Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:supaburn: :popeye: :zenpop: :love:

♥️🔫🐦

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Potato Salad posted:

:supaburn: :popeye: :zenpop: :love:

♥️🔫🐦
:yossame:

(so goddamn cute)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Man, I love looking at great birds. And this thread is full of em

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

My favourite thing about birds is when you can see the love in their eyes, and they have so much love to give.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I wish Pinto looked at me the way he looks at a bag of grapes.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Banan and I have just about settled into our new place. No more sharing our home with anti-birdites.

He gets to stay in a bright and sunny living room instead of a fairly dark corner in my semi-basement apartment bedroom. I honestly expected to wait a few days for him to adjust but he's been happy since day 1 of the move, even singing for some strangers in the elevator and saying he was a baby bird.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I bet he's happier because you're happier! :3: Congratulations on the move. He IS a baby bird.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

oh goodness what a sweetheart!! He's a very good baby bird and he looks so happy!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Banan and I have just about settled into our new place. No more sharing our home with anti-birdites.

He gets to stay in a bright and sunny living room instead of a fairly dark corner in my semi-basement apartment bedroom. I honestly expected to wait a few days for him to adjust but he's been happy since day 1 of the move, even singing for some strangers in the elevator and saying he was a baby bird.

Your fluffy lemon is very cute :3:

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I've been on SA forever and never knew we had a bird crazies thread until someones avatar popped up. Here's our chickens.

Will be 5 years old this April and one is very vocal with a vocabulary of about ~12 words. The other has been picking up more since he sees how happy everyone gets when his sister talks.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
please tell me more about caiques, if we get another bird in a year or so i was thinking of getting a caique.

caiques <3

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

toxicmasculinity.jpg

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

GoldStandardConure posted:

please tell me more about caiques, if we get another bird in a year or so i was thinking of getting a caique.

caiques <3

Originally we were just going to get one but after spending a few days at the shop we thought it would be best to get two as they were siblings and starting to bond. We recently found out that one is male (Teemo) and the other is female (Tibbers).

My wife has had birds prior to this however this was completly new to me. They both have very unique personalities and the male does really well around new people, stepping up and playing with them immediately. Female does not like most people at first but given ~10 minutes will warm up and usually crawl around. Since we have two they keep eachother entertained a lot when we're not home, and even more so when they are given free roam of the room we are in. Favorite perch spot is my on wrists as my wife tries to use her PC.

They're very rough players, very similar to puppies. They'll "hold" with their beaks and flip over wanting to be rolled around or slid across the floor. Wrestling is very common and looks dangerous but they will constantly wrestle each other down to the ground and then bounce in circles before one decides to start the fight again. They thrive in a set schedule, my wife gets them up at 7AM and hangs out until she leaves for work. They're out of their cage at 5PM until 8/9PM unless they walk themselves into their bedroom first. A few nights a week they'll both finish cleaning eachother up and plop to the floor and walk to their bedroom.

Not sure if it is our local bird store pulling our leg but both are able to speak quite a few words which we're told is uncommon for caiques. They know a couple of tricks but unfortunately want absolutely nothing to do with harness training OR most common training toys. Either way they seem very happy and as I'm sure you have birds you already know how the expenses add up to keep a bird happy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

faantastic posted:

Originally we were just going to get one but after spending a few days at the shop we thought it would be best to get two as they were siblings and starting to bond. We recently found out that one is male (Teemo) and the other is female (Tibbers).

I hate laning top against your bird. They sound absolutely adorable all the same though, especially the play-fighting. :kimchi:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

faantastic posted:

I've been on SA forever and never knew we had a bird crazies thread until someones avatar popped up. Here's our chickens.

Will be 5 years old this April and one is very vocal with a vocabulary of about ~12 words. The other has been picking up more since he sees how happy everyone gets when his sister talks.
I love how the strict color delineation makes caiques look like they were put together from left over parrot parts :3:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The VW Harlequin Beetle of birds :3:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

okay, so Terra is a gremlin and hasn't actually bathed since I got him. I bought him a little birdy bath but as you've seen, he just sits on the edge and either shits in it, drinks the water or does one, then the other. He's not interested at all in the shower and is terrified of the spray bottle I got to mist him with, which so far has been the only way to keep him vaguely clean because at least if he's in his cage I can mist him a little bit but I'd rather not have to do that, I want him to enjoy baths and not think its a punishment or something.

