Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i mean i got zero beef with entities psychic, extradimensional or even paracausal. bring em on and in, we'll have a fuckin kegger

just... not out of a black hole, okay? :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You get a your butt stuck in a black hole one day and see how that changes your mood and outlook on life.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

You get a your butt stuck in a black hole one day and see how that changes your mood and outlook on life.

Constipation is cured.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The name/post combos here are pretty intense.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

wiegieman posted:

String the worm along right up until it tries to move in then murder it to death.

friendsectored again

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've never ended up following the worm events to the very end. I've read the event code so I know what happens, but at some point I give up with how long it's taking and never go back to that save again.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

binge crotching posted:

I've never ended up following the worm events to the very end. I've read the event code so I know what happens, but at some point I give up with how long it's taking and never go back to that save again.

Gaining like 5 new planets in your home system is p neat

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of which I think it's time to load a new save because after about 10 hours this is pretty much looking like Endless Goddamn War and that seems like a bit of a tiresome solution to all of my problems

Also, wow, 2274. Isn't the midgame crisis around 2300? Sure didn't get much done.

(e) Also also, the War Claims system is like exactly the reverse of how my understanding of war goes and it's hurting my head

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You are in a fantastic position, seems to me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh in a fantastic position to crush all before me, sure! i just wanna hug.

crushing with hugs optional :v:

(edit) I wonder how many unique takes there are on The Culture, in terms of ethics, traits and governance selection (or even whether they're organically led, of course)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 7, 2018

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Trivia posted:

I always just end up ignoring factions. While that's viable, it's wildly inefficient I'm betting. Anyone have any general advice when dealing with them?

I'm going to assume there's more them than just 1) Pick faction you like 2) Support them 3) Potentially suppress ones you don't like.

it depends on your empire ethics, but it's pretty easy to keep 3 or 4 factions above 60%. the only one i ever really suppress is xenophobes because they're almost always totally miserable if they're not happy. with militarists or spiritualists it's usually pretty easy to keep them at a manageable happiness level even if you've got large pacifist or materialist factions at 60%+

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You wanna hug, but you picked the fascist terran faction? :v:

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That AutoBuild mod one of you guys mentioned god knows how many pages ago is fantastic. It was basically exactly what I wanted by default and the config menu thing made tweaking it easy. It's absurd to me that the game has had bad planet and sector AI for its entire lifetime and some random dude on steam can just throw together something better.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of which I think it's time to load a new save because after about 10 hours this is pretty much looking like Endless Goddamn War and that seems like a bit of a tiresome solution to all of my problems

Stay. The. Course.

Kill. Them. All.

Also, holy poo poo, you finally meet neighbors and it's a devouring swarm, two fanatic purifiers, and a hegemonic imperialist?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ciaphas posted:

oh in a fantastic position to crush all before me, sure! i just wanna hug.

Vavrek posted:

Also, holy poo poo, you finally meet neighbors and it's a devouring swarm, two fanatic purifiers, and a hegemonic imperialist?

Dude, most of the galaxy will LOVE you for killing those kinds of neighbors, except maybe the imperialist. But Devouring Swarms, Fanatic Purifiers, and Determined Exterminators are existential threats and the galaxy will unite against them. Having them nearby makes everyone band together out of fear.

Offer favorable trade deals until you can get non-aggression pacts with everyone else, and watch the love-in start.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You wanna hug, but you picked the fascist terran faction? :v:

Someone said it'd be the easy way to learn the game! Funny enough, I did learn a lot :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my loving god

i decided, before i stopped, to buddy up a touch with some of the gross nonthreatening alien boys and figured out where the rest of the sovs are, and there's another hegemonizing imperialist AND devouring swarm in the southeast :psyboom:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

oh my loving god

i decided, before i stopped, to buddy up a touch with some of the gross nonthreatening alien boys and figured out where the rest of the sovs are, and there's another hegemonizing imperialist AND devouring swarm in the southeast :psyboom:

the galaxy has given you many horrible xenos to purge :hai:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ciaphas posted:

oh my loving god

That is a great game. You can murder everything and feel good about it. You don't even have to worry about claims when it comes to war with the bad boys (your purifiers, exterminators, devouring swarms). Any war with them is a "total war" and you automatically take any territory you've fully conquered (starbase + planets, if any)

The imperialists are going to hate you, but that's okay. They hate everybody.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just wanna say, Ciaphas, you're making me wanna play the game again, but fuuuuuuuck tiles. I can't. I just can't.

I'll just wait (im)patiently.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

hegemonic imperalists are the worst. at least with devouring swarms and fanatic purifiers you can just kill them and take their stuff

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah now that i understand a little more about who is what and why i realize this is literally the perfect Purge The Unclean game :black101:

I'll definitely be back to it! Gonna muse more at chargen (empiregen?) some more for now though

(edit) also starting over gives me a chance to try that AutoBuild mod, since I remembered I don't actually care about cheevs :v: still gonna ironman though, doesn't feel like the kind of game you should reload out of.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just wanna say, Ciaphas, you're making me wanna play the game again, but fuuuuuuuck tiles. I can't. I just can't.

I'll just wait (im)patiently.

