Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

Definitely more of the latter. We make non-Asimovian robots and use computer vision in our devices. That said, I have always wanted to mess with Raspberry Pis and Arduinos and stuff.

Like murder bots? What the gently caress is a non-asimovian robot? A drone?

Anyway, I shy away from directly recommending a raspberry pi. I own 3 (A 3, a zero and a zero W) and it definitely has its use case. That said, you presumably make a real salary. Building a badass project that actually works, that isn't hobbled by being on the debian/pi ecosystem, is worth spending $200 extra bucks. Strongly recommend you pick a project that interests you and has components similar to your job, and go reproduce it. Don't be afraid to spend a little money. I know youre comfortable with books but the things that will help you communicate and problem solve better with your peers might not be written in them. Having a technician level understanding of the problems associated with their work will be more fun to learn and probably more helpful.

Arduinos on the other hand are both cheap and insanely useful.

Also checkout software defined radios (again recommend hack a day for stuff you might like.)

Dik Hz posted:

Do you ever get to interact with production people?

If so, just walk the production floor and ask the production people what they need help with. Listen carefully and work to help them. Apply your engineering mindset to solving their problems. If you can do that consistently, you're already way past the point any degree would put you at. And you'll have a whole building full of people that will be references for your abilities.

Edit: The value of an engineer is their problem-solving mindset. Not their technical expertise. Technical expertise can be rented. True problem-solving is a rare and valuable skill. Doubly so when it's combo'ed with the drive to complete projects.

This is good advice too.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CarForumPoster posted:

Like murder bots? What the gently caress is a non-asimovian robot? A drone?

Sorry, regular robot. Was just being silly because they are normal real robots instead of sci fi robots.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Hello Sailor posted:

Agreed. I graduated in May with a bachelor's in environmental engineering and officially received my EIT earlier this month, but have yet to get a foot in the door anywhere as far as actual employment goes. However, part of that is definitely me: my official GPA isn't great due to not taking college seriously when I was much younger (all prior to 2003, I went back to school for EnvE in 2014) and because I worked to put myself through school, I don't have any internships or directly discipline-relevant experience.

May I ask what kind of work are you trying to work with your degree? I work in environmental consulting (phase I and II ESAs,brown fields investigation / remediation , wetlands delineations, etc) and can give you some pointers getting into that industry. If you have any desire to work in that field the best advice I can give off the bat is spending the $200 bucks or so to get your 40 HR HAZWOPER. The kid we just hired out of school was selected tp be interviewed just because he had that on his resume.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Kanish posted:

May I ask what kind of work are you trying to work with your degree? I work in environmental consulting (phase I and II ESAs,brown fields investigation / remediation , wetlands delineations, etc) and can give you some pointers getting into that industry. If you have any desire to work in that field the best advice I can give off the bat is spending the $200 bucks or so to get your 40 HR HAZWOPER. The kid we just hired out of school was selected tp be interviewed just because he had that on his resume.

At this point, I'd be open to about anything, but I had site remediation or hydrology work in mind. I renewed my HAZWOPER cert in January and I've done manufacturing work (pesticide formulation) that actually used that knowledge.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Hello Sailor posted:

At this point, I'd be open to about anything, but I had site remediation or hydrology work in mind. I renewed my HAZWOPER cert in January and I've done manufacturing work (pesticide formulation) that actually used that knowledge.

Having that cert is a good start then. If you are looking at consulting companies like mine, our primary work is Phase I and II ESA's. These reports are pretty standard, but they tend to lead into bigger projects like brownfield investigations and remediation. It would perhaps be a good idea to become familiar with the ASTM standard (https://www.astm.org/Standards/E1527.htm) enough to speak about it should you land an interview. Also, in my company the title Environmental Scientist and Environmental Engineer are essentially interchangeable at the junior level, so perhaps expand your search to include those positions. There is almost certainty a P.E. running projects, and I think an engineering degree would give you a leg up over general enviro science grads. I work for a very small company, so you're mileage may vary if you join an ARACDIS or AECOM mega-firm.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Really general question: There's a specific term for a post-project "lessons learned" paper or meeting but I can't remember it. Definitely something that was used in my Engineering ethics course. Any ideas?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Really general question: There's a specific term for a post-project "lessons learned" paper or meeting but I can't remember it. Definitely something that was used in my Engineering ethics course. Any ideas?

