Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

bird food bathtub posted:

Water locks do give your dupes a bit of stress so I try to keep them on the other side of exosuit check points. And yeah it does feel exploitey but screw it, until they put in a no-poo poo airlock that actually works I'll keep doing it.
With the new canister machines it would be pretty easy to set it up using carbon dioxide instead of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

It feels exploity but actually makes perfect sense. The exact implementation is a bit cheesy but you could make a more realistic one easily

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

How do I make use of a Cu volcano next to an AENT? I'm in cycle 80 of my restarted colony so I don't have a SPOM set up quite yet because I'm cleaning up my base and adding essentials like a Lavatory, Showers, new food area, and starting to make an actual power grid. SPOM is the next thing on my list. Should I build two coal generator simply to power the refinery, or should I just use the rock crusher so I get enough metal for the metal tiles in the SPOM?

Also pipes are really dumb and I somehow had a lavatory pipe blocked somewhere. I tried to fix it with deconstructing pipes and adding bridges, etc. I spent several cycles with dupes pissing on the floor everywhere because I thought I could get it up and running in only one or two. Instead nothing worked, and I ended up reconstructing outhouses and demo'ing and rebuilding the entire lavatory system. with pipe bridges into everything just to make sure I told the water to flow the correct direction. I've never had to do that before.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I ran into the shower bug, dupes would cancel showering because the pipes hit max capacity, so I had to make each shower have its own dedicated waste pipe that was long enough to prevent backup. it would block up when dupes used toilets at the same time as someone showering, as the full load of polluted water would prevent the showers from draining.

also, rock crushers give metals? I thought it just produced sand. this would be a lifesaver because my metal supply is woefully low, and my dupes run around in exosuits too slowly for me to mine a bunch out efficiently, and I swear 80% of my map is just slime.

also, dupe ai is infuriating. they'll constantly run to dangerous places to breath air, or they'll put an exosuit on, do one single job, and then come back to base???

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 4, 2018

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Yeah. I feel like, if you go to the trouble of powering the security door it should be a de-facto airlock.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Qubee posted:

also, rock crushers give metals?
They refine ore into metal, yes, but very inefficiently. I think it’s 2:1 for a crusher and 1:1 for a refinery.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
They also don’t give metal, they refine raw metal into refined metal. You’ll always have to mine the base product if you need raw metal for stuff.

On a side note I’ve learned metal geysers own really hard for free refined metal though, just throw it in a giant tank of water and the water holds its temperature while the metal does not. Keyword giant though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 4, 2018

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Mazz posted:

They also don’t give metal, they refine raw metal into refined metal. You’ll always have to mine the base product if you need raw metal for stuff.

On a side note I’ve learned metal geysers own really hard for free refined metal though, just throw it in a giant tank of water and the water holds its temperature while the metal does not. Keyword giant though.

My next big project is using oil or petroleum to cool these geysers, then pumping it up to the surface for evaporation/cooling. I'm not quite sure how to do it yet, but it seems possible.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I set up a SPOM! It just like, gets max pressure all the time. I used the design from here. It seems like the single block isn’t enough to allow the hydrogen to flow to the pump as quickly as it’s produced.

I don’t know how to solve my water shortage now though. I have to cool down the steam geyser or purify water from a slush volcano. I have an AETN. I think the move is to create a reservoir of hot water and then pipe cold hydrogen or oil through a radiator submerged in the hot water and pump it out when it’s cooled, but is there a faster way?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
You don't have to cool water for anything but farming. Electrolysers have a fixed output temperature, do send as hot of water in as you can manage.

Also, it fuckin owns bones if you have a metal volcano right by the surface. Dig a tunnel 4 tiles wide, line it with insulated igneous tiles, and let the steam waft out to space.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

tuyop posted:

I set up a SPOM! It just like, gets max pressure all the time. I used the design from here. It seems like the single block isn’t enough to allow the hydrogen to flow to the pump as quickly as it’s produced.
Are you venting the extra hydrogen? It produces more than it needs to power itself, so that pipe going behind the bridge is needed to carry out the extra. It's mentioned in that guide but a few of the pictures don't show the pipe going anywhere, so maybe you missed it.

quote:

I don’t know how to solve my water shortage now though. I have to cool down the steam geyser or purify water from a slush volcano. I have an AETN. I think the move is to create a reservoir of hot water and then pipe cold hydrogen or oil through a radiator submerged in the hot water and pump it out when it’s cooled, but is there a faster way?
You can use hot water directly in the SPOM, electrolyzers always output at the same temperature. For other uses I would suggest using the slush geyser to cool its own clean water; have the water from the geyser run through your clean water tank using radiant piping, and then into the water sieve which fills that tank.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

misguided rage posted:

Are you venting the extra hydrogen? It produces more than it needs to power itself, so that pipe going behind the bridge is needed to carry out the extra. It's mentioned in that guide but a few of the pictures don't show the pipe going anywhere, so maybe you missed it.

