Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, I am especially concerned with #1. The secret ballot is really important and there are absolutely people in unsafe situations at home who would have parents or a spouse being in the room either influence or outright change their vote. I'm in full support of voting taking place over an extended period of time and it being insanely easy to vote in lots of convenient places at whatever hours work for you. And I think if you have a legitimate reason none of that would work for you then a mail in ballot should be an option. But I don't like universal mail in ballots.

That bypasses the second issue but does nothing to address the first one.
the first issue is bypassed by just voting in person

if you give everyone the option of voting by mail or in person, people can chose what's best for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

mail in voting is amazing, i personally intercepted over 500k ballots and destroyed them

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Powershift posted:

So serious question here

If the Dems take the house, and the Reps keep the senate, what's to stop Trump from just doing everything by executive order with no consequences whatsoever while absolutely nothing passes both houses of congress.

the judiciary lmao

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

I'm doing three things tonight:

1) Setting up a results ticker on one screen

2) Watching Lawrence of Arabia on another screen

3) Drinking.

This is the way to go.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

reminder that EARLY EXIT POLLS ARE LITERALLY WORSE THEN GARBAGE

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Powershift posted:

So serious question here

If the Dems take the house, and the Reps keep the senate, what's to stop Trump from just doing everything by executive order with no consequences whatsoever while absolutely nothing passes both houses of congress.

based on how this is exactly what he has been doing for the past two years, basically the only thing stopping it would be the dems actually playing hardball and shutting down the government (ie refusing to pass necessary budgeting bills) over it

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bawfuls posted:

the first issue is bypassed by just voting in person

if you give everyone the option of voting by mail or in person, people can chose what's best for them

That only puts a bandaid over it though - then somebody in an unsafe situation has to explain to their spouse, boss, parent, whoever why they felt they had to do in person. You still are putting a huge dent in the secret ballot and personally I think the secret ballot is really, really, really important. You should be able to vote and have no one have any possible way of knowing anything other than the fact that you voted. And you shouldn't have any reason at all why you'd have to justify that vs. voting on your spouse approved candidates.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

dems make guam a state bitch

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shear Modulus posted:

based on how this is exactly what he has been doing for the past two years, basically the only thing stopping it would be the dems actually playing hardball and shutting down the government (ie refusing to pass necessary budgeting bills) over it

hahhahahahahha

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thoguh posted:

That only puts a bandaid over it though - then somebody in an unsafe situation has to explain to their spouse, boss, parent, whoever why they felt they had to do in person. You still are putting a huge dent in the secret ballot and personally I think the secret ballot is really, really, really important. You should be able to vote and have no one have any possible way of knowing anything other than the fact that you voted.

theres nothing stopping someone in a situation where their boss or husband threatens them to vote a certain way or they get fired/beaten from that same abuser requiring them to take a picture of their in-person ballot to prove how they voted

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Lawman 0 posted:

dems make guam a state bitch

steal the senaaaaate. dooooo it.

E: also Deeee ceeee. And also puerrrrrrrrto Rrrrrrrrico

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Dog Pipes posted:

Sweden is amazing - for Swedes/Scandos.

When I lived in Sweden as an EU citizen, I had to pay the equivalent of $22 to see a doctor. Cheap, I know, but coming from the UK a bit of a shock paying about £20 to see a doctor for 10 mins. Mind you, if I didn't have my EHIC card, could have been more.

every time I see a doctor it costs between 70-500$

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Is there any IRC action going on? I need snappy real-time feedback and interaction to match CNN's hysterical reporting and numbers-shouting.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

theres nothing stopping someone in a situation where their boss or husband threatens them to vote a certain way or they get fired/beaten from that same abuser requiring them to take a picture of their in-person ballot to prove how they voted

Sure but that's an order of magnitude more abuse than just sitting next to your spouse at the kitchen table and filling out the candidates that they like to avoid having to have an argument or uncomfortable discussion. Which would absolutely be widespread enough to impact election outcomes.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Thoguh posted:

The reason the SD supreme court gave for disenfranchising entire reservations was literally that it wouldn't effect many people so it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter if there's only a handful of people that it would seriously impact. It still seriously impacts those people and those people's votes matter.

what about the vastly larger number of people in-person voting already disenfranchises through the simple logistical hurdle of requiring time off during a work-day or cramming the entire working population of a state into voting centers during a period of a few hours?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thoguh posted:

That's not a unique thing for mail in voting though - I voted a month ago at an early voting location.

But I was able to do it in my home, with my state provided voting pamphlet on the table. Convenient and comfortable, and I was better informed since I had plenty of time to read up on each candidate and proposition.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I just want to point out that I was talking about the guamanian gubernatorial election pages ago, and y'all thought it was a JOKE

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LGD posted:

what about the vastly larger number of people in-person voting already disenfranchises through the simple logistical hurdle of requiring time off during a work-day or cramming the entire working population of a state into voting centers during a period of a few hours?

