Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

VorpalBunny posted:

But all my other annual fee cards get downgraded to the lower no-fee tier. I may keep my premium Venture card as I seem to be staying at many off-brand hotels booked via hotels.com so 10% off (aka 10x points) is very appealing.

In case you didn't know, the no-AF VentureOne gets that 10x too. All comes down to whether the slightly lower earning rate (11.25 'miles' per dollar vs 12 'miles' per dollar) on the amount you're spending at hotels.com is better than paying the AF, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

astral posted:

In case you didn't know, the no-AF VentureOne gets that 10x too. All comes down to whether the slightly lower earning rate (11.25 'miles' per dollar vs 12 'miles' per dollar) on the amount you're spending at hotels.com is better than paying the AF, of course.

Well hot drat! I wasn't going to worry about it until we got closer to the renewal date. But that's one more annual fee I won't have to worry about!

I have to downgrade my premium Jetblue card. It's going to hurt, I liked the massive miles bonuses when paying for Jetblue flights, but the $100 AF is certain where the increased checked bag fees are not, as I likely won't fly them this coming calendar year. I think, at the end of the day, the CSR will be our only AF card. Which is incredible, considering we have like 3 dozen cards between my husband and myself. Half are downgraded cards from premium to no AF, ie Delta, BofA, Hilton, etc.

We only really got into the card/points game a few years ago, when the CSR launched with the 100k signup. It's amazing to me how many people have truly crappy credit cards and never pay attention to all the free benefits and amazing options out there.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So the math is 450 AF - $300 credit = $150 credit. 150/.03 = $5000. So I'd need to spend around $5000 to make up for the fee.

My typical travel is 300/month *12 = $3600. I can't guarantee the other $1400, so maybe it's not worth it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So the math is 450 AF - $300 credit = $150 credit. 150/.03 = $5000. So I'd need to spend around $5000 to make up for the fee.

My typical travel is 300/month *12 = $3600. I can't guarantee the other $1400, so maybe it's not worth it.

My recollection is that the effective rate for points is more akin to 4.5% due to the 50% redemption bonus (may be more or less if you transfer). But the real question here is whether it beats out a basic 2% or 3% cashback card, which is the true baseline (as opposed to breaking even overall).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vox Nihili posted:

My recollection is that the effective rate for points is more akin to 4.5% due to the 50% redemption bonus (may be more or less if you transfer). But the real question here is whether it beats out a basic 2% or 3% cashback card, which is the true baseline (as opposed to breaking even overall).

I have the Barclay Uber card. It's 3% on travel. The best part is the points post as soon as the charge, no waiting for a statement cycle. I can buy a $3 ticket and see how it posts.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Costco card is 3% on travel 4% on gas :getin:

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have the Barclay Uber card. It's 3% on travel. The best part is the points post as soon as the charge, no waiting for a statement cycle. I can buy a $3 ticket and see how it posts.

I may be pedantic but it seems a bit more restrictive: Amtrak wouldn't qualify for the 3% as the Uber card defines travel as airfare and hotels only.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
If you just compare to a basic 2% cb card like Citi double cash, you have to spend $6k on travel and dining to breakeven on CSR if you value the points at 1.5c, and get no value out of the travel insurance or priority pass.

$6k = $150 * (0.045 - 0.02)

There are some cards which do better than 2% as outlined, but that's the basic math.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 6, 2018

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I was lucky enough to catch the Citi Doublecash signup on the tail end of the $150 signup bonus if you spend $500 in the first three months and that should be posting for me in a couple of days.

I'm looking at other cards with no annual fees and spending-based signup bonuses - is there anything better out there right now for that than the AmEx Cash Magnet $150 if you spend $1,000 in your first three months + $100 if you spend an additional $6,500 in your first 12 months?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Costco card is 3% on travel 4% on gas :getin:

Only 4% back at Costco gas stations though, 1% everywhere else.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Sirotan posted:

:wrong:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can you link me where you see that? Cuz this tells me otherwise:

https://www.costco.com/credit-card.html#legal

quote:

Earning Costco Cash Rewards on Purchases: You'll earn Costco Cash Rewards for purchases using your Card Account, minus returns and refunds, as follows:

4% cash back on eligible gas worldwide, including gas at Costco, for the first $7,000 per year in gas purchases and then 1% thereafter.

