Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

"wow, this pizza looks nice."
*covers in 500 lbs of parmesan cheese*
"much better"

this but with 3 different gunplay modifications and I'm not sure how much better it is than vanilla but it sure feels good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I've never gone far enough in the civil war quest line (and I've never beaten the game), but Solitude is my favourite city. If I'm siding with the Stormcloaks, will we eventually take it over? I want to live in Proudspire Manor, dammit!

Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly, but I'm not entirely sure they'll bother to stop a Stormcloak Dragonborn from becoming a Thane in an Imperial held city, including Solitude. I tried looking up information about it, and the closest thing I can find to that sort of restriction is that Ulfric won't offer to make you a Thane until sometime after the "Point of No Return" quest, meaning an Imperial Dragonborn would have to oust him first.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cat Mattress posted:

You can become thane of every hold without even starting the Civil War questline, so you should be able to buy Proudspire Manor regardless.

I figured, but I don't want to be a stormcloak with a poo poo ton of empire soldiers nearby. Next playthrough, when I go empire, I'll feel right a home from the start.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The only town you can't become a Thane in regardless of your alliegance in the civil war in, before the War is resolved, is Windhelm, because Ulfric only offers you it, as well as the ability to buy Hjerim, is through civil war quests on his side.

If you side with the Empire, though, Ulfric's replacement is quite happy to offer you Thaneship and Hjerim, which I always do, laughing the entire time about the depressed supporters of Ulfric watch as his killer gallivants around the city.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Isn’t the current standard for Oblivion in overhauls Maskar’s?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Isn’t the current standard for Oblivion in overhauls Maskar’s?

certainly, maskar's autoadapts to any mod combination though, even other overhauls, so layering them is easy if you want to do so

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

From what I read about OOO, it's basically romhack difficulty. No thanks. Maskar's apparently doubles both outgoing and incoming damage but you can turn that off.

All the setup guides I've been looking at are geared towards huge loving lists of poo poo I don't want, and they all say all the dumb tools (Wrye Bash/OBMM/etc.) are absolutely required. My interest in playing is rapidly waning.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ofecks posted:

From what I read about OOO, it's basically romhack difficulty. No thanks. Maskar's apparently doubles both outgoing and incoming damage but you can turn that off.

All the setup guides I've been looking at are geared towards huge loving lists of poo poo I don't want, and they all say all the dumb tools (Wrye Bash/OBMM/etc.) are absolutely required. My interest in playing is rapidly waning.

obmm is easier to use than the classic manual extraction method for bigger mods, and many mods use it so you can configure their installations with a menu instead of digging through archives. any meaningful modding of an elder scrolls game is going to require a little bit of grappling with the tools, but oblivion's are easy to learn and once you know them the whole process is much smoother. wrye has a pretty terrible interface but you really only have to use it to make a bashed patch at the end

anyway OOO doesn't really make the game harder - easier in the long run i would say. anyone who portrays it as romhack difficulty doesn't understand the premise; OOO and many of the other overhauls turn off level-scaling to a certain extent, so that the world feels more genuine. even when you're high level, there will be some weak bandits who you can now trash with impunity, but when you're low level, there are still strong enemies who you probably shouldn't mess with. there is still scaling because oblivion is designed around it, but it's less intrusive. so yeah, if you try to go to a dungeon really deep in the wilderness first thing, you're going to die because strong things live there - but there's a very wide swathe of the game world in the areas around the towns and roads that's full of nice low-level dungeons to start you out. it's the morrowind approach rather than the oblivion/skyrim one

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSb84PMqc5g

In a concert setting, the main theme for Blades (the mobile game) was performed last night. Sounds good, I definitely recognize the Skyrim motif... which I suppose, with its inclusing in the TES VI teaser, and now Blades, is looking more like the 4th Era motif now.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ofecks posted:

From what I read about OOO, it's basically romhack difficulty.

where did you get that impression? lmao

OOO was so good at rebalancing oblivion it got him a job at obsidian

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Yea, OOO scales enemy difficulty with distance from a major road.

If you pin the compass at your objective and hold W, you'll die. If you follow the road in the early game you'll be fine, and learn your limits as you advance.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Yea, OOO scales enemy difficulty with distance from a major road.

If you pin the compass at your objective and hold W, you'll die. If you follow the road in the early game you'll be fine, and learn your limits as you advance.

That is an extremely neat way to do it, and I wish it had been done in the base game.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bony tony posted:

A funny thing I learned about the Lusty Argonian Maid is that the author used a self insert as a main character.

Uncle Crassius is a real character.

bony tony posted:

A funny thing I learned about the Lusty Argonian Maid is that the author used a self insert as a main character.

Uncle Crassius is a real character.

Is he also in the ESO version? :2bong:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

ESO takes place about 700 or so years before Crassius Curio would reasonably be born so probably not. I think ESO has further documentation that states that TLAM is a story that's been told by bards for as long as anyone could remember, meaning Curio is just retelling it or adapting it now that the trademark has expired.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

ESO takes place about 700 or so years before Crassius Curio would reasonably be born so probably not. I think ESO has further documentation that states that TLAM is a story that's been told by bards for as long as anyone could remember, meaning Curio is just retelling it or adapting it now that the trademark has expired.

Eso sucks so loving hard holy poo poo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's pretty dumb, they just had to get the funny meme book in

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Thanks for the clarifications on OOO. Will give it a whirl at some point. Found out that I'm gonna need to re-buy the game via the Deluxe edition to get the official plugins (my license is only for GotY non-deluxe), so I'm gonna hold off playing until the next big Steam sale.

