Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Skwirl posted:

At first I thought this was gonna be a list of games without a Polish language translation.

Wait, that's not what it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think the NO POLISH list was a list of games with no Polish language, and my dumb reaction list was the same games, which insisted that, actually, they were very polished games indeed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

One thing I hate about the redesign is that I can no longer figure out when sales or deal have started or are due to end.
The old GOG Frontpage RSS feed still works, so you can plug that into Feedly or some other reader and get told about all the releases or sales as they happen.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5sbsn_OiFs

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider
yeah the No Polish was a list of games without a Polish language option but it'd pop up quite frequently with its angry face angrily warning you against buying the game you're very currently looking at in the GOG storefront completely bypassing the rating system in its own dedicated interstitial area

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Following their realization that sitting on their old properties with all their corporate fatness until the last star in the universe gutters out would make them less money than Not Doing That(TM) and their subsequent rereleases of Jazz Jackrabbit 1+2 and Epic Pinball, Epic Formerlymega Games has rereleased the Jill of the Jungle trilogy.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 4, 2018

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

Following their realization that setting on their old properties with all their corporate fatness until the last star in the universe gutters out would make them lessm oney than Not Doing That(TM) and their rerelease of Jazz Jackrabbet 1+2 and Epic Pinball, Epic Formerlymega Games has rereleased the Jill of the Jungle trilogy.
It's also free, which is better than costing money! Odd little series, with some... idiosyncratic sound design.

You might also find it fun (or at the least mildly amusing for like two minutes) to look up "Onesimus: A Quest For Freedom", a Bible-themed remix of the Jill trilogy put out by a short-lived Christian publisher...

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
That was a fun 6 minutes with Jill. I'm done forever now.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy poo poo, Jill of the Jungle, AND it's free?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It’s not as great as you remember.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Yeaaahhh

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

GreenNight posted:

Me, as of 5 minutes ago: That can't be right!

Me, as of right now: Ohh... :sadwave:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

GreenNight posted:

I might get executed for this, but barring a few exceptions, this is actually how i view most of the GoG list. I have bought so many games that I wanted to play when i was a kid, and i just can't bring myself to get immersed into it after buying them.

Even something like Jazz Jackrabbit, something i also grew up playing, I played about a good 20-30 minutes before putting it down.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Looks like they commissioned new art for Jill of the Jungle's store page. I wonder why they didn't use the original boxaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Fargin Icehole posted:

I might get executed for this, but barring a few exceptions, this is actually how i view most of the GoG list. I have bought so many games that I wanted to play when i was a kid, and i just can't bring myself to get immersed into it after buying them.

Even something like Jazz Jackrabbit, something i also grew up playing, I played about a good 20-30 minutes before putting it down.

My theory is that on top of nostalgia, the Cartmanland/Earthbound effect plays a role. People don't like the idea of corporations owning stuff they'd played in the past and refusing to make it available again. A non-trivial percentage of buyers probably buy old games simply because they finally can.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 6, 2018

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GreenNight posted:

I still play it periodically. The knife is a bit odd, but the platforming is tight enough, and the soundtrack is nostalgia injected into my veins. I thought it s creative enough with the transformations to mix it up too.

I think it may very well have been the first game I ever downloaded from a BBS.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I'd rather play Captain Comic over Jill.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I was a Nintendo kid, but my fave platforming series was “jazz jackrabbit.”

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

imo jill feels like it wants to lean into puzzle platforming but the level design never quite goes there in a satisfying way and instead tries to force a square peg in a round hole by making too much action-oriented in a control scheme not really suited for it

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

CYBEReris posted:

imo jill feels like it wants to lean into puzzle platforming but the level design never quite goes there in a satisfying way and instead tries to force a square peg in a round hole by making too much action-oriented in a control scheme not really suited for it

I'm always so confused, whenever LGR goes on a tangent about Jill, and how good its controls are. They're super stiff for a precision platformer.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah they're not particularly great. But it brought back some memories. The first game was way easier than what I remember, basically just a tutorial. Second has some annoying parts and third has so far definitely been the worst.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah. Even games that have the core of a good game in there usually get beaten down by their old UI and controls. I think the only games I’ve put a lot of time into after buying them on GoG have been the old D and D ones like BG2.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Old games rule.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I really like DOS platformers and am really happy to see Jill of the Jungle finally on there. Obviously, none of them are Mario, but I just kinda mentally file them away as something else, and really enjoy the better ones.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Commander keen 5 is the best dos platformer. Second places goes to 6, third place is 4.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

I genuinely and unironically think that this is adorable.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What did the non-PC version of that cover look like?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SelenicMartian posted:

What did the non-PC version of that cover look like?

