Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

That's fine, I like the faction classes as they are (except for when they don't roll the bonus abilities that I want)

As usual, there's a mod for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Xarbala posted:

As usual, there's a mod for that.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1129770962

I love this mod so much.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah I'll probably have to use that for my next campaign. I think it's time for me to do a legendary run since I had fun with marathon in EW and I am extremely steamrolling this commander run I'm on right now.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Any one try out the mod that add "flavors" to the faction classes?

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1373823499

Seems kind of a fun way to switch up the faction classes, never knowing which one you might get.

Also for Rogue Ops classes: I THINK it was that pack but I downloaded a class that combined sniper/gremlin that just worked so well and was amazing fun to use. I can re-create it with the RGPO but after using the RGPO for a bit you end up making classes that just break the gently caress out of the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

One of my Juggernauts got Death from Above, Squadsight, and Run and Gun with a superior magazine. :hellyeah:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Backhand posted:

Man, for as much as I usually complained about templars, :words:

I've said it before, and will say it again: Templars might not be king-poo poo all-purpose super warriors, but they fill a unique niche and can be extremely potent support units if properly applied. Just as a good Reaper is absolutely loving insane at breaking the scouting and pod-activation part of the game over their knee, a good Templar is a rock-solid, reliable frontliner with a big toolbox of situationally very powerful abilities. Being able to make high cover at range, teleport enemies around, apply aim and damage bonuses, and deliver infinite-accuracy melee attacks, and completely negate the first incoming hit that follows them makes for an incredibly useful specialty unit.

Templars are obviously going to seem lacklustre if you judge them by their ability (or inability) to output a poo poo-ton of damage under all circumstances, but they're unbelievably good if you use them primarily as resilient, adaptable force multipliers. Bring a core squad that can do the mission, and then add in a Templar to minimize their risk and maximize their lethality.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Templars with bad AWC/XCOM (whatever they're called) perks are pretty lackluster. Templars with good AWC/XCOM perks are basically unstoppable.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
God I'm addicted to the first half of this game and trying out new classes/overhauls/etc that I don't even want to finish a game. I've just beaten my first chosen and have a wrecking ball of a crew and now I want to restart all over again. Through I think a part of that is because I'm using RGPO and and got a bunch of Krogan for free at the start of this playthrough.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I just took a look at that Shadow Ops Perk Pack and now I feel antsy to restart again, and I'm not even that close to the end in my current run with ABB.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Finally gotten round to playing with WotC and a bunch of mods. The remastered classic X-COM music is so freaking good and seems to be stuck in my head even when I finish playing.

Just realized from looking back at the OP how the DLC integration checklist works. Why in the heck would they make the default setting NOT include the story missions? What is the explanation on this one? If it was a balance issue, why would they not include a balance update for those story missions?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Would you rather retread the same content you’ve already seen before getting into the new stuff?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Finally gotten round to playing with WotC and a bunch of mods. The remastered classic X-COM music is so freaking good and seems to be stuck in my head even when I finish playing.

Just realized from looking back at the OP how the DLC integration checklist works. Why in the heck would they make the default setting NOT include the story missions? What is the explanation on this one? If it was a balance issue, why would they not include a balance update for those story missions?

The simple fact is, at least for the Shen's Last Gift Mission, it's simply too long. It plays absolute hell with your characters' Will, guaranteeing that the entire squad that goes out on that mission will be out of action for weeks.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Bogart posted:

Would you rather retread the same content you’ve already seen before getting into the new stuff?

Considering I only played those missions once during my first playthrough when the game was newer...I wouldn't mind seeing them for only the 2nd time.

BlazetheInferno posted:

The simple fact is, at least for the Shen's Last Gift Mission, it's simply too long. It plays absolute hell with your characters' Will, guaranteeing that the entire squad that goes out on that mission will be out of action for weeks.