You can use hot water directly in the SPOM, electrolyzers always output at the same temperature. For other uses I would suggest using the slush geyser to cool its own clean water; have the water from the geyser run through your clean water tank using radiant piping, and then into the water sieve which fills that tank.

It’s not currently producing more H than it uses, somehow. I get max gas pressure warnings on the electrolyzer constantly and it limits output.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

That's weird. One hydrogen pump and two oxygen pumps are more than enough to handle all of the electrolyzer output, mine never stop producing unless the hydrogen or oxygen lines leaving the SPOM back up.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Check what your atmo sensors are set to. I use a slightly modified version of that design and usually end with the top one at 1200 and the bottom one at 900 (but usually have to set the bottom one much lower at first to purge the right side).

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

You can make an expensive real life type airlock but it's really slow and takes a lot of power.

An easier way is 4 doors. I=I laid out like that. Vertical two stacked horizontal and vertical. It's 99% perfect airlock.

Just did this to connect my base to the chlorine geyser area that was adjacent and it worked perfectly. It let a very small amount of chlorine in but nothing my HVAC system couldn't handle/move around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

tuyop posted:

Use a thermo aquatuner submerged in your hot water tank to cool your cold water.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I have this setup currently in my map. I am thinking about putting the SPOM above the AETN. Later I can tap the copper volcano and cool it (I think) with some excess hydrogen from the SPOM. Is this a good idea, or should I put the SPOM in my base somewhere and use the area above the AETN for something else later?

Edit: Also, do Shine Bugs not eat Abyssalite out of the gate? I have some random ones I caught in my ranch, and they don't seem to be eating the pet feeder full of abyssalite.

pakman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 6, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

pakman posted:

I have this setup currently in my map. I am thinking about putting the SPOM above the AETN. Later I can tap the copper volcano and cool it (I think) with some excess hydrogen from the SPOM. Is this a good idea, or should I put the SPOM in my base somewhere and use the area above the AETN for something else later?

It would work well on the SPOM, not sure about the copper volcano. The AETN only cools at a rate of about 6.67 wheezeworts - that should be enough over time but the heat from a copper volcano comes in short large bursts. Ensure all materials close to the volcano will not melt.

The true benefit of the AETN over 6.67 wheezeworts is that the AETN can cool to a much lower temperature (-173C vs -60C).

edit: check https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/89984-oni-biology/ for the details on the various critters, only the nega shinebug morph will eat abyssalite.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Do you eventually just run out of metal, even with volcanoes?

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003

Sillybones posted:

Nothing springs to mind that would delete refined metal, unless it's a stone hatch eating raw metal. Each meteor storm cycle will bring a ton or two of iron onto the surface, which is a good source for steel production on my map, the iron deposits were really sparse. Any time you build with metal, you can disassemble it later and get the resources back.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Is iron the same as raw metals?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sillybones posted:

Is iron the same as raw metals?

Iron isn't the same as raw metal, its "refined metal". As of a recent patch steel can be used both as a refined metal and a raw metal allowing it to fill any gaps.

Edit: As for running out of metal, iron literally falls from the sky as mentioned. Copper, iron, and gold volcanoes can exist. Copper and iron can be retrieved from space. As far as I known though, tungsten/wolframite are limited - I haven't checked the planets since the space industry upgrade though. In theory a number of substances melt into tungsten, such as abyssalite, but achieving such temperatures outside of sandbox mode is probably impossible without finding some pretty severe glitches.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 6, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sillybones posted:

No. You can get more from space. I think that's effectively infinite.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i ran into this issue where my dupes stopped tuning up my power generators using microchips

the ones with high priority "operate" keep going for the petroleum refinieries and spend all their time there

i think im gonna have to set up some kind of schedule using clock sensors because this is ridiculous

the power station subpriority is set to 9, petroleum generators set to 5

it used to work and it stopped working, i dunno what broke it

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So I'm starting to get hard into automation and shipping for the first time. My current setup is vacuuming up harvested mushrooms, pinchas and bristles then shipping them into the kitchen where another vacuum puts them in a refrigerator or the stoves for cooking, picks up the cooked stuff and sends it over to refrigerators in the dining area. My concern with this is what happens to the extras? When refrigerators start filling up is there a way to take only the extra out of the shipping containers and put it in my carbon dioxide storage facility so nothing spoils or will it all sit in the shipping containers and go bad?

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

bird food bathtub posted:

So I'm starting to get hard into automation and shipping for the first time. My current setup is vacuuming up harvested mushrooms, pinchas and bristles then shipping them into the kitchen where another vacuum puts them in a refrigerator or the stoves for cooking, picks up the cooked stuff and sends it over to refrigerators in the dining area. My concern with this is what happens to the extras? When refrigerators start filling up is there a way to take only the extra out of the shipping containers and put it in my carbon dioxide storage facility so nothing spoils or will it all sit in the shipping containers and go bad?

