Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That's his uniform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish my dorm room had a save point

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
COP BRO NOOOOOOOO!

I didn't trust you but you were on my side the whole time and you were going to get rid of my zombie virus because you were the broest of bros and now I'll never be able to tell you I'm sorry! :cry:

This cult is going down :argh:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Rarity posted:

COP BRO NOOOOOOOO!

I didn't trust you but you were on my side the whole time and you were going to get rid of my zombie virus because you were the broest of bros and now I'll never be able to tell you I'm sorry! :cry:

These posts are the reason I come on this thread.

That and rpgchat. Or red dead chat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rarity posted:

COP BRO NOOOOOOOO!

Pour one out for Luis.

Way too suave a character to ever survive in the RE universe.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE4 mercenaries on a portable device is gonna be tight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
psychic powers...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does loading saves in XCOM 2 make me a weenie loser or is ironman the weenie loser choice this time

It's different in every game that presents ironman as an option so I dunno

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

cheetah7071 posted:

Does loading saves in XCOM 2 make me a weenie loser or is ironman the weenie loser choice this time

It's different in every game that presents ironman as an option so I dunno

Dunno how it is now but at launch there were so many game-breaking bugs in XCOM 2 that the recommendation for playing on Ironman was just "don't".

Might be better now, but you should probably look into that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in what game is the ironman mode considered easier than the non-ironman mode

i'm assuming an ironman game by marvel?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

COP BRO NOOOOOOOO!

you know what you must do

take up the ancient and holy arm "Red9" in his honor

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My real question basically boils down to "does XCOM 2 get more fun if you try to power through things going badly instead of loading your save?"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Monkey Fracas posted:

you know what you must do

take up the ancient and holy arm "Red9" in his honor

I ditched the Red9 to make room for a rocket launcher :ssh:

e: Wait, now I have to play as Ashley? But I don't have any guns :ohdear:

Just a pair of bazookas

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

most games do

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If this is your first run do the latter so you can get a sense of how things should unfold

Then next time do the first thing for the stories you'll have

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

My real question basically boils down to "does XCOM 2 get more fun if you try to power through things going badly instead of loading your save?"

I think my answer to this is "yes, but" since usually yes but maybe not if you're deep enough into a campaign and feel like the setback would end it. I think it's unlikely to happen that way, since the difficulty is really frontloaded in XCOM.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Red9 full upgrades but NO STOCK the stock is cool but it is cooler without it

BANG BANG BANG

*PING*

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made ads for a Final Fantasy orchestra show today, so I am contractually obligated to tell you now that Final Fantasy is good

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Taintrunner posted:

I made ads for a Final Fantasy orchestra show today, so I am contractually obligated to tell you now that Final Fantasy is good

Distant Worlds is good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I hate shills

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love Silent Hills though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Pyramid Head for Smash

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

Pyramid Head for Smash

Stone Cold Steve Austin for Smash (this exists, apparently)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cheetah7071 posted:

Yes it does but don't play ironman because it's also kind of buggy and may eat your save/gently caress you.

It doesn't look like it but you really have to go out of your way to fail to make a campaign unwinnable once you get more than a few months in, so power through losses/bad situations. On my legendary run I only had to savescum one bit and that was because of some bugs around los I didn't feel like dealing with.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

my actual favorite battle system is tales of graces f but i can't really use that as a point of comparison for turn-based jrpgs, so, rip

so i use trails of cold steel instead cause that's the first turn-based jrpg that got me to consistently and actively engage with its mechanics that wasn't paper mario ttyd

While I'm glad I set Cold Steel to hard, I'm reaching that point where combat against the simplest mooks requires too much effort to make the games' systems worthwhile.

I really want Western and Japanese RPGs would meet in the middle. Take the Japanese RPG design of world building and systems heavy character crafting that doesn't rely on an easily exploitable pen-and-paper reject system with Western RPG design of explicitly crafted fights and measured equipment where combat is rare and puzzle-like instead of a constant, never ending hurdle to pad time.

