Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Here's my overall take on yesterday:

• Overall by the vote total numbers Americans rejected Trumpism, resoundingly.

• The Democratic *candidates* generally did great. This was especially true where they ran left rather than ran to the center.

• Unfortunately, due to structural factors (voter disenfranchisement, the structure of the senate, the existence of fox news) those great candidates could only do so much, and so we won a partial victory rather than sweeping the board.

• Left-wing ballot initiatives also had a good night, though.

Conclusion therefore: We need to keep pushing and fighting as hard as we can, but structural voting reform needs to be a priority, especially where it can be established via ballot initiatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

For anyone who still think demographics are destiny for the democrats, I would like them to meet the new rep for CA-39 (Orange County), the first korean american woman in congresss who is 100% trumpist.

She won in a district that's only 34% white, so much for that destiny.
What? Korean Americans have always leaned conservative, especially wealthy Korean Americans.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Xae posted:

They're going to continue to say "there is no point in investigations" right up until they say "This is a very serious accusation that warrants a full and thorough investigation". They're trying to prevent the Republicans from framing any investigations as witch hunts by downplaying their interest in them.
But Pelosi didn't immediately smear her forehead in lambs' blood and start raving incoherently about vengeance, therefore Dems Bad you see

Ginette Reno posted:

So isn't 2020 a pretty lovely map for the Senate too? If I'm not mistaken vulnerable Republican senators = Cordy Gardner(Col), Susan Collins (Maine), and Thom Tillis (North Carolina).

But the Dems also have like 3-4 (at least) vulnerable Senators in coin flip states.

I guess if there's a massive blue wave and the Dems keep building momentum maybe there could be some unexpected gains but if it didn't happen last night I'm struggling to see how it could happen in 2020 unless some Obama-like hope and change savant emerges.

You should probably put winning the Senate out of your mind

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

No. You use the Senate to gerrymander the House districts, and thus depress voter turnout by making it look like nothing matters.

I should have been more clear, sorry.

The US Senate doesn't draw Congressional lines either.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Scott Walker just posted this:

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/1060183430183510016

hahahahahahahaha

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Xae posted:

GOP congressman, who once lamented not being able to call women 'sluts,' loses to a woman.

They're going to continue to say "there is no point in investigations" right up until they say "This is a very serious accusation that warrants a full and thorough investigation". They're trying to prevent the Republicans from framing any investigations as witch hunts by downplaying their interest in them.

Is there a point to it, though? I doubt that anyone left that either doesn't know the witch hunt thing is bullshit, or hasn't bought it hook, line and sinker from day one and already thinks just voting democratic is treason. Who is the pantomine for, other than 56 Never-Trump blokes in op-ed pages of newspapers fewer people read each day?

It's not like she (or whomever gets the job) even needs to come our sharpening knives. Just do a bold speech about his this is a mandate for vigorous transparency, oversight and good governance as well as holding back abuse. Give the base -something- to stay energized and mobilized instead of sending them home to stew until you call upon them again to put out the fires next election.

Seeing how things are shaping up here in Brazil, in the US and other places, having your people engaged and on board out of the election season seems to be at least as important as during ballot time.

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
Other than the fact that the current administration won't be able to push through any more awful legislation, I can't really see any upside to the dems taking the house. Things staying at status quo still isn't a good thing for the vast majority of Americans. Until the left takes control of the senate (which may not happen for decades until the boomers finish dying off given demographic shifts of liberal voters out of red states), I don't see any way to staunch the bleeding of wealth out of the lower/middle class into the vaults of the upper class. Under current taxation/spending policy, the upper class's share of the nation's wealth will continue to grow while that of the bottom 90% will continue to shrink.

Also I'm not really why people are saying trump is "shook" as a result of that tweet he made about Pelosi. Her being Speaker would be best case scenario for republicans given her general lack of a spine and centrist bullshit.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

• The Democratic *candidates* generally did great. This was especially true where they ran left rather than ran to the center.

• Unfortunately, due to structural factors (voter disenfranchisement, the structure of the senate, the existence of fox news) those great candidates could only do so much, and so we won a partial victory rather than sweeping the board.

Conclusion therefore: We need to keep pushing and fighting as hard as we can, but structural voting reform needs to be a priority, especially where it can be established via ballot initiatives.

