Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

When Hank is relieved to hear that Bobby was half naked in Connie's room, I used to parse it as 'oh he's just glad Bobby is showing maturity".

But, having moved to a rural area even more famous for gay-bashing than Texas (they found Matthew Shepherd just down the road from here) I don't know. 'That boy ain't right' huh? Hmm.

Luckily the show ended over a decade ago so dredging up how it's politics can be ugly is a dull edge. Unlike some cartoon families...

Detective No. 27 posted:

That scene is absolutely Hank being relieved that Bobby is straight.

I never read it this way at all, I always saw it as Hank being happy that Bobby did something that a normal teenage boy would do, for once. Of all the weird poo poo Bobby was into, that Hank didn't understand, getting busted in a girl's room half naked was something Hank could wrap his head around and consider the actions of a "normal" teenage boy.

v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

He let's out a gigantic sigh of relief on that one. He for sure thought Bobby was gay.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

I never read it this way at all, I always saw it as Hank being happy that Bobby did something that a normal teenage boy would do, for once. Of all the weird poo poo Bobby was into, that Hank didn't understand, getting busted in a girl's room half naked was something Hank could wrap his head around and consider the actions of a "normal" teenage boy.

v:shobon:v

I see your point, but somehow I don't think he would have reacted the same way if it had been Joseph's room. I think Hank thinks gay people are, in his own words from another episode, "horribly wrong". It's very blatant.

Again, not to say we can't enjoy this media from the past, because it has the good taste to remain in the past. Ahem.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TheKingslayer posted:

He let's out a gigantic sigh of relief on that one. He for sure thought Bobby was gay.

i read it very differently because i always assumed it was really obvious that bobby isn't gay, he's just... bobbeh

A Tad Ghostal
Dec 2, 2014

Wake up, I want to... wash myself,
Clean my wrists,
Scrub my brains out.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I see your point, but somehow I don't think he would have reacted the same way if it had been Joseph's room. I think Hank thinks gay people are, in his own words from another episode, "horribly wrong". It's very blatant.

To be perhaps unnecessarily fair to hank, he did think they were brothers at first.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hank walked into a gay rodeo and it didn't even cross his mind until he saw Dale's dad kiss his boyfriend. I think Hank is just incredibly naive about homosexuality.

Also his bowling nickname that he absolutely loved, "Flamer."

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think Hank Is a good dad. Bobby being gay would be hard for hank in that he would have to change his parenting tactics supremely and change is not his forte.

Every time bobby does something not like his childhood is another curveball thrown at him. He knows hes gonna stumble with bobby which is why he gets excited when bobby shows interest in things he likes. Finally that boy threw me an easy one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hank definitely would end up being fine with Bobby being gay if that were the case. If anything I'd imagine an episode where Bobby gets a more masculine boyfriend and Hank loves him and then gets hurt when they break up etc

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I also want to point out that it's a private moment- Hank waited until he was alone to show his relief. It walks a really fine line where, I agree, Hank is a good dad. He would have still loved Bobby, he's glad he doesn't have to do it the hard way now.

It's still f'd up but everyone being f'd up somehow is one of the show's moral hinges, so I think it works. For the early 00's at least.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

hawowanlawow posted:

Hank definitely would end up being fine with Bobby being gay if that were the case. If anything I'd imagine an episode where Bobby gets a more masculine boyfriend and Hank loves him and then gets hurt when they break up etc

I already love this episode and want it to exist.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hihohe posted:

I already love this episode and want it to exist.

That it does exist but with a ventriloquist dummy, which Dale is terrified of, is just yet another reason to love KotH.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That it does exist but with a ventriloquist dummy, which Dale is terrified of, is just yet another reason to love KotH.

Iron Chef! Iron Chef! Iron Chef!

Gonna say I would totally watch Monsignor Martinez. That show seems bad rear end.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 7, 2018

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

TheKingslayer posted:

Gonna say I would totally watch Monsignor Martinez. That show seems bad rear end.

Hell yes it does, sign me up.

I was thinking the other day how much I like Buck Strickland. He's sleazy, but he just seems to own it so sincerely.

Every once in a while in traffic I think to myself "I like to eat, I like to hump, and I don't like to drive!"

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

This post is a treasure. Strong work piecing that together.

I just laughed out loud annoyingly when I realized you were right.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TheKingslayer posted:

Iron Chef! Iron Chef! Iron Chef!

vaya con dios compadre

monsignor martinez seems like the sort of thing netflix should produce

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They actually did make a live action pilot for Monsignor Martinez but it didn't go anywhere.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Code Jockey posted:

I was thinking the other day how much I like Buck Strickland. He's sleazy, but he just seems to own it so sincerely.

