Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Ccs posted:

I feel like this is the biggest issue though. If you're starting out in the industry you're not going to have art director credentials. What training would get you to the point where you can be the guy telling the cheaper labor what to do? Would you study 3d or would you study concept-art?

That's a great question. Companies are still very much hiring and developing junior talent. There are still a lot of hidden drawbacks and costs associated with offshore work, and junior artists in-house are still very much needed. So it's not like companies are only hiring for senior level talent.

For something actionable, the best advice I can give, and the advice I give to most aspiring artists of any field is this:

Develop strong fundamentals.

Understand value structure, how to use light and shadow, have a strong understanding of color theory and how light works so that you understand basic things like the difference between direct and indirect light. Know how to use contrast, and repetition, when to align and not align things to lead the viewers eye to where you want it to go. There are many more fundamentals than that, but the greater point is that technology is always evolving and changing, but a good artist is a good artist regardless of what tool they choose to use. Software comes and goes, but fundamentals are forever.

I've given a few talks and presentations that go over other things that will help aspiring artists not only get a job, but to develop job security and to get those almighty promotions. I'd be happy to share some more of those speaking notes if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a thing I did a while back which is kind of fun cos kids can play on it
For those who are unfamiliar it's a small endangered Australian marsupial called a numbat, it was commissioned by a conversation group called Project Numbat
Modelled in ZBrush, mold cut out of foam with a 5 axis router and then cast in jesmonite by CDM studio in Perth

*edit* I changed the tail after those screengrabs, couldn't find any images of it though

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

EoinCannon posted:

Here's a thing I did a while back which is kind of fun cos kids can play on it
For those who are unfamiliar it's a small endangered Australian marsupial called a numbat, it was commissioned by a conversation group called Project Numbat
Modelled in ZBrush, mold cut out of foam with a 5 axis router and then cast in jesmonite by CDM studio in Perth

*edit* I changed the tail after those screengrabs, couldn't find any images of it though

When you do something like that in Zbrush, how do you know it's actually going to stand up and be stable when it's cast?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Listerine posted:

When you do something like that in Zbrush, how do you know it's actually going to stand up and be stable when it's cast?

As far as weight distribution and stuff I really have no idea, when it's something like this where it's a hollow shell with metal bracing through it I think you can get a way with a lot
I assume the sculptor I work with would tell me if there were any issues but it's never come up

The huge turtles I did were very flat to the ground so stability was never an issue

I just use zslice and clipRect to make sure the bottom and any parts that need to join flush are completely flat though

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Might be interesting to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLxfzR4mK70

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Gearman posted:

I've given a few talks and presentations that go over other things that will help aspiring artists not only get a job, but to develop job security and to get those almighty promotions. I'd be happy to share some more of those speaking notes if you're interested.

I'm interested but more from a "I want broader knowledge about the CG industry" perspective. I'm already in the industry but in an animation role, so it's more about fundamentals of movement and acting skills rather than light, shadow, etc. There are elements of composition and shape design animators have to look out for but not as much as those trying for art director roles down the line.

If you know what will help make a CG animation career job secure I'd like to know that though. Cause right now this is the current state of the industry:

https://twitter.com/timrudder/status/1055979390364868608

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on the animator. Most of the young ones absolutely are. :|

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ccs posted:

If you know what will help make a CG animation career job secure I'd like to know that though.

A: Be talented
B: Become a Houdini FX TD.
C:Don't be a jerk*

*There's exceptions to this unfortunately, but they're becoming a lot rarer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Listerine posted:

On Disney Infinity, the character artists would export their posed models into the game engine and flag them as physics objects to test if they could actually stand up. They said it was pretty accurate 90% of the time. The rest of the time the test 3d prints would show them.

mutata fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 2, 2018

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

mutata posted:

On Disney Infinity, the character artists would export their posed models into the game engine and flag them as physics objects to test if they could actually stand up. They said it was pretty accurate 90% of the time. The rest of the time the test 3d prints would show them.

