Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

I always relied on fishing as well. I actually have several characters saved with little homes/sheds/drying huts but I always become bored at that point. Then I go off and fight the njerps, die, and not play for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sounds about right. On another topic, I've become madly addicted to Rise to Ruins. Getting a village going is great fun. Only issue I'm having right now is bolstering the population. Despite having plenty of vacancies in my houses, I'm only getting 2-3 nomads every few days if I'm lucky.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Qubee posted:

Unreal World is awesome, but man did I end up relying on fishing a tonne. I had a cellar full of dried / smoked fish. I gave hunting a go, but I'd lose the animal's tracks too often, or I'd miss a bunch of shots and not land a killing blow.

I tried making those spike pit traps to herd animals into, but you need to make them so long to be effective and I quickly lost motivation and went back to fishing. It's the one food source that's reliably dependent.

Get a dog, a dog makes hunting animals so much easier. Don't even need a bow/javelins. Just sic the dog on them and follow the barking to find your dog harrasing an exhausted animal, then just spear it a few times.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Or if you don't have a dog, it's best to go hunting in the wide open bog areas filled with those little marshes and lakes. With a little practice I got pretty decent at endurance hunting stags out there. The tracks are easier to follow in the open, and animals sometimes get caught up around the water, making it easy to run them down. Hunting animals in the woods is really drat difficult.

Trap fences also work best if you can find natural choke-points to set them up at. On one of my old characters a long time ago I had a pretty nice setup on this little peninsula along the coast:

There were a couple of narrow entrances and I had all of them blocked off. It was incredibly effective and I was swimming in meat after a while. One time even a family of wolves ran into those pits.

That character got killed by a bear though. Don't gently caress with the bears in that game. :tbear:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In older versions I’d make javelins and if my first throw missed I’d leave the animal alone. But if you get a good hit in its super easy to follow a wounded and bleeding animal.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

Is there a good guide, or like, competent LPer that does Unreal World around? I've tried to get into it a few times but oof, it's rough.

There's a relatively dead thread in these here forums, FYI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765969

Fishing is a good start, but the real moneymaker is a trap fence set in a natural choke point between two bodies of water. Once a herd rolls through you'll end up with more meat than you'll know what to do with and at that point you'll just be dragging cured/smoked meat from town to town hoping to find better tools/weapons/armor.

Get a dog ASAP if you want to persistence hunt. They'll chase your quarry down for you and you can follow the sound of the barks to wherever it drops from exhaustion/blood loss. They're a game changer.

E; The aforementioned trap fence should happen once you have a basic shelter and smokehouse set up btw, otherwise the meat just rots. I usually set up a base of operations a few squares from the place where I want to put the fence; preferably near some rapids since the fishing tends to be better there.

Once I have a decent cabin put together I'll spend my mornings fishing up enough grub to last a day or two, then heading over to my trap fence site to make stakes, dig holes, and build pit traps. Don't use spike traps, you're guaranteed to accidentally fall into one or two and a broken bone or some bruising is a lot better than getting skewered by your own trap. Plus, 75% of the time the pit traps won't kill your prey, which means you get to practice your melee skills by bashing them to death.

You can pepper your cabin area with some snare traps if birds or other small game are going after your food stores too, but don't expect to thrive on them, they're more just for protecting what you already have. I've literally never messed with farming, but supposedly it's viable if you do an early spring start. It's just ridiculously tedious imo; clubbing elk to death to get the best fur possible is so much more satisfying.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 25, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any tips on not losing dogs? I'd lose a bunch during hunting, cause my dog would run off and then I wouldn't know where he is.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Qubee posted:

Any tips on not losing dogs? I'd lose a bunch during hunting, cause my dog would run off and then I wouldn't know where he is.

Odd. Most of the time they'll wander back to you if you don't move too far off. I've never really had a problem with it. That said, I didn't start messing with them until I'd gotten a good handle on navigating the world and the basics of survival.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

So my dog hunting usually goes two ways: I open with a bow shot that hopefully lames or cripples whatever I'm hunting, or I blow the shot entirely. Either way, even a wounded elk can outsprint you, so unless you're somewhere where it's super easy to track stuff (an open mire, which make the best hunting grounds) it's best practice to sic the dog.

