Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Do GoPros have lens caps that can inadvertently be left on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

President Beep posted:

Do GoPros have lens caps that can inadvertently be left on?

Nope

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
But that doesn't mean a NASA engineer did not decide all cameras must have lenscaps for REASONS and had custom-made lenscaps fitted to every GoPro that comes on site.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ethical dilemma: I got notification that a couple of my photos are shortlisted for a big wildlife contest, and now I had to send in full size TIFFs for printing plus the original RAW file. Since these are big files they gave a few links to ways to share these files with them, one of which was an FTP site to use. I tried out the FTP first and it's just a single, generic user you connect with. I could see entries from about 10 other people just sitting there, with full permissions to do anything with them. Do I replace all the files with photos of birds pooping, which for some reason I have a lot of, or do I just steal their images?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

InternetJunky posted:

Ethical dilemma: I got notification that a couple of my photos are shortlisted for a big wildlife contest, and now I had to send in full size TIFFs for printing plus the original RAW file. Since these are big files they gave a few links to ways to share these files with them, one of which was an FTP site to use. I tried out the FTP first and it's just a single, generic user you connect with. I could see entries from about 10 other people just sitting there, with full permissions to do anything with them. Do I replace all the files with photos of birds pooping, which for some reason I have a lot of, or do I just steal their images?

Both, but replace with various pics of Big Bird instead.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Photoshop a giant anteater in to all of them and reupload them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am 100% certain they would react to any pranks with a smile and a laugh and certainly not unconditionally ban you from any and all competitions and report you to the FBI for embarrassing them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Give me the FTP address, I have photos of rare wild taints they need to see.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 23, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Hold on. I’ll start feeding you pics from the cheerios flickr group.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The anteater idea is golden and I wish I had the balls to try it. I assume at the very least that the FTP logins are unique to each contestant and traceable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wish I had the money to bbq my 5d and (i think) 24-70 and be all "oopsie doopsie, live and learn!"

Though the body itself looks surprisingly good, I wonder if it melted the innards or if the camera could actually be resuscitated.

(from a nasa photographer, was a remote camera for a rocket launch: https://imgur.com/a/uiKHyBo)

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 23, 2018

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Dammit. Wish they'd called me first. I've got a perfectly good Rebel I would've swapped with them. :argh:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

xzzy posted:

I wish I had the money to bbq my 5d and (i think) 24-70 and be all "oopsie doopsie, live and learn!"

Though the body itself looks surprisingly good, I wonder if it melted the innards or if the camera could actually be resuscitated.

(from a nasa photographer, was a remote camera for a rocket launch: https://imgur.com/a/uiKHyBo)

I think it's been the way they take photos of launches: deliberately put a camera in harm's way and remove the film from its melted body.

i am pretty sure that Nikon F4s were scattered around the flamey bits of the Shuttle launches and before that with rockets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

spog posted:

I think it's been the way they take photos of launches: deliberately put a camera in harm's way and remove the film from its melted body.

i am pretty sure that Nikon F4s were scattered around the flamey bits of the Shuttle launches and before that with rockets.

This guy has some DIY rigs he uses:

http://forum.mflenses.com/three-rocket-launches-t79201.html

Doesn't seem to have much in the way of fire protection, if the hot stuff makes it to his box the lens is gonna get roasted. But maybe insulating around the sides is enough to avoid searing the body? I ain't ever shot a rocket launch so can only guess. :iiam:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
There's a really cool video that goes into quite a lot of detail about the cameras used for monitoring shuttle launches. They mostly used 16mm cameras for the stuff closer to the launch and 35mm further away. The bit around 37 minutes in where they are talking about the 120kg, 4000mm lenses that they use to track the launch once it clears the tower is just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2VygftZSCs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

500px shutting down their marketplace and replacing it with getty on June 1, making getty the only way to license 500px photos (unless you're in China). This means if you sell a photo, two parties get a cut of the action: getty and 500px. They say royalty percentages are the same but I can't imagine 500px is willing to take a smaller cut, there has to be some sneakiness in there.

https://support.500px.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005097533

The most curious part of this is that 500px will no longer allow uploads with a creative commons license. They're also going to remove CC images from search results and removing the ability to download them.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm sitting in a cafe in Chiang Mai and there's a Korean kid at the next table who looks around 12 years old. He's taking pictures of his girlfriend across the table. First came the 1Dx - which was nearly as big as he is, then the Hasselblad 500. Now he's deciding which lens to use on his Leica.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jesus Christ, makes you wonder just how fuckoff rich that family is.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I'd be willing to bet that he's shooting in full auto.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Had a first happen to me today. Was doing a sunset at a popular spot with lots of tourists passing through, was setting up my tripod and filters when some dude walks up and asks if he can take a picture in somewhat shaky English. I shrug and nod because there was plenty of room and why do I give a gently caress if he takes a picture.