Certain Non-Qualifying Purchases. You will only earn 1% cash back, not 4%, for gas purchased at superstores, supermarkets, convenience stores and warehouse clubs other than Costco or for fuel used for non-automobile purposes.

Edit: lmao nevermind, I read that first paragraph about 8 times and still somehow failed to comprehend what it was telling me. I'm an idiot but will probably still keep driving the extra mile or two for cheaper Costco gas. Still excludes a huge number of gas stations from the 4% back though.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 5, 2018

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
They must have just added that last bolder bit clarifying what wasn’t included as a qualifying gas station because I was searching forever to the point of complaining. I believe I get it at the Shell that also gives me a slight discount, but then some days it’s over 20 cents more per gallon than the place where I don’t get a rebate.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Something Offal posted:

I may be pedantic but it seems a bit more restrictive: Amtrak wouldn't qualify for the 3% as the Uber card defines travel as airfare and hotels only.

That appears to be the case:

I figure then NJT also doesn't count as travel.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That appears to be the case:

I figure then NJT also doesn't count as travel.

That seems to make sense as a train is a competitor to taking an Uber. I’m sure you can’t get parking or gas or rental cars as travel either.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

I was lucky enough to catch the Citi Doublecash signup on the tail end of the $150 signup bonus if you spend $500 in the first three months and that should be posting for me in a couple of days.

I'm looking at other cards with no annual fees and spending-based signup bonuses - is there anything better out there right now for that than the AmEx Cash Magnet $150 if you spend $1,000 in your first three months + $100 if you spend an additional $6,500 in your first 12 months?

Strictly signup bonus around those lines? BoA has a $200 back after 500 spend:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/cash-back-credit-card/

or 25k points (~$250) towards travel with the https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/travel-rewards-credit-card/

Chase also has a couple of 150 back on 500 if you don't have any of those. And a $500 on $4,000 if you're eligible for the chase sapphire preferred (no AF first year, then product change it to one of the Freedoms or something). If you go for any of those Chase cards, find a family member or friend with one to snag a referral link (they'll get $100).

astral fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 6, 2018

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I need a no foreign transaction fee cashback card to cover about $400 misc. monthly spend abroad.

Assuming merchant categories work out, can anyone think of anything better than the Savor One?

Discover isn't widely accepted where I'd use the card.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I need a no foreign transaction fee cashback card to cover about $400 misc. monthly spend abroad.

Assuming merchant categories work out, can anyone think of anything better than the Savor One?

Discover isn't widely accepted where I'd use the card.

Uber Visa?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-cash-credit-card-sign-up-bonuses/

Keep in mind that some cards waive the annual fee the first year and allow you to product change to a non annual fee card before the fee will hit. Each card has a full review/thread, do if read them and the comments before opening each.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Power of Pecota posted:

I would suggest the Capital One Savor card first, or the Chase Sapphire Reserve. Those are the pickiest ones about multiple credit cards.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, somehow I completely overlooked this one but it seems objectively better in every way. Thanks!

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I have a credit score of 610. What is a good card for me, and what should I be looking for? APR and annual fees?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I have a credit score of 610. What is a good card for me, and what should I be looking for? APR and annual fees?

You're going to need a higher credit score to qualify for the top-tier cards.

