Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CNN just called IL-13 for Londrigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Niwrad posted:

CNN just called IL-13 for Londrigan.

Is the NYT that far off? They've got it 95% for Davis and that's where I've been getting my numbers

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Called for Underwood in 14

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Devo posted:

Is the NYT that far off? They've got it 95% for Davis and that's where I've been getting my numbers

No clue. Was surprised CNN called it but I think the votes remaining in that district are in Champaign where she is doing well.

Edit: She's actually losing looking at the SunTimes vote tracker.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

brugroffil posted:

Called for Underwood in 14

Underwood is great. So happy she won.

I thought her campaign was perfect. Took a couple issues that really affect that district (taxes and health care) and hammered her opponent for screwing over the constituents.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Niwrad posted:

No clue. Was surprised CNN called it but I think the votes remaining in that district are in Champaign where she is doing well.

Edit: She's actually losing looking at the SunTimes vote tracker.

NYT is showing Champaign County as 100% in which means it's over. Politico seems to concur. CNN is smoking something.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Devo posted:

NYT is showing Champaign County as 100% in which means it's over. Politico seems to concur. CNN is smoking something.

I don't know then. Bizarre that they would call it before Underwood if they didn't see something in the data.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

It's ridiculously close but if there's no more votes coming from Champaign then everything west of I-57 is chud central. Piatt County still showing 0% which means my vote hasn't been counted yet :mad:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Looking at the map it seems like most of the votes left are going to go for him. gently caress CNN if they hosed up.

I noticed all the local papers and TV stations are using CNN's call and reporting she won.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well at the very least Aaron Ammons won Champaign County clerk so all the voting shenanigans with crappy machines and not enough machines/polling places open on campus or in majority minority areas will get fixed. Champaign county went about entirely blue. Even got a county sheriff that may hopefully reinstate the excellent mental illness task force from the late 90s and will def help with sanctuary cities etc. Too bad it’s an island of sanity in a sea of red corn and soybeans.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Democrats took all 5 county races in Champaign. Almost won a House seat too.

It would be cool if Champaign could keep this up and become our Madison.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Fuuuuck Davis punk rear end won.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What caused Rauner's people to jump ship so hard that Pritzker kicked his rear end like this? Is it just because he's the worst of a bad lot and IL is a dem state anyway? Or did he do/say something leading up to the polls? I don't really follow the political world that closely but I live here so I figured I might as well ask what's up.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I know Trump snubbed him at some downstate rally.
I mean optimistically it's because he didn't pass a budget for ages but that probably didn't count for anything.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

He signed a pro abortion bill and it pissed off his base enough that two other Republicans ran against him and he’s been a silent never Trumper (like he seriously had not uttered Trumps name once until a few weeks ago) so the chuds had no love for him either. He also signed a pro-immigration bill (Trust Act) that prevents illegal immigrants from being arrested just because they’re illegal and taxes were raised during his tenure (over his veto) so that was a trifecta. The handling of dead veterans due to. Legionnaires didn’t help either (though I don’t know why people were surprised he was killing retirees in nursing homes before he got elected).

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dexo posted:

Fuuuuck Davis punk rear end won.
:(

He's not my rep - I'm in Normal, which is stuck with LaHood. But I was really hoping.

Glad about the other pickups, though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Republicans getting swept out of the suburbs is huge. Dupage and Kane county have not voted for the D governor in 60+ years. A black woman won in Dupage county for the House. I think this has carried nationally too, with Republicans losing suburbs all over the country.

Nationally, I think it was a mixed bag for Democrats, but at least in Illinois we had a strong showing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
A bunch of state workers are republican as all hell. He pissed off the state workers by going after the union. Rip winning Sangamon. Like there were a number of places down here that had signs for JB and Rodney Davis.

He almost got primaried by a relative nobody for not being Trumpy enough.

If Ives was male he would have definitely lost.

Nobody liked Rauner

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Remember when MIGF was convinced that Rauner was going to be president

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Republicans getting swept out of the suburbs is huge. Dupage and Kane county have not voted for the D governor in 60+ years. A black woman won in Dupage county for the House. I think this has carried nationally too, with Republicans losing suburbs all over the country.

Nationally, I think it was a mixed bag for Democrats, but at least in Illinois we had a strong showing.

Nationally it's not even a mixed bag. They managed to win a comically gerrymanderd house back, senate was always going to be a loss. Gilliam is the only race where the polling and prognostication was wrong. Beto and Abrams was always a long shot pipe dream.