Exactly. Be encouraged by last night. It proved Donny Peepants isn't invincible and it proved that polling science (for the most part) has merit again. Democrats have real power on the federal level again and now we can start a proper investigation into Donny's ties to Russia. Adam Schiff now has his hands around Devin Nunes' throat and Maxine Waters can subpoena Donny's underpants if she wants.

Although I will say Nate Silver probably woke up to several bricks thrown through his windows.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 7, 2018

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Liquid Communism posted:

No. You use the Senate to gerrymander the House districts, and thus depress voter turnout by making it look like nothing matters.

I should have been more clear, sorry.

What? House districts are gerrymandered by the states.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tibalt posted:

The economy going bad is almost certainly a bad thing for Trump.

America very consistently blames the president for a recession.

Well it's not like we have crops rotting in the field and plants unable to fulfill orders due to tariffs.

Wait, we DO have that?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Soothing Vapors posted:

But Pelosi didn't immediately smear her forehead in lambs' blood and start raving incoherently about vengeance, therefore Dems Bad you see

don't pretend you wouldn't love this

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Liquid Communism posted:

No. You use the Senate to gerrymander the House districts
My fondest wish is that PPJ institutes a new policy where you have to pass a civics test confirming that you have even a rudimentary understanding of American politics before you can post in this thread

Condiv posted:

don't pretend you wouldn't love this
I mean, yeah

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Your Taint posted:

lol if you believe a single person who voted Republican in 2016 or yesterday would believe it was Trump's fault for a single second.

The purestrain trumpists by themselves are a minority. The goal is to swamp them, not to convert them. Democrats win by motivating EVERYONE ELSE, e.g. by convincing them that Trump is bankrupting them.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Shortish term, continuing to vote so as to deny the assholes semi-legitimate victories makes sense. Direct action makes sense. Gearing up for 2020 makes sense. Being happy for the current victory makes sense.

But given the unique nature of the senate and its powerful ability to ratfuck the entire nation based on the whims of a smaller and smaller proportion of the electorate, am I wrong in that there's no sane way that this government gets unfucked? Even if you turned the entire nation nominally blue, in what world do you convince smaller states to give up power like that without some really bad poo poo happening first?

I realize today is a beer and pretzels kinda day, I've just kind of been stuck obsessing over the Senate question for ages now.

It really is a serious problem. There's still a decent chance we can take the Senate in 2020, but if that doesn't happen, the urban/rural divide seems liable to break the chamber entirely after that point, and the Senate will probably be lost until the next realignment or until global warming floods the coasts and sends Sane America fleeing into the Mad Max interior.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Aggro posted:

Are there any potential Democratic candidates who don’t qualify for Medicare? Bernie and Warren are both on the wrong side of 65.

Welcome, friend, to D&D very own place to house such information!

My Twitter Account posted:

So the Dems aren't going to be so stupid as to actually elect Pelosi speaker again, are they?
After 2016, Pelosi was challenged from the right by centrist Tim Ryan and his supporters who lead the Blue Dog Caucus. Ryan, who a year prior to the challenge discovered (after more than a decade in congress) that he actually wasn't pro life, has begun saying nice things about MFA in the aftermath of his defeat. He is almost certain to challenge Pelosi again.

Frequently floated as a possible progressive contender, Barbara Lee has announced her plan to run for the Caucus Chair, which will be vacant thanks to the efforts of AOC. Her current campaigning for the spot would come in handy in a speakership bid but, for reasons discussed below, I find it more likely she'd run for a vacant position than challenge Pelosi.

Part of the concern about a speakership challenge is that the new Dem members of the caucus are largely establishment-friendly candidates in purple and red districts. If progressive Dems couldn't muster a viable challenge after an election that saw Trump's coattails kick out purple and red district establishment Dems in 2016, why would we expect them to succeed in a more establishment-friendly environment?

If you want anyone but Pelosi, there's a reasonably solid chance that happens. If you want a Speaker to Pelosi's left, the outlook is bleak.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in lighter news, rudy's divorce is very funny

https://twitter.com/messagetime/status/1060186549638365184

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1060064643987648512

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You guys probably pissed off my friend's scumbag Trumpist father something fierce. He's a gun nut and after Sandy Hook, when Malloy signed those new gun laws, he got so pissy he actually TAPED OVER the "Constitution State" part of his license plate in protest.

