Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rewatched The Accidental Terrorist. Funny ep, but weirdly ignores canon:

-Peggy’s car breaks down and Hank immediately agrees to buy a new one for $22k. He makes no attempt to fix or even look at her car, and that much money should be way out of the Hill’s budget.

-When buying a new truck in an earlier ep, Hank was fully prepared to negotiate the price.

-Bobby wants to buy a new GameStation and Hank is all for it. He isn’t a fan of vidja games.

-The police investigation of the car lot explosion seems indifferent. It must have caused near a million in damages and involved bombs. Arlen police just send two patrol officers (no detectives) and only seem to look at one security tape. How is there only one security camera? It’s a huge lot, and Ted Danson cared enough to have a security guard.

Still a good ep, I liked the montage of Hank buying five cars over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Rewatched The Accidental Terrorist. Funny ep, but weirdly ignores canon:

-When buying a new truck in an earlier ep, Hank was fully prepared to negotiate the price.

-Bobby wants to buy a new GameStation and Hank is all for it. He isn’t a fan of vidja games.

That first point always bugged me too, that earlier episode even ends with Hank telling Bobby to pretend he hates the new truck so they can haggle for it.

As for Hank liking games he does have an episode where he gets hooked on one. I'm not sure it comes before The Accidental Terrorist but it might explain that behavior. He's relapsing.

But yeah, the sticker price naivite makes no sense, it should have been a different character or product.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hank bought his other cars from a guy he trusts. He didn't trust that new guy at the truck dealership.

But yeah, him not even trying to fix the car is way out of character.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm rewatching KOTH and the pilot episode makes clear Hank has no idea how to fix his truck. I can't recall if he shows more talent later on, but Luanne is the one who fixes the minor problem with the starter.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

This also brings up the problem of Luanne being an auto repair savant in the early episodes and then losing that entirely. That's more excusable as an early growing pain but it's still noticeable.

Edit- beaten like fiddy men

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Bobby saved up his own money so he can buy whatever he wants

Hank wasn't a fan of pre-ripped jeans either

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

This also brings up the problem of Luanne being an auto repair savant in the early episodes and then losing that entirely. That's more excusable as an early growing pain but it's still noticeable.

doesnt she get pretty pretty truck truck running again?

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

abigserve posted:

Pay her the money, friend, I ain't gonna ask again!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

"Well don't we just look like a couple of movie stars!"

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

The Bible posted:

Hank bought his other cars from a guy he trusts. He didn't trust that new guy at the truck dealership.

But yeah, him not even trying to fix the car is way out of character.

Buying a truck in Chasing Bobby is one good but of evidence why Hank is out of character, but not as much as the fact that Hank is himself a salesman. There's no way someone in his line of work wouldn't know that cars can be negotiated.

Chasing Bobby also has one of the funniest bits in the show. That's when Boomhaur makes the joke in the alley at Hanks expense. I can't find a clip and I won't even begin to try to type it accurately.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Master Twig posted:

Buying a truck in Chasing Bobby is one good but of evidence why Hank is out of character, but not as much as the fact that Hank is himself a salesman. There's no way someone in his line of work wouldn't know that cars can be negotiated.

Chasing Bobby also has one of the funniest bits in the show. That's when Boomhaur makes the joke in the alley at Hanks expense. I can't find a clip and I won't even begin to try to type it accurately.

What do you call the difference between a man and a little squirt gun? - What? - Hank.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheKingslayer posted:

The sheriff is such a piece of poo poo during the Debbie murder investigation. Like, wow.

So exactly like a real cop?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

It was something of a silent tragedy that she never realized how much of a good fit she would have been in mechanic work if she wasn't so dedicated to beauty school.

gently caress that bitch in her class that was always giving her poo poo for no reason.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeeaaah, that's right you backwater hicks! You missed Buck agaaaaiiiin!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Dang it dale, it already happened once. What are the chances it happens again?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

What do you call the difference between a man and a little squirt gun? - What? - Hank.

Yes, that's the joke, if translated properly. But that doesn't convey Boomhaur's delivery at all, which is what makes it so drat funny.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You know who I didn't like? Didi. She has weird diction.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Is that a kiwi in there? You know how I feel about hairy fruits.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

You know who I didn't like? Didi. She has weird diction.

Cotton didn't marry her for her diction.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I’m sorry I’m late, but I had to take three busses. One to get here, one to go back and get GH, and one to get here again.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I need some me time! To do the laundry.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Wicker Man posted:

It was something of a silent tragedy that she never realized how much of a good fit she would have been in mechanic work if she wasn't so dedicated to beauty school.

gently caress that bitch in her class that was always giving her poo poo for no reason.

Sharona Johnson? Yea she was a real ho.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 6, 2018

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Sharona Johnson is always studying

it's not fair

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

My name is Jimmy. I work at the car race where the cars race.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Will never not laugh at that edited picture of doobie as Jimmy Witchard

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

TheKingslayer posted:

I need some me time! To do the laundry.

I had a baby three weeks ago and this quote has been rattling around in my head ever since because it is the truest poo poo ever said.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I had a baby three weeks ago and this quote has been rattling around in my head ever since because it is the truest poo poo ever said.

Aww congratulations and yes, approximately 40% of sitcom jokes you didn't get before will now fall into place automatically. Little Ricky effect :science:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlT3bUNlLg

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Bobby and Connie episodes in season 5 and 6 are some real turbo cringe. More end of 5 beginning of 6.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The only Bobby and Connie episode I really like is the one where Bill gives him relationship advice and directly ruins their friendship

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

The only Bobby and Connie episode I really like is the one where Bill gives him relationship advice and directly ruins their friendship

Yep that's the one I just finished. Bobby showing up as Cupid is... wow.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

The reincarnation of a Lama possibly being Bobby episode was pretty funny just for Peggy letting it go to her head.

Your child's an honor student? Well my son is god to millions of Asians!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Yep that's the one I just finished. Bobby showing up as Cupid is... wow.

I'm your little candy man.....

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Kidney boy is probably my favorite bobby and connie but none of them are great

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lama bobby was the only good episode about bobby and connie

i guess the one where connie joins wrestling is pretty great but that's not really about bobby and connie, that's more of a bobby and connie fix a problem created by peggy raging against the system

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Nooner posted:

Kidney boy is probably my favorite bobby and connie but none of them are great

Where's Gribble's kidney, ese? I lined up a buyer in Caracas. He outbid this dude in Ireland by forty euros.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
title IX, Dick Nixon's biggest mistake

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

When Hank is relieved to hear that Bobby was half naked in Connie's room, I used to parse it as 'oh he's just glad Bobby is showing maturity".

But, having moved to a rural area even more famous for gay-bashing than Texas (they found Matthew Shepherd just down the road from here) I don't know. 'That boy ain't right' huh? Hmm.

Luckily the show ended over a decade ago so dredging up how it's politics can be ugly is a dull edge. Unlike some cartoon families...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That scene is absolutely Hank being relieved that Bobby is straight.