Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The finally fixed storage container 1 and also you can stack containers now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

The finally fixed storage container 1 and also you can stack containers now.

I still can't place storage container 1. Says I'm limited to one no matter what base I'm at.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Thundarr posted:

I still can't place storage container 1. Says I'm limited to one no matter what base I'm at.

It fixed for me. :stare: Now I am worried to try it elsewhere.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just spent over an hour following the Current Mission warp route to try to find a toxic world with an ocean, only to discover there was one literally one system over from my home base.

At least in the process I found a hot planet with an ocean, which I've never seen before (and is step 3 on the week 7 mission)

E: S rank engine upgrades for the Nautilon say they improve boost, but as best as I can tell there is no boost mod for the Nautilon in the first place. And no mining laser upgrades either?

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 4, 2018

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

So I decided to go through a black hole since my quest target is about 400k lightyears away.
When I come out, my target is now 1.5m lightyears away.

Oh and a part of my ship broke of course. :nutshot:

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Ssthalar posted:

So I decided to go through a black hole since my quest target is about 400k lightyears away.
When I come out, my target is now 1.5m lightyears away.

Oh and a part of my ship broke of course. :nutshot:

Welcome to Black Holes. Part of your ship will always break, so it's the one advantage of having a ship with only base components.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

On the bright side, any time a black hole sends you dramatically off course you can just use a station to warp back to where you were before you went through it. Either way, black holes are a lovely way to get around just because of how they work, unless the only thing you care about is "I want to explore somewhere that is very far from where I am now".

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Does anyone know of a launch fuel reduction/removal mod that works with the latest version of the game? Any that I've found so far just don't do anything, it's still the same number of launches until I run out of fuel. And I find the mechanic itself pointless and tedious enough that I don't feel like I'd be cheating by just modding it out of existence.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It never really bothered me in the Normal difficulty, but it's so tedious and annoying in Survival.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Love that in a game with infinite procedurally generated environments and space monsters, the most dangerous things are those stupid loving clams

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

what's the underwater content like? subnautica lite?

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Penpal posted:

what's the underwater content like? subnautica lite?

Extremely lite. The planetary terrain generation method (playdough over fixed core) ensures that I've never encountered oceans deeper than about fifty, maybe a hundred feet on the dozen or so planets I've hopped to so far with water.

So, you can roam for ten minutes, but you'll not see anything you didn't see ten minutes ago. Occasionally you'll stumble into a cool cave formation.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's pretty thin really.

Some points of interest can now spawn underwater, like sunken abandoned buildings or crashed freighters, and it's visually more interesting. Everything else added pretty much just feeds into exploring the variations that introduces to the core gameplay of finding cool screenshots.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah it's basically more pretty screenshots and a couple of new resource types. At least salt is way easier to find now since basically every underwater biome is filthy with at least one form of salt-bearing rock.

There are no sentinels underwater so instead you will randomly get angry jellies attacking you when you mine things.

Also you can get eaten by a giant anglerfish thing.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, undersea bases are cool and chill as gently caress.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm guessing the free freighter is still bugged to hell? I defended one early on and talked to the captain, he acted like he was giving it to me but it still came up with a price to buy that was way out of my range. But then after that it still gave me options to transfer items to it. So I tossed a few minerals in and then kind of forgot about it until a few jumps later when I tried to summon it and was told I didn't own a freighter. So then a few hours later I came across another one in a different system, defended it from pirates, got the same dialogue as if it was being offered to me for free but again it had a purchase price. Backed out of that and once again it allows me to transfer items to it. Found the items I'd left on the other one a while back, but still I don't own it. Working great! :thumbsup:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

When next launched I had a similar issue. Freighter was offered to me and I thought I had accepted it, transferred items, and never saw it again. The next rescue was free and worked though. But I lost everything I had transferred.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At this point there must be so many alternate fallback paths for people with saves from various old versions of the game that regression testing must be absolute hell and I'm not surprised stuff like that falls through the cracks.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I just want to get one already so I can do some trade-ins with the crashed ships I own but left on planets. I've got the full 6 at this point and I can't claim any new ones I come across; it's kind of annoying.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think there's a certain distance/warps or story path you have to complete before you get the free freighter - I started a new game in NEXT since the last time I'd played was before Foundation but I didn't get the first freighter I came across, I think it was third or fourth. Six crashed ships does seem like too many for it not to be bugged though (poo poo, thinking about it I haven't seen a crashed ship in months)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
God I wish this game had a plot, some characters and factions that actually fight eachother. Just rewatched Firefly+Serenity and it's such a shame the great engine and framework of NMS isn't paired with real story-based worldbuilding.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

The Mash posted:

God I wish this game had a plot, some characters and factions that actually fight eachother. Just rewatched Firefly+Serenity and it's such a shame the great engine and framework of NMS isn't paired with real story-based worldbuilding.

Rebel Galaxy is the closest to Firefly as a video game.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Just did like my 10th 'defend freighter from pirates' battle only to have it end in the bugged 'have my free* freighter' (*totally not free). And it was a sweet S tier 34 slot korvax beauty. Finally decided I was sick of the game being a buggy mess and just cracked open cheat engine, searched for my total units, and added exactly enough to buy the damned thing. Normally I don't get much fun out of blatant cheating, but I don't think the game was ever going to give me the free freighter so eh, whatever.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I don't think subsequent "free" freighter missions are supposed to actually be free, are they? I was under the impression the first one was free, and subsequent freighter rescues just give you an opportunity to fight a bunch of dudes and then maybe buy a freighter. That's how it worked for me, anyway.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I don't think subsequent "free" freighter missions are supposed to actually be free, are they? I was under the impression the first one was free, and subsequent freighter rescues just give you an opportunity to fight a bunch of dudes and then maybe buy a freighter. That's how it worked for me, anyway.