CT voters are just by and large brain damaged. When it comes to governors, we've got a real hard on for switching it up to "give the other side a chance." That, Lamont being about as milquetoast as they come, and the fact that everyone around here unfairly blames Malloy for CT's post-recession malaise had me pretty convinced that Stefanowski was going to pull it out.

Happy to be wrong, though. I'm family friends with a lot of the CT GOP's leadership and the fact that they just got completely trounced here fills me with joy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

haveblue posted:

Population trends in the US have Democrats concentrating in cities and the sparsely populated areas of the country becoming more Republican. However, since all states have equal representation in the Senate and not all of them have large cities where this is happening, more Senate seats are trending red than are trending blue. It's a sort of implicit natural gerrymander that is expected to lead to Dem senators from urbanized states being elected by huge margins but being outnumbered by GOP senators from rural states with low total voters.

It's not really clear what can be done about this since state boundaries are effectively immutable and there's no good way to stop this migration- rural red states are simply not attractive places to live for the mobile generations.

That makes sense. But I mean, the end conclusion of this reasoning is that we'll be stuck with a permanently gridlocked legislature, which is clearly not an acceptable outcome. Something will have to be done, but short of a constitutional amendment, which is obviously politically impossible, I can't imagine what that could possibly be.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Well it's not like we have crops rotting in the field and plants unable to fulfill orders due to tariffs.

Wait, we DO have that?

Yup, drove past a poo poo load of soy and corn being left to rot in fields last night. We've had several frosts and the crop is useless at this point.

It wasn't even plowed under which means they plan on leaving the land fallow next year.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I cannot wait for the impending constitutional crisis when the White House refuses to comply with US House of Rep subpoenas.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So for the first time I had somebody call me an NPC online. What's a good method, for if this happens in person, to not beat the poo poo out of such a person? Because I'm afraid I might do that and I'd rather not do that.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Can the House do anything with regards to Kemp?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

I gave her $25 when that story came out. I don't think I was the only one, either. Go Angie!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Your Taint posted:

Bill Nelson has officially called for a recount, per CNN.

Good

Gillum should not have conceded. Lord knows if the margins were reversed DeSantis would not have.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

I cannot wait for the impending constitutional crisis when the White House refuses to comply with US House of Rep subpoenas.

that's not what 'constitutional crisis' means, it would require non-compliance, a court order, then ignoring that order

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

CT voters are just by and large brain damaged. When it comes to governors, we've got a real hard on for switching it up to "give the other side a chance." That, Lamont being about as milquetoast as they come, and the fact that everyone around here unfairly blames Malloy for CT's post-recession malaise had me pretty convinced that Stefanowski was going to pull it out.

Happy to be wrong, though. I'm family friends with a lot of the CT GOP's leadership and the fact that they just got completely trounced here fills me with joy.

We just reelected a Republican governor here in your neighbor to the North by a 2-1 margin.

You have nothing on us in terms of dain bramage.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

So here's my thoughts on last night:

1) I think what happened was that the entire election was basically nationalized. Democrats wanted - especially in the Senate - to run individualized races about the tremendously unpopular stuff that Republicans did, like trying to take away people's healthcare. Trump was successful in converting the election into a referendum on him. That worked in the Senate and in red states; it did not work in suburban areas. For Democrats to do as well as we'd hoped Republicans needed to stay home (like Democrats did in 2010 and 2014), but they didn't. This also means that this election was somewhat of a preview of 2020, and I'm not sure I like the results. Pennsylvania and Michigan moved back hard into the Democratic column, but WI is close, Florida stayed Republican, and so did Ohio (Brown's win notwithstanding). I haven't looked at North Carolina, but it looks to me like the Democratic path to unseating Trump in 2020 runs through taking back Pennsylvania and Michigan, and then taking either Wisconsin or North Carolina. My assumption is that if there was a hotly contested governor election where there's not significant crossover support, that's a bellweather for 2020. If there wasn't, the Senate race was (again, assuming no significant crossover support like for Brown or Manchin) the bellweather. If neither of those two existed, I want to look at total house votes per state. My fear is that Democrats won the House by sweeping out the garbage in blue states - NY, NJ, CA, etc - which does not help in a presidential election.