:emptyquote:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:shobon: i've always been interested in the storytelling capability of games like this and CK2 and... well, Paradox games, really, I guess. Just always found em too goddamn impenetrable to bother with until Stellaris gave it the aesthetic polish I wanted :v:

I'm not finding tiles too terrifically aggravating now that I understand the rules and have AutoBuild handling the purely mechanistic clicking, but they're definitely kinda :geno: compared to other mechanics. (And of course I'm having to run a mod.) Fingers crossed on the update, I suppose

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Same here. Just sitting here hoping and wishing that LeGuin comes out before Christmas.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

wiegieman posted:

String the worm along right up until it tries to move in then murder it to death.

Vavrek posted:

The name/post combos here are pretty intense.

Right? But no, I'm a big believer in aunties proverb so it checks out. :allears:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

New to the thread, but not Stellaris. Nice OP.

Anyone hit a bug in synthetic Dawn that spawns a 900k fleet with a -100% damage debuff? I got a synthetic fleet of 150 battleships, cruisers, destroyers and Corvettes that all deal 0 damage.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lil Peeler posted:

New to the thread, but not Stellaris. Nice OP.

Anyone hit a bug in synthetic Dawn that spawns a 900k fleet with a -100% damage debuff? I got a synthetic fleet of 150 battleships, cruisers, destroyers and Corvettes that all deal 0 damage.

Did they use their jump drive? That get's a debuff.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Any idea where the humanoid-specific voice packs are in the folders? I've been searching everywhere but can't find them.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Each fe/ae have their own specific ships that never change.

For fanatic materialists you'll want a large amount of hull tanked ships with assorted kinetic/energy weapons and some pd at point blank with a secondary fleet of fully shielded kinetic artillery battleships at max range. The reasons for the former is that they counter the heavy reliance on strike craft and disruptors. The latter is to counter the massive amounts of shields and the tachyon lance on their battleships.
For fanatis spiritualists you'll want even more pd than for the materialists and rely mainly on heavily shielded cruisers/battleships. Your line ships should be fully equipped with pd to counter the missile spam and should carry a good mix of weapons. Again a secondary line of artillery battleships is essential for shield cracking.

Missiles/Torps can be used if you are sure you can overwhelm for either of them. Protect your artillery at all times. They are essential and highly vulnerable.

Should hopefully get you through the fight!

Trip report now that I finally got some time to play again.
I messed up in the fleet manager and got my poo poo pushed in. But I did get some wreckage to analyze and consider it a win in the end.
Meanwhile they decided to expand away from me (didn't even take my living metal) so I've got plenty of time and income to rebuild and come back even stronger.
Hell, with my Dyson sphere starting to come online I'm not even dependent on my tributaries for income anymore. I just converted my mining planet into all matter replicators and am still at several hundreds of energy surplus.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Libluini posted:

Did they use their jump drive? That get's a debuff.

I think they had it, but even then it's not a 100% debuff lol. And this one wasn't on a timer.

Also I'd be happy to help plug in the added ascension perks from Utopia/Apoc if it'll go in the OP.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 7, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Lil Peeler posted:

I think they had it, but even then it's not a 100% debuff lol. And this one wasn't on a timer.

Also I'd be happy to help plug in the added ascension perks from Utopia/Apoc if it'll go in the OP.

Go for it. As long as there's a goon consensus, I'll put it in.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

just making sure, there's no good "short" form exportable infographic for how my empire is doing overall that i can post to forums etc., is there

i was thinking something other than screenshots of the diplomacy screen and map would be nice to say "hey here's my empire"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ciaphas posted:

just making sure, there's no good "short" form exportable infographic for how my empire is doing overall that i can post to forums etc., is there

i was thinking something other than screenshots of the diplomacy screen and map would be nice to say "hey here's my empire"

Paradox games have often included things like this but they've been seemingly dead set against any sort of "ledger" screens in Stellaris :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

rats

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

It would look mega underwhelming to open the ledger and be like "okay let's see where my empire and the 6 other empires in the whole galaxy stand!! yeah!" so I have a feeling that plays a role in the decision to not include it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i can see that i suppose

maybe it's different after mid or in late/postgame but i find it very difficult to, for example, pin down why all 3 of my sectors are at between 0 and -11E. and even the budget tab for this is a little unclear since I'm not sure how sectors and your empire's overall income interact, so while my empire was at like +56 or something absurd all my sectors were struggling so i had to keep manually shoveling money at em

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I think you can still click the planets and see their resource generation from the summary screen even if they're in a sector, it's annoying but you can probably figure out where the energy hole is coming from

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

blech. leguin pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It would look mega underwhelming to open the ledger and be like "okay let's see where my empire and the 6 other empires in the whole galaxy stand!! yeah!" so I have a feeling that plays a role in the decision to not include it

I just find that in Stellaris I have such a hard time really tracking my progress or having a good handle on where I stand in the universe. In most other 4X games they give you all sorts of graphs and charts and lists and I love that poo poo. I want to see a graph of my empire population over time and notice that huge spike after I started habitat spamming that sent me from the #4 most populous nation to #1 in just 30 years. I want important and fluff stats like civ's demographics screen. What empire is the most happy? Most productive? Show me the change in ethos empire and galaxy wide. Oh odd in 2310 there was a huge galaxy-wide uptick in egalitarian pops?? Oh that's when I went on my liberation-war spree, cool, nice to see it had an impact.