And even then Beto loving caused a goddamn red wedding downballot in Texas.

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

What caused Rauner's people to jump ship so hard that Pritzker kicked his rear end like this? Is it just because he's the worst of a bad lot and IL is a dem state anyway? Or did he do/say something leading up to the polls? I don't really follow the political world that closely but I live here so I figured I might as well ask what's up.

It's important to note the context of how Rauner won in the first place. Quinn was the least popular first-term governor in the country on the basis that people felt he was an ineffective leader who failed to make any progress on the state's financial situation. This was around the time when the "run the government like a business or a household" bullshit was going on. Rauner was seen a businessman with the know how to make the state's finances work and that he'd reach across the table to work with Democrats to get poo poo done.

Instead he came in, immediately pursued a neoconservative agenda of union busting, and in an effort to get Democrats to cave, refused to sign a state budget for three years. During that time we racked up billions in debt, the state and many of its institutions had their credit rating downgraded to near junk status, funding was cut repeatedly for many state services, we experienced the highest population loss of any state in 2016, we continued to fall behind other states on a lot of common sense legislation, etc.

No matter how much Rauner and the Tribune tried to blame it on Madigan for not allowing us to be more like Kentucky and Indiana, Rauner wasn't really going to get that goodwill back. He ended up sharing the same distinction as Quinn back in 2014 as the least popular first-term governor in America.

Sound Insect fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 7, 2018

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Dexo posted:

Nationally it's not even a mixed bag. They managed to win a comically gerrymanderd house back, senate was always going to be a loss. Gilliam is the only race where the polling and prognostication was wrong. Beto and Abrams was always a long shot pipe dream.

And even then Beto loving caused a goddamn red wedding downballot in Texas.

I say mixed bag because I had hopes the Dems would at least hold the line in the senate, but it's looking like they will lose a few seats. FL is disappointing too, losing both the governor and senate race there, even if they are extremely close. Getting Walker out in WI is big though. Maybe GA will come through for Abrams, but not holding much hope there. It's frustrating to see some states make huge gains, like TX and GA, where most times Democrats wouldn't even have a shot, but then FL and OH, where things were pretty close before, still are Republican.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Senate was always gonna be an L

The dems had about the same chance at keeping even with the senate as the GOP had for keeping the house. Not very good. It was an terrible year for the senate seats up.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Good riddance to Pete Roskam. Fall in a hole on your way out, dickhead.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also despite losing the governor and senate races in Florida, the most important vote there passed and now 1.4 million former felons are re-enfranchised which could make a huge difference in future elections.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CJacobs posted:

He spent years destroying nearly every social service he could, thinking he was stronger than the legislature and they'd do what he wanted. This pissed off Republicans who cared about running the state well, since he wasn't running it at all
Then he signed abortion legislation that pissed off all the social conservatives, leading to an actual primary from his right via Ives

Also he directly got a bunch of veterans killed in Quincy trying to cover up a disease outbreak

He had nothing to run on since he refused to work even the tiniest bit with Dems

Statewide looks like supermajority in the house , not sure on senate. I saw one house race had a margin of one vote and a Senate race a margin of 12 so there's gonna be recounts.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

He spent years destroying nearly every social service he could, thinking he was stronger than the legislature and they'd do what he wanted. This pissed off Republicans who cared about running the state well, since he wasn't running it at all
Then he signed abortion legislation that pissed off all the social conservatives, leading to an actual primary from his right via Ives

Also he directly got a bunch of veterans killed in Quincy trying to cover up a disease outbreak

He had nothing to run on since he refused to work even the tiniest bit with Dems

Statewide looks like supermajority in the house , not sure on senate. I saw one house race had a margin of one vote and a Senate race a margin of 12 so there's gonna be recounts.

They just said supermajority back in the house and widened it in the Senate so if Pritzker doesn't con-con as soon as his rear end hits the seats he's an idiot. Its going to be a pain in the rear end but it needs to be done.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Right, if Democrats want to they can pass legal weed, redo property tax funding of schools, fund universities, voting rights to felons, election day holiday, Medicaid for all , end cash bail, progressive income tax, something about pensions

We will see if they're actually willing to do any of it (nope)

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
gently caress me Davis is still in. :cripes:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
alright where the hell are my legal dank nugz

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Banana Man posted:

alright where the hell are my legal dank nugz
Michigan

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Rauner was just a really, really bad politician at the end of the day. Turns out being wealthy doesn't mean you're any good at actually running government.