Would they do stuff like subject them to simulated wind or hit them with other moving objects, or just see if they fell over due to center of mass issues?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Um, they were 4 inch toys, they just wanted them to stand up.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Does anyone have any recommendations on tutorials for Substance Painter/Designer? I'm interested in project based tuts, ones that take you through from start to finish, especially if they explain what's going on under the hood- not a huge fan of tutorials that spend lots of time explaining every tool and option in the GUI, rather learning by doing, if that makes sense. I don't mind paying for tutorials but I'm also not invested enough yet to shell say 300 dollars on a course.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Listerine posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on tutorials for Substance Painter/Designer? I'm interested in project based tuts, ones that take you through from start to finish, especially if they explain what's going on under the hood- not a huge fan of tutorials that spend lots of time explaining every tool and option in the GUI, rather learning by doing, if that makes sense. I don't mind paying for tutorials but I'm also not invested enough yet to shell say 300 dollars on a course.

Gnomon has a few if you’re up for a subscription...

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/introduction-to-substance-painter-2018

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/demystifying-substance-designer

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Listerine posted:

The official Allegorithmic YouTube channel has a ton of start-to-finish tutorials available for free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_YRkDsJrQ

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Have you done the Gnomon courses? I bought some of their Zbrush DVDs maybe a decade ago and don't know how the quality of their training is anymore.

Oldstench posted:

The official Allegorithmic YouTube channel has a ton of start-to-finish tutorials available for free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk_YRkDsJrQ

Thanks I don't know how I missed that.

I also have a Houdini question for the experts here. How would I go about hollowing out an object that is deforming in shape? Is there an easy way to do this or would I have to get dirty writing VEX code? Essentially I would like a result that I get when I hollow an object in Zbrush, where the thickness is more or less uniform all around the object; but since the object is changing shape the ideas I've had aren't quite getting me there.

For example I can't simply scale down the object and use it in a boolean subtract because the changing shape of the object screws up the relative position of the scaled down model to the original and I start getting regions that disappear entirely due to the changing overlap of the two models.

I feel like perhaps using volumes or the Iso offset node might be the way to go but I don't know much about using them and I'm getting weird results from the vdb nodes I'm using.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

turn it into a vdb, scale it down with reshape, boolean it with volume mix, convert to polygons.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

ImplicitAssembler posted:

turn it into a vdb, scale it down with reshape, boolean it with volume mix, convert to polygons.

Thank you so much, this worked perfectly- didn't find the volume mix node because I was just looking at vdb nodes and that one is in a different tab menu.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Funniest bit of vfx inside joke humor I've ever seen: https://youtu.be/_NTsbspMXaQ

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ccs posted:

Funniest bit of vfx inside joke humor I've ever seen: https://youtu.be/_NTsbspMXaQ

drat that guy is awesome

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ccs posted:

That was great. Reminded me a little of Dono.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BMtWFkF3EM

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

^Hahaha Dono will always be the best.

Disney guy testing his rig with some weird controller thingy:
https://twitter.com/soyposmoderno/status/1059366956501884928

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That's a remote for a drone, looks like a cendence. Not really sure what that brings to the table - he's mapped some things to odd buttons, doesn't look very usable.
Maybe I'm missing something not being an animator, I've used a 360 controller to drive cars in max but I would have thought the point of something like that is to record near or 1/4 time inputs live, that seems like control over too many things to actually be useful. A regular gamepad would keep it pretty focused.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 6, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A radio set like that has 6+ analog axes that are controlled by dials or joysticks that can be set to a position and left there while you play with something else. For the kind of work he's doing, I'd imagine this is far superior to an Xbox controller or whatever where each stick/trigger springs back to its resting position as soon as it's released.

I don't think it's necessarily about doing it live as much as just having quick access to a whole pile of different controls that would otherwise just be a bunch of onscreen sliders.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont forget to t-pose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zl07Zgy6tA&t=183s

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Who knew being a mime was still a job option in 2018

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Finally got around to putting up some of my work on Red Dead Redemption 2!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EVLZXN

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I must be an idiot but I cannot figure out how to extrude all those open edges. If I have polygons selected, I can extrude it easily, but edges, no! Cmon Zbrush help me here!

Bridge the two almost works except it leaves out the pinkie. :v And this is a problem I keep running into anyway and I'd really like an answer

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

I must be an idiot but I cannot figure out how to extrude all those open edges. If I have polygons selected, I can extrude it easily, but edges, no! Cmon Zbrush help me here!

