Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if you have a 3ds/ds, there's also superstar ultra which is amazing. redid all the spritework to be smoother and added a lot of additional content (thats all really good). idk why no one ever talks about this, the only complaint i've ever heard is "the sound is different!!" which, sure, it's coming out of little ds speakers lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

As a kid I remember loving Superstar Ultra but the True Arena kicked my rear end

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Did Nintendo even do a single wave of snes releases after the one when the n3ds first came out? Why didn't they keep putting out snes releases? Wtf

It's kind of a moot point when you can just install snes9x for 3ds but it's still mind boggling

Is snes9x better than just injecting them directly. That's what I do

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Robobot is getting me looking at my massive dusty 3ds backlog so I might stick with it a while. I have SMT:A, Fantasy Life, and DQVIII bought, installed, and never launched lol. I've already played DQ so that's not a priority but hell, who knows what I'm gonna do.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

:That post just reminded me i started strange journey seven months ago

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I have like a decade’s worth of games on my 3DS, it is getting put away never.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

I have like a decade’s worth of games on my 3DS, it is getting put away never.

Same, 3ds owns

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

the strange journey remake is nice, not worth it if you have the original but they did some qol stuff... i think a lot of people hate it though

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 7, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Is snes9x better than just injecting them directly. That's what I do

It is, yes. I played an injected tmnt turtles in time and the sound was crackly as hell. It sounded perfect on snes 9x for n3ds.

Keep in mind there's a few versions of snes9x for n3ds. Plus retroarch and those libretro ones. They're not good. Make sure this is the one you use. It runs super mario RPG at 60fps! https://github.com/bubble2k16/snes9x_3ds/releases

I.N.R.I posted:

it does look nice

I have to admit I was blown away when super mario RPG came out but it looks so terrible on anything but a crt. And I hate scanlines and filters. Finally on the n3ds xl it looks like how I remembered it and blows me away again

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Zas posted:

the strange journey remake is nice, not worth it if you have the original but they did some qol stuff... i think a lot of people hate it though

That's just the persona noob filter

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The 3DS probably has the best good game:shovelware ratio of any console in recent memory. There's a crazy amount of great games for it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Robobot is getting me looking at my massive dusty 3ds backlog so I might stick with it a while. I have SMT:A, Fantasy Life, and DQVIII bought, installed, and never launched lol. I've already played DQ so that's not a priority but hell, who knows what I'm gonna do.

SMTA is amaze balls.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Off topic, but DK Island is definitely where Journey to the West started, thousands of years ago.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

SMTA is amaze balls.

I started ng+ in SMT4 for the neutral ending but never finished, probably shoulda just started 4A

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I started ng+ in SMT4 for the neutral ending but never finished, probably shoulda just started 4A

The story isn't as cool as IV by necessity, since there's no cool structural twist like before. But it's probably start to finish the most fun I've had with mainline SMT battles and bosses. It's so sick

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The 3DS probably has the best good game:shovelware ratio of any console in recent memory. There's a crazy amount of great games for it

Yeah I think the fact that it was not as popular as the DS which everyone from age 4-40 owned, kinda like the Wii. Same reason the WiiU has very little shovelware.

Like the 3ds is really popular but I found a random DS Lite literally laying in the street on two separate occasions lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I checked and you’re right, that’s bullshit.

At least you can play Pilotwings

wow what the gently caress you're right, i couldve sworn they put it on there. huh

then yeah the answer is robobot

e: super star ultra is cool and the added stuff is neat but they did a bad job with the sound, i prefer the way the original looks, i dont like some of the balance changes, and by its nature co-op is more of a pain to do so id never recommend it over the original. one of my gaming dreams is for someone smarter and more obsessive than me to backport the super star ultra content into the snes game somehow

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 7, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

absolutely anything posted:

one of my gaming dreams is for someone smarter and more obsessive than me to backport the super star ultra content into the snes game somehow

This is my gaming dream with the gba ports of link to the past and ff6

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

e: super star ultra is cool and the added stuff is neat but they did a bad job with the sound, i prefer the way the original looks, i dont like some of the balance changes, and by its nature co-op is more of a pain to do so id never recommend it over the original. one of my gaming dreams is for someone smarter and more obsessive than me to backport the super star ultra content into the snes game somehow

there were balance changes?? also ive never cooped a kirby game so I didn't take that into consideration. tho i imagine these days you're more likely to run into a friend with a DS than one with a SNES sitting around

the sound is slightly diminished if you compare them side-by-side but its not a huge deal, ymmv with the new art but passing up a lot of great extra levels and bosses for that seems kind of silly. i wouldn't doubt there's a hack out there that does what you describe

