Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Arkham Origins has an incredibly sloppy challenge system. Basically there are 4 challenge-types with 15 tiers each. Each time you complete a tier you can complete the next one, and only the next one. If you stop a crime in every district before getting the challenge to do so, then it won't count your progress. What's worse is that you can completely miss out on the Stealth challenges because you have to clear out Predator rooms in a certain way, and Predator rooms do not reset, so gently caress you and go to NG+. I don't know why they could just let retry bosses and predator-rooms using your bat-computer.

What's galling is that Arkham City had a similar system except nothing was missable and nothing was tiered.

I don't know why all the skills in the tree are gated in a stupid way. Why do I have to own the glue-grenade before I can do silent takedowns quicker?

I appreciate that they let you fight Deathstroke one-on-one but I wish I didn't have learn a completely new set of rules just for this fight alone.

I did think it was funny how important the Electrocutioner is to the plot.

Origins is my favorite Arkham game, and Electrocutioner one of favorite villains of all time. Every so often, I go through my steam account and sell off those trading card things I've accrued. I will never sell Electrocutioner's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

John Murdoch posted:

You can sell him the two Dawnguard-specific Elder Scrolls, but the one from the original game can only be sold off to the librarian and only once.

Aren't quest items actually weightless, despite having weights in the menu? Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with a mod but I think that's how it works by default.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Game wins the award for most I've paid (full price) for a game that I've played the least before shelving it forever (about 20 minutes, barely left the tutorial area)

I'm sure it's fine if you like MMOs but I had it sold to be as a game that even mainline Elder Scrolls fans could enjoy solo and loving lol at that

I had fun with it solo, but I guess it depends on what you're coming to Elder Scrolls for. I also played it well after launch and people tell me it was pretty bad at launch.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ESO is one of those miracle games that had an absolutely miserable launch/early life, stuck through it and managed to make a pretty incredible 180.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Origins is my favorite Arkham game, and Electrocutioner one of favorite villains of all time. Every so often, I go through my steam account and sell off those trading card things I've accrued. I will never sell Electrocutioner's.
Origins is the most endearing I think, because its a pain in the arse to play but also has the best writing in the series (not a huge achievement).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Snake Maze posted:

Aren't quest items actually weightless, despite having weights in the menu? Maybe I'm getting it mixed up with a mod but I think that's how it works by default.

Well look at that, you're right. I had found conflicting reports about this and could've sworn I was 20 pounds heavier after picking it up, but testing it by dumping my entire inventory proves that it is in fact weightless. Even double-checked to see if the heavy armor weight reduction perk (along with its own ever-present bug where it deactivates upon loading a save until you open the inventory again) might've been causing weirdness but nope, all's good.

On the plus side, this experiment has revealed that the overwhelming majority of my weight capacity is being eaten up by potions, most of which I'm likely never going to actually use on account of there being like 20 different fiddly types of poisons for some reason along with utility potions like better pickpocketing. Plus I've slowly accrued an outrageous number of healing potions by reaching nigh-invincibility to everything but the strongest enemies.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think they patched in weightless quest items post-release because it was easy to end up stuck with a bunch at once (and there were probably buggy quest items.)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arkham Origins

Calendar-Man is in the game but he just fucks off after the opening. We don't encounter him again but we do get to beat up some guy called... Bird in a sidequest. It's baffling we waste a quest on a complete nobody, like how in Knight we arrest this random loving firefighter and throw him in the same cell as Scarecrow and Two-Face.

Since the Origins studio didn't create the Rocksteady combat they really shouldn't have hosed with the formula perfected in City. Combat is made worse because you can't cancel your own attacks, which means you will get hit by enemy attacks despite pressing the counter-button, and then combat gets trivialised anyway when you get the shock-gloves powerup.

Bruce Wayne learns the lesson that he should trust in his allies, which he will forget entirely in the last two chronological games. Commissioner Gordon spends the entire game being a huge bitch about everything; "Uh! We could have stopped that bridge-bomber without you. Uh! You killed that steroid-abusing luchador, you're a murderer."