After you release it, just walk in the direction it ran off. Don't hurry too much, keep your fatigue low in case the animal gets chased back and you get another shot. Max zoom out (ctrl-) lets you try to keep things in your vision but you'll most likely lose sight of them before the deer tires out, even if it's wounded. Wounded stuff tires faster, so if you manage to ding it at the start your dog will certainly catch it. Just listen for the barking (use 5 to wait). If you didn't hit it and send your dog on a goose chase, sometimes it actually works out, your dog will catch it's leg and slow it, or something else will happen and you'll hear barking. If you don't hear barking, odds are it got away from your dog. If that happens, literally just use ~ to wait around for a few hours. Worst case make a shelter for the night. It'll come back, unless it got got (which does happen)

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

NatasDog posted:

Fishing is a good start, but the real moneymaker is a trap fence set in a natural choke point between two bodies of water. Once a herd rolls through you'll end up with more meat than you'll know what to do with and at that point you'll just be dragging cured/smoked meat from town to town hoping to find better tools/weapons/armor.
I was going to say this too. Haven't played in a couple years but once I had enough fish to sustain myself a bit I made a choke point and pit trap and suddenly had ridiculous amounts of meat. Every time I went back to the trap there was another animal in it basically.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Spyde posted:

I was going to say this too. Haven't played in a couple years but once I had enough fish to sustain myself a bit I made a choke point and pit trap and suddenly had ridiculous amounts of meat. Every time I went back to the trap there was another animal in it basically.

This is how I roll:

Just realized my posts over on the old thread pretty much mimic what I said above.

E; When a reindeer herd rolls through, it's basically a day's work just killing them all with blunt attacks to the head to train my fighting skill.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Since the thread for it seems to be dead, quick question about Neo Scavenger: what is the best way to put things on straps over your shoulder? There doesn't seem to be any way to drag and drop, which is what I normally do. Best case seems to be having both hands full then "taking" it, which then defaults to your shoulder.

Game surprisingly good btw. I love "common sense" crafting systems

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Some suff has to have a "strap" (just item + a medium string in vanilla) - guns, compound bow, hardened (but not broad strangely) spears, medkits maybe. Other stuff like duffle bags come with straps. Click drag is correct, if it doesn't go, it either needs a strap or just won't. Pretty arbitrary imo. The mod "shouldered" adds more common sense to it, though you'll see it's hard to adapt the engine to every given possibility of shouldering things.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I've been enjoying ICY: Frostbite edition. Just started it the other day and it has some interesting mechanics.

I also just found that you can basically keep doing loops around the area for loot that apparently respawns and then go to the Windmill weapon shop to sell your stuff. He seems to give good prices.

Fun game!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
At work so I can't check but what's the current state of Oxygen Not Included and is there perhaps even a hazy chance of them reaching 1.0 soon-ish? I've enjoyed all of their previous games so I'll be getting in on the action as soon as the game is finished but not a second earlier since I only buy stuff I want to play and I don't want to play an unfinished game.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lordfrikk posted:

At work so I can't check but what's the current state of Oxygen Not Included and is there perhaps even a hazy chance of them reaching 1.0 soon-ish? I've enjoyed all of their previous games so I'll be getting in on the action as soon as the game is finished but not a second earlier since I only buy stuff I want to play and I don't want to play an unfinished game.

ONI thread right here.

AFAIK they’re done adding features and the next few updates will be about polish and balancing. Sounds like 1.0 in like three months.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks! Can't wait to play it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Vasler posted:

I've been enjoying ICY: Frostbite edition.

Glad you liked it! There's a certain fight near the end of the game I'll be very interested to hear about when you get to it. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

ONI is very, very good at the moment, and has a little more balancing before 1.0. Honestly a masterpiece.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

dylguy90 posted:

Glad you liked it! There's a certain fight near the end of the game I'll be very interested to hear about when you get to it. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

ONI is very, very good at the moment, and has a little more balancing before 1.0. Honestly a masterpiece.

I beat the game yesterday and I'm not sure I know what fight you're talking about! The last fight was fun but I enlisted the wolf pack to fight for me so I avoided one combat.

Great game overall, I really enjoyed it.

If anyone has any other recommendations of games to play I'd love to see them. For some reason I really love these janky survival games.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh, that's what I was talking about. I had an almost maxed out group and still had to spam grenades to have any chance.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been holding off on ONI, only playing it a few hours, but every update looks really good and I'm looking forward to trying it out again later.

I just installed Stationeers again because it also looks like it's gotten a bunch of great updates, so I'm going to mess around with its hydroponics.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I broke my no Early Access rule and bought ONI too, played for a few hours. Honestly at this point I'd almost believe the notion that Klei can do no wrong. I haven't played their earliest, Shank, but everything afterwards ranged from very good to amazing.

Also played about 6 hours of The Forest and right now I don't know how to progress. I know there is more unique loot to be found but running around the map is not very fun because it feels so aimless. I can't kill any of the mutants because they're stupidly powerful and I only have skull club with maximum damage and a few molotovs. I explored the Hanging Cave but then got promptly killed after lowering myself into the baby pit. Any tips?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
ONI is a good idea but its very much a "bounce your head off of the wall until you get it or look at a guide" which was a little annoying. I enjoyed it though.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had a blast on it for a solid 15-25 hours, but I've reached a point where the whole "bang your head against a wall" requirement has worn thin on my patience. Going into the game blind, only to realise you've got to tear up a bunch of stuff you've done, redo it, and try and maintain your dupes' happiness in the meantime is a huge pain in the rear end, even moreso when the thing you're redoing is your oxygen supply room. Cycles are also very short and things can take a long time to get done.