Basically more Cosmic Star Heroines, thanks

e: It's been about 15 years and Wild Arms 3 is still the only JRPG off the top of my head that has an in-game system for just skipping combat which is refilled by exploring to find crystals which acts as both an incentive to press on and a visual clue for what areas you've been in.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 5, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh my god monks were chasing me and its pitch black and I can barely see and there were suits of armour and I knew they were gonna come to life and then they came to life and I don't like this Leon save meeeee :byodame:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

While I'm glad I set Cold Steel to hard, I'm reaching that point where combat against the simplest mooks requires too much effort to make the games' systems worthwhile.

i'm not sure how you reach that point before the final dungeon because that's the only area where enemies can soak enough damage to be a concern, cold steel 1 only has like two particularly difficult fights. most enemies just require you to use high-damage aoe crafts

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Rarity posted:

Oh my god monks were chasing me and its pitch black and I can barely see and there were suits of armour and I knew they were gonna come to life and then they came to life and I don't like this Leon save meeeee :byodame:

protip the monks are the only guys leon can bust out a suplex on, by tagging them in the knee instead of the head for a melee followup

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

protip the monks are the only guys leon can bust out a suplex on, by tagging them in the knee instead of the head for a melee followup

IIRC you can also suplex the paramilitary guys on the island

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i could’ve sworn they used the ganados ruleset but it has been a while

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i'm not sure how you reach that point before the final dungeon because that's the only area where enemies can soak enough damage to be a concern, cold steel 1 only has like two particularly difficult fights. most enemies just require you to use high-damage aoe crafts

Enemies do about 1/4 of a person's health per hit, that's with the latest armor and everything. Considering you'll be outnumbered often 2:1 in this game a bad turn can result in a party wipe or a never ending pit where you're just trying to climb out by healing/dying/healing/dying.

It was around the sewers where this first started becoming a noticeable thing. I think the boss of that area is two dogs and they both have AoE's that take a person down by half and delay everyone. On hard you can get a party wipe if the two dogs do their AoE's back to back.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What should I play when I get home?

RimWorld
Total War Warhammer
Destiny 2
XCOM 2
Monster Hunter World
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
Lie in bed and watch Hearthstone videos on YouTube

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

alright like i sorta hear you hear but have you considered this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ohpdy99kEc

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

What should I play when I get home?

RimWorld
Total War Warhammer
Destiny 2
XCOM 2
Monster Hunter World
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
Lie in bed and watch Hearthstone videos on YouTube
[x] have a simple meal of bread and water before praying and falling asleep early

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The entirety of tomorrow will be consumed by the needle, so I will find a videogame with no needles in it at all to play tonight

Fortunately most video games do not have needles in them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Enemies do about 1/4 of a person's health per hit, that's with the latest armor and everything. Considering you'll be outnumbered often 2:1 in this game a bad turn can result in a party wipe or a never ending pit where you're just trying to climb out by healing/dying/healing/dying.

It was around the sewers where this first started becoming a noticeable thing. I think the boss of that area is two dogs and they both have AoE's that take a person down by half and delay everyone. On hard you can get a party wipe if the two dogs do their AoE's back to back.

oh that boss is kind of rough mostly because they don't give you a great party for that

the later field trips usually give you a heavy-hitter like laura or fie who can carry the weaker party members and jusis gets a lot better, but the early going in cold steel is one of the roughest parts because you don't have any really good crafts, and the combat is heavily built around using crafts. best i can say is to max out your cp and use whatever good support crafts you have that early on

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 5, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cowcaster posted:

I love how there's absolutely no mention or comment that Leon will now suplex his enemies instead of simply kicking them, he just decides that's how he's gonna roll from now on.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I heard someone compare the optional boss in delta room to sam skeleton and at first i was like, oh this isn’t so hard, but then it gets harder, and my idiot guys keep dying when i need them all alive to do the thing!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

The entirety of tomorrow will be consumed by the needle, so I will find a videogame with no needles in it at all to play tonight

Fortunately most video games do not have needles in them

dead space 2, for example, is a very good game, that does not have any needles in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

dead space 2, for example, is a very good game, that does not have any needles in it!

I can't tell internet sarcasm any more but here is one of the scenes that offend your grandma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hruk1F6ahQQ

• Locked thread