Good thing we replaced him with a billionaire!!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, thanks for the answers, that's about what I expected.

dwarf74 posted:

:(

He's not my rep - I'm in Normal, which is stuck with LaHood. But I was really hoping.

Glad about the other pickups, though.

Woohoo go Normal. We ride together we suffer together we die together here in this boring nothing town

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Woohoo go Normal. We ride together we suffer together we die together here in this boring nothing town
I ... mostly like Normal.

I don't understand Bloomington most of the time, but Normal? It's pretty good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have lived here for all of my nearly 30 years and I still don't actually know where the border between Bloomington and Normal is. But I saw Rich Evans of Red Letter Media wearing a Corn Belters hat in a video and I did a fist pump so I've got that going for me.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm from Decatur and I really hope Rodney Davis eats poo poo

:):hf::) I feel like Decatur is mostly red so its always nice to hear from another Democrat. Betsy only lost by 1.4% (3,700 votes). It was so close she was still encouraging people to stay in line to vote after 7p.m. I don't think she's conceded, has she?

Eglamore
Apr 19, 2005

Walker told me I have AIDS.
Day later, so now I can post. I was an election Judge last night in a suburb in DuPage, and the length of that day plus the early news has played hell on my body. But, some data that nobody is probably reporting is that there were a number of split ballot tickets, with JB and then some republicans for local positions, or for whats-her-name over Raul. Almost 800 voters when we might get 300.

Throughout the day it felt like to me there were a lot of obviously staunch republicans, but the end results showed about a 60-40 or so preference for democrats. Older millenials are all in their 30's now, so it's not a super easy to identify group, but in retrospect, people born in the 70's-90 were out in high numbers. Plenty of enthusiasm, high ratio of women to men, and a decent amount of first or second time voters. From what I could gather, it seemed like mostly lot of older people voting republican, including lots of first generation Europeans. My guess is, aside from the judge who was the son of a candidate and an 18 year old young republican, a lot of people who might have looked like republicans weren't voting that way. Long-ish lines first thing in the morning and just before people went to work, and at lunch, and later in the day, but no one was standing in line when the polls closed. Of course, we're a suburb with plenty of polls, and had like, 10 booths, and we were pretty efficient.

But it was a long day and not a good way try to avoid looking at results and worrying all day.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

The Bold Kobold posted:

gently caress me Davis is still in. :cripes:
I didn't expect the 13th to flip. I hoped maybe but wasn't overly surprised that it didn't. It was closer than I thought, though, so I guess moral victory? Curious to see voter turnout numbers for the counties right around me (if someone has a quick link to that sort of thing I'd appreciate it!) I'm in Madison county and it did skew republican per the return numbers I saw but the actual voter total seemed a bit low to me.

I do have one huge bitch, the loving polling place a friend went to vote - for the first time ever - was really rude. When they found out it was his first time ever voting they laughed at him. Yes, he's pushing 40 and it's weird to me that he's never voted but he wanted to this year and did a bunch of research on the candidates and propositions. He went there informed about everything but exactly how the process worked and the old guy he asked for help made him feel stupid and unwelcome. Fortunately he can register to vote by mail but, gently caress, really? The first time I voted a nice woman explained the process, gave me a cookie and thanked me for taking the time to vote which is exactly how the process should go.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

dwarf74 posted:

I ... mostly like Normal.

I don't understand Bloomington most of the time, but Normal? It's pretty good.

I went to IWU and feel pretty much the opposite :waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Esmerelda posted:

I do have one huge bitch, the loving polling place a friend went to vote - for the first time ever - was really rude. When they found out it was his first time ever voting they laughed at him. Yes, he's pushing 40 and it's weird to me that he's never voted but he wanted to this year and did a bunch of research on the candidates and propositions. He went there informed about everything but exactly how the process worked and the old guy he asked for help made him feel stupid and unwelcome. Fortunately he can register to vote by mail but, gently caress, really? The first time I voted a nice woman explained the process, gave me a cookie and thanked me for taking the time to vote which is exactly how the process should go.

That sucks because the people at my polling place are usually really nice. They were a little grumpier than usual yesterday because they saw all the blue coming, but still mostly nice. I wish we got better stickers though because mine barely lasted 8 hours on my jacket.