Debrief?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Gorman Thomas posted:

After action report?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I mean, most people would call it “lessons learned.” Sometimes “post-mortem.”

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Some assholes call it a “download.” “Debrief” still sounds best to me.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Post-Mortem! That's it, had a feeling it would be some fancy Latin. Thanks guys.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
"retrospective" works too and has slightly better connotations

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Post-Mortem! That's it, had a feeling it would be some fancy Latin. Thanks guys.

Don't use this term for projects that have had fatalities

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just use Lessons Learned like normal people.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
After every project ends we are supposed to compile and release a lessons learned document. Presumably someone is supposed to read those documents prior to starting a new project?

LOL. No one has ever read a lessons learned document.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Think of it like the office equivalent of a one-page cheat sheet your teacher allowed you to bring to a test. The point isn’t necessarily having it, the point is that making it forces you to review the material and if you do it right you won’t need it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hey where are all the good engineering jobs posted these days? I've been out of the market for 5 years so I don't know where the best places to go are.

Long story short I'm working from home now after my office was closed. Not a big fan of it, and it completely shuts out any opportunity for advancement.

I've already got some contacts via LinkedIn, but obviously that isn't everything...or is it? Do people still post to Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed? Are there other places or is that about it?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

YMMV, but I did my entry-level job hunting on Indeed and my college's job board. Enough postings to keep me busy all day, though I was open to relocating anywhere in the US if the pay matched the housing market and that might not be your situation.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

DaveSauce posted:

Hey where are all the good engineering jobs posted these days? I've been out of the market for 5 years so I don't know where the best places to go are.

Long story short I'm working from home now after my office was closed. Not a big fan of it, and it completely shuts out any opportunity for advancement.

I've already got some contacts via LinkedIn, but obviously that isn't everything...or is it? Do people still post to Monster, CareerBuilder, Indeed? Are there other places or is that about it?

If my current experience is any indication, the market for mid-level engineers is booming right now, especially if you can stomach working as a DoD contractor. If you get in touch with any recruiting agency or tool around on LinkedIn for an afternoon you should have interviews by next week.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Oh yeah, the market for me is easy. I just want to make sure I'm not shutting out any interesting options that post on different sites that I missed.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DaveSauce posted:

Oh yeah, the market for me is easy. I just want to make sure I'm not shutting out any interesting options that post on different sites that I missed.

You can always go the route of a contracting agency to start with to see whats going on, they are going to get first cut at a lot of need requests. Take a 6 month contract while you figure out the lay of the land.

e: Also I haven't updated my linked in profile in 8 years and I get one or two hits a month from headhunters.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I was looking in the Milwaukee area, I saw a lot of jobs on the local jobs board. So, maybe your area has something similar.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Has anyone heard of an MBA being a requirement for a Team Lead position in an engineering department?

I've been a team lead for a few years at my current company, but nobody here has an MBA that I'm aware of, not even the board members. I mean, it's a 250 person company, so it's unlikely anyone has an MBA at a place this small. But hell, one of the team leads doesn't even have a degree, he started as an electrician 25 years ago and worked his way up.

I ask because one of the jobs I'm looking at lists an MBA as a preference (but not a requirement) in the Team Lead job description. I've already talked with HR and this never came up, but then they sent the job description and I saw the MBA listed and got a little confused.

I'm not really concerned about losing out on this job just because of that, but is this a common thing? I thought it was only large corporations that pushed for MBAs in sub-VP positions. I certainly wouldn't go through the time and effort of getting an MBA then settle for a team lead position...

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I guess it depends on what it means by "team lead"?

I would assume a team lead to be ~4-6 people and at that level there is pretty much 0 need for anything taught in an MBA course.

If by team lead they mean, "Lead the hundred million dollar new product development team" then, yeah, MBA all the way because your entire job is going to be personnel management, schedule dependencies, budget tracking and presentations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Yeah it's almost certainly 4-6 people. If it's anything outside that, I'm WAY outclassed here.

I think the other possible angle is it's a "dual purpose" job description. One for technical team leads, the other for project managers...dual track so to speak. I'd definitely be looking at the technical side.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I mean.. It's a preference, right? Why not prefer one over not having one? Lots of engineering isn't strictly doing the maths (for example), especially for a lead/manager, and need to account for business-related stuff.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

totalnewbie posted:

I mean.. It's a preference, right? Why not prefer one over not having one? Lots of engineering isn't strictly doing the maths (for example), especially for a lead/manager, and need to account for business-related stuff.

