Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Ultimately, here's the issue that gutted me when I started poking around: There is a list of desired jobs of importance/value. If you do not play these jobs, you will find yourself waiting much longer than others to the point it's just better to have some levels on a previous zone and go back there to try your hand at soloing.

Cor, brd, rng, nin, pld, drk are the jobs that were listed off to me that the community asks people to either play, and if you're new, or level towards unlocking. Sub whm/rdm/nin/war.
Spent a few nights watching streams to keep myself motivated by other Nas players and asked their chat what their opinions were on the server. It's amazing if you started off with a group. loving miserable if you didn't. Bonus Round: If you chose any other job, like THF or MNK :rip:, you are at the bottom of the barrel on invites. Even in Valkrum.

But yeah, the server isn't for players who want an actual experience of what XI used to be. It's fun for a day or two, but once you hit Valkrum, enjoy suffering since the population doesn't support anything non-optimal by the list that the server MVPs don't represent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I have a level 24 RDM/BLM sitting on the road to Jeuno because nobody would help me get anywhere when I asked and even if I did manage to get to Qufim without dying, a single person hosed the market on Refresh and raised the price to like 2.5m, thus making RDM impossible to play for almost everyone new.

There's another private server I want to try, Nightbrood, but every time I get around to going through the insanely long installation process for FFXI emulated servers I get caught up unable to log in or find the exact right file to change and just give up because I'm stoned and its 2pm and gently caress it

That being said, in theory Nightbrood has about ~75-100 regular players and is the same as Nasomi only with a free level 75 character (two jobs), starting gil, dynamis keys, and free class and level appropriate gear so you can hop right in. Ill try it again later this week because I want to get a 75 RDM and just explore the world I never got to see.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

On Nasomi I rolled around as a WHM for a bit, but had a terrible time finding groups once I hit Dunes because most people will bring a second character outside of party who is already in the 40s to heal for them. Logically I switched to a DD job, and found that since I was unable to keep up with being BiS for being level 20, my invites were drying up.

A man can only fish for moat carp and sell it for so long.

That being all said and done, my WHM on Nasomi is level 19 and I would be willing to do Dunes stuff later this week if you're still in that region.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Think about the people that still want to play ffxi in 2018. Now think about the people that want to play on a private sever where it's more player hating then fun. That's a very special(idiotic bunch) and youd be hard pressed to find anyone normal like yourselves.

Not sure why you don't like modern mmos but ffxivs community is pretty cool and chill. Also ffxiv goons are some of the nicer/helpful goons to play video games with.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Honestly FFXIV felt charmless and bland to me, and the dungeon system could have been run with NPCs for all the player interaction there was. I only ever got to almost cap in the game and then first expansion, never getting to play at cap for either, though, so I never got to do raids and stuff.

I just love FFXIs model of camp grinding but it's definitely dumb and incompatible with normal adult things

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
See on live I play whatever because FFXI players are so fickle and weird that if you show up to a party as a PUP in random mishmashed crap but parse high enough while pretending not to speak anyone's languages they'll just roll with it to avoid looking like they're out of the loop.

But I also play on Phoenix, where the playerbase is slightly more aware of how clueless they are. This method doesn't work as well on Asura.

Granted, I had a falling out with the guy I used to duo with so I rarely ever team anymore anyway.

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 6, 2018

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

That being all said and done, my WHM on Nasomi is level 19 and I would be willing to do Dunes stuff later this week if you're still in that region.

I'm down.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

I have a 69 Paladin (...nice) and a Alt with a bunch of stuff around lvl 20 if you want someone to join in. I can bring my PLD as a lower level job.

Also if any one needs helps with quests or getting their subjob or w/e let me know (I have sneak and invis on the PLD).

I don't really know why I like it as I never played retail. It's just fun and relaxing after playing FFXIV for so long. I'm actually really bad at party farming despite my level as I do a lot of soloing so bear with me <_<.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 6, 2018

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

SerCypher posted:

I have a 69 Paladin (...nice) and a Alt with a bunch of stuff around lvl 20 if you want someone to join in. I can bring my PLD as a lower level job.

Also if any one needs helps with quests or getting their subjob or w/e let me know (I have sneak and invis on the PLD).

I don't really know why I like it as I never played retail. It's just fun and relaxing after playing FFXIV for so long. I'm actually really bad at party farming despite my level as I do a lot of soloing so bear with me <_<.

:getin:

There any interest in a goon LS for Nasomi? I'll set us up a small discord server to talk about how much we love killing lizards in dunes if there is.

e: https://discord.gg/6TJcz5U and gonna set up a LS for anyone interested - Nasgoon.

Zeg fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 6, 2018

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zeg posted:

:getin:

There any interest in a goon LS for Nasomi? I'll set us up a small discord server to talk about how much we love killing lizards in dunes if there is.

