Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well yeah, but I can get another $30 mechanical keyboard with browns and $8 of springs, I guess the question is how much of my time is $40 worth, which right now is a lot. OTOH, that's also why I shouldn't be buying anything in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
ALT came in as well. Swapped the keycaps on the Melody96 as well.

Also got them with Halo Clears and not too impressed with them. They just feel like a heavier version of the re-tooled Kailh Browns. 78g Zealios feel a lot better to me. Though I'm not a big fan of heavier switches in general.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well yeah, but I can get another $30 mechanical keyboard with browns and $8 of springs, I guess the question is how much of my time is $40 worth, which right now is a lot. OTOH, that's also why I shouldn't be buying anything in the first place.

I think you're ignoring the fact that fit and finish as well as overall quality of the board is a huge factor (at least it is for me,) not just how hard you can hit the switches before you bottom out.
I've seen a lot of keyboards for $80+ that don't even some close to touching the luxury feel that the Durgod has. It's right up there with my Code. It weighs a goddamn ton, has 3 adjustable heights and 9 footpads and even the usb-c cable is specifically made for this keyboard and has a little tongue and groove to keep it perfectly in place.

And the LED's are stupid bright.

But yeah, I'll agree that $40 won't get you very far in this hobby.
...and good luck finding an old mechanical keyboard.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 26, 2018

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Anyone getting GMK DMG? I've never owned a GMK set and I'm seriously considering it. Downside is it'd be going on my OG box navy board so I'd have to desolder and swap out the switches.

https://thekey.company/products/gmk-dmg

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I usually only get GMK sets if Massdrop does them since the price for the base sets goes to about $100 USD. If you like the look of it, definitely go for them. They're awesome.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

sweet dude

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Kono is coming with Hot Dox which has swappable sockets and works with QMK.

Might order one and try me some Zealios.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I just need to peddle my observation that I've tried SA keycaps, DSA keycaps, Cherry keycaps, in different materials, and the only caps I really like for more than a brief change of feel are OEM stock keycaps. What now?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lord Stimperor posted:

I just need to peddle my observation that I've tried SA keycaps, DSA keycaps, Cherry keycaps, in different materials, and the only caps I really like for more than a brief change of feel are OEM stock keycaps. What now?

That's not surprising to me in the slightest. Spherical profile keycaps went out of fashion almost 40 years ago and have since stayed out of fashion because they were unergonomical as gently caress. They're a novelty gimmick, and an uncomfortable one at that. Conventional wisdom (cylindrical profile) is conventional for a reason: that poo poo works.

PBT vs ABS is a very minor difference but PBT keycaps do keep their texture better in my experience and I like the feel of not-shiny keycaps. Other than that there's basically no practical difference (except if you plan on keeping the caps for 10+ years or so, at which point yellowing becomes a thing for ABS).

Speaking of keycaps though, I ordered a Matias board and now I'm trying to find PBT keycaps with Alps mounts, which is turning out to be a thing that's too obscure even for weirdo group buys. Rumor has it though that the much maligned rubber dome Apple Design Keyboard kept the Alps mounts and PBT keycaps of its predecessor the AEK II, and I think there might be an ADB somewhere in my dad's basement, so off I go on another treasure hunt.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 30, 2018

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

TheFluff posted:

That's not surprising to me in the slightest. Spherical profile keycaps went out of fashion almost 40 years ago and have since stayed out of fashion because they were unergonomical as gently caress. They're a novelty gimmick, and an uncomfortable one at that. Conventional wisdom (cylindrical profile) is conventional for a reason: that poo poo works.

PBT vs ABS is a very minor difference but PBT keycaps do keep their texture better in my experience and I like the feel of not-shiny keycaps. Other than that there's basically no practical difference (except if you plan on keeping the caps for 10+ years or so, at which point yellowing becomes a thing for ABS).

Speaking of keycaps though, I ordered a Matias board and now I'm trying to find PBT keycaps with Alps mounts, which is turning out to be a thing that's too obscure even for weirdo group buys. Rumor has it though that the much maligned rubber dome Apple Design Keyboard kept the Alps mounts and PBT keycaps of its predecessor the AEK II, and I think there might be an ADB somewhere in my dad's basement, so off I go on another treasure hunt.

