages back but this is absolutely me. It seemed really cool and now I just do not care at all because it seems like :geno:: The Game.

I'm more excited/interested in the newest HOI4 DLC that still has no release date. All they need to do once it's out is fix the USSR and it'll finally be in really good shape.

Seriously the USSR decision tree is so bad. Every time I debate doing a game as them I just look at that tree and decide to play as Yugoslavia or something. The only worse one is the American one and that's thankfully being fixed.