Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What's the distinction between being clawed to death vs being spiked to death? I'm not sure how to describe some of the stuff I'm seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's the distinction between being clawed to death vs being spiked to death? I'm not sure how to describe some of the stuff I'm seeing.

Being spiked to death is being impaled by a usually-detatchable portion of a monster, and it's different from being speared insofar as spikes tend to be part of the monster and don't look crafted.

Clawed to death is a strictly hand to hand kill and happens with, surprise surprise, a claw or pincer.

in more concrete terms, the guy who yells 'Let's go, boss!' is spiked, whereas the two dudes who are pinned earlier in that chapter are clawed.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Coolguye posted:

Being spiked to death is being impaled by a usually-detatchable portion of a monster, and it's different from being speared insofar as spikes tend to be part of the monster and don't look crafted.

Clawed to death is a strictly hand to hand kill and happens with, surprise surprise, a claw or pincer.

in more concrete terms, the guy who yells 'Let's go, boss!' is spiked, whereas the two dudes who are pinned earlier in that chapter are clawed.

I put those guys as decapitated and it worked, and used speared, not spiked for the others. The causes of death around Terrible Beasts seem to be pretty flexible.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Spiked" is a specific item that refers to someone being shot by spikes. Clawed ought to be self-explanatory as some stuff has claws and will visibly use them in those death memories where relevant.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Claws are on paws or other limbs, spears are tools, spikes are from spiky things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

stalagspikes hang spikely

stalagspears might spear the roof

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I completed all fates and the only clawed I put was the one for Chapter 4. A rule of thumb that works for me is that (spoilers for events but not deduction here) spiked is only if somebody died because of a monster's body part, so only the spiders cause it. I put the projectile-based deaths as speared.

Speaking about ambiguous causes of death, I put the bosun's mate's as fell overboard and the game still accepts it.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 6, 2018

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

1234567890num posted:

I completed all fates and the only clawed I put was the one for Chapter 4. A rule of thumb that works for me is that (spoilers for events but not deduction here) spiked is only if somebody died because of a monster's body part, so only the spiders cause it. I put the projectile-based deaths as speared.

That’s funny, I used the exact opposite and it worked for me in terms of spiked vs. speared. I used spiked when someone was shot by a projectile from a beast, and speared when it was part of their body. The latter is much rarer from what I remember. I used decapitated for the two dudes who die in the same scene to one of the soldiers of the sea that is shown pinning them by their necks.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Yeah, I also used the same thing for the last case you mentioned. This game is very generous with the cause of death.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Yeah, I also used the same thing for the last case you mentioned. This game is very generous with the cause of death.

only in certain situations. that one formosan who is burned to death taking out the mermaids tackles a dude and shoves him overboard to get to the chest - i struggled with that dude's COD for over an hour before i realized apparently there was a small knife involved and none of the other ways of talking about the circumstances of his death actually mattered at all. the aforementioned death with Lim is also really frustrating, because she legit does have a big chunk taken out of her by the mermaid who's necking her, but only the claw wound apparently matters.

it's flexible enough that there's a few ways you can catalog things such that in the epilogue certain sailors will have their estates penalized or rewarded based upon the specifics of how you talk about things, but good lord is it irritating the few times it's not flexible.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Lim's is more flexible than you think. It's just not flexible in the direction you explored.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I beat the game this weekend and it's quite the experience, I'm not quite as observant though and more than once I had to brute force the names of certain clusters of people.

Is there a reason to why one of the hammocks is labeled with an X?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Just popping in to say I loving love this game, it's possibly my favourite game since The Witcher 3, and might even surpass it. It is everything I've been calling for every time I rage quit the hand holding sims that pass for murder mystery games.

I assume I'm not the only one who uses the third in a set to confirm some uncertain guesses? Like, when I have someone down to three people or less I'll spam through them until the cutscene triggers. I kinda feel guilty about it, but it's not like I'm cheating. Not sure if that counts as a spoiler BTW

Joda fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 6, 2018

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, I used the same method, although it was often accidental.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

jjac posted:

I beat the game this weekend and it's quite the experience, I'm not quite as observant though and more than once I had to brute force the names of certain clusters of people.

Is there a reason to why one of the hammocks is labeled with an X?