That's how it is supposed to work, yeah. Though my first one was bugged and my second one was still free, but I dunno if when declined, that counts toward your freebie. Game is a mess when it comes to a lot of things.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My Explorers Guild quest is bugged that I've only got 1/2 completed no matter how many others I do.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

My Explorers Guild quest is bugged that I've only got 1/2 completed no matter how many others I do.

Fly to a different system and try resetting it?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think I have some kind of quest to discover 14 new species, but it seems to be resetting so I assume that they need to be all from the same system? I wouldn't know because the quest log doesn't actually contain quest info. And the HUD scanner tooltip only shows the count.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Right, but every "free" freighter I'd had back to the very first one gave me a price tag instead of an accept button. The game was acting like I already had a freighter from the start, except I didn't. Which is why I resorted to filthy cheating.

So my next quandary is, how do I get rid of crap ships? Since I'd already claimed the maximum number of broken ships long before finally cheating in the freighter that the game refused to give me, I now have 6 slots filled in the freighter and 3 blank landing pads that NPC ships apparently won't ever use for some reason. Which means I can never trade away my broken junk ships.

Do I need to fix one up and haul it to a station to trade it away? Except then I'd still be stuck with 6 ships total and be in the same predicament... is there just no way to sell or delete them? Going by everything I've learned about NMS so far, I'm going to guess the answer is 'hahaha no.'

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You cannot sell or delete ships. Just like you cannot fire freighters. Chances are, if there is a basic feature you expect the game to have because similar games have had it for years or in some cases, decades, this game doesn't have it. That's part of the indie charm you see.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You don't need to fix it up to haul it to the station. Just make it your current active ship and teleport to the station. In my experience, you find better ships out at the trade depots on planets, but that could be confirmation bias but also there are functionally infinite stations to hit up so you'll find someone eventually anyway.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think trade depots have much higher traffic than the space station, which is why you will likely find better ships there.

Pro tips: Ship quality is affected by the wealth of the system you are in. Wealthy systems will have more high tier ships. Also system race determines which type of ship will spawn most often. Vyk = Fighters, Gek = Haulers, Korvax = Explorers. Also, each system you visit has a set number of styles for each ship type that will spawn. In other words, it is not possible to find every possible ship design in any given system. If there is a specific type of design you want, and you haven't seen it after a good while in one system, it probably isn't on the spawn table. The good news is, once you see a ship style you do like, it means it will always be there in that system (barring a patch that alters the spawn tables.) So even if that ship was a C class, you will eventually see a better version of it in that system if you give it enough time. ALSO, in addition to ship classes and quality ranks, ships have "sizes" that effect how many slots they can possibly have at a given rank. This too is part of a system's spawn table, IIRC. Which I believe means that it is possible to end up somewhere that might never spawn a max slot ship.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm guessing the freighter has a teleporter I can build somewhere and I just haven't dug it out of the build menu yet. I'll try teleporting to stations with them and pawning them off in trade that way. Wish you could see race or economy or any information at all besides the useless system name from the teleporter menu, but I guess that comes back to that previously mentioned indie charm.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm guessing the freighter has a teleporter I can build somewhere and I just haven't dug it out of the build menu yet. I'll try teleporting to stations with them and pawning them off in trade that way. Wish you could see race or economy or any information at all besides the useless system name from the teleporter menu, but I guess that comes back to that previously mentioned indie charm.

You cannot build a teleporter on the freighter.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

You cannot build a teleporter on the freighter.

Huh. So is this not possible then?

Babe Magnet posted:

You don't need to fix it up to haul it to the station. Just make it your current active ship and teleport to the station.

Because I can't think of a way to make a busted ship my active ship and then get myself to a teleporter if the freighter doesn't have one.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

Huh. So is this not possible then?

Because I can't think of a way to make a busted ship my active ship and then get myself to a teleporter if the freighter doesn't have one.

If the busted ship is on your freighter, then you cannot teleport it to a station. That would only work if the busted ship was on the planet and you built a teleporter near it. Otherwise you have to fix up the flight capabilities to limp over to the station.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What you can do is: Shlep your one working ship (which you must have, since how'd you get to your freighter) to a nearby planet. Build a base, build a teleporter. Summon any of your crap ships through the X menu. Once it lands, get into it, get right back out of it. Teleport to a station. Trade it for anything you like.

Unless they've fixed it so busted-rear end ships can't be summoned, in which case, that's kind of a nightmare.

e: if you're lucky you can build a base near a trade depot with an attractive ship and then roll the dice on reloading it until it comes up as an S-class.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 12, 2018

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's what I was talking about, also you can summon your busted ships but not while it's already on the same planet you are, which is weird but whatever. That still requires launch fuel.

It might technically be cheaper to repair the shields and the launch thrusters to get the ship space-worthy but you can always dismantle your temporary base to get your supplies back.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I was thinking about picking this game back up. I have a game save from a year and a half ago. Would it be better to just start with from scratch with a new save? I think the last time I touched it was when bases first dropped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rad-daddio posted:

I was thinking about picking this game back up. I have a game save from a year and a half ago. Would it be better to just start with from scratch with a new save? I think the last time I touched it was when bases first dropped.

Very much so, yes. All your old stuff will basically be listed as [obsolete tech], so yeah. Clean slate.