Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Most days I leave the office by or before 5:30 and I don't have to bill jack poo poo. I'm content with the dramatic trade off in pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah I work 10 to 430, with no time accountability. I don't bill, but I have to sign in by 10 or they'll charge me leave. Once I'm in though, I can disappear for 2 hours+ without anyone caring. So long as my work gets done.

I know some of y'all like the work and money and prestige, but I know I couldn't work that hard. Im guessing the firm's at oci could see my lack of grind and that's why I was screened out. Also I believe profit is a moral wrong.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Yuns posted:

This is true.

Lol if you think our realization on associate time is anywhere close to 100%. Time and billing get written off all the time. There's the time lawyers bill then we have to review the bill and write off time then it goes to the client who asks for additional discounts on top of their negotiated rates or sends the bill to their internal review teams to dispute items or takes their sweet time paying it. There's loss at every step of the process until payment shows up in the firm account.
Partners work similarly long hours. Even on my few vacations I'm on calls most of the time. The busiest people in a large law firm are the most senior associates and most junior partners.

I thought billable time for individual associates was calculated after it was reviewed and some of it was written off?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Saying I read this thread sometimes should be enough to get me out of jury duty today right?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Residency Evil posted:

Saying I read this thread sometimes should be enough to get me out of jury duty today right?

Hell, it should get you beat up outright.

E: My billing is dogshit this year but it doesn't matter because nobody who works mid (norwegian definition) small (US definition for sure) should ever have a billable requirement. It's picking up though, the last part of this year has been crazy.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alexeythegreat posted:

I thought billable time for individual associates was calculated after it was reviewed and some of it was written off?

I'm not sure if that happens anywhere; if it does, only at the absolute worst firms where no human being should work.1 There's a partner at my firm who has a reputation for cutting associate time like that and basically no one will work with him but first and second years (because they have no choice). I'm not sure anything could make associates revolt against our oppressors in a violent rampage faster than them loving with our time like that.

We can get a talking to if too much of our time gets written off, but that would really only happen in a case of padding so extreme and shameless that it looks bad for the firm. Really there's no incentive for a billing attorney to want to do that either. When I get a prebill where it's clear some moron first year has inflated it, whether deliberately or through incompetence, I slash it before it goes to the client and it looks like they're getting a nice lil discount, because I care so deeply about them or whatever, the associate still gets full credit, and everyone's happy

1: insert obvious joke here

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Doesn't WLRK not bill clients by the hour? Maybe their associates don't track hours either?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Firms use all kinds of metrics to evaluate performance and productivity, like collections and time actually billed. But usually for billable requirements the gross figure is what they use as others have said.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm not sure if that happens anywhere; if it does, only at the absolute worst firms where no human being should work.1 There's a partner at my firm who has a reputation for cutting associate time like that and basically no one will work with him but first and second years (because they have no choice). I'm not sure anything could make associates revolt against our oppressors in a violent rampage faster than them loving with our time like that.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Firms use all kinds of metrics to evaluate performance and productivity, like collections and time actually billed. But usually for billable requirements the gross figure is what they use as others have said.

Well then. Good thing that the billable hours goal at my last firm was wishful thinking, not an implicit rule

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Throatwarbler posted:

Doesn't WLRK not bill clients by the hour? Maybe their associates don't track hours either?

How do Dubai law firms handle it, Throatwarbler?

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

What percentage of your actual work hours is billable hours? Or what I’m actually interested in, how many actual hours do you have to work in order to reach X billables?

Like I probably work about 2200 hours per year at a nonprofit where I have decent but not Government Job-tier work-life balance. My impression of big law types I know is they work way more than me.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I fuckin love Throatwarbler

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

How do Dubai law firms handle it, Throatwarbler?

I will go ahead and assume that it's done through some form of emails

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Dagda posted:

What percentage of your actual work hours is billable hours? Or what I’m actually interested in, how many actual hours do you have to work in order to reach X billables?

Like I probably work about 2200 hours per year at a nonprofit where I have decent but not Government Job-tier work-life balance. My impression of big law types I know is they work way more than me.

Depends, but 70-80% is a good rule of thumb (at least in litigation, no clue on transactional nerds). Goes higher as you get closer to trial and generally bill in bigger blocks of time.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Alexeythegreat posted:

I will go ahead and assume that it's done through some form of emails

How do you bill the work that your Sri Lankan slave does?

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You all live a miserable existence.

Yuuup

Look I’m just here to pay off my loans/save some money and learn poo poo for when I inevitably burn out and go in house. Life becomes a lot easier when you plan to not become partner.

e: I lied life is in no way easier. Caught up on my hours and I billed roughly 230 last month, which includes a few days of "vacation". Go to law school.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 5, 2018

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Pook Good Mook posted:

General Admin 100-000001

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

Sorry I shouldn't have generalized. I know it's different at different firms.

No need to apologize. I appreciate your insight and perspective.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Associates are kind of like kids. They're loud, they make messes, need to be taught everything and are always asking for help cutting out paper and stuff. But you can fire them if they are too annoying. Once you make partner you'll have a corner office and you can hire your actual kids and then you can spend lots of time with them.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
As a cautionary tale for anyone who is considering law school: I'm a senior associate in transactional, and year-to-date, I've billed ~2750 hours.

