Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, Dave launched a Facebook group a little bit ago to no reaction whatsoever called "Plan It Change 10". He is very concerned about climate change, and feels that there has been too much bullshit and not enough movement on a worldwide threat. I agree with him, and am curious to see what he intends to do with his audience/reach.

Today, he posted this update.

quote:

So, I'm waiting until after the US midterms as not to get lost in a lot of stuff. I'm also posting the speech I gave at Hamer Hall at the end of the next episode, which will hopefully boost the number of people we get in here.

Then we'll start organizing the people we have here. And then we'll start talking and focusing.

And then we start fighting.

Anyone else actually interested in what this may be, or may never become?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i mean they have said time and time again that they'd love to start a cult...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rotinaj posted:

In honesty, I expect it to be a fairly confused waste of time and energy.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
hes raging against the dying of the light

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

rotinaj posted:

So, Dave launched a Facebook group a little bit ago to no reaction whatsoever called "Plan It Change 10". He is very concerned about climate change, and feels that there has been too much bullshit and not enough movement on a worldwide threat. I agree with him, and am curious to see what he intends to do with his audience/reach.

He's running for president.
With vice president gary.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

rotinaj posted:

The Hamer Hall speech was quite heavy. The room was silent for him, though Nick Cody tried to crack a couple of jokes to lighten the mood.

The idea seems to be to use artists and children to change the tone of climate debate from a scientific debate to an emotional one. The scientists have done their job, and it's up to the rest of us to do something about it. I think it's a decent idea, though I'm curious to see how it shakes out.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Speaking of climate change, when are they doing a bitcoin one?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Before I played today's episode I didn't think the title was in reference to the audio quality. Not sure how anyone could listen to that.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Wow. That speech at the end was really powerful. My first kid is due in January and wow, I'm motivated like I've never been motivated before.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

SalTheBard posted:

Wow. That speech at the end was really powerful. My first kid is due in January and wow, I'm motivated like I've never been motivated before.

Since this was the dollop thread I read this as Dave and it just came off super sarcastic.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you read it in Garraths voice it sounds like his voice can't pull off enough sincerity but you also know that he's being sincere.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Blanketspace posted:

The dollop needs to do an episode on Col. James Ketchum more badly than I can explain. It's like if Philip K Dick was a research psychiatrist for the army in the 70s. At one point an entire barrel of liquid LSD appears and disappears, without explanation.

Here's a writeup that doesnt even capture the complete insanity but gets very close: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/12/17/operation-delirium

Jesus, that's nuts.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
If anyone is looking for tickets to the first Boston Dollop, I have two good ones from flaky friends that I'd sell for cost.

Sorry for the bad post.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"John McCain"

uh oh

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Has anyone bought tickets early through Patreon before? I just tried to get one for Los Angeles but when I followed the link, Eventbrite told me "You don't have permission for this event."

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The ones with Dave just getting mad aren't great. Like really, you're busting on the guy for giving up secrets under prolonged torture?

If they're going to do political / topical they need to find their way back to the magic of episode 300...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

terrorist ambulance posted:

The ones with Dave just getting mad aren't great. Like really, you're busting on the guy for giving up secrets under prolonged torture?

If they're going to do political / topical they need to find their way back to the magic of episode 300...

yeah, like McCain did alot of lovely poo poo, both politically and personally and yeah i rolled my eyes hard at people acting like he was some magical saint of goodness. i personally dislike him because he had plenty of times to do real good or stop bad poo poo, but didn't. that being said. i respect his service and the poo poo he went through and that it made him against torture and shiy.

the trump one was good because it painted a picture of how and why trump became the repellent shithead he is. you can almost have sympathetic feelings for him a little bit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

when he's an evil scumbag who supported the death and torture of countless afterwards, yes he gets poo poo on.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I mean they pretty much said "If that were me I'd pretty much immediately squeal"

They just also recognize that he got there by doing some kinda bad things and then never stopped doing bad things afterwards.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

when he's an evil scumbag who supported the death and torture of countless afterwards, yes he gets poo poo on.

he never supported torture. that being said, he didn't do dick about it and helped cause god know how many wars so yeah gently caress him.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Also I feel no compulsion to respect his service. He volunteered to go drop bombs on innocent people in a war of aggression and advocated for more of the same around the world. gently caress him.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

cohsae posted:

Also I feel no compulsion to respect his service. He volunteered to go drop bombs on innocent people in a war of aggression and advocated for more of the same around the world. gently caress him.

No one is saying anyone should respect his garbage service. He's a shithead for all the reasons outlined in the ep and more.

I'm just saying, entertainment wise, they should stick more with the style of the donald trump, Blackwater, or even Feinstein eps than this.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he never supported torture. that being said, he didn't do dick about it and helped cause god know how many wars so yeah gently caress him.

Incorrect! Saying you dont support it and then not using any of your considerable power to do anything about it is, in fact, supporting it!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
John McCain was a huge boon to the North Vietnamese through his constant sabotage of US aircraft, willingness to squeal at the first opportunity and being a great advertisement against capitalism and for that I thank him.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
The Dollop, to me, doesn't feel as light hearted as it once did. I don't begrudge Dave using his popular podcast as a platform for his politics, (the vast majority I agree with), but I miss the episodes that were about just bizarre, obscure things. Kentucky Meat Shower level stuff.

On one hand, the podcast has shed light on a lot of things for me. Like i already know that poo poo is bad, but now I know why. On the other hand, I just wanna hear Garreth react to stories about weird people and events.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he literally was just fine with the countless PMC and actual military war crimes we did just as long as it wasn't in a spoopy CIA interrogation room, he supported torture in every way that matters.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Complacency isn't support but I get what you're saying. It's pretty bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm hoping for a Reagan episode at some point. :allears:

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Yeah, Reagan was my bet for 300.

They also have Nixon still to get to as well. Gareth might know Watergate already, but there's so much more to his lovely legacy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Not Operator posted:

Yeah, Reagan was my bet for 300.

They also have Nixon still to get to as well. Gareth might know Watergate already, but there's so much more to his lovely legacy.

yeah Nixon would be an amazing episode(probably a multyparter.)

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

oh dope posted:

The Dollop, to me, doesn't feel as light hearted as it once did. I don't begrudge Dave using his popular podcast as a platform for his politics, (the vast majority I agree with), but I miss the episodes that were about just bizarre, obscure things. Kentucky Meat Shower level stuff.

On one hand, the podcast has shed light on a lot of things for me. Like i already know that poo poo is bad, but now I know why. On the other hand, I just wanna hear Garreth react to stories about weird people and events.

I wonder if the crazier stories from American history are starting to run thin, but as I write that it seems so absurd that we could run out of documented stupidity in America. Hopefully there's more Australian stuff lined up because those are almost always batshit insane.

Ten Cent Beer Night and stuff like that are absolutely amazing, but personally I don't mind Dave leaning into the straight-up political stuff. His anger is straight up cathartic for me, and that includes the non-political stuff like minor moments when he's telling people to go gently caress off for correcting his pronunciation.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That 5 minute brother recounting bit was loving fantastic by the way.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/1070849372886200321

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Wow...thats going to be brutal.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/1074914572820131840

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Great Another bush conspiracy

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I would support a dramatic rerecording.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I would support a dramatic rerecording.

With James Adomian doing all the voices in the audience.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
HW Bush episode completely gone

How cruel the world can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is a goddamn tragedy.

A Christmas Un-Miracle.