PimpMyKeyboard has a page for DSA PBT Matias Blanks, but they're always low stock/OOS when I check - might be worth emailing them to check about availability though? (https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-1-space-pack-of-10/)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Thirst Mutilator posted:

PimpMyKeyboard has a page for DSA PBT Matias Blanks, but they're always low stock/OOS when I check - might be worth emailing them to check about availability though? (https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-1-space-pack-of-10/)

Oh, thanks! Hadn't managed to find that one. Worth a try.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Gave my old Filco Majestouch a bit of a facelift with a clean and some new caps over the weekend.

Album for anyone who's bothered: https://imgur.com/a/oKWwm5E

(Yeah, I know it was gross. It hasn't been cleaned since I got it about 9 years ago...)

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 5, 2018

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Those caps look great!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Those caps look great!

They do, what are they? The alphas looks like mito laser

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Speaking of keycaps...

Me: I can’t wait for the Pulse caps I ordered back in April to arrive!

FedEx: LOL

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Sacred Cow posted:

Speaking of keycaps...

Me: I can’t wait for the Pulse caps I ordered back in April to arrive!

FedEx: LOL

Oh man... for them to actually declare something damaged instead of packing it back up, and the more or less non-fragile nature of keycaps, I bet the package tore open in sorting scattering keycaps under and inside of machinery never to see the light of day again.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

AgentCow007 posted:

Oh man... for them to actually declare something damaged instead of packing it back up, and the more or less non-fragile nature of keycaps, I bet the package tore open in sorting scattering keycaps under and inside of machinery never to see the light of day again.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Either in sorting or while on delivery possibly ending up in a gutter drain somewhere.

I’ll give it to Massdrop though. They replied to my email in less then an hour confirming they’re sending out another set from their spare stock.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

mewse posted:

They do, what are they? The alphas looks like mito laser

It's Ducky Horizon.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Montalvo posted:

Those caps look great!

Bumpy Johnson is correct, they are Ducky Horizon PBT. I'm super pleased with them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I have a Razer Blackwidow Stealth keyboard (uses brown switches). Yesterday, at some point, my left alt key died, which makes alt tabbing and other assorted tasks with that key a chore now.

I've narrowed my options to two things:
1. Swap the switches. I rarely, if ever, use my right alt, so pull the switch from that one and put it on the left one. That would require the tools to do so, of which I don't have (though if you can pull off a mechanical keyboard cap without specialized tools, I'm all ears).
2. Buy a new keyboard outright. If so, recommendations are appreciated, and preference is highly weighted towards brown switches (though if you provide good arguments for the clear switches, I'm all ears as well).

Advice?

e: I can still feel the switch actuating as I press it, though it may be me but it feels "weaker" than the right side switch.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 6, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

iospace posted:

So, I have a Razer Blackwidow Stealth keyboard (uses brown switches). Yesterday, at some point, my left alt key died, which makes alt tabbing and other assorted tasks with that key a chore now.

1. Swap the switches. I rarely, if ever, use my right alt, so pull the switch from that one and put it on the left one. That would require the tools to do so, of which I don't have (though if you can pull off a mechanical keyboard cap without specialized tools, I'm all ears).
2. Buy a new keyboard outright. If so, recommendations are appreciated, and preference is highly weighted towards brown switches (though if you provide good arguments for the clear switches, I'm all ears as well).

Advice?

You can order a pack of brown switches for a couple bucks from aliexpress and repair the board without cannibalizing a working key. If the pcb is screwed you could solder a bodge wire. It’s possible the switch is still working and the solder broke.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i really wish more keyboards had hot-swappable / modular switches. I have 2 cheap ones and I love the fact that if a switch dies I've got a bag of them waiting for repair.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

TheFluff posted:

Nah, that's just like, your opinion, maaaan.

The good thing about this mechanical keyboard hobby is that you can customize your keyboard to your liking. I just got a set of DSA caps and I enjoy it much more than my old OEM set. It's not just the lower profile and uniform rows that does it for me, it's the lack of "sharp" edges on the keycaps that makes me enjoy typing on DSA caps more than OEM.