Re spoiler: to limit the information you get I assume.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Kinda stuck now. I feel like I've ran out of new bodies to find and I've combed the whole ship. Are there any really tricky locations I can get a hint towards

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Joda posted:

Just popping in to say I loving love this game, it's possibly my favourite game since The Witcher 3, and might even surpass it. It is everything I've been calling for every time I rage quit the hand holding sims that pass for murder mystery games.

I assume I'm not the only one who uses the third in a set to confirm some uncertain guesses? Like, when I have someone down to three people or less I'll spam through them until the cutscene triggers. I kinda feel guilty about it, but it's not like I'm cheating. Not sure if that counts as a spoiler BTW

I dunno about spamming or brute forcing it, but yeah I think almost everyone must rely on at least a little bit of trial and error. I’m sure it’s possible to beat the game without trial and error but there are a few clusters of dudes where it would be very difficult: most notably the Chinese topmen, but also the Russians, some of the more obscure seamen, and maybe the Indian guys if you never pick up on the hammock thing.

Kinda stuck now. I feel like I've ran out of new bodies to find and I've combed the whole ship. Are there any really tricky locations I can get a hint towards

More info would be helpful here - how many fates do you have solved? Is there anyone in particular you are struggling with (could just give a vague description even)? Have you filled out every chapter?

Note that (barely a spoiler) at a certain point you will have seen every death you can and it becomes more about rewatching to pick up details you missed and making deductions.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 7, 2018

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

try the cargo bay. there's a 'body' there that isn't really a body insofar as it's not human. also check the deck under the gunnery deck (whose name i forget) very thoroughly. there's a blood trail leading to a body of someone who died after hauling his wounded form around the inner hull of the ship.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I think each chapter lists a body to start with?

Which chapters are you missing?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Looking closer it seems I've found all the bodies, I just need to put the clues together. Thanks anyway!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If it's started raining, then you've seen everything.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

The orlop deck walls have several features you might want to look into.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Looking closer it seems I've found all the bodies, I just need to put the clues together. Thanks anyway!

yeah good luck the real dark souls begins there

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

A few hints that I have tried to keep vague and as light as possible on spoilers:

The front parts of the book, especially the pictures, give you a lot of useful information. Notice what people are wearing and who is standing where.

Before poo poo really hits the fan, there are a couple scenes where people are mostly hanging out in their bunks, playing cards, etc. These scenes are more useful than they appear at first glance, both because you can see who is interacting with who, and because of an important visual clue.

During the Doom, make sure to pay attention to what is happening both on and off the boat.

Don’t forget the little difficulty indicators that the game gives you for how hard someone is to figure out. They’re not thaaat useful, but can be a decent guide to who is the low-hanging fruit.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think I just had a minor revelation that various aspects of the game appear to be randomized, and not just the protagonist's gender. Spoilers for mid-game scenes and plot-important items:

In the scene where a character is murdered in the dead of night in the cargo hold, you can see into the passenger cargo. In my first playthrough, I noticed that inside was a large, ominous chest standing open with a gleaming conch shell in its drawer. But when I played through again in a different slot, the shell was not there, and the drawers were all shut.

Similarly, a scene later on, on the open water, depicts some rowboats being attacked. One of the attackers had a similar shell in their hair (or maybe strapped to them?), but on my second playthrough, they wore no such shell.

For some reason it's really sent me reeling, and I'm wondering what else might be changed. It's not a completely insignificant detail, either. I haven't seen anyone mention anything about this.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I checked both of my save games, and two random youtubers. And in all cases there was only the first variant.
Could someone else check?
And can you post a screenshot?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

tonberrytoby posted:

I checked both of my save games, and two random youtubers. And in all cases there was only the first variant.
Could someone else check?
And can you post a screenshot?
Behind links for the sake of spoilers:

From the chapter "Murder"
From the chapter "The Calling"

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

For what it's worth, I have no memory of seeing the shells before the endgame content. I played through the whole game on release day. I just went back and looked at my backup save file before I solved the final couple of people, and they are there now. I am 95% sure I would have noticed them, especially the one in Murder.

Similar pictures to above from my double check just now.

