Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
There's nothing to report back on, it's only happening tomorrow

The Dredd fish of Norway, best of luck and sane clients to you !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Mediation is the loving worst god-damned thing. I hate it and this poo poo is miserable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You just need toona to mediate for you.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah coach toss toona a bone so you don't have to suffer

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the well-wishing folks, it went okay but I don't think I'm the front runner. Made it down to the final 8 though, I guess that's something.

Alexeythegreat posted:

There's nothing to report back on, it's only happening tomorrow

The Dredd fish of Norway, best of luck and sane clients to you !

Good luck, don't drink the polonium coffee.

CaptainScraps posted:

Mediation is the loving worst god-damned thing. I hate it and this poo poo is miserable.

Family mediation? Yeah, holy poo poo those are the worst. We have something called conflict-and-reconciliation meetings in custody cases which are de facto though not de jure mandatory. They are usually led by a judge and a court appointed family psychologist where it's mostly the latter that does the work of trying to get the parties talking. Lawyers, thankfully, are mostly expected to shut the gently caress up and at most advise their client, but we have to step in and push when something looks to be getting somewhere. You do get all the drama all the time and not a reasonable thought to be found. The most these meetings are good for are costing money and delaying cases for ever. I had a loving year delay on a case over the judge insisting we needed to mediate the case several times, which got us exactly nowhere and we ended up in court and my side won. Pointless.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I make 80k regardless of how much or little I work.

same

related i 2nd chaired a trial which involved me sitting pretty and doing nothing all day and then getting real drunk at night because lawyer

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

Thanks for the well-wishing folks, it went okay but I don't think I'm the front runner. Made it down to the final 8 though, I guess that's something.

Actually, made it to a callback apparently. Guess I'll see if my luck holds.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
My interview went much better than expected and they claim to not give a drat if I’m loyal or not, as long as I’m not too public in criticizing them on work-related matters specifically. This was also the first interview in my life that didn’t turn into an oral exam on the law of contracts, which is always nice.

Apparently, this isn’t a lot of work planned (pretty much hiring law firms for international disputes and reviewing their bills) and they’re ready to make an offer. We all took until the end of the next week to make final decisions (I have other options and ongoing cases of my own that I’d have to forfeit if I take the offer)

When I asked if I’ll be allowed to teach and participate in conferences abroad, and also hinted at them being closed off the response was “Yes, we’re a very closed shop, but I’m the one in charge and I think that this is wrong, so you’ll be given such opportunity”

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Sessions fired, his Chief of Staff has been appointed, and presumably he will take direct supervision of the Mueller investigation?!?!?

Seems like lawyers are all part of the problem

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Sessions fired, his Chief of Staff has been appointed, and presumably he will take direct supervision of the Mueller investigation?!?!?

Seems like lawyers are all part of the problem

New job opening.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Bill Schuette is gonna be the next AG, hail satan

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Never mind someone just reminded me Kris Kobach exists and is somehow an even bigger pile of poo poo than Schuette so of course it'll be him

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
There’s so many pieces of poo poo to choose from.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

You all know it is gonna be Kobach.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Personal nightmare scenario for me was Jindal for DHHS or VA. That would’ve been terrible. I don’t think Rick Scott would’ve accepted either because there would be no money in it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Eminent Domain posted:

It’ll be Lindsey Graham. He’s put in the catamite work.

Not that it matters who the next real AG is. If the plan is to get the interim to do the dirty work.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I am now an alumnus of a law school that produced a US Attorney General (acting).

Suck it Drake.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 8, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
A professor of mine just became AG of my state. Do I sleep with him (Y)/(N)?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
First loss in a domestic abuse trial. Feels bad man.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Throatwarbler posted:

Doesn't WLRK not bill clients by the hour? Maybe their associates don't track hours either?

Wachtell doesn’t for deal work—they get a percentage of the transaction. Attorneys still track their time, but I get the sense from my buddy who works there that it’s just for internal tracking. I think they track their time normally for litigation matters.

His numbers (and some of the numbers in this thread) are nuts. I was on pace for 2600 for 6 months and felt like a pile of goo towards the end of it.

Arcturas posted:

Yuns, what does your firm's realization rate look like for associate time? My feeling from mid-size firms in my town (20-80 attorneys) is associate realization tends to be at least 85%. Unless someone was bullshitting me, which is totally possible. Even at 85%, take a 5th year associate that someone's billing at $400/hr, 1900 hrs, gets you...$646,000 in the door. A third to overhead, a third to associate salary and bennies, and I can see a third going to partner profit.

I don’t want to get too specific, but the numbers I’ve seen are high 80s to low 90s.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
My billable requirements are 150 a month. I'm in a small firm so a bunch of non billable time.

