Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it is kinda funny that they displayed the subscriber counts as though they were power levels or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Mashima literally writes like some deep learning algorithm that had every 90's battle shounen and ecchi manga thrown into it.

EXPOSITORY CHARACTER: AH, YES. THIS CONVERSATION WE'RE HAVING REMINDS ME OF THIS SPECIFIC NUMBER OF ADDITIONAL MAIN CAST MEMBERS AND MCGUFFINS WE MUST COLLECT TO START THE FINAL ARC.
Everyone Else: i have no idea what you're talking about but i won't ask you to actually explain any of the important stuff you kinda alluded to in case we decide to change stuff later
New Main Cast Member: I have arrived but my motivations are entirely unclear. This does not matter because your leader is shounen lead archetype, "Happy Idiot who wants friends"
Villains: We're just cartoonishly evil, we'd normally kick a puppy or something here but the additional non-shounen data we have indicates we must imply something rapey and maybe make the female lead's boobs pop out
Female Lead: Kyaa!! I'm helpless since we're not enough arcs in for me to have the weakest badguy with a nametag to get an unsatisfying win against!

Didn't she already get a win once with her Happy guns? :v:

Man this manga is so shameless, it's terrible and I can't look away yet.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

it is kinda funny that they displayed the subscriber counts as though they were power levels or something
Mashima really understands modern kids I think

Darth TNT posted:

Didn't she already get a win once with her Happy guns? :v:
Yeah but those were nameless mooks. Right now she's at mook-cleanup detail where she'll get to beat up comically weak fodder so long as it doesn't interfere with possible scenes where she could be put in bondage or stripped- she needs to level up a bit before she'll get fed the weakest named mook from an established badguy group. Her tits might just pop out anyway though because it's Mashima.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 7, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

New JuJu
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/30/page/1

Nanamin you big softy :ohdear:

Also Volume 1 and 2 of juju passed the 300k sales mark
is that good

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 7, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Black Clover is the parts of Fairy Tail/Eden’s Zero that are good without all the constant tits and rear end.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

constant tits and rear end.
Excuse me this is the good part

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Angry Grimace posted:

Black Clover is the parts of Fairy Tail/Eden’s Zero that are good without all the constant tits and rear end.

But Noelle refuses to wear pants! And tits and rear end is pretty much Vanessa's whole gimmick. It also had the most blatant hot springs chapter in a while.
Tabata is thirsty as gently caress, just check out his color spreads.

He's just less creepy about it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

So of the Seven birdmen needed for this next step. We have a switchboard operator/Mind controller, and a Megaphone/Amplifier. I can imagine if the end goal is a global birdmen network they would also need someone to help manage the vast amount of information that hundreds of thousands of minds connected together would contain. Maybe that could be two people together.

Really interested in where this is going to go because it's looking like multiple factions are striving for a "Thousand year kingdom" scenario and it's just a matter of who gets to come out on top. I'm also a bit disheartened re-reading through this series that it still hasn't gotten an official english translation. Yellow is a phenomenal mangaka and I want to say Kekkaishi was popoular enough to get both it's manga and anime adapted into multiple languages so the lack of anything Birdmen related out in the west sucks.

Jesus don't throw a flashback in like that. That's how people die immediately afterwards and there were so many death flags that just got tripped.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mulderman posted:

But Noelle refuses to wear pants! And tits and rear end is pretty much Vanessa's whole gimmick. It also had the most blatant hot springs chapter in a while.
Tabata is thirsty as gently caress, just check out his color spreads.

He's just less creepy about it.

Also there hasnt so far been a single major female character lacking in competence.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also there hasnt so far been a single major female character lacking in competence.

Black Clover has the most competent and powerful line up of ladies in all of shounen.

Noelle: Constantly manages to finish her own 1 on 1 fights and looks good while doing it.
Charmy: Pretty much an infinite supply of mana.
Grey: Can change the elemental properties of magic, which is this world is the equivalent of a game genie.
Vanessa: Competent Orihime
Mereoleona: Powerful as all get out and has a bigger set of balls than most men in any form of fiction.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was also that one captain, who was so badass as an elf that yami had to run away with his tail between his legs. every other elf since they escaped from the floating elf tower has gotten beaten up, but not her.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Gotoubun

Cute Miku first half, but of course bad dad had to show up at the end.