Ah now that makes sense from a gameplay perspective. Maybe they could have just disabled or given Will a bonus for that mission?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

lily's mission is rad though. it's fairly challenging at some levels and the story arc is just wicked fun/funny.

the hunter missions can go die on a tire-fire, but throwing out the good with the bad is just silly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I feel like explosive immunity shouldn't be able to appear on the first chosen you get since that's basically your only source of guaranteed damage with squaddies sans a templar HQ start, so you have to predominantly use RNG attacks to kill them at the first civilian mission. Which isn't strictly different from normal enemies since you don't have enough grenades to kill everything in a mission anyway, it's just that the consequence for a normal monster getting a turn isn't a guaranteed way to instakill anyone in the group if the AI feels like it, because they gave the hunter's grapple 0 cooldown so there's no way to make everyone immune to flanks.

Had a commander campaign get straight dumpstered on the first civilian mission last night because of that, since with no grenades the squaddies and cpls were left with no way to do damage that didn't depend on RNG, and I hit about two fifths of the shots that would have landed on average. And since there's zero way to cover every potential flank to an enemy who can grapple 12 tiles and move another 8 before shooting every turn, he just critically downed a person a turn with roughly dickall I could do about it. With one escapee and an early mission lost there wasn't much point in continuing, so it felt like that campaign just got lost by RNG and I learned roughly nothing from it except "hope that doesn't happen again" or always start templar HQ.

This became pretty clear when Commander WOTC Take 2 gave me the exact same guy on that mission but with auto overwatch instead of explosion immunity, and having that guaranteed damage was night and day.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's okay to let an early Chosen kidnap a soldier and skedaddle.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Bogart posted:

It's okay to let an early Chosen kidnap a soldier and skedaddle.

Do they even kidnap that early or do they just do the knowledge extract? I've only actually had a chosen get to a dazed dude once and he just extracted and scooted

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Bakalakadaka posted:

Do they even kidnap that early or do they just do the knowledge extract? I've only actually had a chosen get to a dazed dude once and he just extracted and scooted
I have never seen them kidnap early. Letting them extract knowledge is sometimes something I have deliberately done so I don't lose someone.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Death before dishonor tbqh. Take secrets to the grave

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
if you don't integrate content I think you have a guaranteed chosen capture because Mox got cutscened on me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Psion posted:

if you don't integrate content I think you have a guaranteed chosen capture because Mox got cutscened on me

that's a Lost and Forsaken thing, not an integrated DLC thing, but yeah

the downside is that if you don't do Lost and Forsaken you don't get Mox at all, and not having michael dorn on your team is a very dear price to pay

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

that's a Lost and Forsaken thing, not an integrated DLC thing, but yeah

the downside is that if you don't do Lost and Forsaken you don't get Mox at all, and not having michael dorn on your team is a very dear price to pay

Oh my god I never realized it was Dorn, or that Frakes was Volk, or that Crosby was Betos, or holy poo poo it's the entire TNG cast :stwoon: I can't believe I never realized Elena was Sirtis, i use her like all the time

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Danaru posted:

Oh my god I never realized it was Dorn, or that Frakes was Volk, or that Crosby was Betos, or holy poo poo it's the entire TNG cast :stwoon: I can't believe I never realized Elena was Sirtis, i use her like all the time

...how?

also, you're gonna be mindblown again when you see who Geist is

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I legit dont know, it's super loving obvious now. It's like trying to remember how you didnt see a really clear optical illusion

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the dude with scary brain powers being voiced by Q is my favourite part of the expansion. don't even care that some of them come off a bit stilted, those voices are just such a big part of my sci-fi loving childhood.

still, they all pale in comparison to german male #2

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Danaru posted:

A lot of the classic star trek folks went into voice acting (I wonder if being so recognizable was a detriment to getting other TV roles) and I don't know if they all have the same agent or if they're just quick on the "you need someone for that role? I know a guy" but when one shows up there's usually more than one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There’s a couple of TNG reunion games to the point where I’m a little curious as to why they haven’t made their own voice acting studio with package rates yet

(The Master of Orion remake also has pretty much the whole cast)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

jfood posted:

the dude with scary brain powers being voiced by Q is my favourite part of the expansion. don't even care that some of them come off a bit stilted, those voices are just such a big part of my sci-fi loving childhood.