That is the original box art. It's just laughably terrible.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Commander keen 5 is the best dos platformer. Second places goes to 6, third place is 4.

Other way around for me, I prefer living enemies over endless robots. Gnosticus IV seems more lived-in to me, too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I mean the other kind of PC.

I've seen a full LP of Jill and it's impressive how many things shriek or make other odd noises in it.

Also, 'Epic Rules' collectibles.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SelenicMartian posted:

I mean the other kind of PC.

I found this collage of Jill boxarts (one is actually a pinball game, though):

(source)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I like the upper right one.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Jungle Pinball one's quite cool, in a comic book-y way. At least it's an action pose rather than pure cheesecake

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The wrongest of opinions.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cat Mattress posted:

I found this collage of Jill boxarts (one is actually a pinball game, though):

(source)

These should be in museums everywhere.

Throw out the Klimts and Schieles.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Jill of the Jungle release set me on a bit of an Epic Megagames nostalgia trip. Saw that Xargon was actually released as freeware:

https://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Xargon.html

And with the source code released, there's an SDL port, though it sounds unfinished: http://www.shikadi.net/ports/xargon

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Jazz is great, but it's like a lot of platformers - you can go fast, but the game will punish you for it. The camera is too zoomed in and doesn't start scrolling soon enough. The controls can be a little floaty.

But you know what, it's still fun, which is something I can't say about Duke Nukem 2. That's a game that I just get tired of very quickly. Like, Jazz is still playable, just a little clunky But D2 feels like you're fighting the game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Jazz is great, but it's like a lot of platformers - you can go fast, but the game will punish you for it. The camera is too zoomed in and doesn't start scrolling soon enough. The controls can be a little floaty.

But you know what, it's still fun, which is something I can't say about Duke Nukem 2. That's a game that I just get tired of very quickly. Like, Jazz is still playable, just a little clunky But D2 feels like you're fighting the game.

Jazz 2 did a ton to fix this, but it does to me what Duke 2 does to you. It tires me, even though I know it's the better game, whereas I can burn through an episode of Jazz 1 any day.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I need to gush over TSIOQUE for a second. It's viciously charming. The animation is wonderfully fluid, a bit reminiscent of Dragon's Lair, though the number of frames in character movements could stand to be a bit higher. The whole game feels a lot like what I'd expect Dragon's Lair to be if it were actually good, with tons of puzzle variety. The puzzles are clever, sometimes a bit devious but the solution is usually subtly signposted. Portions of the game involve clicking certain objects, using items, and making movements with proper timing to progress in action sequences, but it's used sparingly and the timing of actions is incredibly forgiving (usually several seconds). Dying/getting captured resets you to just before the action that caused you to lose, so repetition is minimized. The cartoon humor is light but solid, and the angry grimace the little girl has on her face as she wanders around the castle is downright adorable.

My expectations were pretty low going in since the studios last game, Tormentum - Dark Sorrow, is a relatively bland and easy adventure game apart from its Giger/Beksinski artistic influences. TSIOQUE clearly had a lot of love and passion poured into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

treat posted:

I need to gush over TSIOQUE for a second. It's viciously charming. The animation is wonderfully fluid, a bit reminiscent of Dragon's Lair, though the number of frames in character movements could stand to be a bit higher. The whole game feels a lot like what I'd expect Dragon's Lair to be if it were actually good, with tons of puzzle variety. The puzzles are clever, sometimes a bit devious but the solution is usually subtly signposted. Portions of the game involve clicking certain objects, using items, and making movements with proper timing to progress in action sequences, but it's used sparingly and the timing of actions is incredibly forgiving (usually several seconds). Dying/getting captured resets you to just before the action that caused you to lose, so repetition is minimized. The cartoon humor is light but solid, and the angry grimace the little girl has on her face as she wanders around the castle is downright adorable.

My expectations were pretty low going in since the studios last game, Tormentum - Dark Sorrow, is a relatively bland and easy adventure game apart from its Giger/Beksinski artistic influences. TSIOQUE clearly had a lot of love and passion poured into it.

Good to hear this. I backed the kickstarter a few years ago because it looked cute and will probably give it a go this weekend. I haven't had much luck with getting into point-and-clicks in the last few years, though. Think the last one I played all the way through was Fran Bow.