Listing preferred-but-not-required skills is great and all, but we're not talking about obscure tools, software packages, or professional certificates. Someone with an MBA is going to be more expensive up front, and then they'll be a flight risk as soon as they find a director- or executive-track position elsewhere.

Hiring someone who is overqualified is just as bad for the company as if they're underqualified. Sure they'll do a great job, but they'll cost more, or they'll quit sooner, or both.

But I don't have an MBA, so I guess I don't really know how much they're worth.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Maybe they're willing to pay it, but you're alright right there.

That said, don't underestimate people's complacency and laziness when it comes to getting a new job if they've already got one that they're not necessarily dissatisfied with.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Anyone in here have experience using Eplan? I'm in industrial automation and started learning it for drawing simple control cabinets, but holy hell there's a lot of functions in here. Unfortunately I have no idea how to use them all, and learning them is gonna take some time. Are there any good online Eplan guides/books?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

DaveSauce posted:

Listing preferred-but-not-required skills is great and all, but we're not talking about obscure tools, software packages, or professional certificates. Someone with an MBA is going to be more expensive up front, and then they'll be a flight risk as soon as they find a director- or executive-track position elsewhere.

Hiring someone who is overqualified is just as bad for the company as if they're underqualified. Sure they'll do a great job, but they'll cost more, or they'll quit sooner, or both.

But I don't have an MBA, so I guess I don't really know how much they're worth.

I think the MBAs out of my school are looking at 60k on average or so starting. The MBA gives you a bigger picture view and hopefully better people/organizational management skills, allows you to be more flexible across departments as well.

The people that stay in the engineering school and are "serious engineers" are usually quite stiff and too focused to think outside the box when it comes to qualitative problem solving or anything without a firm solution. This is a generalization but one engineers should be aware of.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

lightpole posted:

The people that stay in the engineering school and are "serious engineers" are usually quite stiff and too focused to think outside the box when it comes to qualitative problem solving or anything without a firm solution. This is a generalization but one engineers should be aware of.

I don't think most engineering/product focused businesses think like this anymore, but probably did in the early 2000s. In my experience, if a person is an engineer in undergrad, a masters in engineering almost always carries more weight than an MBA, almost no matter the position... but CERTAINLY for a team lead position.

Murgos posted:

I guess it depends on what it means by "team lead"?

I would assume a team lead to be ~4-6 people and at that level there is pretty much 0 need for anything taught in an MBA course.

If by team lead they mean, "Lead the hundred million dollar new product development team" then, yeah, MBA all the way because your entire job is going to be personnel management, schedule dependencies, budget tracking and presentations.

This is what team lead has meant at a large tech company and two large defense companies I've worked for.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I posted in here some time ago, but I would like some additional advice for my best path forward.

I currently have a BS in Environmental Science and Technology with a concentration of ecological design. I work as an environmental consultant doing standard phase i/ii esas, wetland delineations, brownfield remediation, soil infiltration testing, etc. Long story short, I want to get my P.E. and, ideally work doing more civil-type work. I contemplated sitting for the Env. FE exam, since my state would allow me to become a PE with a scientific degree and 8 years experience, but the job opportunities are so limited.

Anyway, here are my options:

-Go back to school and get a BS in Civil Engineering. The job opportunities are booming for Civils around me, part of why Id like to make the switch. It would take ~ 2.5 years and cost nearly 50k
(around 30k of which being loans) between tuition and living expenses. This school is over an hour away, so I could not work during the semesters.

or

-Complete a Civil Engineering Technology BS, which is ABET accredited and would allow me to sit for the civil FE exam. However this would require 8 years of experience to become a PE this way. It is also a hybrid online/in person program which would take 1.5 years and not require a daily commute. Also, it would be about $15 to $20k less to complete.

My main dilemma is wondering if having a CET degree would be sufficient to get engineer jobs given my current professional background. Would you imagine I would get a ROI for my extra 20k getting the the civil engineering degree, based on overall career earning potential?

Any input is appreciated.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

Kanish posted:

I posted in here some time ago, but I would like some additional advice for my best path forward.