I really enjoyed my time with ONI but I totally burned out on it very quickly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Ah. Apparently you haven’t played Factorio. You should avoid that game if ONI made you frustrated.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Ah. Apparently you haven’t played Factorio. You should avoid that game if ONI made you frustrated.

I was actually going to put in my post that Factorio is a game that does it right. I've got a ridiculous amount of hours on that game.

The reason Factorio is perfect is because things don't break and come to a standstill if you're a spaghetti mess. You just aren't as efficient, but things still work. You can plonk down a really shoddy manufacturing line, and it can still technically carry you through to the end-game. In ONI, if you're not making perfect (or close to perfect) systems, everything grinds to a halt and you'll more often than not end up restarting. With Factorio, it's a lot more forgiving. You can make an absolutely atrocious mess of a base and still progress through the research tree, it's just a headache in the long-run. In ONI, god forbid you don't set things up properly from the get-go, or you're doomed to spend cycles and cycles fixing all your stuff and probably having a tonne of things that can end a colony happen.

My first few playthroughs of Vanilla, I got all the way to the end of the research tree and I was a spaghetti scrub. My trains were garbage, but functional. My bases were disgusting and hugely inefficient, but still churned out the stuff I needed. My next playthroughs, I knew what to expect, so I could optimize from the get-go, but it was a much more forgiving learning curve. ONI is like "you can McGyver this stuff together in the early game, but god forbid you don't fix it down the line, cause it'll either cause outright suffocation, heat death, or death by germs".

I've restarted an ONI colony and 99% of the time, it's because it's a lost cause and everything is breaking. In Factorio, the only time I've ever restarted are due to the fact my OCD gets the better of me, but even then you can resist the urge and just redo the factory in segments and still keep on trucking. That's what I started doing, I'd just load a huge train up with base resources and go off into the distance and make a brand new shiny megafactory that was efficient and beautiful.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 6, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I have to say that my experience with ONI was not like that at all. I just hit 900 hours yesterday. I’m not very good at the game but I just keep puttering along. I got very frustrated with Factorio because my stuff was always a big mess and I hated that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I have to say that my experience with ONI was not like that at all. I just hit 900 hours yesterday. I’m not very good at the game but I just keep puttering along. I got very frustrated with Factorio because my stuff was always a big mess and I hated that.

One of ONI's problems is that it is wildly inefficient to reorganize your base once you get better tech, so your colony tends to be stitched together with band-aids and twine. You really have to have a full understanding of the tech tree from the start to make a halfway functioning base that doesn't die from oxygen/power loss or heat exhaustion.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mayveena posted:

Oni frustrated me and i loving loved Factorio. The problem with Oni is that its usually not clear what's causing you to death spiral. With Factorio its pretty clear what's messing you up and even if you mess up you can engineer around it. My first factory was such a mess of spaghetti :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It took me way too long to realize that ONI = Oxygen Not Included.

Everything that Kei does is awesome and I am trying not to burn out on it before release.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

One of ONI's problems is that it is wildly inefficient to reorganize your base once you get better tech, so your colony tends to be stitched together with band-aids and twine. You really have to have a full understanding of the tech tree from the start to make a halfway functioning base that doesn't die from oxygen/power loss or heat exhaustion.

But see I like that part. It IS very true that ONI does a poor job in letting you know about long term issues like heat until everything has literally burnt up. I got the oxygen part fairly early so I've never had oxygen issues.

Factorio on the other hand makes it seem so daunting to fix everything. You CAN fix everything but I just want to throw in the towel instead.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Someone who played more than a little of both unlike me, how is ONI comparable to Rimworld?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Someone who played more than a little of both unlike me, how is ONI comparable to Rimworld?

Totally different. ONI's problems tend to be internal rather than Rimworld's primarily external, random problems. It would be closer to something like Banished on a super high level, but the gas and liquid flow mechanics kind of put it on it's own level.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Phew I thought ONI was that bus simulator. And then was really stunned when someone said they had over 900 hours in it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I’m not THAT sick!!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
On the otherhand, trying to survive in a bus for 900 hr seem like it could be a good game if done right

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I think they called that game death road to Canada

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

People here not knowing the true bus survival game, Desert Bus

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Nyaa posted:

On the otherhand, trying to survive in a bus for 900 hr seem like it could be a good game if done right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7cgd8WOkDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ark is currently in a free week right now, with a discount. If you've been wondering about it, now's the time to look into it. The final expac releases today (maybe). Just don't play on the Official servers, do singleplayer for now. Eventually you will want to tweak some settings to make it more singleplayer friendly, or find an unofficial server to join, but never ever join Officials.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 6, 2018