As to your assertion that sphericals were phased out in favor cylindricals due to the former being unergonomical, I offer an alternate explanation: sphericals were phased out because cylindricals were cheaper to make. Granted, my source for this is a single unsourced forum post on Deskthority and I don't understand how keycap shape affects printing costs but it does gel with my observation of how keyboard manufacturers over time have tended to progress towards lower cost instead of improved typing experience.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

iospace posted:

Advice?

e: I can still feel the switch actuating as I press it, though it may be me but it feels "weaker" than the right side switch.

mewse posted:

You can order a pack of brown switches for a couple bucks from aliexpress and repair the board without cannibalizing a working key. If the pcb is screwed you could solder a bodge wire. It’s possible the switch is still working and the solder broke.

Also try just cleaning it out. I used 71% isopropyl and let it sit a couple days but you could do a higher percentage or I know there’s stuff specifically for that. Something might have worked its way into the switch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And to pull the cap off, would I have to get a cap puller or would a screwdriver be ok to pry it off?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've used a Bent paperclip in a pinch if you can't use a fingnat

mewse
May 2, 2006

iospace posted:

And to pull the cap off, would I have to get a cap puller or would a screwdriver be ok to pry it off?

You can bend a couple paper clips to make a ersatz cap puller. Screwdriver would risk damage depending how careful you were.

efb

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You can also use tweezers if you have them. A lot of boards come with pullers, but they disappear pretty easily.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, mine I think vanished after 4 moves

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hello keyboard thread

I'm on the lookout for a new keyboard, and I need some input.

To narrow down the search a bit:
  • I think i've settled on a TKL. I rarely use the keypad, and I have some shoulder/neck issues in my mousing arm which surely don't get better from having the mouse further to the right.
  • No need for PS/2, USB is fine. No need for wireless.
  • Danish layout would be ideal, but I could settle for Nordic. ISO style enter key tho.
  • I have no idea about switches. I work in an office and I would like to keep the noise reasonable. I used to rock two IBM Model Ms and that was a bit too loud and activation force a bit too much. Very nice keyboards otherwise.
  • It'll be used for coding/sysadminning/typing. No gaming.
  • Ideally available natively in the EU, but I might be able to get one through the US.
  • No need for colors/LEDs/flashy poo poo.

The CODE keyboard from WASD seems good to me, but it's out-of-stock for the one I want/need.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

Malefitz posted:

A few weeks ago I have been asking about advise to buy my first mechanical keyboard. I wanted to go the ANSI US layout route for better programming for the first time even though I'm from Germany, so I bought the GMMK Full-size RGB with Gateron Brown switches. When I got the keyboard I immediately loved its style and its haptics.
But when I used it for some time I noticed that I just couldn't deal with the ANSI QWERTY layout after having used the ISO QWERTZ layout for almost 30 years of my life. I realized how many texts I still write in German and how off it feels for me to use the substitutes to our German 'umlauts' (ae, ue, oe, ss instead of ä ü ö ß). I tried to play around a bit with assigning these keys to unused key combinations but in the end I just decided that I was going to send the keyboard back and find an equivalent ISO QWERTZ keyboard.

Late reply, but by switching to the English international key layout you can type special characters via the ALT-q (ä), ALT-y (ü), ALT-p (ö), and ALT-s (ß) shortcuts. Took me a day to get used to it.

I recently exchanged the SA Night King on my GMMK ALT with the GMK Samurai (with Clackey's Uncertainkey on ESC and 68g Zealios). Turns out I prefer GMK to SA. Here's a crappy phone pic:

Also bought the Samurai Nishis, but with the market prices being over the top I might sell them soon.

Also received the Massdrop ALT with Halo Clears. The keycaps that came with the board are too highfor my taste, so I'll be replacing them with a GMK Laser set.
What really grinds my gears is the pinging noise the board makes when I type. Any ideas on how to get rid of that?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Cosmic Web posted:

Also received the Massdrop ALT with Halo Clears. The keycaps that came with the board are too highfor my taste, so I'll be replacing them with a GMK Laser set.
What really grinds my gears is the pinging noise the board makes when I type. Any ideas on how to get rid of that?