Like any new parrot owner I looked it up online and what I've read so far ranges from "babies are gremlins but they'll figure it out eventually, just give it time" to "just force him into the shower or something, its not like they get a choice in the wild" so I thought I'd turn to the birb thread -- should I just wait and keep giving him water to bathe in and hope he figures it out by himself or is forcing him the way to go?

EDIT: Thought it was worth it to mention also, when he gets a mistin' he doesn't put his wings up or anything, he just....stands there and hopes that it'll be over soon. His underside is a little greenish and he smells, goddammit Terra you gross child let me bathe you!!

Faerie Fortune fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 8, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Keep misting him, I think he'll learn to like it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I find that whether or not a bird will bathe often depends on exactly how the water is presented to them; they're picky as hell. You can mist them. You can put them next to an open tap and see if they'll play in it. You can try the same thing with a different sink in another part of the house.

Like, Ozy stopped bathing after we threw away the old tupperware she bathed in and it took awhile for her to take to a different plastic dish.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

My budgie hen only likes to bathe in dishes.

She doesn't care about the size.

She's a good bird. She's staying with a goon in this thread while I'm out of town for a few days and I miss her :3:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

thanks for the advice pals, in exchange have an angry, wet Terra who is currently refusing to take treats from me because he's mad at me

https://twitter.com/superherofae/status/1060587965662052352

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I probably sound like I'm on repeat here, but have you tried misting yourself in front of him and acting like it's the most fun thing ever? They're very flocky little birds and usually love to do the same things together with their family.

Not like Pookie - she does not care for baths either in mist or reasonably-sized bowl -form. The only good bath is taken in the vicinity of a comically undersized dish, and is performed by very carefully dipping each of your feet into the water then fluffing yourself up and flapping vigorously. She is a grubby grubby bird.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I achieved showers with Sera by bringing him into the shower with me. He gets a place to sit and watch. I scrub down, and then Sera gets the opportunity to come sit on my shoulder or hand near (but not directly in) the shower spray, where it splashes off of me and on to him. He enjoys it, and likes hotter water, which I think is why the spray bottle has never been successful with him.

With Ozzy, who I don't think even knew how to take a bath before he came to me, it took nine months of demonstrating "shower" with me and Sera and holding him near the water and giving him the opportunity before he actually decided to participate. He has bathed twice now. Twice. He's my stinky boy.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Don't do what I did and try to "force" the bird to bathe. I made that mistake with my budgie the first month with him. Nothing bad happened, he was just obviously not liking my approach.

What happened was one day after changing his water dish, he tried to force himself in exactly lsike this:

Hug in a Can posted:

My budgie hen only likes to bathe in dishes.

She doesn't care about the size.

That's when I knew he was ready. I filled a small glass bowl with a bit of water and he just went in on his own. They'll let you know!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I achieved showers with Sera by bringing him into the shower with me. He gets a place to sit and watch. I scrub down, and then Sera gets the opportunity to come sit on my shoulder or hand near (but not directly in) the shower spray, where it splashes off of me and on to him. He enjoys it, and likes hotter water, which I think is why the spray bottle has never been successful with him.

With Ozzy, who I don't think even knew how to take a bath before he came to me, it took nine months of demonstrating "shower" with me and Sera and holding him near the water and giving him the opportunity before he actually decided to participate. He has bathed twice now. Twice. He's my stinky boy.