still, they all pale in comparison to german male #2

Male Australian English 2 with laid-back attitude is a 10/10 set

Just change someone’s flag to australia if you need to

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Mox's isn't a restricted voice, you can set it to any Skirmisher / Freed Advent male soldier you've got.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Digirat posted:

Male Australian English 2 with laid-back attitude is a 10/10 set

he's actually a south african named 'johannes krueger' in my games. I can't keep classes and builds straight in my head, but names I can.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Danaru posted:

Wait what

my jaw

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Coolguye posted:

There’s a couple of TNG reunion games to the point where I’m a little curious as to why they haven’t made their own voice acting studio with package rates yet

This is about how I felt whenever I realized that the former Ace Combat 5 cast does so much anime dub work, often together.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did anyone else notice that on the last mission of Lily's campaign, the loading screen showed the crashed alien fighter with the XCOM logo? It's a Firestorm!

e: It has it in the mission too!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 7, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Been having some fun these last couple of days playing War of the Chosen with the RPG overhaul mod, lots of voicepacks and soldier customization stuff. Playing on Commander and with my main squad of soldiers, affectionately "Red Squad" because I started giving them all a bit of red to give them some uniformity, I've just been blasting the aliens away. Might possibly be because the RPG overhaul allows you to make some rather overpowered soldiers. Anyway I spent some time making some posters of them.

Left to right: Swedish sniper/hacker/medic "Tech Viking", Australian assault/grenadier "Down Under", American sentinel/scout (lots of overwatch stuff, and free scanner from random squaddie skill) "Old Man", American blademaster "Donatello", Korean hacker "Acid Burn" (yes I've seen Hackers and I couldn't think of another stupid hacker name off the top of my head), American gunner/grenadier "Deep Fried".

Favorite one is probably the blademaster guy, just completely ridiculous in action, and not just because he looks like a Ninja Turtle or Humpty Dumpty. Dude goes loving crazy with that sword of his.

I'm also working on levelling up a second squad of dudes, but ran into a bit of trouble with them with a mission that went sour and lost a guy with the rest being severely mangled. Faction heroes, psi operative and SPARK I basically sub into my squads from time to time when I feel like doing it or it's beneficial (Chosen with weakness for instance).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 7, 2018

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
For my own part, I fired up a new campaign out of curiosity to see how the legacy weapons were integrated.Starting the game with a couple of free tier one scopes, a tier one stock, and a tier one laser sight is convenient and rewarding without feeling the least bit overpowered, so I'm quite liking them. Though honestly, I am tempted to just download a mod to let me reskin the basic weapons with the legacy models entirely - I really do prefer the way the new weapons look and feel. The attitudes are pretty great too - my Sharpshooter rolled angry and my God is that woman perpetually pissed off about aliens. My most recent Ranger got "Let's Go!" and MAN, is he loving hyped to be a part of this war. Really loving all of the new aesthetic stuff, and usually I'm the kind of guy who doesn't give a poo poo about anything cosmetic.

I have also discovered that playing XCOM while drunk is an interesting experience in that I'm far more likely to make careless moves and lose the odd soldier here or there.... but, I'm also much less likely to be bothered by that fact. I made a stupid double move with a concealed ranger last night that got him spotted and promptly ventilated by a MEC fairly early on in the mission.... but I just kinda shrugged and continued along with it anyway. Getting the VIP out of an Ambush with the Warlock screwing around on the periphery - all with only four guys - made for a pretty fun challenge.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

man i need to roll my personal character as angry because ever since the game loving released i've had that written into my bio

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

drat, I never really looked into what that Legacy stuff was. Seems you unlock stuff like the weapons and attitudes by completing the Legacy missions? I take it those don't apply for an existing campaign and I'd have to restart. That's kind of a bummer.

What is there to unlock, what do the attitudes do?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the attitudes are voice packs mostly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Randarkman posted:

drat, I never really looked into what that Legacy stuff was. Seems you unlock stuff like the weapons and attitudes by completing the Legacy missions? I take it those don't apply for an existing campaign and I'd have to restart. That's kind of a bummer.

Attitudes are just different idle poses, they don't even get the different lines the base games attitudes have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Randarkman posted:

Sprite. You don't they just merge in