I currently have a BS in Environmental Science and Technology with a concentration of ecological design. I work as an environmental consultant doing standard phase i/ii esas, wetland delineations, brownfield remediation, soil infiltration testing, etc. Long story short, I want to get my P.E. and, ideally work doing more civil-type work. I contemplated sitting for the Env. FE exam, since my state would allow me to become a PE with a scientific degree and 8 years experience, but the job opportunities are so limited.

Anyway, here are my options:

-Go back to school and get a BS in Civil Engineering. The job opportunities are booming for Civils around me, part of why Id like to make the switch. It would take ~ 2.5 years and cost nearly 50k
(around 30k of which being loans) between tuition and living expenses. This school is over an hour away, so I could not work during the semesters.

or

-Complete a Civil Engineering Technology BS, which is ABET accredited and would allow me to sit for the civil FE exam. However this would require 8 years of experience to become a PE this way. It is also a hybrid online/in person program which would take 1.5 years and not require a daily commute. Also, it would be about $15 to $20k less to complete.

My main dilemma is wondering if having a CET degree would be sufficient to get engineer jobs given my current professional background. Would you imagine I would get a ROI for my extra 20k getting the the civil engineering degree, based on overall career earning potential?

I'd double check the ability to sit for the PE with a CET degree. My main state, Missouri, doesn't allow for it and it looks like commity could be difficult with it. Only being able to bring registered in a few states isn't ideal as it limits opportunities. I'd probably go for the BSCE. getting your PE as quick as possible is going to be best if you want a career in CE.

If you know cad companies will gobble you up now as a tech/drafter, no CET required. You could get started on the design aspect now then make a decision whether to go all in with a degree. Bonus if you get with a firm willing to pay for you to do it.

fishhooked fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 5, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would never hire a CET for an engineering position. I probably wouldn't vouch for a CET to sit for the PE either. But that is just me as a manager of an engineering group.

I guess I don't see what the CET degree really gets you.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The general advice on engineering tech degrees is not to do them. Also is going for your PE worth it? $50k+interest is a boatload of money

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CarForumPoster posted:

The general advice on engineering tech degrees is not to do them. Also is going for your PE worth it? $50k+interest is a boatload of money

To follow on, at my large engineering company, both of the roles you're describing are done entirely by non-engineers, including management. Is your company saying they want a PE before a promotion? Are you trying to change disciplines?

We don't have a big environmental remediation practice though, just testing. I imagine the remediation might want a PE.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Kanish posted:

What about an environmental engineering degree? More of your coursework would probably be transferrable for it and there's a lot of overlap with civil anyway.

From what I've seen, engineering tech degrees stop at or before calc 1 for math requirements, while engineering degrees require calc 3 and differential equations. You can knock those courses (and possibly more) out by taking night courses at a local community college while you work your current job, which will reduce your tuition costs and let you sock away more cash to offset your student loans.

e: Just be sure to confirm with the university you'll be attending that the community college courses will transfer.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 6, 2018

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

To pile on, engineering tech degrees are not seen as "real" engineering degrees by most state licensing authorities. In terms of job opportunities, experience will trump that degree every time -- it'd honestly be a waste of your time and money.

An engineering degree, on the other hand, would be well worth it if you consider getting the PE ASAP that important. You should see if any of your old coursework transfers. On the other hand, most states have an experience-only option (12 years here, with some partial credit given toward postsecondary schooling), which honestly may very well be your most economical way forward.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Not a Children posted:

To pile on, engineering tech degrees are not seen as "real" engineering degrees by most state licensing authorities. In terms of job opportunities, experience will trump that degree every time -- it'd honestly be a waste of your time and money.

An engineering degree, on the other hand, would be well worth it if you consider getting the PE ASAP that important. You should see if any of your old coursework transfers. On the other hand, most states have an experience-only option (12 years here, with some partial credit given toward postsecondary schooling), which honestly may very well be your most economical way forward.

Maybe a dumb question but are there any masters degrees that qualify you to sit for the PE? At least kill two birds with one stone there and no ones gonna spend $50k on a regular state-school masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
I’m pretty sure even phd’s don’t automatically get their PE. In fact I think they have to teach for a number of years before they can sit for it.

Edit:

Anecdotally, I know of a couple of tech degree engineers with PEs. But, they got their degrees in the 70s and at the time, there were no 4 year engineering programs within several hundred miles.

wemgo fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 6, 2018