I just brought Pinto into the shower with me for the first time yesterday. He seemed to enjoy the water splashing off of me, not wanting to go directly into the shower stream. Only problem is that he never wants to step off my shoulder or finger. Makes showering very tough when I can only wash with one hand.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Also don't spray them directly, shoot the mist up over them and let it settle onto them.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Cricket is s shower girl...she LOVES to take showers with me and is her preferred way to bathe. Every so often tho, something breaks in her little mind and only the kitchen sink will do. Shes pretty clean overall...she likes being a well-washed young ladybird. Its funny, we even sniff her and tell her she smells good and she says it back to us. "OOOOOOOoooooo you smell gooooood!!" She also will lift her wings and do sniff noises if we tell her she has stinky birdie pits :)

Trevor however... is s such a little boy. He prefers to take his bath IN his water dish after he has made pellet soup in it, He really stunk for a bit, but I think I have gotten him to enjoy the shower with me. He gets a happy look on his face when he is under there. We are working on the bathing tho...i have no clue why he loves his icky pellet soup water (and his water is changed like 3-4 times a day!!) to splash in, but he gets completely soaked from head to toe. I swear he looks like a drowned chicken half the time. He would probably love to be in a house with little boys who play with mud puddles etc....ugh...he is something else.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My coworker has been bringing in her little juvenile parrotlet into the office to socialize him. I've never been exposed to birds as pets and man is he adorable and getting me thinking about birbs. Not sure if that would work with my two cats, however.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I don't generally recommend people own birds and other pets at the same time. People do it all the time and it works out fine but IMO birds are just a huge amount of work compared to cats/dogs/what have you, so I feel most comfortable owning just a bird or two and not worrying about taking on too much.

Though enjoy the babby parrotlet visits, parrots are amazing pets and way more social than I think your average person realizes.

If you decide you might want to take on a bird anyways I'd recommend really doing some research on the exact needs and requirements of the various birds, something like a cockatiel or Green Cheek Conure are good starting birds but IMO budgies are top tier first time birds. Pet cats will totally try to eat pet birds sometimes though, so unless you know for sure that your cats won't (and I don't know how you really could) I would never let the birds and cats out at the same time in the same space. Even supervised cats can catch and kill a small pet parrot really quick.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My coworker has been bringing in her little juvenile parrotlet into the office to socialize him. I've never been exposed to birds as pets and man is he adorable and getting me thinking about birbs. Not sure if that would work with my two cats, however.

Agent355 posted:

I don't generally recommend people own birds and other pets at the same time. People do it all the time and it works out fine but IMO birds are just a huge amount of work compared to cats/dogs/what have you, so I feel most comfortable owning just a bird or two and not worrying about taking on too much.

Though enjoy the babby parrotlet visits, parrots are amazing pets and way more social than I think your average person realizes.

If you decide you might want to take on a bird anyways I'd recommend really doing some research on the exact needs and requirements of the various birds, something like a cockatiel or Green Cheek Conure are good starting birds but IMO budgies are top tier first time birds. Pet cats will totally try to eat pet birds sometimes though, so unless you know for sure that your cats won't (and I don't know how you really could) I would never let the birds and cats out at the same time in the same space. Even supervised cats can catch and kill a small pet parrot really quick.
This is very much true. I had both a bird and a cat for a few years and while I made it work, it was more work and I felt like one or the other of them got the short end of the stick at times in a way that made me decide no more birds until I no longer have another pet. Some people are able to manage it better, but just be aware that it is more work and one accident is all it takes.

Parrotlets are such awesome little things. Feisty little bags of sass.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Yeah considering how prey orientated our cats are I think t’s a nonstarter. They're adorable but also nature's perfect killing machines.

I just had no idea how personable and intelligent birds are.

His name is Teddy and he is my friend.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 9, 2018

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tendai posted:

I love how the strict color delineation makes caiques look like they were put together from left over parrot parts :3:

the parachute pants are the best part

e: forgot this happened yesterday, apparently the beard is too comfortable to be disturbed by a stupid phone

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yeah considering how prey orientated our cats are I think t’s a nonstarter. They're adorable but also nature's perfect killing machines.

The first time I saw a parrotlet in real life, it was basically an aquarium that had 20 juveniles in it. They were all squeaking furiously to get let out, and it was the most adorable display of impotent rage that I've ever seen. Teddy looks like a good little dude.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh my, so fluff, very happy. Definitely a friend

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

holy gently caress he's so fuzzy

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Teddy is adorable.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1060722187437572097

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

some very very very very good birds in here recently

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

some very very very very good birds in here recently

I couldn't have said it better myself. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Post Ama and Charlie and also Serra, the good bird party must continue :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

cts.

We had to cover a reflective logo on a laptop because he saw himself in it and tried to fight it.