Looking back none of the games had particularly good stories, only good presentation. Asylum never lost the plot but the last quarter of the game sucked, City juggled two plots that had nothing in common, Origins ditches its interesting premise halfway through, and Knight relies far too heavily on allies getting kidnapped and recycling the Joker again.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Nov 4, 2018

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

Well look at that, you're right. I had found conflicting reports about this and could've sworn I was 20 pounds heavier after picking it up, but testing it by dumping my entire inventory proves that it is in fact weightless. Even double-checked to see if the heavy armor weight reduction perk (along with its own ever-present bug where it deactivates upon loading a save until you open the inventory again) might've been causing weirdness but nope, all's good.

On the plus side, this experiment has revealed that the overwhelming majority of my weight capacity is being eaten up by potions, most of which I'm likely never going to actually use on account of there being like 20 different fiddly types of poisons for some reason along with utility potions like better pickpocketing. Plus I've slowly accrued an outrageous number of healing potions by reaching nigh-invincibility to everything but the strongest enemies.

every time i drop off my crud i dump every potion except for the 5 strongest healing, stamina and mana potions. i usually float at 65-70 after i unload everything except my armor, weapons, 15 potions, a few torches and some gems(i offer them at shrines i come across)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Little king's story is on crack for making me have to hit down again and again during fast combar to select that, yes, I do want to sent my super soldiers at this huge boss and not my farmers and chefs. Am I missing a faster way to do it besides scrolling through every class in a battle where I use my soldiers 95% of the time? I'm on original wii

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't know. I loved all of the Arkham games and even the lesser ones were really good.

Contributing: loving around with the 1st Tomb Raider reboot after playing Rise, which I really liked, and it's good but feels oddly linear, especially for a Tomb Raider game. Playing them backwards showed me how much the developers expanded on it and spread the world out a bit.

Also, I hit the half way point with it and had all my weapons maxed out, wondering wtf I was supposed to do with all this extra salvage gear and then got all my poo poo stripped away from me so i guess the second half is all new stuff. I still can't get the "dodge and throw dirt/gravel" move to work though.

I hate...HATE qte's during cutscenes too in any game. God forbid I crack a beer, hit the bong or get up to take a leak, game. Nope. Need to mash the Y button out of nowhere.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

I hate...HATE qte's during cutscenes too in any game. God forbid I crack a beer, hit the bong or get up to take a leak, game. Nope. Need to mash the Y button out of nowhere.

Huge props for the Spider-Man devs for giving you the option to straight up get rid of all QTEs before you even begin the game. Also skipping any puzzles you're not fond of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Back in my day we died 20 times to Krauser and we LIKED IT :corsair:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just got a new tablet and decided to download XCOM: Enemy Within, and man was the early-game rush to get full satellite coverage rough. If a country has full panic at the end of the month, they leave the XCOM project forever denying you the income from coverage as well as the bonus for giving every country on a continent coverage.

Once or twice a month, you have “abductions” where aliens land on three countries without satellites on different continents, and you choose one to respond to, each giving different rewards. You reduce panic in the country you complete the mission in, while it increases across the continents of the countries you didn’t head to. On higher difficulties, that adds 3 of the 5 pips on the panic bar! So this can screw you over in a country where you already have satellite coverage, since the only way to reduce panic at-will is to give a country coverage. Beyond that, you just hope for a panic-reducing mission in a panicked country.

And to launch satellites, you have to have uplink facilities, and to build uplink facilities, you need sufficient power, and to add new facilities of any kind, you need a certain number of engineers. You can get more engineers by building workshops, but that of course requires money and power, which you need to spend on the previous things. You can build satellite nexuses which provide more uplink capacity than normal, but those are more expensive, and require UFO flight computers from downed UFOs, which may be damaged in the crash.

You can get engineers or money as potential rewards from abduction missions, but you also have to balance that with the panic increases if the ideal reward doesn’t appear in the ideal country.

That’s a whole lot of RNG to avoid a panic spiral, even if you ace every mission.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Nov 4, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FactsAreUseless posted:

Perhaps Undertale isn't coherent enough to be about anything.

It’s about the brilliant scientist       and his attempts to                 
        

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 03:15 on Nov 4, 2018

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Blood Sally posted:

i never got the undertale chastises you for playing a certain way vibe. i did whatever i wanted when i wanted to. sometimes certain characters chastised me because i murdered their friends. that makes sense in universe though.

i said it elsewhere (maybe in this very thread), but players are very bad at separating in character criticism with out of character criticism, and so are game designers

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Leal posted:

Prepare for your death, Leon!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

The game only has two non tapping QTE prompts and doesnt check for wrong inputs. You can just mash A+B and L+R and auto pass until it asks you to tap, which never changes its button requests

Still the worst thing in the game.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dr Christmas posted:

I just got a new tablet and decided to download XCOM: Enemy Within, and man was the early-game rush to get full satellite coverage rough. If a country has full panic at the end of the month, they leave the XCOM project forever denying you the income from coverage as well as the bonus for giving every country on a continent coverage.