What if you set the fridge to priority 6, the unloader to 4, and a loader to 5. I think this would fill up the fridge first, then unload anything else and place it in a loader to be sent in to the CO2 pits.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

how do I manage heat death? most of my colony is creeping up past 31 degrees celsius. I'm piping all the O2 my electrolyzers produce through an ice biome, and it arrives at my base around 10 degrees celsius, but it barely dents the overall temperature of my base.

I was going to make an HVAC unit and build it in the ice biome, and then pipe O2 through that so it arrives at my base at -14 c but I don't know if this is smart. do I need to redo all my outer colony walls as insulated walls? I don't care if my maintenance tunnels are hot, though I'd like a way to tackle heat generated by my natural gas generators. should I pipe -14c O2 into those rooms to tackle heat at the source?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You want to keep almost everything that generates heat outside your base and separate that stuff by insulation or vacuum if you can.

As a stopgap I’ve had success just running air from an ice biome through a wolframite radiant pipe radiator in the hottest rooms and then back to a vent in the ice biome. Later you’ll want to use an AETN for it somehow, I imagine. I’m working on that as well.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I completely forgot about radiant pipes, I'm definitely going to work on that ASAP. pushing radiant pipes through my heat generation rooms will do wonders.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
You don't need to cool your power room, you just need to build it far away from your base (i.e. outside the starting biome) and insulate it with ceramic tiles. Just build your generators and batteries out of gold and you'll be... golden.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
As far as I know, cooling gas is not so great, since they have very little heat capacity compared to liquid? I think you want to use liquid cooling if you are going that way. I think.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Sillybones posted:

As far as I know, cooling gas is not so great, since they have very little heat capacity compared to liquid? I think you want to use liquid cooling if you are going that way. I think.

correct

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Hydrogen is reasonable but is generally replaced with petroleum or crude oil

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I use highly chilled O2 for my base itself. There's really no reason not to if you have multiple AETNs and a good wheezewort supply, since you need to circulate air anyway. Everything else is for industrial purposes and uses crude oil coolant. My current seed has 3 convenient AETNs so I'm spoiled for options.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

Yeah of course, but this is a stopgap to prevent starvation and it’s been counteracting hot water and lightbulbs in my ill-conceived bristleberry farm for like 200 cycles so I think it’s good enough!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Qubee posted:

how do I manage heat death? most of my colony is creeping up past 31 degrees celsius. I'm piping all the O2 my electrolyzers produce through an ice biome, and it arrives at my base around 10 degrees celsius, but it barely dents the overall temperature of my base.
Insulate your whole base! It's hard to notice because it happens so slowly but you get a ton of heat transferring in from the adjacent biomes once you breach the abyssalite separating you from them. Others have mentioned moving all your heat-producing industry further away, once you've got all that stuff out of your base and an insulated box surrounding you, your cooled oxygen should be enough to keep temperatures down low enough for farming. In the short term you can throw down some wheezeworts.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

done, done and done.

is there meant to be so much swamp biome? all I've seen are swamp biomes, a tiny tiny tiny ice biome, and then random pockets of chlorine and hydrogen. the rest is slime. is that normal?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Varies a whole lot. Especially if you’re only talking about the biomes near your base.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The slimelung biome and caustic (chlorine/hydrogen, hot) are about an even split with less ice biome, but not a ton less tbh once you clear the whole asteroid. In fact if you clear most of the asteroid completely the average temperature is remarkably temperate if you insulate from the bottom and top layers and all the geysers.

Also you can offset quite lot of heat with just a few well placed wheezeworts, at least early on. My entire power setup right now is 4 coal with the transformers/batteries in the same general room and 3 wheezeworts keeps it under 40C forever. That kind of temperature will effectively not leak through insulated tile, at least not in any meaningful way.

If you haven’t looked into a SPOM before, you should. It’s main advantage besides being self powered is it outputs oxygen at like 20C with no further input than getting hydrogen in the cold room. Pumped directly towards your base/farm/whatever and it will temperature control most of that area by itself, outside of very specific stuff.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

just spent 30 minutes building that thermal aquatuner building, had it all wired up, all the pipes in my base to pump cold liquid around to cool stuff down. it turns on, and immediately starts suffering overheat damage, and the room shot to 300 degrees c. oh poo poo.

it then broke, and I lost 1200kg of gold amalgam... I then decided to rebuild it, but this time have it only activate when it was in a vacuum. I figured since it's in a vacuum, the temperature would magically disappear (I'm an idiot). it didn't. so I've turned it off and am going to scrap the entire project.

my base is slowly cooking and I've only found 3 wheezewhorts, and they're barely bringing the temperature down. all heat producing buildings are outside of my base, my base is entirely encompassed in insulated tiles. my next project will be just pumping cool air from the ice biome into my base and radiating it out from pipes.