From the chapter "Murder" with object
From the chapter "The Calling" with object

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Daedalus1134 posted:

For what it's worth, I have no memory of seeing the shells before the endgame content. I played through the whole game on release day. I just went back and looked at my backup save file before I solved the final couple of people, and they are there now. I am 95% sure I would have noticed them, especially the one in Murder.

From the chapter "Murder" with object
From the chapter "The Calling" with object
The screenshots I just took were from my completed save game (had to rewind to take them). So it's not completing the game that changes it, anyway.

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST
Apr 2, 2008

Daedalus1134 posted:

IIRC, the shells were added in an update in order to clarify some story elements

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
My friend and I (whom I used to do a bunch of LPs with like three/four years ago before I had a kid) got back together to do this game. If you're interested, check it out -- my goal is to help guide him through his playthrough in a way that both shows off the game to him/other newcomers while being vicariously enjoyable for me/other veterans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNj1sLc0uOs

(that said, we're doing this mostly because it's fun for us rather than from a drive to create #content, so we're keeping it pretty casual/unpolished on the tech side. I will super not be offended if this isn't your cup of tea.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just as long as you don't look at a dude covered in flames and go "I think he was shot or maybe it's illness????" poo poo's bad for my blood pressure.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Really Pants posted:

Just as long as you don't look at a dude covered in flames and go "I think he was shot or maybe it's illness????" poo poo's bad for my blood pressure.
As long as we're airing gripes about how other people choose to play a singleplayer game: Out of curiosity I skimmed some LPs and I'm like five for five on people apparently not registering that the loud, obvious, scene-headlining shout of "Martin" is in fact a person's name.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Vib Rib posted:

As long as we're airing gripes about how other people choose to play a singleplayer game: Out of curiosity I skimmed some LPs and I'm like five for five on people apparently not registering that the loud, obvious, scene-headlining shout of "Martin" is in fact a person's name.

Good news: my job is specifically to point the other guy's attention towards important details (or at least in the general direction thereof), because we've learned from hard experience that that sort of bumbling makes for really boring video.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Vib Rib posted:

It certainly looks like almost everybody I watch is overlooking at least one of the obvious names. For me personally it was Brennan, whom I didn't identify until I was at the process of elimination stage. Very embarrassing.

I get more annoyed at the people who see that the tatooed guy was torn apart, hear that the bosun's mate was torn apart and decide that they must be the same person. Especially when they start loudly arguing with them self about if french people wear "celtic" tribal tattoos. Once they figure out they are wrong, they decide he clearly was Scottish.

I do watch a lot of those. Because I really want to play the game again, but it isn't really repayable more then twice. So I search youtube/twitch for Obra Dinn players. I didn't even find anybody worth watching otherwise.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

I get more annoyed at the people who see that the tatooed guy was torn apart, hear that the bosun's mate was torn apart and decide that they must be the same person. Especially when they start loudly arguing with them self about if french people wear "celtic" tribal tattoos. Once they figure out they are wrong, they decide he clearly was Scottish.

krakens are incredibly precise and selective with their kills, it's why they're called "the ninjas of the sea"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I ran two streams with a Scooby Doo gang on my channel and the tattoos gave a lot of people problems there too. Well, not my usual partner, but he is Australian and has a lot of cultural exposure to Pacific Islanders. The rest of the crew didn’t get what I was trying to imply by telling them to think like racists and only got that guy after about 5 tries.

In other news, Obra Dinn won best art direction at the video game awards. Two colors beat a AAA studio’s million dollar effort, lol.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The opening tutorial does tell you to make assumptions so I did guess a few people based on appearance.

And I'm glad it won that award, there are some really incredible scenes in that game.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

tonberrytoby posted:

It certainly looks like almost everybody I watch is overlooking at least one of the obvious names. For me personally it was Brennan, whom I didn't identify until I was at the process of elimination stage. Very embarrassing.

I, too, cup my hand to my ear when someone in the next room calls my name.

tonberrytoby posted:

That guy seems to be the one that requires the greatest level of knowedge/assumption of information that is not given to you by the game directly. I kept looking for another in-game clue to back up my assumption. That guy and, I guess, knowing what a German accent is supposed to sound like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I believe you can also identify him by his weapon, which is hanging up by his hammock.