Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I can't stop giving rimjobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I can't stop slaughtering any kibble eating animals because I don't want to make kibble for them.

Also I've seen references to having prisoners do work (or have slaves?). Is this a mod or are you guys recruiting people and keeping them housed in a restricted area?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i can't stop rimming Playworld

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Sten Freak posted:

I can't stop slaughtering any kibble eating animals because I don't want to make kibble for them.

Also I've seen references to having prisoners do work (or have slaves?). Is this a mod or are you guys recruiting people and keeping them housed in a restricted area?

Its a mod to have prisoners work.

Also for kibble animals you can just make a corpse freezer behind a door and zone it for only animals and theyll just straight up eat all those tribal corpses that take so much time to cremate/bury.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Forced labour mod, Cthulhu cults mod, feed prisoners strange kibble and throw them in the pit

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
God drat is Abigail stupid. Every time I give her a rock she says "thanks, how did you know I was hungry?". Can't wait to install her bionic brain.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kharnifex posted:

Forced labour mod, Cthulhu cults mod, feed prisoners strange kibble and throw them in the pit

Do these need a new game?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Jose posted:

Do these need a new game?

No, but you should start one anyway.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

I have a weird habit in Rimworld to grow my base/colony population to as large as possible. This usually leads to a cascading failure of the food supply when it's the middle of winter and I've hunted and foraged every living thing on the map and my hydroponics can't produce fast enough.

And I still do it every game.

I think my record is 20. Eventually, if everyone hasn't starved to death already, I get bored and build the spaceship to get an ending.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Things get out of hand with so many, but if you use zone restriction, dedicated tasks, set bed times etc, it's ok.

Good bedrooms are a must

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

everyone in my current place has a grand sculpture in their bedroom to keep them happy

i really recommend the rim cuisine mod. It adds a bunch of new stuff but importantly a new cooking place that lets you meal 10 meals at a time so you're not constantly empty on them

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is there a good curated list of mods?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

a7m2 posted:

Is there a good curated list of mods?
I don't know about good, but these are fairly useful and what I have. I don't enjoy changing vanilla experience too much with combat mods etc so these won't be huge game changers but are just nice.

Share The Load - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1356838246 - Multiple people can deliver resources to a blueprint at the same time.

Haul To Stack - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949498803 (1.0 compatible afaik) - Pawns will fill up a tile before starting a new stack instead of tons of tiny 1-item stacks of bullshit.

Sometimes Raids Go Wrong - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1551336515 - adds extra roll to raids for something hilariously unfortuante to happen to the raiders when they show up

More Furniture - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1544944259 - if you like playing dollhouse. I like playing dollhouse.

Vegetable Garden (various) - https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...dtags%5B%5D=1.0 - If you want the full commune experience, adds a ton of new plants/foods/items all around gardens.

Rimhair - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725949967 - who doesn't want hotter pawns?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jose posted:

rim cuisine

this is a much better term than 'eating rear end'

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

tetsuo posted:

I don't know about good, but these are fairly useful and what I have. I don't enjoy changing vanilla experience too much with combat mods etc so these won't be huge game changers but are just nice.

Share The Load - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1356838246 - Multiple people can deliver resources to a blueprint at the same time.

Haul To Stack - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949498803 (1.0 compatible afaik) - Pawns will fill up a tile before starting a new stack instead of tons of tiny 1-item stacks of bullshit.

Sometimes Raids Go Wrong - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1551336515 - adds extra roll to raids for something hilariously unfortuante to happen to the raiders when they show up

More Furniture - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1544944259 - if you like playing dollhouse. I like playing dollhouse.

Vegetable Garden (various) - https://steamcommunity.com/workshop...dtags%5B%5D=1.0 - If you want the full commune experience, adds a ton of new plants/foods/items all around gardens.

Rimhair - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725949967 - who doesn't want hotter pawns?

I forget the name of them but there are two mods that add 16 new trader types so that you arent dealing with the same 4 traders and can actually offload some of your wierd poo poo sometimes. Theres also one that makes orbital traders come by more often than once a year. A nice way to actually sell the stupid amounts of poo poo you start stockpiling

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
in my last rimworld game i made my settlers teenagers and gave one of them an ai implant, the ai went nuts and made her randomly castrate the only person she didnt hate with a kukri. she later died when my 15yr old doctor, who had only one remaining limb due to dinosaur attacks tried to perform the brain surgery to remove the ai. the ai was sold to tribals for an extremely large amount of cat meat

the doctor did successfully install functional prosthetic reproductive organs made of wood tho so thank heaven for small miracles right

:rimworld:

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

The vast randomness of the game and the multiple ways poo poo can go right and wrong is always an amazing story to share with friends that will make you sound like a crazy person.

I play almost the same game everytime, same biome, same type of settlement, same group, I'm really stuck in my ways but hey its how I have fun

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

One mod I like is the metal not burning one.

Prepare carefully is good if you have a specific thing you want to do with your game

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Rimworld seems like the kind of game I could lose myself in for weeks, but the art style is just such a huge turn-off that I have never bothered trying it :(

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Since when have video games been art?