Like I said in my first post about it, I absolutely support elections taking place over the course of weeks with lots of convenient places to vote and them being open lots of convenient hours. The choices aren't just "Vote on one day in one place at a warehouse outside of town that closes at five" or "universal mail in ballots".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Peachfart posted:

But I was able to do it in my home, with my state provided voting pamphlet on the table. Convenient and comfortable, and I was better informed since I had plenty of time to read up on each candidate and proposition.

Congrats on having all those privileges. Condolences on assuming they are universal.

Also you can do the exact same thing with a sample ballot.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

I’m pretty sure a poll worker would assist an abuse victim in “faking” this. At least I hope so. They definitely do for blood donations, at least here in Canada.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Sure but that's an order of magnitude more abuse than just sitting next to your spouse at the kitchen table and filling out the candidates that they like to avoid having to have an argument or uncomfortable discussion. Which would absolutely be widespread enough to impact election outcomes.

You seem hyper focused on such a small corner case, where someone is abused enough that they must vote how their partner wants, but not abused enough where the partner is just gonna steal their ballot and fill it out for them.

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Mordor She Wrote posted:

every time I see a doctor it costs between 70-500$

Including meds? Like, no other treatment?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the kiddie koncentration kamps? not approved by congress, entirely done via the executive
the tariffs? not approved by congress, entirely done by the executive
the muslim ban, tearing up the iran deal, tearing up the paris agreement, rescinding daca, and pretty much every other reprehensible thing the government has done since he became president except the tax cuts (which also repealed the individual mandate which will mean the inevitable death of obamacare) and the wall street deregulations were done with zero input from the legislature

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thoguh posted:

Congrats on having all those privileges. Condolences on assuming they are universal.

It probably took less time out of my day to do that then to go to a polling place. I feel sorry for poor people who can't drive to an early voting location.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

the kiddie koncentration kamps? not approved by congress, entirely done via the executive
the tariffs? not approved by congress, entirely done by the executive
the muslim ban, tearing up the iran deal, tearing up the paris agreement, rescinding daca, and pretty much every other reprehensible thing the government has done since he became president except the tax cuts (which also repealed the individual mandate which will mean the inevitable death of obamacare) and the wall street deregulations were done with zero input from the legislature

Kinda sounds like a terrible way to do things.

maybe fix you're government

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

WampaLord posted:

You seem hyper focused on such a small corner case
hrmmmm where have i seen this used as an excuse to stop progress on voting access before :thunk:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

You seem hyper focused on such a small corner case, where someone is abused enough that they must vote how their partner wants, but not abused enough where the partner is just gonna steal their ballot and fill it out for them.

That's the extreme corner case but like I posted the much more common situation is just that when you don't get to vote in secret you're much more likely to be influenced - such as a wife or husband voting exactly the same as their spouse because they both filled out their ballots together and didn't want to get in an argument. Which is a super common thing couples do about lots of things even if there isn't abuse in the relationship.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

univbee posted:

I’m pretty sure a poll worker would assist an abuse victim in “faking” this. At least I hope so. They definitely do for blood donations, at least here in Canada.

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/1059918445930778624

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Calibanibal posted:

mail in voting is amazing, i personally intercepted over 500k ballots and destroyed them

:patriot:

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Thoguh posted:

lmao - you're aware there are multiple states with universal mail voting now right? can you show any evidence that this is the case?

you're really focused on a narrative of abuse you've imagined (without actually thinking through how such scenarios really play out) to defend an idealized version of in-person voting that doesn't actually exist anywhere in the country

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

So GOP p much retaining control of the Senate so far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Florida has mail in ballots and early voting. Mine got in on the 29th.

No sticker though :(

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure it was an issue in the documentary 'Black Sheep'

it's a pretty good watch for anyone interested in that type of stuff

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bawfuls posted:

hrmmmm where have i seen this used as an excuse to stop progress on voting access before :thunk:

Okay but it actually is a really small corner case and insinuating that I'm in favor of vote suppression is kinda lovely, so...?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Is some dipshit really concern trolling about vote-by-mail ITT on election night??? Mods??? mODS?

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dog Pipes posted:

to absolutely no ones surprise.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LGD posted:

lmao - you're aware there are multiple states with universal mail voting now right? can you show any evidence that this is the case?

you're really focused on a narrative of abuse you've imagined (without actually thinking through how such scenarios really play out) to defend an idealized version of in-person voting that doesn't actually exist anywhere in the country

Mail in ballots aren't secret ballots. It is important for elections to be done by secret ballot. That's the entire basis of my thoughts on the matter.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

YOU A loving HAT posted:

I'm doing three things tonight:

1) Setting up a results ticker on one screen

2) Watching Lawrence of Arabia on another screen

3) Drinking.

This is the way to go.

im eating stromboli and drinking einstok beer while having 2 threads up and putting music on

lets do this :c00l:

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

Dog Pipes posted:

yeah i really didn't see it going any other way. Did you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

Lastgirl posted:

im eating stromboli and drinking einstok beer while having 2 threads up and putting music on

lets do this :c00l:

you're a beautiful person, LG