I was thinking about trying out ESO, but I watched some annoying fuckers on Twitch play for the first time and saw some gigantic numbers on the character sheet, which turned me completely off. Is it normal to have thousands of whatever attribute after finishing the tutorial?

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 10, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really wish there was a way to play ESO without anyone else online. No matter how good a games quests and atmosphere, seeing dozens of xxXdickweaselXxx running around jumping and dashing from place to place just makes Tamriel look like a land of skooma addicts. And not in an immersive lore friendly way.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ofecks posted:

I was thinking about trying out ESO, but I watched some annoying fuckers on Twitch play for the first time and saw some gigantic numbers on the character sheet, which turned me completely off. Is it normal to have thousands of whatever attribute after finishing the tutorial?

I don't understand the ESO system, but from my few hours experience with it, yeah. All the numbers on the character sheet are just huge for some reason.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Reach heaven by accounting errors :vivec:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ofecks posted:

Thanks for the clarifications on OOO. Will give it a whirl at some point. Found out that I'm gonna need to re-buy the game via the Deluxe edition to get the official plugins (my license is only for GotY non-deluxe), so I'm gonna hold off playing until the next big Steam sale.

You can also get it from GOG, so you can watch for the next GOG sale too.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Thanks for the clarifications on OOO. Will give it a whirl at some point. Found out that I'm gonna need to re-buy the game via the Deluxe edition to get the official plugins (my license is only for GotY non-deluxe)
If you have the GotY edition, you should own the Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles DLCs. Those are the DLC with some actual content to them.

The Deluxe edition just gives you crap like Horse Armor and a bunch of houses. If you really want them, or want to use a mod that has those DLCs has a dependency, then go nuts. But it's probably not worth your money.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The wizards tower DLC is a must have imo. And while overpriced, I enjoyed horse armor on console because it let me look more knightly for my KotN character.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Wizards tower also let's you craft spells and enchant things without doing a third of the mage guild quest line too

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yes, and it also apparently has a 2000 gold merchant with Novice Mercantile. There are similar little perks to the other hideouts.

I also want the DLC for the Spell Tomes.

Vavrek posted:

I don't understand the ESO system, but from my few hours experience with it, yeah. All the numbers on the character sheet are just huge for some reason.

That's really unfortunate. It's one thing if the numbers start out small and end up ludicrous (D3 or WoW), but I'm really adverse to that sort of thing out-of-the-gate in RPGs. I'm a huge fan of the Lone Wolf gamebook series, and I can't get into the otherwise lovely Steam HD game because it has you doing thousands of damage, where the original book systems were intentionally simplistic and very conservative with its metrics.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What's the best non-modded house in Skyrim and why? I have all the DLC, just bought Hjerim (already own a fully-upgraded Breezehome).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Riften house is great. There's a door outside the city so you don't have to enter a different cell, handy for the market. Downside: You have to go to Riften.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bony tony posted:

The Riften house is great. There's a door outside the city so you don't have to enter a different cell, handy for the market. Downside: You have to go to Riften.

This is a considerable downside.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just buy the land in the Pale and build a house.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Pale house is a good spot for your nerd tower, since you can build a fishery and harvest spadetail all day erry day.

The family home (bedroom, kitchen, library) is in Falkreath, because it's nice and sunny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bony tony posted:

The Pale house is a good spot for your nerd tower, since you can build a fishery and harvest spadetail all day erry day.

The family home (bedroom, kitchen, library) is in Falkreath, because it's nice and sunny.

So far, in my previous playthroughs, aside from Breezehome, I've built and owned Lakeview a number of times, though never bothered with the others.

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

bony tony posted:

Hjaalmarch has the fish hatchery. The Pale has a mill and giants.

For city livin' Markath has a nice home. Windhelm's house is probably the best but you either gotta side with Ulfric or go through the entire Civil War questline with the Imperials before you can get it. And you have to live in Windhelm.

Solitude definitely has the nicest neighborhood. Even Temba Wide-Arm doesn't complain.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've sided with Ulfric for this playthrough. Next time, it'll be the empire all the way, and I'll likely aim to go straight to Proudspire Manor right from Breezehome.

Also, definitely going to get the 'connected houses' mod. I'm going to rationalize it in-game by taking the Terry Pratchett mindset; a wizard did it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

bony tony posted:

Who isn't constantly making trips to the flagon to fence your poo poo, might as well live next to it

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, definitely going to get the 'connected houses' mod. I'm going to rationalize it in-game by taking the Terry Pratchett mindset; a wizard did it.

That is such a good idea. Hadn't heard of that mod, but I'll try to remember it next time I fall into Skyrim.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Last time I used any of the base-game (HF included) homes I went with Hjeljarchen Hall, mainly because I had the Hjeljarchen Farm mod installed which allowed me to RP some bitter adventurer who settled down and started a farm and poo poo.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I just use the Steed stone with the Stones rework mod. A pocket dimension chest is basically what my houses in the game are anyway, may as well make it mobile.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Nasgate posted:

I just use the Steed stone with the Stones rework mod. A pocket dimension chest is basically what my houses in the game are anyway, may as well make it mobile.

If you want to play that way, that's on you. The rest of us are trying to play Viking Dollhouse over here.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love my Violent Pretty Princess Dressup game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

bony tony posted:

I love my Violent Pretty Princess Dressup game.

Goddamned right.