Aside from DF making it into a museum.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yakuza 0 is art

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat it Jose, now I can't stop playing Rimword.

i gave it a shot because of this thread last night. it ate up my whole night before i even realized it, and its going to do so again and again for many nights to come. i could never quite get into Dwarf Fortress, but Rimworld has an interface just good enough to be playable for me (though believe me it is fairly obtuse getting started!). i really love that you get fine control of your characters during combat; its like fallout tactics meets the Sims

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

For fucks sake cat herd, stop drinking all my beer, you are literally half brain-dead from boozing it up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

WarpedNaba posted:

For fucks sake cat herd, stop drinking all my beer, you are literally half brain-dead from boozing it up.

if you make a zone that does not include your beer stash and assign them to it they will stop drinking it

this presumes you actually want to stop this however

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I thought WarpedNaba was playing Dwarf Fortress and got very confused.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

One cat accidentally turned itself into a shirt via alcohol-induced brain death. God only imagines what it would smell like.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Edit: the rim cuisine joke has already been made. Carry on

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 9, 2018

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Beeswax posted:

Rimworld seems like the kind of game I could lose myself in for weeks, but the art style is just such a huge turn-off that I have never bothered trying it :(

I was turned off by the art too but this thread made me give it a chance and it plays better than it looks like it would. It's fun

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rutibex posted:

drat it Jose, now I can't stop playing Rimword.

i gave it a shot because of this thread last night. it ate up my whole night before i even realized it, and its going to do so again and again for many nights to come. i could never quite get into Dwarf Fortress, but Rimworld has an interface just good enough to be playable for me (though believe me it is fairly obtuse getting started!). i really love that you get fine control of your characters during combat; its like fallout tactics meets the Sims

its really good i thought you'd like it. get the hospitality mod so you can have guests come visit you can recruit

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i started a standard game with three survivors, and everything was working out fine for a while. I was growing crops, hunting food, and i had a nice freezer to store everything.

eventually a raider named "Eagle" came to attack me, but i shot him with a rifle and was able to capture him. i wasn't super familiar with the mechanics so i ended up locking him in a cold room (naked, I couldn't figure out how to give his clothes back). he slept on the stone floor and i had my guys try to break down his resistance. i guess being locked in a cold stone room for 2 months got on his nerves, so he went berserk and i had to shoot him again. he survived and i put him back in his room.

then a random drifter decided to join my compound. they didn't ask or anything, they just showed up and the game said they were and evil scientist and would get mad if i banished them. so i let them stay. unfortunately this evil scientist person didn't like doing anything except research and art and they also were very snooty about esthetics. it was fine for a while but eventually some kind of "heat wave" came up and my freezer stopped working correctly. i only had one person who could build machines, and they were shot in a recent raid and in bed. this meant that no one could install a second freezer and all of my stored meat rotted away. this pissed off the "evil scientist" enough (who was too snooty to cook they own meals and ate some raw meat) that they locked themselves in their room. no one was feeding "Eagle" either, and he went berserk again and broke out of his cage. he grabbed a machine pistol left behind by a raider and proceeded to kill everyone in the compound.

only one person survived, the guy who was out hunting to replace the rotten meat. I love this game!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Action-Bastard posted:

The vast randomness of the game and the multiple ways poo poo can go right and wrong is always an amazing story to share with friends that will make you sound like a crazy person.

I play almost the same game everytime, same biome, same type of settlement, same group, I'm really stuck in my ways but hey its how I have fun

I'm the same way and it spans many games.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

I haven't had anything top a 90 year old raider having a heart attack halfway across the map and die before attacking me, yet

get me HQ!
Jul 28, 2010

Aziz... spark that shit nigga
what have they added to rimworld in the last uhhh 2-3 years, I played a while ago and thought it was cool, did development go in an interesting direction or did they add bullshit?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Some of this you may have seen but off the top of my head since A15 or so ...
better pet taming, better drugs, better (smarter) raiders. roads, water/bridges, quests (item stash/rescue/raids) and caravans, more pawn interactions to build stories, better pawn ai re: friendly fire, way more personality traits etc.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

get me HQ! posted:

what have they added to rimworld in the last uhhh 2-3 years, I played a while ago and thought it was cool, did development go in an interesting direction or did they add bullshit?

So much has been added and the mods add even more fun. Do try it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Rimworld actually looks really good. I've wanted to play this kind of game forever but everything I had tried was either pre-alpha steam greenlight scams (towns) or user hostile enough to the point even I couldn't play it (dwarf fortress)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Methanar posted:

Rimworld actually looks really good. I've wanted to play this kind of game forever but everything I had tried was either pre-alpha steam greenlight scams (towns) or user hostile enough to the point even I couldn't play it (dwarf fortress)

ugh, I also got Towns
Rimworld has been consistently good

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I like DF, but the framerate chugs out before I get to do the stuff I like.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/C3HUPr4.png
Not my biggest base but not my worst either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
You dudes are making me wanna launch up the dew.

• Locked thread