I turned down the courthouse gig. This job has the right amount of pay for the work. I eat dinner with my kids every day (when I'm not traveling).

My student loans are finally being paid down.

Go to law school, work yourself to death as a solo/small firm for 6 years, close up shop, work at a poo poo hole for 6 months, find a decent job and finnaly be able to pay down your debt 7 years later....

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pook Good Mook posted:

First loss in a domestic abuse trial. Feels bad man.

Another loss in a murder trial. Still feels bad.
At least the jury didn't ask why they couldn't give the death penalty.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Anyone know anything about / anyone that works at Tully Rickney and could shed some insight on the firm, work environment, culture etc.

Also do any of the mid/big law goons know what it’s like for a non lawyer to do marketing for a mid/big firm

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 8, 2018

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
just cited my first 10 million patent as prior art. how time flies.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EwokEntourage posted:

Anyone know anything about / anyone that works at Tully Rickney and could shed some insight on the firm, work environment, culture etc.

Also do any of the mid/big law goons know what it’s like for a non lawyer to do marketing for a mid/big firm

My experience working IT in a law firm was that you're both consider a guru of forbidden knowledge and loving expendable. It all depends on the specific management which group of partners wins out.
(My firm paid loving good and they still have several IT employees there from like 15+ years ago).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Eminent Domain posted:

Main problem with him is he has the stink of loser all over him.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

A professor of mine just became AG of my state. Do I sleep with him (Y)/(N)?

Yeah, I had that happen too. He was incompetent and ended up not running after one term. Make sure he isn't about to antagonize everyone in the state.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

EwokEntourage posted:

Marketing was the sorority darling of the non-lawyer employees at the firm I worked at (about 275 lawyers). It was all women and two metrosexual dudes. It was the only non-lawyer position with any hope of advancement. They had intermediate manager and director position created for them for reasons. I was there 9 years and marketing went from 4-5 employees headed by a Manager to 20+ headed by a C-level. In the same time period, the lawyer count only grew by about a third.

Only one anecdotal example, and it probably depends on the firm, but Marketing was the place to be as a non-lawyer. I think there is some risk though. I was friendly with the Litigation practice manager and he said his last firm got top heavy that, with unnecessary manager and director levels, and after a few years the firm blew it up. Probably elected a new Manager Partner who wanted to cut overhead and went for the biggest target.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Mid sized firm I worked at had a marketing director whose job seemed to consist entirely of setting up parties, scheduling various social events and travel plans, and sitting in meetings but offering nothing of substance. Most lawyers viewed her with disdain and blamed her for lack of serious client development, but she still has a job after like 8 years so :shrug:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Mid sized firm I worked at had a marketing director whose job seemed to consist entirely of setting up parties, scheduling various social events and travel plans, and sitting in meetings but offering nothing of substance. Most lawyers viewed her with disdain and blamed her for lack of serious client development, but she still has a job after like 8 years so :shrug:

We have one of those with the same basic job duties, however we all appreciate the fact that we don't have to put poo poo that we aren't going to go to on our own calendars.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah, Most of the bloated marketing dept were party planners. Director and C-level did some “strategic” work, which I assumed was puffery bullshit. We had access to canned litigation and deal reports from Westlaw. And my feeling was the firm got work based on lawyer reputation and client relationships, not because clients liked our car salesmen.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I just looked at the new thread for the first time and had missed the most recent Toona developments including taking and losing the recruiter job and losing his house. That part of the OP is incredible.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
thanks for the advice

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ginsburg hospitalized.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

As much as I respect RBG, I can't believe she didn't step down during Obama's term. I know everyone assumed Clinton would win, but...80 is old enough to retire.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

As much as I respect RBG, I can't believe she didn't step down during Obama's term. I know everyone assumed Clinton would win, but...80 is old enough to retire.

It's okay she just needs to stick it out 6 more years, McCain style

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
When would she have needed to step down to keep her vacancy from being the Merrick Garland bullshit all over again?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

When would she have needed to step down to keep her vacancy from being the Merrick Garland bullshit all over again?

Maybe when she turned 80, which I believe was in the first year of Obama's second term. I also think replacing a liberal with a liberal wouldn't have elicited the same ridiculous response as Scalia's opening got. But maybe I'm giving McConnell too much credit. I wouldn't be shocked if Trump were to go down in flames and the GOP Senate still refuses to seat a single judge nominated by a Democrat ever again, for *reasons*

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah if she retired in 2013, Harry Reid was still majority leader. It wouldn’t have been a big deal.

They definitely think Scalias seat is “theirs” for eternity. If RBG eats it and we have a 6-3 Court, Dems will try to pack the court.

E: when they get the chance in like 2032.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Just saw Chris Christie is in the conversation lmao Trump's going back in for another dunk