You could try for CapOne or Discover. Both seem to be friendlier to people with low credit scores.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
From what I'm reading, if I add an authorized user to my CC, and I have excellent credit (long credit history, no bad marks, high credit limits), I can help improve their credit score at no hit to my own (assuming they don't run up a huge bill and gently caress me over obviously). Does the opposite hold true, then? If after a time I remove them as an authorized user and they then lose that account, their credit will take the hit as if they closed an old CC line?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

From what I'm reading, if I add an authorized user to my CC, and I have excellent credit (long credit history, no bad marks, high credit limits), I can help improve their credit score at no hit to my own (assuming they don't run up a huge bill and gently caress me over obviously). Does the opposite hold true, then? If after a time I remove them as an authorized user and they then lose that account, their credit will take the hit as if they closed an old CC line?

My wife added me as an AU for a 9 year old card and it bumped by score up, as at the time I had a very short credit history (less than 2 years). If you removed them it would probably drop off their report. Keep in mind some servicers don't report on credit report for AUs.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yes, yes and yes

I know this because I asked my parents to add me back to their CC account for this reason.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
The Amazon prime card through Chase is now offering 4% cash back at gas stations from November 4th through January 31st. I had to click on something in my email to activate the offer, so those of you who have the card may want to check your email.

I normally use my costco card, but I may use this instead since I order a lot of poo poo on Amazon and I can just use the points quicker.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does the opposite hold true, then? If after a time I remove them as an authorized user and they then lose that account, their credit will take the hit as if they closed an old CC line?

I'm not sure how authorized users work, but normally, closed accounts stay on your report for up to 10 years, so the score might not slip for some time.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I normally use my costco card, but I may use this instead since I order a lot of poo poo on Amazon and I can just use the points quicker.

You use the points for statement credit or cashback, though, right? Because otherwise you're cheating yourself from the additional points those Amazon purchases would net you if you're using them to directly purchase things, if I understand how that works correctly.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Get this - there are companies that will pay you to do this, some of them quite a bit of money.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Girbot posted:

You use the points for statement credit or cashback, though, right? Because otherwise you're cheating yourself from the additional points those Amazon purchases would net you if you're using them to directly purchase things, if I understand how that works correctly.

Let me just say that I had never thought about it that way and now I feel real dumb. I was saving up those points to just buy some dumb thing on Amazon sometime down the line.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Finally got my Amex gold card. The self-referral trick worked, hopefully I get the sign up bonus. R/churning is reporting a lot of mixed results.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Harry posted:

Finally got my Amex gold card. The self-referral trick worked, hopefully I get the sign up bonus. R/churning is reporting a lot of mixed results.

How long did it take you to receive the card, from the time you applied to when you got the email that the card was shipped?

I applied 2 days ago and haven't heard anything.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

svenkatesh posted:

How long did it take you to receive the card, from the time you applied to when you got the email that the card was shipped?

I applied 2 days ago and haven't heard anything.

Applied last Monday night (10/29). So it took longer than usual.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Get this - there are companies that will pay you to do this, some of them quite a bit of money.

Be careful and/or don't do this, though - it can be a very easy way to get blacklisted by lenders.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

astral posted:

Be careful and/or don't do this, though - it can be a very easy way to get blacklisted by lenders.

I know from experience :negative:. Sure, I made $14,000, but getting blacklisted hurts

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cacafuego posted:

I know from experience :negative:. Sure, I made $14,000, but getting blacklisted hurts

How many people did you have to add as AUs to make 14k?

Assuming you're serious.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I think I had 3 cards I was adding AUs for about a year and a half, and I stopped about 2 years ago. Chase, only 2 per month, Wells Fargo only 2 per month, Barclays up to 6 per month. Chase was the only one to cancel my cards and blacklist me - at least I assume they did. But my wife can still churn with Chase and I'm an AU on her CSP, so I guess it's only "my" cards they cancelled.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
How did you learn about the possibility of doing that? Can you name the org you used? Not recommending this, just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Something Offal posted:

How did you learn about the possibility of doing that? Can you name the org you used? Not recommending this, just curious.

About 4 years ago, I was looking for a way to make passive income and stumbled on it. Google “Mr money moustache piggybacking” and check out the link about selling tradelines and that should give you all the info you could need!