Bridge the two almost works except it leaves out the pinkie. :v And this is a problem I keep running into anyway and I'd really like an answer

Looking through zmodeler it appears that only a few actions operate on the "hole" target, collapse and close, neither of which will extrude the edges out like shift+drag would do in max

Not sure you can do that without capping the hole then extruding the resulting polys

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Argh unweld almost does it but it only does auto loops which rules out complex shapes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there nothing like a loft command that would let you connect those edges together?

Or even like just a poly-from-planar-edges command?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah you can bridge it but it'll do a best guess. All I want is to extrude those edges so I can tidy up then connect.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah you can bridge it but it'll do a best guess. All I want is to extrude those edges so I can tidy up then connect.

So, you can't do what this video shows?
https://pixologic.com/zclassroom/lesson/edge-extrude

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That doesnt do what I want which is to create a new polygon at an open edge. This is a zbrush specific issue. If I have a polygon selected and ctrl-drag it, it'll create extra polygons between where I'm dragging it and its original location. I want it to do the same thing for edges, because in cases like these it'd be incredibly useful.

Zmodeller's Extrude Edge function does something completely different and idiotic.

Current solution, fill in the hole with a new polygroup, ctrl-drag it, then delete it. :|

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 7, 2018

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

cubicle gangster posted:

That's a remote for a drone, looks like a cendence. Not really sure what that brings to the table - he's mapped some things to odd buttons, doesn't look very usable.
Maybe I'm missing something not being an animator, I've used a 360 controller to drive cars in max but I would have thought the point of something like that is to record near or 1/4 time inputs live, that seems like control over too many things to actually be useful. A regular gamepad would keep it pretty focused.

Probably something for the parks via Imagineering, since you see operators ... er cast members running around with remotes like that in the background operating stuff, like the animated trashcan thing. Maybe something like that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ccs posted:

^Hahaha Dono will always be the best.

Disney guy testing his rig with some weird controller thingy:
https://twitter.com/soyposmoderno/status/1059366956501884928

If anybody is still wondering it's a Taranis x7s, pretty popular as a hobbyist drone racing remote, but capable of controlling any RC thing. It can't do the tilt control stuff though, I'm guessing thats from the phone? that part is neat

You could always plug one in to a PC for use as a game controller with a USB cable, but there was recently an update to the flight controller software Betaflight that lets a spare FC/RX plugged in through USB to work as a wireless link to the controller, so he could be using either of those methods. could probably also just have used a 360 controller.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 10, 2018

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Wrapping up the final stages of a new project we had in miami. This was me & 3 others, started feb/march of last year but we began very slowly plinking away at some assets while we worked on other things too. Ramped up in summer.
Completed 45 images in total - 15 of which are still not public, working on some VR for them of the residence right now too. It's looking likely we'll be doing VR of the entire building and the pool deck.

Posting 30 images is a bit much so here's a few for now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Looks beautiful, not much else to say

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

If anybody is still wondering it's a Taranis x7s, pretty popular as a hobbyist drone racing remote, but capable of controlling any RC thing. It can't do the tilt control stuff though, I'm guessing thats from the phone? that part is neat

You could always plug one in to a PC for use as a game controller with a USB cable, but there was recently an update to the flight controller software Betaflight that lets a spare FC/RX plugged in through USB to work as a wireless link to the controller, so he could be using either of those methods. could probably also just have used a 360 controller.

I worked on set a couple of times with Jim Henson guys for Honey Monster commercials and they used RC radios for his face.
They were hilarious. We had a very self-important art director (from the ad agency) hoovering around and the Henson guys would loudly go (after reading the 'script') "Who wrote this poo poo???" and the previously very self-important AD would quietly shuffle out of sight.
Granted this was erhh, 20 years ago, when animatronics was still cheaper than CG.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It still is - This is from a film we did in 2012. To be fair it looking a bit poo poo and obviously being a man in a suit was the entire point, it was a very old suit.

That's gabor & keith from dbox, one was on lips and mouth and the other was on eyes and brows. I'd not long moved to NY when we filmed this, it was my first project in the US... fun day out.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

working on some kind of cold war era battle rifle