Dude lines his lens up with the barrel of my lens and rapid fires like 20 shots. Got creepy fast and I put a hand on all my belongings in case it was some pick pocket scheme.

But nah he just wanted whatever my composition was because apparently a tripod makes you a pro.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have been trying to be less self conscious shooting in public lately. Normally I wait until there's a lull in traffic or bystanders when I attempt to shoot mundane city landscapes because I don't like drawing attention to myself. But there was a rad looking motel I had to capture, and the vehicles parked by the lobby weren't going anywhere soon so I just decided to take a couple quick shots and be on my way (I was on a bicycle). After firing a few shots off, I rode away and I heard the sound of spinning tires on the gravel parking lot behind me. Sure enough a guy in an SUV pulls up beside me on the road and starts interrogating me. I told him I was taking photos of the motel sign (truthfully) and he insisted I had binoculars and was instead spying on "his girls". He said he was gonna call the cops, and I encouraged him to. I decided to ignore him and keep casually pedaling, but he followed me for a couple blocks, asking where I lived and other bullshit. I knew the path system in the area very well, so I easily ducked out and lost him without any other confrontation. This won't help with my anxiety.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I used to work in an area with about four brothels on each block and you’d better believe I didn’t take my camera out even once.

(That rad motel was a brothel, hth)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my photo archive has been found

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1039869462835474432

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
A good Vice article.
Stop Taking Pictures of Homeless People.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/richdemuro/status/1058064996817526784

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

guess flickr's dead

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
So a Leica café opened around the corner from me.

There are a poo poo ton of rich Asians who carry a Leica as a status symbol. It's funny to see someone with a $7k camera around their neck fumbling for a phone to take pictures of their girlfriend at the tourist spots.

quote:

"The idea of the café is built around photography," said Danai Sorakraikitikul, CEO of A-List Corporate, the sole distributor of Leica cameras in Thailand. "Instead of a barrier between walking into a door, opening a door, the younger consumers feel intimidated to have to open a door and come in. But at a café, it's not like that. When they come in they can order a cup of coffee for 150 baht, and they'll be greeted by our staff bringing them very expensive cameras to let them try. They can take pictures and we'll print them out for them, and they'll know that it's not expensive -- it's cheap for what it can do."

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Heck yeah. Just got asked to shoot an event related to work this weekend. $50 for one hour. Seems reasonable for a hobbyist such as myself.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

Heck yeah. Just got asked to shoot an event related to work this weekend. $50 for one hour. Seems reasonable for a hobbyist such as myself.
I don’t just want you to report back. I need it

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

I don’t just want you to report back. I need it

My thumb's gonna be over the lens in every drat shot.

e: It's just for some "salute our veterans" thingy, so I wouldn't expect too much Parks and Rec-esque insanity (but we'll see!!!).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

President Beep posted:

How much exposure are they offering you?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I've actually been warned multiple times that I'm not to expose myself.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

President Beep posted:

Can't tell if you're actually excited about this amount or just joking.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’m excited. No one has ever wanted to offer me money to take pictures before.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

I’m excited. No one has ever wanted to offer me money to take pictures before.
Ask your mom what she did when she found herself in this situation Beepleton.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's real cool to get your first paid gig but $50 is insultingly low.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Uptime Sinclair posted:

Ask your mom what she did when she found herself in this situation Beepleton.

iirc, she told you that you were violating the restraining order.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

xzzy posted:

It's real cool to get your first paid gig but $50 is insultingly low.

Really? For just an hour? I did some (half assed) research online, and I saw $25 to $75 an hour for amateur photographers. I was trying to be reasonable too, because I know that lowballing rates can screw things up for other photographers too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

President Beep posted:

Really? For just an hour? I did some (half assed) research online, and I saw $25 to $75 an hour for amateur photographers. I was trying to be reasonable too, because I know that lowballing rates can screw things up for other photographers too.

Are you planning on delivering unculled, unedited images?