Also, just loving confess already Miku

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ibblebibble posted:

Also, just loving confess already Miku

:emptyquote:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rigged Death Trap posted:

New JuJu
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/30/page/1

Nanamin you big softy :ohdear:

Also Volume 1 and 2 of juju passed the 300k sales mark
is that good
Those are solid sales. Not amazing but definitely an indicator of it being well liked and probably something that'll stick around.

I like that Sukuna just murks guy despite the fact the only reason his technique "touched" Sukuna is because Yuuji broke into his territory.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/87/page/1

A look in the lives of a newlywed couple.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

As a Rizu fan I can only decry the recent Fumino focus, but she's second best dammit :negative:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

As a Rizu fan I can only decry the recent Fumino focus, but she's second best dammit :negative:
:yeshaha:

She was very powerful this chapter. It's gonna be tough for the others to top that.

I do wonder what Nariyuki's up to. I wonder what the original Japanese was, since "date" using the English word vs "let's go out" have similar meanings but are written differently so the latter could remain ambiguous while the former would be very straightforward for Nariyuki.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Wtf kind of interjection is "upeee?"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
This better not be trying to pull an Endeavor with Math Dick.

It's barely tolerable in MHA (made so by Endeavor having his Christmas systematically hosed at every turn since he's tried to make amends) and it will make me drop this comic like it was a two bit marvel floppy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Fun chapter.

ConanThe3rd posted:

This better not be trying to pull an Endeavor with Math Dick.

It's barely tolerable in MHA (made so by Endeavor having his Christmas systematically hosed at every turn since he's tried to make amends) and it will make me drop this comic like it was a two bit marvel floppy.

I have no idea what you're saying.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah. Are we talking about the same manga? Also accept the fact that their relationship will be restored. Probably due to no small part on Yuiga.

A broken relationship can be restored. And that is a good thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth TNT posted:

Fun chapter.

I have no idea what you're saying.
This man right here...

... is Endeavor, a.k.a. Enji Todoroki, from My Hero Academia. He's a hero with a certain in-story rep and to say that he's a polarizing figure within that manga /the manga's fandom would be putting it mildly, and the reason ConanThe3rd brought him up is due to the fact that he's also the father of one of the main characters in MHA.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Anybody else reading Retired Heroes?

It is actually a Chinese manhua, but it doesn't have anything to do with wuxia, xianxia, cultivation, transmigration, or anything that you see from many of the popular Chinese based stories. It is just pure fantasy.

Mangadex also claims it is shounen so I'm mentioning it here.

Anyway, I think it has been doing a good job so far setting up the world and growing the characters and I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah i saw it mentioned somewhere else here yesterday and took a look, i'm usually apprehensive about manhua becuase a) their translations tend to be not great and b) the content tends to either be dumb wish fulfillment or rely on knowledge of cultural or historical stuff. This one though, pure fantasy as mentioned, no prior knowledge needed and the translation is p. good, or at least it's p. good English.

It does have a pretty good flow, and things that seem confusing at first (like the other kids being really apprehensive about the girl's mom) do make sense later, and without the author feeling the need to cram the mystery's solution down your throat later in the same chapter. It's mostly comedy i guess, but does go into more "serious" fantasy beats lately. The comedy isn't outstanding, but i find it consistently entertaining.
My only complaint is that the author does occasionally rely on dumb tired comedy clichés like "haha, woman bad at cooking" or "haha, he called his wife fat and she's upset" but it's a minor complaint and really my only one so far.
He makes up for the former example by spinning it into a funny take about the protagonist's family just having literally no taste.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ibblebibble posted:

I mean the problem is that Fumino is the only one that comes off as an actual rounded character capable of having an meaningful conversation with Yuiga to the point it would make no sense if someone else ended up with him.

It’s the author’s fault for wasting so much of Rizu’s panel time on boob gags and such.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean the problem is that Fumino is the only one that comes off as an actual rounded character capable of having an meaningful conversation with Yuiga to the point it would make no sense if someone else ended up with him.