I would say most of my time spent working is billable - there is not a lot of non-billable admin work (other than entering time).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

For your sake I hope you're raking in cash, because drat that's a lot of billables.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

TheMadMilkman posted:

For your sake I hope you're raking in cash, because drat that's a lot of billables.
Should be at least mid-400s or so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I haven’t had a single billable hour yet because we’re prepaid for basically everything.

I’ll be in court 3-4 days a week from the looks of things. Everything is either when keeping it real goes wrong, someone getting railroaded by the cops because they’re a minority, or some combination of both.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Pook Good Mook posted:

There's a linguistic quirk, maybe left over from the days of the Raj and pith helmets, where runners and executive assistant type workers in the Gulf are referred to using the English term "boy". "Office boy" is an official position i.e. people have it written on their name tags. In an Arab office, Arab office workers sitting at their desks would snap their fingers and be like "go fetch me those documents from the copier, boy!" Was the darnest thing when I first saw it.

"Boys" are typically Indian men in their late 20s to mid 30s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-XznvufPl8

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Oh Jesus Christ, come on

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

This video speaks to me

https://youtu.be/Ff2KCEIck1Q

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yuns, what does your firm's realization rate look like for associate time? My feeling from mid-size firms in my town (20-80 attorneys) is associate realization tends to be at least 85%. Unless someone was bullshitting me, which is totally possible. Even at 85%, take a 5th year associate that someone's billing at $400/hr, 1900 hrs, gets you...$646,000 in the door. A third to overhead, a third to associate salary and bennies, and I can see a third going to partner profit.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Early access to bar prep started today, and the only scheduled days off are Christmas Day (lol Jew) and New Years. With 3 months instead of 2, the daily schedule actually isn’t bad.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Arcturas posted:

Yuns, what does your firm's realization rate look like for associate time? My feeling from mid-size firms in my town (20-80 attorneys) is associate realization tends to be at least 85%. Unless someone was bullshitting me, which is totally possible. Even at 85%, take a 5th year associate that someone's billing at $400/hr, 1900 hrs, gets you...$646,000 in the door. A third to overhead, a third to associate salary and bennies, and I can see a third going to partner profit.
I can't share data from my current firm because I don't feel like getting doxed and losing my job but I can share aggregated anonymized general data from other firms. I'll put together some representative numbers later tonight. We definitely do not try to write off associate time. It gets passed through as much as possible so there is not so much loss there. (unless you're a 1st year, I have clients who will literally put in their engagement letters - no 1st years) I'm more likely to write off my own time than an associates. However, we get loss at the next stages and that applies to partner time as well as associate time.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Arcturas posted:

For what it's worth, STB had a realization of around 89% in 2009 (https://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/more-internal-documents-from-simpson-thacher/). I imagine conditions are much better for most big law firms now compared to then(although rates have increased), so I would bet realization has gone up for big firms since then.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I heard El Chapo's trial had started and they were in the process of juror selection, and they were taking measures to ensure the jurors' identities were kept secret. Honestly lol at the idea of presumption of innocence when you're going into it with the presumption that the jurors are inherently unsafe just for being empanelled.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Going in for an interview, wish me luck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nice piece of fish posted:

May your victory guide you to the rainbow bridge to Valhalla.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Arcturas posted:

Where is your town? Your realization rate looks okay, if a tiny bit low (my recollection from the consulting firms that aggregate data in my city and from my own firm is that 85%+ is pretty normal, so if they're at 85% they might be on the bottom edge).

I have no idea what billing rates for mid-sized firms are in LA, Silicon Valley, or NYC, but in a non-Chicago midwest mid-law firm (using your definition of 20-80 attorneys), you're not billing a 5th year associate out at $400 an hour.

P.S. Mr. Nice - congratulations on the new job. I am very happy for you. :)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alexeythegreat posted:

No. You're gonna get in trouble in your reviews if your time consistently needs to be written off, or gets written off much more than usual - but generally speaking write-offs are considered a partner problem. Everyone knows a lot of write-offs are just the client demanding a discount, the partner making the case fit in the budget given by the client, or the general counsel trying to look productive by finding things to insist be written off (which will always be around the same percentage of the bill, magically enough, especially if an insurance company is paying the bill). That's not on the associate: that goes into the evaluation of how much business the partners bring in for their evaluations and divvying up the loot.

It's only if you're consistently terrible that you do stuff to get time written off that's entirely on you that people are going to be grumpy at your review. If you billed forty hours to nonsense, it all had to be written off, then maybe that goes into the various fudge factors around your evaluations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

SlyFrog posted:

Where is your town? Your realization rate looks okay, if a tiny bit low (my recollection from the consulting firms that aggregate data in my city and from my own firm is that 85%+ is pretty normal, so if they're at 85% they might be on the bottom edge).

I have no idea what billing rates for mid-sized firms are in LA, Silicon Valley, or NYC, but in a non-Chicago midwest mid-law firm (using your definition of 20-80 attorneys), you're not billing a 5th year associate out at $400 an hour.

P.S. Mr. Nice - congratulations on the new job. I am very happy for you. :)

The $400/hr figure isn’t the going rate in my town. I just though we were talking about profit per associate at NYC/LA/SF big law. I think local rates for someone in that age range are at least 25% less, possibly an even higher discount, but I haven’t done a reasonable survey of firms to know what folks are charging.

My realization figure was a lowball guess, glad to know it’s typically higher.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I make 80k regardless of how much or little I work.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Did Alexy ever report back from his interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Did Alexy ever report back from his interview?

If I was less than 1% suspicious he might be sleeping with the fishes for accidentally making a joke about their government I might joke about it.