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

extremebuff posted:

there were balance changes?? also ive never cooped a kirby game so I didn't take that into consideration. tho i imagine these days you're more likely to run into a friend with a DS than one with a SNES sitting around

the sound is slightly diminished if you compare them side-by-side but its not a huge deal, ymmv with the new art but passing up a lot of great extra levels and bosses for that seems kind of silly. i wouldn't doubt there's a hack out there that does what you describe

i played it 69 years ago but the one i remember most is that they nerfed t.a.c. which is unacceptable to me. the main way i played superstar as a kid was co-op though so its an important part of the game, to me. the sounds just bad any way you slice it, even if the instruments didnt all sound off the volume is so low you can barely hear it. and i think the extra stuff is kind of neat but mostly unnecessary. like it's cool they added that kabula fight and masked dedede is very important and strong but i dont miss the rest of it that much

also galacta knight is lame

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

The story isn't as cool as IV by necessity, since there's no cool structural twist like before. But it's probably start to finish the most fun I've had with mainline SMT battles and bosses. It's so sick

It also has an actual difficulty curve. In SMT4 the Minotaur is probably one of the hardest bosses in the game because you don't have access to very many good demons or skills. And then by mid game you're a whirling god of destruction especially if you specced guns, and then everything just gets easier. SMT4:A actually gets harder the further you get in, which makes more sense. You can't cheese demon negotiations in A either.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

4 is much much better if you ask me

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Robobot is great

:yeah:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

my Gamer's Theme for 2019 is gonna be playing the 3ds back catalog

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Also lost an hour earlier today to Super Metroid, which was apparently stupid on my part because Hollow Knight exists.

Robert.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The eshop has a lot of crap but I guess it has a better ratio than like every console for the last decade and a half.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Trying out Robobot right now and it's really good. One of the few games that I think benefits from 3d a lot

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just found out a updated version of world of final fantasy came out on switch today...you can fish with noct now. Was this game ever good?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I just found out a updated version of world of final fantasy came out on switch today...you can fish with noct now. Was this game ever good?
I like it but it's not a must-have. It's a fun adventure and you'll look back on it with fond but non-specific memories.

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

4 is much much better if you ask me

Yeah I agree. 4A feels like a indie SMT clone for whatever reason.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

4A is incredible but it does have a bit of a romhack feel. I like it more than 4 and it doesn't have the insanely bad demon redesigns from 4 that pop up occasionally to give you aids

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I still like 4 more simply because the plot and characters are better. I don't like that in 4A your choices in dialogue are pretty much meaningless and it only boils down to you behaving like a polite normal person or a sociopath. The gameplay of 4A is much better because of the things I mentioned in my previous post and the partner AI isn't retarded so you don't have instances like Walter healing the enemy with Agi or whatever.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
id probably put 4 even above nocturne. i really think its a masterpiece. 4a isnt bad cos the gameplay is fundamentally the same but like, the partners are insanely powerful, the recurring unwinnable boss fight drives me nuts, theres no law and chaos system, the final dungeon is torture, theres only like a third of the sidequests the original had, stupid chuunibyou style plot etc.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
oh and not to mention theres that optional dungeon which is basically just a huge demon domain and all the bosses are just reused designs and you have to pay real money (?) to fight the final boss of it or something.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Oh yeah the final dungeon is really bad and would have been unbearable if I didn’t get the app that makes lower level demons not chase you.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I bought a brand new GameCube controller for smash. I'm ready

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
personally im a big fan of the horde encounters in there that you cant escape from with like 50 metatrons + reinforcements who have no weaknesses and resist physical -______-

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I like it but it's not a must-have. It's a fun adventure and you'll look back on it with fond but non-specific memories.

Hmm alright, I thought it was only 15 bucks so I was considering it but it's being sold as 15 dollar dlc for the original or 40 as a new purchase. So I guess I'll just wait. I wanna play XII when it comes out on switch even though that port is 40 freaking dollars for some reason.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I bought a brand new GameCube controller for smash. I'm ready

I forgot I preordered one and it’s coming this Friday. I don’t have the USB for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I picked up dragon quest builders for switch and it’s a really good mobile game.