Every once in a while in traffic I think to myself "I like to eat, I like to hump, and I don't like to drive!"

What annoys me most about Buck has nothing to do with Buck himself, but that Hank's interactions with him are wildly inconsistent. In one episode Hank will be well aware of Buck's sleaziness and does his best to mitigate that to keep the business above board, and the next Hank will be completely oblivious to the fact Buck is anything other than an honest and hard-working businessman.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Code Jockey posted:

"I'm sorry sir. I don't know if you've ever ridden a block of ice before...."

"Well I married Miss Liz, didn’t I?"

haljordan fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 7, 2018

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Strickland unapologetically making his employees meet in the restroom while he is making GBS threads is some next level alpha management.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Wicker Man posted:

Strickland unapologetically making his employees meet in the restroom while he is making GBS threads is some next level alpha management.

well he promises not to make a habit of it

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I love how Buck has a sixth sense for the sleaziest poo poo everywhere (stick fights, craps game in Hot Springs, etc.)

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

The sequence where Buck and the other owners have to sound innocent for the mic while they're actually frolicking in a huge pile of cash, oh man. Stephen Root owns Bill hard but drat if I don't love him as Buck even more.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The sequence where Buck and the other owners have to sound innocent for the mic while they're actually frolicking in a huge pile of cash, oh man. Stephen Root owns Bill hard but drat if I don't love him as Buck even more.

Is this the episode with the propane cartel?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wicker Man posted:

It's a loving tribute to the greatest Texan, LBJ

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Not Kinky Friedman?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

haljordan posted:

Is this the episode with the propane cartel?

Yeah, the price-fixing one. Arlen's a pretty shamelessly lawless town, honestly.

"Fancy Ridin', Tex!"
*Joseph's beaming smile*

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah, the price-fixing one. Arlen's a pretty shamelessly lawless town, honestly.

"Fancy Ridin', Tex!"
*Joseph's beaming smile*

And then later in the episode he has like a bandage on his head or a cast lol

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

haljordan posted:

And then later in the episode he has like a bandage on his head or a cast lol

It's stupid, it's 100% because I ride a bike, but that is probably my favorite moment in the whole show. Just the thought of Joseph's dumbass grin as he fucks up the asphalt peeling out in circles at an intersection, and Fred Willard as the worthless post-9/11 school cop, oh man.

"Fancy Ridin', Tex!" is gonna be my epitaph if I bite it on wheels, I swear it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's stupid, it's 100% because I ride a bike, but that is probably my favorite moment in the whole show. Just the thought of Joseph's dumbass grin as he fucks up the asphalt peeling out in circles at an intersection, and Fred Willard as the worthless post-9/11 school cop, oh man.

It's a good one. Make sure it's in your will

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

It's even relevant now because all these companies are just dumping electric scooters on the streets of a bunch of cities and are basically like "Have at it, assholes!"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

TheKingslayer posted:

There was an episode where something like this came up, and Peggy said to Hank, "I don't think we have to worry about that anymore."

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

King Possum III posted:

There was an episode where something like this came up, and Peggy said to Hank, "I don't think we have to worry about that anymore."

it's the wrestling episode, and Peggy says to Hank, "what if Bobby were a girl" and Hank says "we don't have to worry about that anymore"

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Who What Now posted:

What annoys me most about Buck has nothing to do with Buck himself, but that Hank's interactions with him are wildly inconsistent.

It's interesting how Hank sometimes calls his boss "Buck," and other times, "Mr. Strickland." In a way, he feels (or wants to feel) close to Buck, but also wants to show respect by acknowledging his authority.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Buck is the dad Hank wishes he had. The Jimmy Carter episode is very blalant about it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Buck is the dad Hank wishes he had. The Jimmy Carter episode is very blalant about it.

They told me it was bulletproof.

Since we talk inconsistent points of the show. In the episode Khan gets fired you get to see his physique when Hank finds him in the gas station bathroom. Later on Minh credits him with having great abs. Granted he could have started working out. Otherwise though its something that's always bothered me.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 7, 2018

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

haljordan posted:

I love how Buck has a sixth sense for the sleaziest poo poo everywhere (stick fights, craps game in Hot Springs, etc.)

He’s on a gravy train with biscuit wheels! Wallet caddy!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
At one point Hank congratulates Bobby on putting out his first Buck Strickland fire, and says it’ll only take him a couple hundred more until he catches up.

Both of Hank’s dads are sleazes, and he is blind to it... while also firmly believing that his mom is an idiot. It’s no wonder he’s an emotional wreck. He can only cry over his truck, which is the Charlotte Heston to his Ethan Hawke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
dusty old bones full of green dust