Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Wizard of Legend is a fun rogue-like, and it goes on sale fairly often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

But the sales are literally for like a dollar off. Wait until next year when it finally hits 3 dollars off.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

CYBEReris posted:

When I was heading towards the endgame of Rogue Legacy I just kept feeling "why am I dealing with danmaku bullets with a boxy platformer hitbox"

Yeah and it totally does the bullshit thing of "you beat the game, wowee! JK that was just one third of the game, the remaining 2/3rds of the game is you running through the exact same content twice, except with bigger numbers and a fuckton more bullets"

Over the years I've really grown to despise games that pad themselves up by having you repeat the same content ad nauseum. Even critically acclaimed games like Nier get away with it, the multiple route thing should have been shat on way more.

Obviously this isn't as big of an issue with rouge likes that are actually good at being rouge likes

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Rogue Legacy scratches an itch I didn't know I had, in a way that other roguelikes can't

The bigger draw is the legacy

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I play rougelikes for a few hours then get bored and I have no idea why I keep buying them

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Over There posted:

I play rougelikes for a few hours then get bored and I have no idea why I keep buying them

Binding of Isaac is the only one that’s kept my interest.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SeANMcBAY posted:

Binding of Isaac is the only one that’s kept my interest.

yeah same, and that was before rebirth ever happened. Once they made the switch I barely kept up with it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spellman posted:

Rogue Legacy scratches an itch I didn't know I had, in a way that other roguelikes can't

The bigger draw is the legacy

Due to enemy scaling the Legacy part ended up making me dislike the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN SD CARD INTO THE SLOT OF MY NINTENDO SWITCH. ITS BROFORCE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE VARIOUS BROS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN ESPLOSION SOUNDS WHEN I SHOOT THE MEGACOCKTER OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY SAVED AMERICA FROM SATAN. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SPECIAL MOVES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY HIGH-FIVING TO SLOW DOWN TIME. 2 HOURS (NON-HIGH-FIVE TIME) INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That guy really likes bro force, I'd say

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just leave the SD card in there, why take it out?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

every night he likes to wind down with some lego harry potter, cut the man some slack

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

every night he likes to wind down with some lego harry potter, cut the man some slack

I don't see why that makes him take out the SD card...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
because it's on different SD card, duh

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

a7m2 posted:

i got diablo 3. what's the most fun class that isn't necromancer? my buddy is playing necromancer and im not sure it'd be fun both playing the same class together

I had a lot of fun playing Wizard when I was playing it on PC. Just spam laser beams and magic missiles everywhere.

People have already talked about the Demon Hunter so I'll also mention that Crusader is pretty fun too. Riding through enemies on a flaming horse and then smashing them with a giant flail never gets old.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ugh, Jesus Christ thread. Now I am going to buy D3 when I get home.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Why do so many people seem to have a deep hatred of D3?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
You don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Most of it is lingering psychological trauma of how bad the game was when it launched.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Over There posted:

I hated grindy lootgames until D3, which I've allowed to wash over me and give my brain those dumb good feels of big numbers that get bigger. It occupies the same space as like a match three game for me.

Also I really hate the writing in everything blizzard does so it's nice not having to play the story at all now. I really can't stress how much better the game is if you just skip all that poo poo and get straight to riftin' and bountyin'.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Over There posted:

Licarn posted:

You don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Most of it is lingering psychological trauma of how bad the game was when it launched.
Lots of this, bit of PC gamers being even more entitled than the average, and general Blizzard hate.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So far on my way to 70 I've read zero flavor/story text and basically auto equipped whatever dropped with up arrows on the left side (except for the crown).

Game plays just fine that way.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Stan Taylor posted:

Also I really hate the writing in everything blizzard does so it's nice not having to play the story at all now. I really can't stress how much better the game is if you just skip all that poo poo and get straight to riftin' and bountyin'.

I’d say it’s worth playing through the story once because it’s bad. Azmodan, the “greatest battlefield commander of all demons”, popping in several times to go “what’s up, here are my current plans and strategies, here’s where to go to stop me, okay bye” is just one of the many completely ridiculous things we’re meant to take seriously. It’s dumb enough to be amusing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM AN SD CARD INTO THE SLOT OF MY NINTENDO SWITCH. ITS BROFORCE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE VARIOUS BROS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN ESPLOSION SOUNDS WHEN I SHOOT THE MEGACOCKTER OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY SAVED AMERICA FROM SATAN. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE SPECIAL MOVES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY HIGH-FIVING TO SLOW DOWN TIME. 2 HOURS (NON-HIGH-FIVE TIME) INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

Very nice :golfclap:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm having a real tough time beating Asgore. Any help?

Should I talk to him three times to lower his atk and Def or would that be better spent attacking?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Also remember that D3 is 6 years old. Lots of time for lots of people to disenfranchise themselves from it because of fatigue or some other reason. Also launch D3 was a spectacle in the worst way.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Over There posted:

Launch Diablo 3 was a really bad game. Reaper of Souls made it good and fun to play.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Al Borland Corpse posted:

I'm having a real tough time beating Asgore. Any help?