2) This election seems to show that the Trump realignment - rural and uneducated whites to the Republican party, suburbs and urban areas to the Democratic party - is continuing. This is partially good - those suburbs have more people and were key to last night's victories - and deeply problematic, because the Constitution has a heavy, heavy rural bias due to the Senate.

3) A lot of theories about how Democrats can come back in 2020 got tested and I don't know what the results are, but in the next few days we'll have better information. Florida is particularly interesting, as boring uninteresting Nelson and young, charismatic Gillum both lost, and both got about the same amount of votes. I don't know if you can read anything into Nelson getting a tiny bit more votes, but I suspect not. What will be important is why did both lose when they were ahead in the polls? What went wrong on the turnout modeling, what is fixable and not fixable? When looking at individual house races, who won vs. who lost? Where did Dems win vs. lose? This is a hard problem because everyone's strong bias is "they won where they followed my preferred policy and lost where they didn't" (including mine), and it's also going to be hard to tease out issues of candidate quality vs. demographics. But for example, the impression I got (and I have not looked closely today) is that Democrats largely won by flipping suburban districts that used to be Republican and trended strongly towards Clinton, rather than recapturing former Democratic districts that flipped to Trump. If that's it, it may simply be that changing demographics dictated the result and we can't learn much about what the best path forward in 2020 is. But that's a huge amount of information that's really important to dig into.

4) It was so, so, so important to take the House, but the Senate results fill me with dread. All of the viable paths to fixing the country required a Democratic trifecta in 2020 to ram through some key reforms - add PR and DC as states, to counteract the drift of the Senate to a republican lock; voting rights reforms; and popular economic policies that can get passed and will solidify support for Democrats. All of those things will get blocked out of hand by a Republican Senate. I do not know if it's possible to win the Senate now in 2020. If Democrats win the Presidency in 2020 but Republicans keep the Senate, my fear is that Republicans will block anything at all from getting done and Democrats will not turn out in 2022, losing the House and losing the only chance to flip the Senate if they don't in 2020. So that's a kick in the nuts.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Your Taint posted:

lol if you believe a single person who voted Republican in 2016 or yesterday would believe it was Trump's fault for a single second.
I mean... historically I'd say it's the thing I'd most believe would make people vote against their candidate or stay home.

Bad Economy = Bad President has been very consistent for the last 60+ years.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

So for the first time I had somebody call me an NPC online. What's a good method, for if this happens in person, to not beat the poo poo out of such a person? Because I'm afraid I might do that and I'd rather not do that.

If it’s social media, delete it that poo poo is poison.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Does anyone have any more insight into why GA Gov hasn’t been called? Abrams thinks there’s a line to a runoff but there would need to be about 33k more absentee/provisional votes for either her or the libertarian chin with kemp gaining zero to drop him under 50%.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

that's not what 'constitutional crisis' means, it would require non-compliance, a court order, then ignoring that order

it's also a constitutional crisis when a politically stacked court blatantly refuses to enforce the subpoena because it's not in the interests of the Republican party

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yes. That is correct.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any assessment that doesn't conclude "but seriously, gently caress Florida racists" is incomplete imo.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
https://twitter.com/Breznican/status/1060181879834329088

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Scott Walker just posted this:

https://twitter.com/ScottWalker/status/1060183430183510016

hahahahahahahaha

Burn in hell you Reagan-worshipping sack of poo poo, hope you enjoy unemployment

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'll still be doing tweet dumps which are a) unignorable because I'm a mod and people got really really irate about not being able to just skip over them which I find hilarious and b) I have time to do them not as canvassing/phonebanking is over and Patel lost by 20+ points.

edit: I'm adding the bookmarklet from the previous thread that only shows pictures/youtubes/tweets in posts.

I actually put you on my ignore list because of those tweet dumps. You’re the only person on my ignore list.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Calling someone an NPC means they've gone past "normal" Trumpism into full-blown Internet fash. Beating the poo poo out of them is your patriotic duty, comrade.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

evilweasel posted:

but WI is close

It shouldn't be, though. Wisconsin is the way it is due to voter suppression. I'm still really mad it was as close as it was for Evers, and Bryce should've won. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Give them a quest to suck 15 dicks in exchange for a trashy pauldron