Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

polls haven’t even opened across the country yet lol. it’s like 5:45 on the West Coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sapphomoric
Dec 26, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I've taken Wednesday off work so I can get good and drunk, no matter the outcome.

I def should have done that

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Azathoth posted:

Uh, yeah, in anything other than that Dem Scream Death scenario above, the best they could hope to do is ineffectually pass legislation that Trump vetoes.

Well, they can impeach Trump (they should) but he's not getting convicted by the Senate unless Mueller drops a loving bombshell (unlikely) or rank and file Republicans turn on Trump (lol).

Best case scenario, this election is still just about building a base for President Bernie in 2020.

its cool that people are already pre making the excuses for the democratic party not reforming a broken rear end system (the reason is that they don't want to)

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Trump won yet?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I will be driving Lyft for 12 hours today to help people get to the polls just so I can take tomorrow off and get absolutely shithouse to tonight and if anyone's voting Republican I do have an ejector button installed in my car

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I voted in blue-rear end Rhode Island where all the incumbents are prolly gonna win, but even still the polling place was poppin' off at 8:30am.

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

EDIT: Wrong thread

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mila kunis posted:

its cool that people are already pre making the excuses for the democratic party not reforming a broken rear end system (the reason is that they don't want to)

Let's say that every Dem member of the House is suddenly replaced with folks to the left of AOC and every Dem member of the Senate is replaced with folks to the left of Bernie but everything else is the same. Dems don't control the Senate and Trump is still President. What reforms can they do to the system between now and 2020?

If you're talking about intra-party reform, there's tons Dems can and should be doing, but we're talking about Congress here.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Azathoth posted:

Let's say that every Dem member of the House is suddenly replaced with folks to the left of AOC and every Dem member of the Senate is replaced with folks to the left of Bernie but everything else is the same. Dems don't control the Senate and Trump is still President. What reforms can they do to the system between now and 2020?

If you're talking about intra-party reform, there's tons Dems can and should be doing, but we're talking about Congress here.

https://twitter.com/eshaLegal/status/1047907063945461760

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Reminder that if the Democrats take the Senate then Bernie Sanders will be the Chairman of the Budget Committee

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Love Stole the Day posted:

Reminder that if the Democrats take the Senate then Bernie Sanders will be the Chairman of the Budget Committee

drat no wonder the democrats are self sabotaging bad enough to lose the senate

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dems can and should literally shut everything down until 2020 with whatever power they get, but that's still not reform, that's a delaying action. I want to know what reforms can be done with Trump as president vetoing literally anything Dems pass.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Time to die vote

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Azathoth posted:

Dems can and should literally shut everything down until 2020 with whatever power they get, but that's still not reform, that's a delaying action. I want to know what reforms can be done with Trump as president vetoing literally anything Dems pass.

Hahahahahaha

Imagine thinking they won't fast track every trump judge and "bipartisan" policy.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Time to die vote

A New Dad
Nov 10, 2012

I SHOULD FUCK OFF BACK TO C-SPAM
i cant believe how excited i am for the RED WAVE

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I need polls

I’m coming down hard and need to do a fat line of pure schnork

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Love Stole the Day posted:

You act like that will actually change something. I hate to break this to you but we are the party of NY and CA and that means go go go go go Wall Street and venture capital. And as long as we are the party of those states Bernie Sanders can get voters but he has gently caress all influence on policy.

Now let me show you who's really in charge. Let's get us a bipartisan tax deal for good liberal New Yorkers and restrain spending.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

A New Dad posted:

i cant believe how excited i am for the RED WAVE

surfs up

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Azathoth posted:

It's true, there's really little-nothing they can do while they're in the minority, but the way the party's behaving now is actively worse than doing nothing, so even that would be an improvement.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

my polling place in a heavily dem area had NO LINES :sad: #maga

(It's bc PA has like one polling precinct per 10 peoplw lol)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

in PA basically each household gets their own polling machine and the requisite 4 volunteer poll workers all right in your living room, still not sure how the numbers work out on this, they probably import people from nearby states

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
My sister and her husband both essentially turned away from their regular voting location in North Mississippi. Neither appeared in the registration, though they had their official cards. Offered a provisional ballet that won't even be counted, lol

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Hahahahahaha

Imagine thinking they won't fast track every trump judge and "bipartisan" policy.
I agree that Schumer will absolutely roll over, but that's not what I was asking. The question was, and still is, if Dems had the political will and the right politicians in place at this moment, what reforms could they implement prior to 2020.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Where the gently caress's my needle daddy needs his fix

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TheBuilder posted:

My sister and her husband both essentially turned away from their regular voting location in North Mississippi. Neither appeared in the registration, though they had their official cards. Offered a provisional ballet that won't even be counted, lol

tell them to call the ACLU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

docbeard posted:

It's true, there's really little-nothing they can do while they're in the minority, but the way the party's behaving now is actively worse than doing nothing, so even that would be an improvement.

Yeah, they need to grow a spine, I just hate the "LOL Dems won't implement M4A in 2018" crowd, like poo poo like that is even possible.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Azathoth posted:

I agree that Schumer will absolutely roll over, but that's not what I was asking. The question was, and still is, if Dems had the political will and the right politicians in place at this moment, what reforms could they implement prior to 2020.

Pay-go, entitlement cuts, some thing for wall street, something for the tech industry, immigration reform that also targets flooding the tech market with more workers cause tech makes too much.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TheBuilder posted:

866-OUR-VOTE is the ACLU-approved voter suppression fighting hotline.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow numbers not looking good at all so far

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

MysteriousStranger posted:

You act like that will actually change something. I hate to break this to you but we are the party of NY and CA and that means go go go go go Wall Street and venture capital. And as long as we are the party of those states Bernie Sanders can get voters but he has gently caress all influence on policy.

Now let me show you who's really in charge. Let's get us a bipartisan tax deal for good liberal New Yorkers and restrain spending.

You know I love you but counterpoint: Nixon said that if you control the budget you control the government. The Chairman of the Budget Committee has more influence on the budget than anybody else in the entire government.

So imo it toally does make a difference who has that particular committee gavel.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

docbeard posted:

i in a way it's not because they'll do jack poo poo for the obvious political reasons and then lose bigly in 2020 because american voters are stupid and will fall for the "it's the dems' fault!!!" trump rhetoric

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Wow numbers not looking good at all so far

Wrap it up, voteailures

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
It’s pouring here and the forecast calls for rain literally right up until the polls close. A lot of people gonna have to make a decision about if they want to get wet to vote for a bunch of succ dems.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I voted for weed

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

setting up my tent and grill here in the thread, gonna camp out and watch the end of the world with some brats

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
polls close in (most of) Indiana and (half of) Kentucky at 6 Eastern so that's when you should start drinking.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my polling place was a pretty quick wait, but it appears I had just beaten the rush because when I left at like 9:30 it was already almost out the door

I did my bit so I can bitch when the Republicans maintain absolute control despite getting 40% of the vote because our system is rigged, I don't see any way this doesn't end in escalating violence

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
I cucked out and actually voted :/