Once or twice a month, you have “abductions” where aliens land on three countries without satellites on different continents, and you choose one to respond to, each giving different rewards. You reduce panic in the country you complete the mission in, while it increases across the continents of the countries you didn’t head to. On higher difficulties, that adds 3 of the 5 pips on the panic bar! So this can screw you over in a country where you already have satellite coverage, since the only way to reduce panic at-will is to give a country coverage. Beyond that, you just hope for a panic-reducing mission in a panicked country.

And to launch satellites, you have to have uplink facilities, and to build uplink facilities, you need sufficient power, and to add new facilities of any kind, you need a certain number of engineers. You can get more engineers by building workshops, but that of course requires money and power, which you need to spend on the previous things. You can build satellite nexuses which provide more uplink capacity than normal, but those are more expensive, and require UFO flight computers from downed UFOs, which may be damaged in the crash.

You can get engineers or money as potential rewards from abduction missions, but you also have to balance that with the panic increases if the ideal reward doesn’t appear in the ideal country.

That’s a whole lot of RNG to avoid a panic spiral, even if you ace every mission.
You forgot the part where you can't build the satellites unless you've got an uplink facility to put them in, and both the facilities and the satellites take goddamn forever to make.

I have never finished Xcom: EW pretty much entirely because I get hosed over by the satellite failure spiral every time.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

the physical feeling you should have during a typical playthough of xcom is impending panic attack

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's how I usually feel anyways.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
i just cheat engine myself a bunch of money cause gently caress you i play how i want :thurman:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yardbomb posted:

ESO is one of those miracle games that had an absolutely miserable launch/early life, stuck through it and managed to make a pretty incredible 180.

A thing dragging ESO down is that there is no sane way to buy the Morrowind DLC anymore if you own the base game on Steam. To get both the story/zone content and the class you need to spend like $45 in ~~crowns~~ in their cash shop. Meanwhile, anyone can go and buy the base game right now with Morrowind for $20, except gently caress you if you already own it.

Zenimax blows.

e: it looks like Steam has a "permanently remove this game from my account" option though so I might blast it and buy it again like a chump. Vvardenfell is cool.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Nov 4, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know Nifelheim is optional but Jesus Christ this is just a terrible gimmick

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

Little king's story is on crack for making me have to hit down again and again during fast combar to select that, yes, I do want to sent my super soldiers at this huge boss and not my farmers and chefs. Am I missing a faster way to do it besides scrolling through every class in a battle where I use my soldiers 95% of the time? I'm on original wii

Nope, basically anytime you want to attack something you have to prep by tapping through every single one of your can-opener classes to get to your soldiers.

They tried to use the same control scheme for cycling as pikmin except pikmin 2 just had 5 kinds of minions, not 15 or however many LKS has, and all of the minions are competent at fighting in pikmin so when you just want something dead and elemental damage isn’t involved then there’s nothing wrong with just throwing your blues. Doesn’t really work that way in LKS.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Enter the Gungeon has inconsistent visual communication of its rules/cues and it really hurts the experience. The enemy tells are sometimes a sprite flicker, sometimes an animation, sometimes a halo, and the timing is all over the place; your power ups sometimes make you invincible and sometimes make you almost invincible and it's often not clear which. Also the pixel art is weirdly incoherent as of update 2.0, which is a shame because the super cute consistent faces were a major draw.

Still play it on the regular tho

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
When I got ESO I also got Morrowind. The thing about Morrowind is that it directly drops you into that DLC. You should never have to look up how to start the main quest of a game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate how RDR2 restricts you to your slow as hell walk speed when you’re in camp. It feels like you’re walking through molasses, it’s obnoxious. It also has a crapload of interactables near your cot so you have to find a sweet spot to let it bring up the prompts to sleep.

A lot of the game is good but so many complaints about how it plays are spot on.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Samuringa posted:

Huge props for the Spider-Man devs for giving you the option to straight up get rid of all QTEs before you even begin the game. Also skipping any puzzles you're not fond of.

