Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/t7dgqe/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-daily-show-rock----mid-term-elections

:sax: It's the Midterm Elections song!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dog Pipes posted:

weighing up whether or not to get more beer.

:chloe:

how is this a choice and not just an action you take

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

this is so different from the current system in many states where you go to a computer and click on what you want to vote for and then just trust that that vote actually gets counted in the spreadsheet in that computer and theres not a program running in the computer that just pretends to take your vote then spits out what a guy programmed it to spit out the night before

It's too bad there's no other way to do things but those two options

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hellofasandwich/status/1059922990526353415

it begins

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Epic High Five posted:

won't get much out of Indiana even then, we have a tiny corner that closes at 7p and the whole state withholds results until then
I have fond memories of 2016 right after the Kentucky results started coming in and weren’t anything special, and kellyanne conway went on cnn with her face in more of a rictus than usual and talked through gritted teeth about how well they’d done to keep it competitive into Election Day and what a great boost to future conservative movements the trump campaign had been, and for the first time in a year I relaxed and knew for sure he wasn’t gonna win.

lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dear america,

Don't gently caress this one up like you did the last one

Love, Canada.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

horray for those guambats i guess

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

people in this thread genuinely arguing against universal access to mail-in-ballots have some serious Stockholm syndrome going on

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

I live in Oregon, so I dropped of my ballot a week ago, but y'all have fun at the polls today.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

:chloe:

how is this a choice and not just an action you take

Good news! I did. Don't have to start work until noon tomorrow, so in for penny etc

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
they'll never become a state now

the us army will still love the recruits though

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

Dear america,

Don't gently caress this one up like you did the last one

Love, Canada.

sut da gently caress up

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
who the gently caress is canda show yourself

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Dirk Pitt posted:

Imagine me posting this:

While riding public transit to my guaranteed job that has unlimited sick time and 30 days of vacation a year. Or while riding public transit to visit my wife in the hospital where she pays $10 a day for a stay.

Then picture me posting this while driving down a toll road in Edmond Oklahoma.

I can say like three phrases in Swedish, will you gay marry me so I can escape this hell country? I'm a professional computer toucher and don't like talking in public, I feel like I would get along well in Sverige.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

moist turtleneck posted:

they'll never become a state now

why not?

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

oh poo poo I forgot to buy beer

because i was busy going to the liquor store. let it begin, America.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LGD posted:

#1 is true to some extent, but the idea that there are legions of abused people out there who can only find release through the sanctity of the secret ballot has always seemed like an extremely specious reason to stick with in-person voting, especially given the amount of external fuckery/intimidation/etc. in-person voting exposes you to

if your state has loads of "external fuckery/intimidation/etc." for in-person voting then maybe mail is better, but friendly reminder that not everyone lives in a state with garbage laws like that

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is a good time to go to bed. Let the pieces fall where they may.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Dog Pipes posted:

1.5 hours until the first polls close.

Watching in across the pond and weighing up whether or not to get more beer.

If you are watching our elections you should be drinking like a true American: Bourbon and meth

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

horray for those guambats i guess

I believe they're called Guambos

Lessail posted:

who the gently caress is canda show yourself

no

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nytimes currently has five, just five, election forecast needles in play. 3 for House, 2 for Senate.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

trmp will drop a bunch of poo poo on one side of the guam and flip that island the gently caress over into the ocean

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Vox Nihili posted:

Nytimes currently has five, just five, election forecast needles in play. 3 for House, 2 for Senate.

where were you when the needle stopped moving that november day

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Vox Nihili posted:

:getin:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Northern Mariana Islands would also be voting on the governor today, were it not for the fact that they got devastated by Super Typhoon Yutu two weeks ago.

The election has been delayed a week (not that the current governor is expected to be unseated)

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

please sweet baby jesus i'm praying for that wave!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

oh Lord God in heaven grant us a blue wave. Let us dance to the lamentations of our enemies.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I can say like three phrases in Swedish, will you gay marry me so I can escape this hell country? I'm a professional computer toucher and don't like talking in public, I feel like I would get along well in Sverige.

Sweden is amazing - for Swedes/Scandos.

When I lived in Sweden as an EU citizen, I had to pay the equivalent of $22 to see a doctor. Cheap, I know, but coming from the UK a bit of a shock paying about £20 to see a doctor for 10 mins. Mind you, if I didn't have my EHIC card, could have been more.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
congratulations to guam for embracing the wisdom of juche

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Wolf Blitzer begins election night coverage by remarking on a lovely rainbow sitting over the capitol. Off to a roaring start

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

If you are watching our elections you should be drinking like a true American: Bourbon and meth

i think meth might have been displaced by oxycontin or fentanyl by now

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crakkerjakk posted:

The problem with universal mail in ballots is:

1) Secret Ballot: If you live with someone who disagrees with you politically, the secrecy of your vote is less secure than in-person voting.
2) Lack of Security: It's pretty easy for mailed ballots to go "missing" if a variety of people in the chain of custody are fuckheads.

It's convenient as hell, and a good way to bump up participation, but it's not without it's downsides.

Yeah, I am especially concerned with #1. The secret ballot is really important and there are absolutely people in unsafe situations at home who would have parents or a spouse being in the room either influence or outright change their vote. I'm in full support of voting taking place over an extended period of time and it being insanely easy to vote in lots of convenient places at whatever hours work for you. And I think if you have a legitimate reason none of that would work for you then a mail in ballot should be an option. But I don't like universal mail in ballots.

bawfuls posted:

you can also bypass both of these issues by filling out your mail-in-ballot at home, and then dropping it off at the polling place on election day. This makes the logistics of voting much simpler for the voter, and reduces lines at the polls

That bypasses the second issue but does nothing to address the first one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Vox Nihili posted:

they need to make one of those things where you can embed it into websites and we need to embed all 5 into every page on cspam

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LGD posted:

#1 is true to some extent, but the idea that there are legions of abused people out there who can only find release through the sanctity of the secret ballot has always seemed like an extremely specious reason to stick with in-person voting, especially given the amount of external fuckery/intimidation/etc. in-person voting exposes you to

The reason the SD supreme court gave for disenfranchising entire reservations was literally that it wouldn't effect many people so it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter if there's only a handful of people that it would seriously impact. It still seriously impacts those people and those people's votes matter.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I can do the Bourbon, but the meth just isn't a thing here. For better or worse, like...

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mail in voting is amazing, I voted a week ago.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/benchmarkpol/status/1059929654604259329

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Peachfart posted:

Mail in voting is amazing, I voted a week ago.

That's not a unique thing for mail in voting though - I voted a month ago at an early voting location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So serious question here

If the Dems take the house, and the Reps keep the senate, what's to stop Trump from just doing everything by executive order with no consequences whatsoever while absolutely nothing passes both houses of congress.