It’s the author’s fault for wasting so much of Rizu’s panel time on boob gags and such.

Yeah, it's a shame. At least I have Gotoubun to get my cute redhead fix.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like we'll get a bigger Rizu arc probably next year. We've had a few chapters focused on Uraka, now we're dealing with Fumino. So by that logic, Rizu should be next. Probably after this arc ends and we've had a few chapters in between.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The Uraka arc is going to be huge I bet, they've been setting up her going over seas for a while now.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't completely agree with that. Uruka is pretty well rounded as well, though she's primarily defined by her love for Nariyuki. Though that feels like a more natural type deal then the others.

I'd say the only one who hasn't received any depth at all is probably Rizu. (despite best girl status)

Fumino: Trying to teach Nariyuki about girl feelings, has a dead mom, has a father devil feeding her insecurity and mistreating her :qq:. Wants to go into math to prove herself (and possibly to her father as well) despite having no talent.
Uruka: Childhood friend, love interest. Finds Nariyuki to be something of an inspiration. Wants to be an Olympic swimmer, but needs some help to get her grades an acceptable level. Can go overseas for studies now, but can she leave Nariyuki behind?
Rizu: Squirrel, big breasts, wants to do literature despite lack of talent. Has a stalker and a slightly creepy dad.

Wait, why is Rizu the best girl again?

Then there are the other girls who also have more depth like Kominami and Teacher.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

To be fair, before this arc Fumino could be defined as: Washboard who cheers for her friends and is totally not in love with Yuiga or anything.

So mark my words, 2019 will be the year or Udon I mean Rizu.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rizu's hidden depths: she prefers soba.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Let's go deeper, cold or hot soba?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

To be fair, before this arc Fumino could be defined as: Washboard who cheers for her friends and is totally not in love with Yuiga or anything.

True. But the cheers for her friends bit does already give her more depth than Rizu. Her brother/sister relation chats with Nariyuki makes her seem like the most whole character even before more backstory.
And I will mark your words and hope that they will be true. I want to see little Rizu shine. :) (and hook up with her stalker)

Mulderman posted:

Let's go deeper, cold or hot soba?

Don't stare into the abyss!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

That's true to an extent, but to put it that way is to ignore the depths it gives her. "Cheers for her friends and is secretly in love with Yuiga" sounds simple enough but the way she goes about it is fascinating. The instances where she lets her guard down and betrays herself, and the times she gets fed up with her friends and tries to push them to aim for what they want are so well done. And she has the most development with regards to her dream in my opinion. Rizu is an adorkable robot who wants to learn human emotions in order to understand people and win at board games. Uruka really likes swimming and Nariyuki.

Fumino is drawn to the stars because of the stories of them and their constellations (a cool way in which her dream intertwines with what she's really good at) and also because it's what she has left of her mother since they used to read about space together. I'm sure the other two have more to their dreams than meets the eye as well, but none of their developments have impressed me the way the ryokan inn story with Fumino did and that chapter is part of the reason I support her so much.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'm convinced the only thing that keeps me coming back to 7 deadly sins is Escanor. I have no idea what is happening, I've missed out on maybe 30 chapters. So many questions fill my head. But that can wait.

Praise the Sun!

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 13, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Asumi is the actual best girl.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Escanor is loving great. People always think that THIS is the time he'll job. But nope!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
escanor and his mustache make every other character in the manga look like poo poo by comparison

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

I'm convinced the only thing that keeps me coming back to 7 deadly sins is Escanor. I have no idea what is happening, I've missed out on maybe 30 chapters. So many questions fill my head. But that can wait.

Praise the Sun!

I still like it even without Escanor.
But Escanor is insanely awesome. With his flaming mustache and the endless prideful smacktalk. He's just entertaining to watch and I hope he continues on for a long time despite the internal bleeding.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

escanor and his mustache make every other character in the manga look like poo poo by comparison
This. During the introduction of the One his mustache even manages to look evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I really like the fact that during this time. He really is the strongest being out there. Like it's not just something to sound cool, or to make the villains look strong.
When he is "THE ONE" he can mess up anyone he meets. Main villain and protagonist alike.