Yeah, the K-Type, Massdrop CTRL and ALT all have the same issue of using thin and hollow as gently caress aluminium cases. Not really a fan of the build quality on them. What you can do is open it up entirely and try to shove some sort of packing material / foam / dynamat etc to where you can fit it in. That should reduce the pinging a bit.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

bolind posted:

Hello keyboard thread

I'm on the lookout for a new keyboard, and I need some input.

To narrow down the search a bit:
  • I think i've settled on a TKL. I rarely use the keypad, and I have some shoulder/neck issues in my mousing arm which surely don't get better from having the mouse further to the right.
  • No need for PS/2, USB is fine. No need for wireless.
  • Danish layout would be ideal, but I could settle for Nordic. ISO style enter key tho.
  • I have no idea about switches. I work in an office and I would like to keep the noise reasonable. I used to rock two IBM Model Ms and that was a bit too loud and activation force a bit too much. Very nice keyboards otherwise.
  • It'll be used for coding/sysadminning/typing. No gaming.
  • Ideally available natively in the EU, but I might be able to get one through the US.
  • No need for colors/LEDs/flashy poo poo.

The CODE keyboard from WASD seems good to me, but it's out-of-stock for the one I want/need.

I have a Nordic Matias Quiet Click at the office and it's extremely good, but it only comes in 60% and full-size, no TKL as far as I know. There is a third-party that sells a TKL with Matias Quiet Click switches but it doesn't come in a Nordic layout.

Cosmic Web posted:

Late reply, but by switching to the English international key layout you can type special characters via the ALT-q (ä), ALT-y (ü), ALT-p (ö), and ALT-s (ß) shortcuts. Took me a day to get used to it

Nah, the correct way of doing this is by setting a OS-wide hotkey to switch keyboard layouts (alt+shift is default on Windows, ctrl+space on Mac) and just switch keyboard layouts whenever you need to type a character that's obnoxious on the current layout. Doing complicated two or three finger chords for very common characters is unacceptable (I'm looking at you, Swedish Mac OS X layout that has curly brackets on shift+right alt+8/9).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 8, 2018

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Any feedback on the Vortex Race 3? I saw it on massdrop and Amazon has a few versions for ~160 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LZ2YRM/ref=dp_prsubs_1#customerReviews . I am looking to replace the Razer keyboard my son bought me a couple of years ago and want something a little less flashy so I don't care about backlighting or any of that crap.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I've heard the Vortex Race 3 is universally praised for its build quality and layout. I don't think you'll regret buying one

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I use one as my work keyboard. I really love it.

On one hand, I'm slightly annoyed that replacing the caps would be really expensive ... but the caps it comes with are just fine.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Not a big fan of open case design personally. Also, the key profile is completely flat. I sold mine.

Also, they insist on using pbt spacebars, which leads to units being shipped with a seriously deformed spacebar.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I use a vr3 at work too. I like it, although I still seem to mistype fairly often. I'm not like a super good and fast typist to begin with though

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
I considered the Race 3 for a long time but settled on the TADA68 which is basically the same layout without the F row, better keycaps, and has a kit option so you can pick switches (IMO kailh box > cherry/clones in every way). I like it so much that I'll probably buy another one just to have one clicky and one linear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've been using a Model M in a cube environment for a few years now, but unfortunately I think I'm starting to get a few more sideways glances about the racket I generate with it than I'd prefer. With multiple monitors I'd really like to get something with a Windows key anyway, and I can't run anything to fake it like Autohotkey.

Prefer a full layout, and want a key feel as close to a Model M as possible... but quieter. Not concerned about silent, but probably something where I can't hear myself typing when someone two rows over is on the same conference call as I am.

I've got a cheap Aukey keyboard at home with some knockoff blue switches and I like the feel of it well enough, but I don't think that particular keyboard is going to be that much quieter here.

Any thoughts on that, or should I just start looking at all the mods people do to Ms to quiet them down?