Should I talk to him three times to lower his atk and Def or would that be better spent attacking?

I don't know what button it is on Switch but Undertale has a "focus" button that makes your movements more precise, I only ever used it for Asgore and Sans but it's handy when there's a bunch of stuff in the box you need to thread through.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Either look up your county's supervisor of elections website or Google "where do I vote" and you'll get a ton of links that will direct you to the proper place to check.

I am so happy my state moved to vote by mail exclusively. I turned in my ballot two weeks ago, and was already able to check the website to see that it's been accepted and processed for counting tonight.

On top of that, you get automatically registered to vote when you get / renew a driver's license or state ID.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If Caves of Qud ever comes to Switch, you'd never need another turn-based roguelike ever :allears:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CYBEReris posted:

I don't know what button it is on Switch but Undertale has a "focus" button that makes your movements more precise, I only ever used it for Asgore and Sans but it's handy when there's a bunch of stuff in the box you need to thread through.

I don't remember this being mentioned anywhere in the game!

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I need 2 items to complete my Necro Rathma build. Doing billions of damage and dying to one hit is amazing.

What should I play next?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Not a Children posted:

There are tons of roguelikes better than Rogue Legacy. Buy Dead Cells or Crypt of the Necrodancer instead. Isaac if you've got money to burn.

I liked Rogue Legacy better than Dead Cells, personally. Dead Cells just ended up feeling more repetitive to me, and i quit as soon as I beat the final boss the first time. Rogue Legacy pushed me to continue doing multiple NG+ cycles. Some of the characters builds are a lot of fun as you upgrade your stats.

Enter the Gungeon is probably my favorite Rogue-lite on the Switch, though. I haven't played the Switch version but I've dumped nearly 200 hours into the PC version over the last couple years, and I've done just about everything there is to do in it. I still boot it up for a run every now and then.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 6, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Ugh, Jesus Christ thread. Now I am going to buy D3 when I get home.

It's pushing me towards it as well, but I think I'll go physical in case I bounce off.

I'm also just getting into Star Link.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

I feel like I wanna buy a game but idk if i want mario kart or splatoon or diablo or dark souls

If you think you might like it at all and haven't played it before, Dark Souls is really something else. It's probably one of my 2 or 3 favorite games of all time.

KingSlime posted:

Yeah and it totally does the bullshit thing of "you beat the game, wowee! JK that was just one third of the game, the remaining 2/3rds of the game is you running through the exact same content twice, except with bigger numbers and a fuckton more bullets"

Wha? It's been a while since I played it, but I thought the final boss was the final boss and NG+ is just an option thing if you want to keep progressing your stats.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 6, 2018

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I played through to sen's fortress on PC, but this was before the remaster and I didn't really have much of any invaders/assistance. Then I accidentally aggroed the smith by saving and loading up near him (pressed to load one too many times and i was already attacking as the screen faded in) so I kinda lost my desire to play it for a very long time.

Idk, just debating about whether it would be more fun with a more active community or whether i value my own sanity too much to start it over again

Also in the meantime I bought mario kart

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SettingSun posted:

Also remember that D3 is 6 years old. Lots of time for lots of people to disenfranchise themselves from it because of fatigue or some other reason. Also launch D3 was a spectacle in the worst way.

Even pre launch, D3 was headed to spectacular drama. The colourful and more cartoonish art style, the complaint that it was all kidified etc etc. And then the auction house turned out to be a huge disaster (surprising no one) and the other problems people have mentioned.

For whatever reason Diablo — which is ultimately a kind of chill out fanchise where you break the difficulty over your knee with builds that abuse the complicated mechanics to make every encounter trivial — has attracted a particularly passionate community of players who see themselves as hardcore.

Which is how you get Path of Exile where the selling point is “we took Diablo 2 and made it MORE obscure and tiny number heavy”.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Nuclear Throne loving owns for twin stick roguelikes. I'd love a Switch version.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Wha? It's been a while since I played it, but I thought the final boss was the final boss and NG+ is just an option thing if you want to keep progressing your stats.

Ehh the first playthrough is really short and you're not gonna get all the unlocks such as the stronger weapons/armor until you go through ng++, I personally didn't feel like the game was over after you cleared the castle for the first time. There's still all sorts of gaps in the item screen/town unlocks if I recall correctly.

At any rate, I didn't feel like I would have gotten my money's worth from just one NG run.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Barudak posted:

Due to enemy scaling the Legacy part ended up making me dislike the game.

I suppose some people felt this was cheap, but it works well enough, and the scaling affected the enemy attack patterns aswell, which you had to relearn how to avoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

il serpente cosmico posted:

I am so happy my state moved to vote by mail exclusively. I turned in my ballot two weeks ago, and was already able to check the website to see that it's been accepted and processed for counting tonight.

On top of that, you get automatically registered to vote when you get / renew a driver's license or state ID.

I live in Florida now, I am signed up for vote by mail but actually stopped by an early voting location last week and did it then. When I lived in NY I was lucky enough to be literally down the street from the polling location and I worked nights so it was pretty easy to vote then too. For as progressive as some things are in NY, they need to update their voting stuff sooner rather than later.