Sure, I'm in another LS that I can beg for help if we want to start doing CoP or w/e. I'm not sure if they'll listen but I can beg lol.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'll pick it back up again if someone helps me get to loving qufim

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Frog Act posted:

Saddle up then.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

To the outpost? Or do the tower? If im free I can stealth/invis you.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'll reinstall the game tomorrow and see where exactly I'm logged out, and I think to Jeuno itself. I've only ever taken a character to Qufim once many years ago

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Frog Act posted:

I'll reinstall the game tomorrow and see where exactly I'm logged out, and I think to Jeuno itself. I've only ever taken a character to Qufim once many years ago

Three of us in our little discord already. We have aspirations! https://discord.gg/xDd7XjT

The link is set to never expire, anyone wanting to group up or just hang out is welcome.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so now that I'm in Qufim I'm wondering, what level and class is everyone? I'm 23RDM/11WHM right now but I'm going to try to unlock BRD and just that and WHM. I know one of you guys mentioned WAR and someone else is a WHM so I think we have the foundations of a static

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Frog Act posted:

so now that I'm in Qufim I'm wondering, what level and class is everyone? I'm 23RDM/11WHM right now but I'm going to try to unlock BRD and just that and WHM. I know one of you guys mentioned WAR and someone else is a WHM so I think we have the foundations of a static

Few of us are around Dunes level. This is where the bulk of our party people are.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Ive got a 13 warrior on nasomi logged out in the dunes i think

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I am 19 WHM on one character and 16 WAR and 16 THF on another on Nasomi. A friend of mine is 10 BLM.

Orty
May 14, 2007

I started a few days ago on Nasomi but quit since I knew it would be hell without knowing anyone or having a party, but if a chunk of goons are playing then I might start up again. Planning on doing a Bard so ill be desirable I guess? What job would be best to start with keeping in mind bard main job once 30 (or whenever I manage to unlock it)?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Orty posted:

I started a few days ago on Nasomi but quit since I knew it would be hell without knowing anyone or having a party, but if a chunk of goons are playing then I might start up again. Planning on doing a Bard so ill be desirable I guess? What job would be best to start with keeping in mind bard main job once 30 (or whenever I manage to unlock it)?

WHM, BLM, RDM for subs

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

On Nasomi I rolled around as a WHM for a bit, but had a terrible time finding groups once I hit Dunes because most people will bring a second character outside of party who is already in the 40s to heal for them. Logically I switched to a DD job, and found that since I was unable to keep up with being BiS for being level 20, my invites were drying up.

A man can only fish for moat carp and sell it for so long.

Are there any working fishbots for Nasommi that will not get me banned? I may or may not start playing.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gruknor posted:

Are there any working fishbots for Nasommi that will not get me banned? I may or may not start playing.

Nas seems to be pretty aggressive on banning bots, but I'm not sure how much the news matches the reality.

As far as money, I don't feel like you really need bots, some random person gave me 10k early on, but besides that I've just sold stuff that dropped from enemies and I've had no issues getting cash.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Gruknor posted:

As far as I know, there is not. The community/Nasomi himself are big on suspicious activity. When I was playing last year I spent five hours fishing because I was at the hospital with my son so I had nothing better to do on my crappy laptop and received tells from several people asking if I was there and even teleported at one point to the fountain in Bastok. Granted I was fishing right off the AH in Markets and immediately taking stacks to the sales counter so your mileage may vary.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Orty posted:

I'm taking RDM to 30 until I can unlock BRD and I'd recommend WHM over it, RDM is much too expensive for its return in terms of skill points in melee/black magic unless you plan on levelling BLM too in which case its better to just level that as a WHM sub. In terms of money its pretty easy to make money on Nasomi, I have ~35k from selling crystals (and from streaming myself playing when Nabutso was giving out 1k/hr for it) and I am not good at making money in MMOs, like so bad I've never paid for an epic mount and always got free flasks from my guild bad, so I wouldn't worry.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

If you're worried about starting Gil, one of the easiest methods is just leveling jobs to 10 - 13 in the starting areas. In Bastok I just go to the Zeruhn Mine and kill bats and worms. Between the Soot drops, the Wind crystals, and the ores that drop I can usually get between 12 - 20k easily.

Also keep an eye on Lizard Tails, for a bit they were selling on the AH for 200ish a stack but you could sell a stack to the vendor for more than that. I made like 4k one day cleaning out the AH and selling them to the vendor.