That's very good, but what I really want is the option to skip MJ/Miles scenes, at least on a second playthrough. Such a blemish on an otherwise great game (in a genre that doesn't normally grab me), especially going back to redo them. I want to go back and run through the game again, but I just can't stomach them for a while.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
Ok, I have a bit of a different issue with Darkest Dungeon than most people. I never found the game overly difficult, though ruthlessly unforgiving. The "never again" mechanic was just an extension of most of the game's systems, that is " don't use the same people over and over because they'll get stressed out" . My biggest problem is the Vestal.

The Vestal is the best class in the game by a country mile. She's the only class with an AOE heal, she's got a stun that raises the light meter, and she's got an attack that hits every enemy position, in addition to healing herself. This is a problem because every time I build a party, it feels like one of the slots always goes to the Vestal, and my options for building a party are severely limited because one quarter of any potential party is effectively already spoken for.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Abhorrence posted:

This is a problem because every time I build a party, it feels like one of the slots always goes to the Vestal, and my options for building a party are severely limited because one quarter of any potential party is effectively already spoken for.

Way back when the problem was, at one time, any slot not used on a Hellion was a wasted slot :v:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Abhorrence posted:

Ok, I have a bit of a different issue with Darkest Dungeon than most people. I never found the game overly difficult, though ruthlessly unforgiving. The "never again" mechanic was just an extension of most of the game's systems, that is " don't use the same people over and over because they'll get stressed out" . My biggest problem is the Vestal.

The Vestal is the best class in the game by a country mile. She's the only class with an AOE heal, she's got a stun that raises the light meter, and she's got an attack that hits every enemy position, in addition to healing herself. This is a problem because every time I build a party, it feels like one of the slots always goes to the Vestal, and my options for building a party are severely limited because one quarter of any potential party is effectively already spoken for.

I had the same issue until someone told me about the Arbalest + Occultist combo. They're a lot less versatile, but Battlefield Bandage (+20% to healing) negates those low value heals that the Occultist gives out sometimes. And occasionally it crits and you can bring your main tank from near death to full hp.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I find it very satisfying and I hope you have other things which bring joy to your life. Truly we are all different people living on a rock in space.
I didn't hate it, I just didn't think it came together in a super interesting way. There's some good parts though, I just thought they were greater than the sum.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Takezio posted:

When I got ESO I also got Morrowind. The thing about Morrowind is that it directly drops you into that DLC. You should never have to look up how to start the main quest of a game.
It's actually a huge improvement from the way ESO used to start, but the game doesn't tell the player some key things sometimes. But if you really want some obtuse MMO bullshit try Black Desert Online, a game made entirely by and for Korean prisoners.

Akrabbim
Aug 10, 2003
It means 'scorpion' in Hebrew, and rhymes with 'bakrabbim'. Don't even ask...
It may have been said already, but I was about 20k posts behind, so I decided to jump ahead, but...

Dead Cells is a really good game. Mainly, the control is like silk. Some of the weapons seem utterly worthless, but other than that, the game's fun. Except for the final boss. For some reason, this boss seems to have vastly more health and cause way more damage, etc. And since it's a rogue-like, you go back to the beginning of the game when you die. So you can't even practice him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Akrabbim posted:

It may have been said already, but I was about 20k posts behind, so I decided to jump ahead, but...

Dead Cells is a really good game. Mainly, the control is like silk. Some of the weapons seem utterly worthless, but other than that, the game's fun. Except for the final boss. For some reason, this boss seems to have vastly more health and cause way more damage, etc. And since it's a rogue-like, you go back to the beginning of the game when you die. So you can't even practice him.
Like many early access games it wound up wildly overtuned by a vocal contingent of hardcore fans.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like many early access games it wound up wildly overtuned by a vocal contingent of hardcore fans.

In what way? I wanted to buy this on Switch

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Only really in that one critical way - bosses have way too much health and are boring slogs. I otherwise love the game but barely play it because that one dumb roadblock is just too frustrating to bother with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think everybody's impression of Dead Cells is that it would have been a lot better if they just imported its combat and stages into a more traditional Metroidvania. It really gains nothing positive from being a roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What ruins Dead Cells for me is that every few levels there is at least one enemy with inconsistent hitboxes and attack animations. The game is too punishing for it to feel okay when you die to seemingly nothing.