A stack of Ginger Cookies is 2kish on the AH, which is a huge help if you decide to go the caster route since it gives +5 MP when resting.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Gruknor posted:

:laffo:
I see why the retail goons don't recruit into their LS :v:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zeg posted:

:laffo:
I see why the retail goons don't recruit into their LS :v:

the retail goon ls is only bots

also the fish bots that work on retail were made for retail so there probably aren't even any working ones, there definitely isn't support for them and like a previous goon said. You'll probably get caught

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I thought this was pretty great.

https://morbolvote.finalfantasyxi.com/?lang=en

Make sure to watch the video and listen to the sample song.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
What is the "Royal Chocobo Beret" from this screenshot thing? Is it just for looks or does it have stats? Also rip my subscription lapsing a day after it would have been eligible for the free login campaign :v:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got tired of waiting and made my own party in Qufim with linkshell members and got from 23-26 in about 2 1/2 hours. Most groups have a powerleveler or high level backup to heal and peel off aggro so stuff goes pretty smoothly, it's enjoyable. Getting BRD unlocked should be pretty doable

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Almost all parties I have been in so far have had a PL chilling out of group for heals.

It’s leading up to Thanksgiving so i’ve been busy during the week. Goal is to hit 25 by end of week.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Exp is way faster than I expected, I played for like five and a half hours and went from 23-27 (almost 28) with no wipes. I'm gonna do the BRD quest tomorrow, I think.

Gonna take me a long rear end time to make 200k for a Monster Signa though

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't really like XP groups for the most part (Though if enough goons get on maybe i'll change my mind). I like soloing for some reason.

However if anyone needs their subjob items, or help with unlocking a job, im ur gurl. Actually any quest or such stuff let me know and I can help. My Main is relatively high level.

I hope there are eventually enough players that I can do my nation missions on my ald (and CoP on my main....).

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SerCypher posted:

I don't really like XP groups for the most part (Though if enough goons get on maybe i'll change my mind). I like soloing for some reason.

However if anyone needs their subjob items, or help with unlocking a job, im ur gurl. Actually any quest or such stuff let me know and I can help. My Main is relatively high level.

I hope there are eventually enough players that I can do my nation missions on my ald (and CoP on my main....).

This seems like an incredibly tough game to prefer soloing in, doesnt that limit you to like...BST? the only soloing I've managed to do was desert rarabs or w/e in Valkurm around level 20, which was still harder than it should be

anyway I was talking to someone last night from the big scrub friendly LS I'm in for free things and help and they mentioned its sometimes possible to get a couple people together to do nation missions and quests and stuff. I'd be down to help if we could do some Bastok quests too.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

ghostinmyshell posted:

I thought this was pretty great.

https://morbolvote.finalfantasyxi.com/?lang=en

Make sure to watch the video and listen to the sample song.

Yeah that was neat.

This, along with the new FFXI ReFriender is odd. I've also seen a ton of twitter, instagram, and facebook ads for both of these sites this past week.

With FFXI being at fanfest this year, and that much marketing money being spent, there might be something big in the works. It seems unlikely since SE hasn't really done anything for this game since 2015. But it all seems odd to be marketing it so hard now.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I suspect it is in service of the mobile tie in / spin off they're gonna release soonish. I'd be trying retail again with this campaign if they didn't make it actively impossible to retrieve your POL account from 2004 and thus access the discount and benefits

I'm enjoying Nasomi a ton right now anyway, leveling fast and exploring new zones - in Carpenters landing right now, a cool break from beaches

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Got Bard to 9 earlier, gonna get to 12 and go to the dunes tonight. This game is good and more goons should join us

Orty
May 14, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Got Bard to 9 earlier, gonna get to 12 and go to the dunes tonight. This game is good and more goons should join us

How long did it take you to get bard / how much help did you need for the job quest?

Been playing off and on but I need to buy a Stone scroll (or just remake I guess) since I started with Thief but now leveling BLM so I can get to Bard level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Orty posted:

How long did it take you to get bard / how much help did you need for the job quest?

Been playing off and on but I need to buy a Stone scroll (or just remake I guess) since I started with Thief but now leveling BLM so I can get to Bard level.

I'd say it took me about 40 hours total to get to BRD 12 including all my jobs (RDM 30, BLM 14, WHM 12) and a lot of waiting for parties and loving around. The BRD quest is insanely easy if you have the chocobo license to run from Jeuno to Valk in ~15-20 mins instead of 45 and you get lucky enough to take a boat ride without anything spawning and aggroing you. Barring a fuckup on the boat it can be soloed easily at level 30. You just have to go to a place right outside Mhaura and another spot on Valkurm's hidden beach and click on a spot on the ground.

If I were you I'd level WHM, WAR, or RDM to BRD. WHM because its a decent support class as BRD, RDM because its good for lots of skills, and WAR counterintuitively because NIN is the best subjob for BRD in general and it is best leveled with /WAR. If I were starting over I'd probably make a Hume Warrior to go to 30, get BRD and NIN and level them both.